Start by marking “Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin #4)” as Want to Read:
Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin #4)

Monstrous Holiday

(Courtney Crumrin #4)

Courtney Crumrin's adventures continue -- this time in a newly remastered, full-color edition! Courtney and Uncle Aloysius' European vacation has brought them into the heart of a country rich with mystical history and tradition. At first, eastern Europe seems like the perfect place for Courtney to strengthen her abilities, but just as Courtney begins to tap into the myster ...more
Hardcover, Special Edition, 128 pages
Published October 22nd 2013 by Oni Press (first published October 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Monstrous Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monstrous Holiday

Start your review of Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin #4)
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Courtney goes with her great-uncle Aloysius on a trip to Eastern Europe. Of course, she manages to get herself in trouble, fighting for the underdog, including a patch of Gypsy werewolves, one of which is in love with a landowner's daughter. Oh, did I mention that Courtney has a boyfriend! But it's not as good as it sounds. Because her boyfriend is a vampire, and he's draining Courtney of her lifeforce and humanity. Courtney feels so disconnected and apathetic, this isn't sounding so bad to her. ...more
Abigail
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed the First Three Volumes of Courtney Crumrin's Adventures
Courtney Crumrin - precocious cynic and young would-be witch - returns in this, the fourth volume of her adventures, which follows the story of her European travels with her Great-Uncle Aloysius. Unlike the previous three volumes, which each contained four "chapters" (originally single issues of the comic), Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday includes just two, which appear to have been published previously, as Courtney Crumrin and the Fire Thief's Tale and Courtney Crumrin and the Pri ...more
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

I may have mentioned once or twice (or thrice) how much I love these new editions of the Crumrin books with color. The color really adds depth to Neifah's illustrations - even when the story itself is in the dark, so we're mostly dealing with various shades of greys and blues and purples.

Anyway -

This story was definitely on the sad side. It combines two short stories which are, as the title suggests, episodes which happen during the course of holidays that Courtney takes with Uncle A. But mo
Allie
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So there's 7 books in this series, but my local libraries only have this 4th book. Hmmm. As annoying as that is, this was good.

At first I wasn't sure if I liked the illustrations, but they grew on me; they're different but cool.

I was hoping this wasn't going to be 'cute', and thankfully it wasn't. It was gothy. I liked it! (Now I just need to bug my library to get the other 6 books.)
Aubrey
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a great continuation of the first three. I think this one has been my favorite so far because she gets into some trouble, but that causes some cool additions to the plot...
Read more here!
Aubrey Joy
Pardis Ahmadi
i knew this would happen. just when i start liking something and get to like specific characters the author decides to kill them off slowly. dammit! that's exactly the reason why i leave my most favorite books unfinished!
Elizabeth Mellen
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my favorite of the series so far! Courtney has a lot of big feelings to work through, and there is a focus on what makes a monster, and how humans can be monsters. The art is maybe growing on me, because I didn't catch myself thinking about it as much with this one
Social_Sloth
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Orrin Grey
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, favorites
As I've established before, I am completely in love with Ted Naifeh's Courtney Crumrin books. This fourth volume finds Courtney and her Uncle Aloysius traveling in Eastern Europe where they encounter werewolves and vampires. No need to roll your eyes, though, because Naifeh does with those tropes the same thing he's done throughout the Courtney Crumrin stories. Which is to say he makes them great.

While the werewolf story isn't quite on par with Mike Mignola's brilliant "The Wolves of St. August,
Wayne McCoy
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Volume 4 of Courtney Crumrin collects 2 stories, The Fire Thief's Tale and The Prince of Nowhere. For the uninitiated (as I was), Courtney is a young girl who is sent to live with her uncle, a great wizard. As it turns out, Courtney has an aptitude like her uncle. She also has a boundless sense of curiosity that lands her in dangerous situations more often than not.

In the first story, Courtney finds herself amid two star-crossed lovers in Romania. She is a town girl and he is a gypsy. The proble
Tays
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uh huh, yea well, I did not expect it to be a collection of the other two one-shots I just read. HAHAHAHA.

It's basically a compilation of The Fire Thief and The Prince of Nowhere. Now I have reviewed both stories separately. So if you're a bit more interested with that, check out the separate Goodreads pages for those one shots.

Anyhow, this volume though, it's a bit edgy than the first few one's. There's only two stories within it and the monsters you're being introduced aren't that unusual. So
Reija
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to art, this volume is probably the best of the bunch. The art is so crisp, contrast between black and white is on point, architecture and set design are fantastic and the flow of movement and play on perspective especially in the second story was amazing.
I will say that the first story didn't quite capture my attention and make me feel an emotional connection. But that's mostly due to the fact that I'm not too partial on werewolves.
The second story had really high stakes and redee
La White   Conchita
Sundee Perkins
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What series about magic and magical creatures would be complete without werewolves and vampires? I really liked the clashes of the old world versus the new, though there were moments when I wish Courtney would respect the cultures she encountered a little more. That comes with more education and empathy, and she doesn't have a great role model for the later (her uncle could have educated her more, but alas the sorrows of fiction).
Emmy
Probably the weakest in the series so far. And to be honest, I struggled a little with the portrayal of Christianity in this book. It wasn't bad, per se, but it was walking a very fine line between incorporating it into the world view, and insulting or belittling it.
Pam
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We're finding out more and more about Uncle Aloysius...
Sam
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series keeps getting better...
Nadina
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the continuation of the story, but I feel as if the graphics are dropping in quality.
Whitney
Not my favorite Courtney Crumrin, but a nice chance to continue reading a series for which I hold a lot of fondness. The art is great and the stories are good, but not the best.
Jessie Wheeler
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Courtney so much!!
Graham Bradley
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little more emo than the first three, but still really good.
Jeanette Griebel
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A holiday in Eastern Europe with her Great-Uncle turns up some even more strange things than what she has found at home. A great read and addition to the series.
Cara
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This installment was actually really sad. Poor Courtney! But the ending was really sweet.
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B00NYE45ZU
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Courtney Crumrin Volume 4: Monstrous Holiday Special Edition actualley contains two stories; "Courtney Crumri
Karissa
This is the fourth (and final?) book in the Courtney Crumrin series. There is a follow up series called the Courtney Crumrin Tales, which is supposed to give more background on Courtney's uncle. This book was probably my least favorite of the series; it just had a lot of things happen in it that didn't make a whole lot of sense. The sudden inclusion of werewolves and vampires (and the loss of focus on Night Things) made me feel like Naifeh was trying to cater to the whole teenage girls with were ...more
a_tiffyfit
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A_TiffyFit's Review: I requested this at Netgalley because of the cover; it looked intriguing. And now...now I must get the first three volumes and this one when it comes out because I found this totally enchanting.

The storyline pulls you in quickly, even when you have no idea what is going on or the background story. You quickly get absorbed into this world with its lovely illustration and tale. My heart clenched as Courtney thinks that it was all for nothing at the end of Chapter One!

I scree
Sara Thompson
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Courtney Crumrin graphic novels. These are very reader friendly. This is the fourth book of the series (in double checking I noticed that there are several versions of this book with different names and I don't know why but this one is the official vol 4 of the series).
Courtney Crumrin is a great character that should be loved by all. She's a young girl who is sent to live with her uncle who is a great "wizard" and she discovers she has magic as well. More importantly she has curiousi
Virginia
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-gn
These books/comics had interesting, lovely character development. This was my favorite among them, but wouldn't have been possible without referencing things and experiences the characters had in previous stories. It is more serious than the others, I would say, because both the emotional involvement and the danger happens to rather than around the main characters. I look forward to finding the rest!

The plots repeat tales as old as time, but the details gift you with Naifeh's insights into peop
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is different that the others in that instead of being four small chapters this time, while remaining the same size, the book has been split into two long chapters which could almost be considered short stories. I think this book could be read as a stand alone as none of the content is dependent on the previous material except for the relationship the previous readers will have developed with Courtney by this time. Courtney has gone on a trip with Uncle Aloysius, mentioned at the end of ...more
Natalie
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this ARC from Netgalley
I've been a fan of Ted Naifeh ever since I read Courtney's first adventure.
Courtney Crumrin is that type of girl I think we can all relate to. She appears to be alone even though she's with her family. She has an awesome uncle who helps her to grow has a person and into her magic.
This graphic novel sees us go on more adventures with her. In some ways we see some of the old Courtney, her loneliness appears on her travels with her uncle. Even though she goes throu
« previous 1 3 next »

• Courtney Crumrin Vol. 5
  • とつくにの少女 6 [Totsukuni no shōjo 6]
  • Animosity, Vol. 1: The Wake
  • Noise: A graphic novel based on a true story
  • The Wicked + The Divine Deluxe Edition: Year One
  • Scott Pilgrim the Complete Series (Scott Pilgrim, #1-6)
  • Birds of Prey Vol. 1
  • Open Earth
  • Eleven
  • ヴィジランテ -僕のヒーローアカデミア ILLEGALS- 2 [Vigilante: Boku no Hero Academia Illegals 2] (My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, #2)
  • Forget Me Not, Vol. 1 (Forget Me Not, #1)
  • The Stuff of Legend, Omnibus One
  • The Wicked + the Divine Deluxe Edition: Year Two
  • Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #1)
  • Loot (Loot #1)
  • A Witch's Printing Office, Vol. 1
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 11: Time After Crime (Lumberjanes, Vol. 11)
Ted Naifeh is an American comic book writer and artist who gained notoriety for his illustrations in the goth romance comic Gloomcookie. Naifeh has since become most known as the creator of the Eisner-Award-nominated series Courtney Crumrin, published by Oni Press.

Courtney Crumrin (7 books)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things (Courtney Crumrin, #1)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • The Witch Next Door (Courtney Crumrin #5)
  • The Final Spell (Courtney Crumrin, #6)
  • Tales of a Warlock (Courtney Crumrin, #7)

News & Interviews