Start by marking “The Liar and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Liar and Other Stories

The Liar and Other Stories

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
'The Liar, and other stories' is the latest collection of short stories from acclaimed Northern Irish author Matthew W. McFarland.

In 'The Liar', a sharply dressed man enters the foyer of a corporate bank, and walks back out with a fortune:

ebook
Published May 24th 2013 by Smashwords Edition (first published May 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Liar and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Liar and Other Stories

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
3.5

*Book source ~ Won in a LibraryThing giveaway.

An anthology with six short stories that I would put on the contemporary or fiction shelves. They are well-written though not exactly my mug o’tea.

The Liar ~ My favorite.

Making Headlines ~ Totally creeptastic.

Toxic Love ~ I was lost by the ending of this one.

Ripples ~ This is my 2nd favorite.

The Savant ~ Interesting.

The Hospital ~ I was confused by the narrator, but the ending was a twist I didn’t see coming.
Georgia
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Liar and Other Stories by Matthew W. McFarland is a collection of six short stories.

PLOT

The first is "The Liar".

First sentence: "In the past twenty-four hours, I have convinced various people that I am a fireman, that I make my own shoes, that I am a qualified pilot, that my middle name is Wenceslas, and that I have an inoperable brain tumour."

This story centres around (fairly obviously) an obsessive liar- though his lying isn't compulsive (according to his shrink), he just really enjoys i
Yawatta Hosby
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
***I received a free copy in exchange for book review***

I loved this book with 6 short stories. I respect the author’s writing style because even though these were only short stories, he managed to describe things in great detail where I cared for his characters and got a clear grasp on plot–the beginning, middle, and ending were interesting. I also liked how Matthew W. McFarland managed to bring a psychological element to every story. They make you think as well as entertain you.

The Liar–This s
Philip Newey
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is McFarland’s second collection of short stories, and, after the first collection, I was looking forward to its release. McFarland is a very good writer. His mastery of the language, his pacing of a story, and the wicked edge to his imagination, set him apart. In this fairly short collection there are some good stories, although nothing quite reaches the level of the very best stories in his previous collection. McFarland is at his best when he lets his evil twin take over the writing. For ...more
Katey Lovell
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am not always the biggest fan of short story collections. Personally, I find they can be frustrating, particularly when they have little purpose, plot or an unsatisfactory ending.

However, there was none of that with The Liar and other stories. Each individual plotline is unique, intriguing and well developed, predominantly studying the way one moment or decision can change the course of life. As such, when reading Matthew W. McFarland's work there is an unsettling feeling that the 'normal' ca
Kath Middleton
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is Matthew McFarland’s second book of short stories and I think he has excelled himself here. In each story he takes a sideways look at a situation and finds something unique to say about it. There are some wonderful ideas here. There isn’t a story among them that I didn’t like, but I found Hospital a lovely story, very true to life for a four year old. Toxic Love was also compelling, and The Savant was real food for thought. I’m sure anyone would find a few favourites in here, which will s ...more
Jess Mountifield
I was given a copy of this eBook by the author in return for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the stories in this collection. I think The Liar was my favourite. I didn't see the end coming at all.

If possible I think this collection was even better than the last and I was quickly hooked into the very clean crisp writing. These stories are all very easy reads and I never found myself struggling with any clunky sentences, so much so that it really felt like not even one word had been wasted.

While
P.W.
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
The Liar was an ok collection of short stories. They aren't interconnected, so everything can be read in any order you'd like.

The first one was about the best... revenge stories always are enjoyable for me.

As far as quality goes, it's a lot better than many of the self-published stuff I've read. There is a delightful lack of grammatical and spelling errors. A big plus for me.
Raven
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lt
I found it hard to get into this book of short stories. Perhaps this is just not the medium I like. I found that the stories just where not making much sense to me and I didn't finish the book.
Bom
Karen Siddall
Oct 08, 2013
Twilightwatchers
Jan 03, 2016
Matthew W. McFarland was born in 1983 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. After graduating from the University of Dundee with a master's degree in psychology, he took several jobs including delivering mail, producing birth certificates, and working in the heart of the Northern Ireland Government. He currently lives with his young family just outside the city of Belfast
More about Matthew W. McFarland