Start by marking “Once Upon a Darkness” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Darkness

Once Upon a Darkness

Gretchen and her twin brother, Hank, were abandoned to a zombie horde when they were five years old. Intended to be a sacrifice by their zealot parents, they were instead rescued by The Company. Raised to become soldiers in the war against zombies, they now provide safe passage through danger zones, one contract at a time.

Clint's only skill is war, but he's weary of killin
Paperback, Print, 141 pages
Published June 17th 2013 by Createspace (first published May 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Darkness

Twinsie Talk Angie J
check out this review and others at
www.Twinsietalk.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/twinsietalk
@twinsietalk

I was given this book from the author for an honest review.

Ok so if you know me you are not shocked to see me reading a zombie novel right? Yes i love zombies. *raises my hand * I am an addict. I watch the Walking Dead and read other zombie novels with romance and action. SOOOOO when this review came through I jumped and said YES PLEASE!!!

Alrighty here goes....I really enjoyed the action and l
Abigail
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie
It was wonderful, fun and not long enough. I hope she writes more. Paced just right for a novella and written without it feeling rushed. I am a sucker for a good zombie book but this was more than just a zombie book. Hopefully it is just the first exposure and introduction to a group of great characters and survivalist.

Her background as a romance author shines through with her intimate scenes with Clint and Gretchen. However it is not overwhelming, it is used as a necessary story device. For me
Linda
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sexy, romantic, action-packed, teeming-with-danger apocalyptic story.

"What are you, Zombie Slayer Barbie?" Clint knew the words were a mistake before they left his lips.
She crossed her arms across her chest. He tried to keep his eyes from following them.
The big man in the back barked a laugh. "You'll pay for that one."

ONCE UPON A DARKNESS by Aria Kane is an emotional and gripping zombie apocalyptic survivalist tale interspersed with perfectly timed witty humor. AND it includes a sweet, hea
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, zombies, novella
Posted on What I'm Reading

All right, most of you know I'm not a fan of zombies. My least favorite show is The Walking Dead and here is a tidbit: it took me three days to watch Zombieland. My husband makes fun me, because he tells me it's not that scary. Hey, I don't like zombies, but I will try a zombie story every now and again. Todays zombie selection is Once Upon A Darkness by Aria Kane.

First off, I actually liked the story. I know, this is huge deal. Anyways, we have this group who do search
Miranda Jae
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all, I'd like to thank both Aria Kane and Goodreads First Reads for giving me the opportunity to read this amazing book!!

This was a very quick read, but it was pretty good. The author managed to fit this incredible story into a short 138 pages without making it feel rushed.
I loved that the lead female character was just as tough as (if not more than) all the lead male characters. You don't really see too many hardcore, kick-ass, "I can handle myself" kinds of chicks in books - usually t
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Once Upon a Darkness by Aria Kane

A group of four trained zombie fighters get caught in a net that may mean the end of their lives.

Fast moving, short and not terribly complex but a good zombie story. Gretchen is the clear leader of the group and it's nice to read a strong character without having to have a male dominate.
A bit unbelievable in the execution of their escape but I liked that their team made it out intact. I can definitely see this book as the start of a series.
Three syringes or four?
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
Zombie Fighters

An interesting tale that I wished was more developed. With the description I expected much more action then what was in there. I'm a little disappointed but I would gladly read the second book if there's ever one. I'm curious as to what's going to happen next. I usually don't bother to point out grammar errors but it really separates a good book from a great book. There wasn't a lot but there were some easily fixed errors like her should've been here. A read through would've fixed
Kayelee Rock
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How you make a zombie story romantic, witty, and charming, I don't know... but Aria has done so! This story includes characters that by far are not your typical characters; a kick-ass female lead, and a Hottie McHottie who actually has more than hotness going for him. Not to mention the cute nerdy twin brother. Gotta love those! I read it in one sitting and wanted more! Sequel? Let's hope!
Larissa
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting story with fun characters in an intriguing world. Aria's writing is fluid and easy to get lost in. My only complaint is that it's a novella rather than a novel. I wanted more!
Chris
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
Great book! Ms. Kane's work is fun and exciting. A page turner from beginning to end and great for satisfying your need for a zombie-read this summer. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
Marianne Torrez
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's Hansel and Gretel and zombies!
Melinda
Seriously a fast paced pull you into the action book. I sat down and read it in one sitting and wished there was more. The relationship between Gretchen and her twin brother Hank is very strong as it has been them against the world (zombie and human) after being abandoned by their parents. Add Erik who may not be blood related but life has made him more than just a friend to these two and you can tell they would do anything for one another. I love the banter between the three. The relationship b ...more
Amanda (Hootie) Clark
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
My closest friends know I am a complete sucker for almost all things zombie. From the cheesy 80's Night of The Living Dead, to the Resident Evil movies and more recently my extremely overboard love of The Walking Dead. They all lead me to accept this book for review. Despite the fact that this was a Supernatural/Paranormal Fantasy it didn't feel like it while reading it.

The story opens up in the middle of the Louisiana swamp with Gretchen and her brother Hank along with with their "Brother" Erik
Romancing the Book
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, ya, romance
Reviewed by Effie
Book provided by the author for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Loved, loved, loved this book! Seriously. I loved it. The first few pages were a little hard for me to get into, I felt like I was being dropped into the middle of something without adequate preparation, but that’s exactly all it took me. I was hooked by the end of the first chapter. I was so disappointed it was a short read, but it was really good and that more than made up for it.

We’re in the f
Brandy Dorsch
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, I am a paranormal fan but not really into zombies. That being said, I took a chance on this novella and I was not disappointed! It is a short story but I feel that you get a good understanding of the characters and plot development.
It takes place in a post apocolyptic world that is full of zombies. Yuck. Something about zombies has always freaked me out. I don’t watch any of the shows on television either.
I didn’ t understand why Gretchen and Hank were abandoned but they manage to make a l
Joline
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a great easy read. I love post apocalyptic stories and I really really wanted more. The things I didn't like: I didn't realize it was a romance. I skipped most of the ooey gooey scenes. The other thing I wasn't a fan of (I think this is again the nature of a romance genre) is that the main female character went from a strong leader to a teary girl who needed the big strong man to come fix everything so she could continue on.
I would read more of this world presented in the book bec
Jillian Ashe
I like this book. I'm simply irritated it's advertised as the first in a series when it was published two years ago, with no mention of the second anywhere. Believe me, I looked. I probably wouldn't have started the series had I known there would never be a second one. Only reason it's 3*s for me, would have been 4 if I could read number 2.
Sarah (The Book Life)
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome! I wouldn't mind reading more stories about this crew :0)
Kelly Reichenbach
Aug 21, 2013
J.E.
Apr 11, 2013
D
Apr 30, 2015
Aria Kane
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Vincent Morrone
Aug 16, 2015
Angela
Apr 11, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dead Chaos (Dead Chaos #1)
  • Love and Decay, Episode Six (Love and Decay, #6)
  • Controlling the Dead (The Famished Trilogy, #2)
  • Sanctuary
  • The Becoming (The Becoming, #1)
  • State of Decay: Part One
  • Changed (The Hunters, #1)
  • Deep Breath (Falling in Deep Collection)
  • Beast Within (Beasty, #1)
  • Driving to You (Holland Springs, #1.5)
  • Heartbeat Boxed Set (Three Book Bundle) (Heartbeat, #1-3)
  • Arcadium (Arcadium, #1)
  • Oregon Bride (Bride Series, #3)
  • Hope Is Lost (Men Of Ocean Beach, #2)
  • The Wild Side (Forever Wild, #4)
  • Swamp Monster Massacre
  • Cowboy's Redemption (The Montana Cahills, #4)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Sonoran Security, #1)
Aria Kane is a recovering mechanical engineer and romance writer. As a military brat, she grew up all over the country, but now lives in sunny Florida with a 60 lb mutt who thinks he's a chihuahua. She's the author of ONCE UPON A DARKNESS and A TITAN FOR CHRISTMAS. You can learn more about her at www.ariakane.com
“He was so much more than she had expected. More than a delicious body and a smile that came out of nowhere to light up the darkness of this hopeless place.” 7 likes
“With an evil, tempting wink that threatened to undo him, she added, "I'm the one you have to watch out for.” 4 likes