Start by marking “The Tailor (Grisha Verse, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Tailor (Grisha Verse, #1.5)

The Tailor

(The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1.5)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  8,194 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews
New scene from Shadow and Bone told from Genya's point of view.
Published May 23rd 2013 by Holt Children's/Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Tailor, please sign up.

·  8,194 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews

~Poppy~
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
"It hurts, but I can bear it. Because I am a doll, and a servant. Because I am a pretty thing and a soldier all the same."

Now, I can say that I understand better Genya's actions!
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Besides, in this moment, I’m her friend. I can pretend all the little betrayals don’t exist. I can ignore the paper with Oretsev’s name on it burning a hole in my sleeve.”

Aww poor Genya!! My precious girl had to go through so much and no one was there to help her. It was really interesting to read her POV and to find out what happened behind the scenes, especially because I could never really grasp why she was so loyal to the Darkling.
I guess it makes sense now. Between all the hate of the que
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How have I not read this until now? I freaking LOVED the Grisha Trilogy (or Shadow and Bone trilogy as it is now known) - and this legit has more Darkling.

Literally that is all I need to say. Go read.

My Blog ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Etsy
karen
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it

unlike those free tor shorts that are absolutely spoiler-free standalone stories, this one is meant to be read after Shadow and Bone, because it will give away important plot points.

this is just a little quickie of a story, but it's about genya, for goodness' sake, and she is one of my favorite characters in the whole trilogy, and arguably the one who had the hardest journey. this story is wonderful because
Rosie
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading this just makes me want to reread The Grisha Trilogy😭. Ughh, why does The Darkling have to be so perfect?!?
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4 Stars

Quick read because this is included in my copy of Siege and Storm! I adore Genya as a character and think the series desperately needs more of her. It was great getting to see her interactions with The Darkling (who never quite seems to give commands, but his subtle manipulations work just as well) and others.

Overall, glad I read this. It doesn't add anything new to the narrative, really, but it reminded me what I enjoy about this series.
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
“It hurts, but I can bear it. Because I am a doll and a servant. Because I am a pretty thing and a soldier all the same.”

I liked this, for the most part I mean it was Genya POV and I really like her character a lot! I sure hope there is more of her in the last two books :) But this really didn't add much if anything to the story. Still, it was nice understanding some of her motives for the things she did. I'm really glad I read it!
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
Este es un relato súper cortito en el que conocemos el lado de la historia de Genya: cómo llegó a servir a la Reina, cómo perdió el favor de personas muy importantes, su deseo por ser reconocida como una Grisha y no como una sirviente y, por supuesto, cómo llegó a caer en las garras del Darkling.

Adoro estos relatos que nos dejan entrar en la mente de una persona que, desde el punto de vista de los protagonistas, los ha traicionado y se ha vuelto su enemiga.
Michelle
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: grishaverse
I'm glad that I didn't have to pay to read "The Tailor", not because it's bad -- rather, just because it's very short. And Genya is a character that I appreciate a lot, and I would have liked to stay longer in her head. Nevertheless, it is a pleasure to better understand her, her relationship with the queen, the Darkling and even that vile king. This book is a great complement to the Grisha series, but be warned that you may end up desperately wanting more!
Deborah Obida
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Six of crows and Grisha triology fans
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I told myself I won't read anything about Grishas till I find closure but I just could not help it.

This novella is written from Genya's POV about her life in the palace and how she became a servant. When the Queen turned her back and Genya and the king started abusing her she turned to the Darkling for help.

"The Darkling might have chastised me or turned his back. But he put his arm around me, sat me down at the table. He poured me a glass of water and waited until I was calm enough to take a g
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#0.1 The Demon in the Wood ★★★★★
#1 Shadow and Bone ★★★☆☆
#1.5 The Tailor ★★★★★
#2 Siege and Storm ★★★☆☆
#3 Ruin and Rising ★★★★☆

Poor, sweet, wounded little Genya. :(

This short story gives some insight into Genya's day-to-day life as a tailor, including how she came to fall out of the queen's good graces (not through any fault of her own, unsurprisingly), and what the catalyst was that led her to seek the Darkling's help. I know this is listed as #1.5 in the series, but I personally think it "fits"
Rose
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Because I am a doll, and a servant. Because I am a pretty thing and a solider all the same.

WOAHHHHHHHH.

Okay, I was not expecting this?
My heart just broke.

Genya's story is so heart breaking and the things she's had to endure and the things she's done... it's all so horrible.

Also, this made me love the Darkling & how he offered her protection? I mean, I guess he was also being a bit manipulative, but stiiiilllll. (Wow, I really am horrible.)

ps: the Darkling was shirtless in this and I may b
• Lindsey Dahling •
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I also shouldn’t have a second buttered roll with my breakfast every morning, but sometimes one must indulge.”

Damn do I love Genya. I read this right after reading Shadow and Bone. It’s safe to do so, in case you’re worried (like I was).
Katerina Kondrenko
8 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Nothing's going on here: it's just a memory of Genya and a few hours of her nowadays, but I'm so sorry for her and a bit dislike the Darking. I liked Genya in Shadow and Bone, even her betrayal didn't make me hate her (okay, it made but not so hard). So it was interesting to see the world
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-works
A compelling sneak peak of Genya's narrative. I really enjoyed Genya as a character, and if you did also then I would definitely recommend reading this!

Special thanks to K for bringing the existence of this story to my attention, I thought I had read all the Grisha tales!
Dannii Elle
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
This can be found online here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/143207221/...

A free prequel novella from the perspective of my favourite character of the series, you say? Yes please!

I love when authors take the time to pad their world and story with added extra instalments but, for me, this story gave me nothing. Whilst enjoyable enough, it added little to the overall trilogy's plot and left me with no lasting emotions.

Whilst the actual scenes depicted haven't been previously portrayed, Genya's action
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Leigh, if you could stop messing with my emotions, that'd be great. If you could stop making me simultaneously hate and love characters, I'd really appreciate it.

ps: a shirtless Darkling? GEEZUS.
Souma BookAddict
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

Really interesting to get some background on Genya.

Ps: I don't know how the author did it, but she makes me dislike Genya yet totally feel for her in the same breath.
Fables&Wren
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

"I opened the black wood box, and I feed the letters to the fire, one bye one. It hurts, but I can bear it. Because I am a doll, and a servant. Because I am a pretty thing and a soldier all the same."

This was only about seventeen pages, the edition I have anyway, and boy does it still break my heart.

Genya fought with how she betrayed her friend. She didn't want to. But, after talking to The Darkling, she believed she was. And then him asking her to continue to let the king....
Sarah DiMento

I liked getting a glimpse into Genya's story... She was one of my favorite characters in this series!
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣

I saw Genya coming in Shadow and Bone, and I liked her all the same. I wish she would somehow prove herself to be a good Grisha, so that she would be avenged. I cannot imagine how it would feel to be abused by a couple (the man wanting you to warm his bed, while his wife resenting you for her husband's behavior).

I know this does little to excuse the way she acted towards Al
Markéta
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Oh, you sneaky sneaky bitch. I actually liked you before.
Candace Robinson
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quick read, and I loved the last sentence!
Katie.dorny
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Again this book is between 3.5 and 4 stars for me.

I loved reading more about Genya and her descent into the woman we meet in the first book. She does end up becoming one of my absolute favourites.

Again, this humanised the Darkling and it does mess with your head a little bit - the compassion and the kindness polarises the depravity he goes to in the trilogy. It's so intriguing and i want a full novel on the man, his backstory and his mind!!!!

But this was a very very quick read that i did enjoy o
Hermione
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

I hate Leigh Bardugo.

I hate you.

It is so easy to hate black (as in, the context of black-and-white characters; monochrome, I mean) characters. And so easy to love white ones. But then you throw in shades of grey, a tint of black, a hint of white, and voila - you've got yourself Genya.

After reading Shadow & Bone, Genya was easy to hate. And then I read Siege & Storm and Genya is such a complex character.

And I hate Leigh Bardugo for it.

I hate her for making me feel this compassio
Theodora
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Because I am a doll, and a servant. Because I am a pretty thing and a soldier all the same."

Genya is one of the most interesting and complex characters in Shadow and Bone, and as Alina often says, one of the most beautiful, a fact that gets her in trouble with the royal couple in more ways than one. She goes to the Darkling for assistance, and he presents her with two choices: he can either send her away and keep her safe, away from the Grand Palace, the Grisha and the humiliation of having to
Ashley
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a short story in the POV of Genya that can be found at the end of Siege and Storm. Its a scene that helps open your eyes on her motives in a situation that takes place. Helped me a bit, I think :)

come find me:
www.facebook.com/ReadsAsh
IG: ash.reads Twitter: @ReadsAsh
Alex
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super awesome, this was fun to listen to. I highly recommend it.
Gabrielle
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it

Oh my god I loved hearing the story from Genya’s perspective too and it had more Darkling as well!
Guys why is it so hard to hate the Darkling sometimes ?? 💗
Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆
I don't believe there will ever come a time when I won't want to die for more and more and more and more of Genya. She is so dear to my heart in a way that very few characters have ever been and this short story, despite its small size, gave me more than I had thought possible. In all honesty, Genya's POV is something I'd been longing for and having it here... let's just say it was worth the wait.
Seeing what she went through, as heartbreaking as it might be (- and it is , so very very much-)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • Other Worlds
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus Wars, #0.5)
  • The Automaton's Treasure (The Assassin's Curse #0.6)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Poison Dance (Midnight Thief, #0.5)
Leigh Bardugo is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of fantasy novels and the creator of the Grishaverse. With over three million copies sold, her Grishaverse spans the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, the Six of Crows Duology, The Language of Thorns, and King of Scars—with more to come. (To hear about new releases, tour dates, and giveaways first, sign up for Leigh's newsletter here.) Her short stori ...more

The Shadow and Bone Trilogy (3 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
“Because I am a doll, and a servant. Because I am a pretty thing and a soldier all the same.” 41 likes
“It hurts, but I can bear it. Because I am a doll, and a servant. Because I am a pretty thing and a soldier all the same.” 19 likes