Start by marking “Things Withered” as Want to Read:
Things Withered

Things Withered

A middle-aged realtor makes a deal that could last forever. A cheating woman finds herself swimming in dangerous waters. A wife with a dark past can’t bear the fear of being exposed. The bad acts of a little old lady come home to roost. A young man with no direction finds power behind the wheel of a haunted truck.
Published December 15th 2013 by ChiZine Publications (first published October 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Things Withered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things Withered

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
I find it quite difficult to rate a book that's an anthology. Some stories I may absolutely adore, some may be mediocre, others I may not enjoy at all. Such is the case of Things Withered.

All the stories are well written. There is a truck that has a certain pull on a young man which reminded me a lot of Stephen King's Christine. A woman who has an affair with a married man and suffers a cruel fate. A real estate broker who is getting on in years and needs a leg above the competition. And perhaps
Baal Of
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
The blurbs on the back of this book say things like "Each one of these stories has fangs" and "This chick is scary!" I suppose that might be true if the fangs are made of sugar, and scary is a slow but rather obvious reveal that, this drab, dull, nasty person is *gasp* a murderer. Every descriptive word used in the blurbs reflect the opposite of my experience with this book: creepy, wicked, gonzo, refreshingly original, terrifying, grotesque. I found it none of those. I was never at any point cr ...more
Becky
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Having read Moloney's The Thirteen, it probably shouldn't have come as a surprise that her collection is fairly suburban focused. These tales make you wonder how well you know your neighbors, your friends, and even your family. Even knowing that, you'll find Moloney is particularly adept at surprising you - just when you think you know what to expect, she's guaranteed to turn the story on its head.

In "The Windemere" a realtor makes a startling discovery about her new neighbors. In "Wife" a woman
Andrea Blythe
Things Withered is a brilliant collection of short horror stories, in which Susie Maloney plays on the anxieties of everyday life to deliver horrifying chills. Whether it’s the need to hold onto a job, unfortunate deaths in the neighborhood, or competition between friends, the drive of each story is grounded in human beings with their own frustrations so that by the time things get really weird, the reader is already on edge.

Take, for example, “The Audit,” in which a young woman faces a growing
Keelee James
Sep 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was the September selection for The Nightmare Factory Book Club, my second month! ...I hated it. (But I still love the book club, despite that the fact that the books are technically 0/4 for me so far.)

In this collection, Susie Moloney has one trick. We spend time, sometimes quite a lot of time, with some tedious, unpleasant human, beaten down by the tyranny of their petty, wholly uninteresting, and at times simply illogical internal monologue. Suddenly, a moment of great violence or some e
Jamie
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book is brilliant. It was worth reading, I got spooked about the haunted truck it gave me shivers up and down my back. The little old lady OMG she was awesome I was trembling of what she did and gets a away with it. The bad girl oh well things happen at the end. The wife with a dark past being exposed, I really got spooked again, come on seeing things around you and not their, feeling some one watching you chasing seeing things withered in front of you or coming alive.
But at the end everythi
Arindam Saha
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be a highly entertaining read. If you are looking for loud in your face horror , with ghouls and spooks you won't find it in this book , what you will find is a subtle sense of horror, a slight feeling under your skin of a vague menace. I loved the fact that Susie Moloney managed to maintain a consistently creepy feeling through out the book.This book has been compared to the Twilight Zone , where things appear normal but there is surprises when you look into the normal happ ...more
Julissa
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing collection of short stories. Nothing creepy here. As soon as a story started to become vaguely interesting, it ended. However, the endings seemed pointless. They left me with nothing...mainly because I couldn't care about any of the characters.
Josef Hernandez
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the best short story collections I have read in a while

For a full review, please go to http://www.examiner.com/review/things... and follow me on Twitter @josenher
Kevin Ranville
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Susie Moloney is the female Stephen King. I've just finished the last story in "Things Withered", and I'm struck by how courageous a good writer has to be to tell an uncomfortable story.

The story was called "The Neighbourhood, or, To the Devil with You". It's about a suburban housewife who experiences some insane shit in the decades she's lived in a house across the street from a creepy old woman named Hazel. People die. Animals go missing. Things wither. Though it's a short story, the world fee
Francesca
Things Withered è la prima raccolta di racconti dell’autrice Susie Moloney.

Tutte e nove le storie dell’antologia hanno in comune una sensazione di pesantezza esistenziale, l’ambientazione in periferie desolate, cupe.
Vite dal passato difficile che ritorna, esistenze segnate, ormai finite, che si trascinano cercando un senso che forse non c’è.
Un agente immobiliare di mezza età cerca di andare avanti, una moglie con un passato oscuro vive nella paura di essere scoperta, cattive azioni di una vecc
Alexis Winning
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love! Susie Moloney is like subtle Stephen King at his best. Often times you aren't quite sure what you are reading, nor are you sure why the story is classified as horror, but by the end of the tale your body is suddenly overcome with shivers as you truly absorb what you have just read.

I didn't love every single story in this collection, but you can be certain that most of them have burrowed into my brain to sleep where the wild things are. Moloney has the ability to write in such varying styl
Sakura Sternberg
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Susie Moloney has one move, and she uses it quite expertly throughout each of these stories—slow build-up, moments of everyday minutiae peppered with disquieting details, and a jarring moment of violence at the very end. It's used to tremendous effect in some of the stronger stories (the terrifying "Truckdriver," the unnerving "Wife"), and less so in others (the interminable, sluggishly-paced "Poor David"). Reading all of these over the course of a few days probably wasn't a good idea, since Mol ...more
AJ Fairchild
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, egalley
I always have trouble with anthologies. To me, there seems to always be one really fabulous story, then the others border on okay or just uninteresting. This was not the case with Things Withered. As I read, the stories seemed to get better, darker, spookier. Each one standing out from the others. All stories were well written, and gripping. Not a dull moment to be had between the covers.

The stories in Things Withered were not check-the-locks-twice scary, but definitely were chill-down-your-spin
M. Ta
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic collection. I loved every single story, especially the last one. Moloney has a way of getting under your skin slowly and then right at the end, grabs you by the throat and won't let go. I've read almost everything she's written and this is at top along with The Dwelling. She knows how to write realistic women's characters in horrible dark situations that send shivers down your spine. You wonder:"How did she know I was thinking that?" Buy this book. She's a master storyteller!
Alexis
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Some great horror stories in here. I loved the plot twists and the suburban setting, and her style of writing also inspired me to write a new short story of my own.

I realized that while I hate horror movies, I love reading horror. My one complaint would be that many of these stories feel similar if you read a whole collection of them. However, they often have a plot twist or scary moment right at the end, which creates an emotional wallop!!
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Author Susie Moloney possesses a special grace--a distinctive perspective uncommon to other writers,and the ability to deliver that perspective to her reader. I first discovered this through her fine novels "The Thirteen" and "The Dwelling." In "Things Withered" she extends her grace into the realm of short stories.
Sarah Foil
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There wasn’t much I can complain about with this book. Of course there were pieces that I found more memorable and enjoyed more than others, but I didn’t find any of them ‘bad’. I enjoyed the characters, the plots, and Susie Moloney’s writing style. It was truly fantastic.

Read all of this review Here
Melissa
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Beautiful cover art. This is a great collection of thrilling short stories. A wonderful author who can get under your skin grab hold and not let go. The characters and situations are well written and entertaining. Ms. Moloney can give you that subtle creepy feeling like no other. I was entertained throughout each story.

I won this book through goodreads.
Peter
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fine collection of stories; cleverly crafted and well written. A favorite is "The Last Living Summer"; a poignant, but not overdone tale with a Nevil Shute "On the Beach" sense, which serves as a warning for us all.............
Scotchneat
A bit uneven. Some of the stories I liked very much, and some just felt like an extended horror punch line.

All of the stories have some element of "other" - supernatural, dark twits, horror. The ones that I liked dealt more with personal demons and smaller lives.
Saretta
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5/5
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-le
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-le
Rita
Jun 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
I give up. I read the first three stories and didn't understand the endings. Definitely not my "cup of tea".
Douglas Werner
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark and sometimes humorous". Can't wait for more from this author.
Ainslie
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG - I absolutely loved these stories! They start out so normal and then slide into creepy before you know it. So well written. Highly recommend this book!
Sarahc Caflisch
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I liked it but it didn't live up to its potential.
Slay Belle
Feb 23, 2016
Terry
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover to e-book edition 3 105 Nov 25, 2013 11:41AM
  • Tell My Sorrows To The Stones
  • The n-Body Problem
  • Caution: Contains Small Parts
  • Ninja Versus Pirate Featuring Zombies (How To End Human Suffering #1)
  • The World More Full of Weeping
  • Horror Story and Other Horror Stories
  • Salvation
  • A Million Little Snowflakes
  • Westlake Soul
  • Club Nexus (Ivy Granger, #2.5)
  • Resonance (Holloway Pack, #2.5)
  • The Child
  • The Smart Girl's Guide to God, Guys, and the Galaxy: Save the Drama! and 100 Other Practical Tips for Teens
  • Silent Echoes (Games of Zeus, #2)