Start by marking “Oru Puliyamarathin Kathai” as Want to Read:
Oru Puliyamarathin Kathai

Oru Puliyamarathin Kathai

Published 2012 by Kalachuvadu Publications (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Oru Puliyamarathin Kathai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oru Puliyamarathin Kathai

Sangeetha Ramachandran
What a perfect book to read in perfect time. With all the current political dramas going on and we, with or without our knowledge playing different roles in it, this book just shows how we are persuaded into such situation and helps one to compare generations with the level of complications.

"Oru Puliyamarathin Kathai" is a story centered around a tamarind tree that stood as a mute witness to the changes happened around it for generations. In the first half of the book, the narrator narrates stor
Muthuvel
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, tamil
How many lives I've got to live before I finish this book?

The book covers a lot of vivid characters and their notions centered around a tamarind tree indifferently sustaining to the changes happening around it for generations of varied perceptiveness. With such richness in the local dialect, phrases and metaphorical elements, the experience is something delusionally wondrous. I've seen too many elements in other works of people but not at this level of profundity (with surprising elements as we
Anirban Nanda
It is always an extreme pleasure when you suddenly discover a book that is
i) Indian novel.
ii) Originally written in a regional language Tamil.
iii) Translated and published as Penguin Modern Classic.
iv) Considered one of the masterpieces of Tamil Literature and therefore of Indian literature and still almost no review in Goodreads.

This is a wonderful novel. I don't remember the last time I read something so purely Indian, simple, and yet deeply moving.

Though it seems the central character is Dam
Dinesh
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb story flow without any break. And very pleased to read the Tirunelveli slang.
Sami Nathan
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
It was bit tough to read and follow the story at the starting but gradually become easy and interesting. Like English book I was using dictionary words given in last pages. It is good novel. The novel is all about a Tamarind tree and people & their behaviors around the tamarind tree in Nagercoil area.
Prabhu R.
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels, tamil
The writing and the narrative is good, especially blending well with the regional dialect and accent. The story revolves around the one Tamarind tree that stood for generations, the people who came and went etc
Anbu
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest Tamil Novels I have read. Sundara Ramasamy broken all the barriers of a novel. It had taken sometime before I realised he is into the main story. A wonderful book and a great read for those who know Tamil.
Arvind Srinivasan
With title I got to think that the book is going to explain details and history of a tree. The thought was very different and was fascinated on how the author is going to take us through the history. The book in the starting was as per the thought and through 3rd person explains about the tree. It was completely dealing with tree, the change in environment around it, history around it, the happenings around the tree and the changes that tree has seen through.

At the point where I was expecting
Shrinidhi
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of a tamarind tree over a few decades; about how Chellatayi hung herself from it, about how the Maharaja of Travancore was taken by it, how the municipal elections were shaped by it and most of all, about how the narrator and his friends used to sit under it for hours and listen to Asan tell his stories. Stories as seen by the tamarind tree. Tamarind History.

"Isn't it the wisest course, to give up one thing in order to be safe? Doesn't a madman be safe when he loses his mind?
A lizard h
Siva Wright
The story of a Tamarind tree which stands while everything around it - the people, buildings, everything fades away when at last, the tree itself dies.

Though a bit innovative in the way it tells the stories connected with the tree, in its form, it is difficult to call it a novel. The plot wanders too much and when you are at last empathizing with a character, he/she(mostly he) disappears. Only the Tamarind Tree remains as a constant character.

And I seriously can't understand why the translator
Venki Manickam
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tamil is my mother tongue so I read the book in Tamil. I can't speak for the translation but Tamarind History is a beautiful slice of man vs nature.. The book is super honest in capturing the sociopolitical history of the region. I think the civil disobedience shown by the locals in recent years, trying to protect their environment from chemical corporations and their bought out government explains the characters Sundara Ramasamy captures!
Saravanakumar S K
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just one Tamarind Tree. The whole story revolves around it from the time it was in the middle of a pond to how it was saved from cutting down, how the pond was closed, a town gets developed over there, all the happening around the tree in the town and finally how the tree was killed. Sundara Ramasamy probably was very bold to take this theme as a conception to write a novel.
Senthilkumar
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent piece of work
Anbarasi  Manoharan
It has been many years since I read a tamil book. It was refreshing to read something that you can picture everything described.
Swaminathan
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells you about how a community changes over a period of time and how human beings because of their greed contribute to such chaos.
Abisheka Pandian
“Since a tree can’t speak means, can you do anything to it?”
Earth is not only for humans, but for other living beings too.
A mesmerising novel about the story of a Tamrind tree.
Raja
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story about the tree which will discover the entire city in it.
Balaji
Aug 16, 2019 added it
i like this book
MANIMEGALAI
I WANT TO READ THEASE STORY . I LIKE THIS STORY
Swami Nathan
Sorry... I need better "top floor" stuff to understand and appreciate such "classics".
Kandakumar C
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book narrates the dialect from and near Nagercoil region and it is well depicted. May be for someone who may get annoyed by the local dialect of the tamil (understanding issues). Overall you will feel like you are living near the tamarind tree.
Harikrishnan Mani
The way the writer considered, treated and respected the reader with ever lively incidents, makes the reader to hold the book till the last page is read. A model novel for any writer who would like to consider the reader...
Sarguru nathan
A semi disappointment. Mostly I think its because I started it after the brilliant 'Wind up Bird Chronicle'. There is nothing much to say about this much hyped book, nevertheless can be read once .
Jegan Chitthambaram
Good one. Bit difficult to follow in the beginning, but later it was interesting.
Mubashshara
I LIKE THIS STORY VERY MUCH
Krishnan Raghavan
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murlimb
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Tarun
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
rare yet powerful writing style! the dialect used in oru puliya marathin kadhai almost becomes one's own whether or not one has much exposure to it earlier
Selva
Apr 19, 2017 added it
Nice book. It is a story about Tamarind tree of south tamil nadu. It is a story about various people around the tree in different timelines. It seems the novel has not been written in a single stretch by the author. Since different parts of the story had been written in different times, you can experience that while reading them. Naivety of budding writers lurks in initial chapters , later on his writing skill on characterizing people, of certain period and location has sharpened well, such that ...more

• கோபல்ல கிராமம் (Gopalla Gramam)
  • அம்மா வந்தாள் [Amma Vanthaal]
  • குருதிப்புனல் [Kuruthi Punal]
  • யாமம்  [Yamam]
  • 6174
  • Puyalilae Oru Thoni - புயலிலே ஒரு தோணி - P. Singaram Navalgal
Sundara Ramaswamy (1931–2005), fondly known as "Su.Ra" in literary circles, was one of the exponents of Tamil modern literature. He edited and published a literary magazine called Kalachuvadu. He wrote poetry under the penname "Pasuvayya". His novels are Oru Puliya Marathin Kathai (The Story of a Tamarind Tree), J.J Silakuripukal (J.J: Some Jottings, tr, A.R Venkadachalapathy, Katha, 2004) and Kuz ...more
“வாழ்வில் இன்பகரமான நாட்கள் மிகக் குறைந்த நாட்கள்தானே! வேகமாக மறைந்துவிடும் நாட்களும் அவைதானே!” 6 likes
“அநேகமாக எல்லோருக்குமே திருட வேண்டும் என்ற ஆசை ஒரு சமயத்தில் அல்லது மற்றொரு சமயத்தில் ஏற்பட்டாலும் பிறர் பார்வையில் செய்யக்கூடாத காரியமாகத்தான் அது இன்றும் இருந்துவருகிறது.” 3 likes