Start by marking “Colder, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Colder, Vol. 1

Colder, Vol. 1

(Colder (Collected Editions) #1)

Declan Thomas's body temperature is dropping. He never gets sick, never feels pain. An ex-inmate of an insane asylum that was destroyed in a fire, he has the strange ability to step inside a person's madness - and sometimes cure it. He hopes to one day cure his own, but time is running out, as a demonic predator pursues him through a nightmare version of Boston - and when ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by Dark Horse Books (first published November 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Colder, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Pavel Simeonov So, I know I'm very late, but it basically ends with them defeating Nimble Jack and a slight hint of a romance happening between the main protagonists…moreSo, I know I'm very late, but it basically ends with them defeating Nimble Jack and a slight hint of a romance happening between the main protagonists.(less)

Start your review of Colder, Vol. 1
Anne
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This cover is so fucking gross!
And it's hugely misleading about what's inside the comic.
Ew. I don't know whose idea this nasty serial killer-y/body horror thing was, but it definitely kept me from reading it, so I can only imagine there are a lot of other people out there who have been avoiding it for the same reasons.

description

I took one look at this thing and assumed it was about some gross fucker that liked to wear people's skin. Or it was about a monster who sheds its skin...peels its skin off...som
Jan Philipzig
Pulpy, Bonkers, Enjoyable Enough

Nimble Jack is an inter-dimensional demon who feeds on madness. Once he has devoured a "crazy" mind, the remaining body conveniently commits suicide. The madder the yummier, so Jack decides to nourish the madness of our protagonist, Declan, for a few decades before eating it. In the meantime, he prevents Declan from aging by gradually lowering his body temperature, keeping things fresh and delicious. Problem is: if the body temperature drops below zero, it's game
Sam Quixote
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Declan is a catatonic invalid who’s been “frozen” young for 70 years. Reece is his minder. Nimble Jack is an interdimensional demon who wants to eat Declan’s soul. Yup, that old chestnut - oh, the fun they have together!

I’m surprised Colder isn’t more well-known – this comic is great! Paul “Bandette” Tobin and artist Juan Ferreyra concoct a relatively simple cat’n’mouse storyline with astonishingly brilliant horror visuals that’s really good fun to read. I can’t stress how good Ferreyra’s painte
Chad
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, hoopla
If you can get past that disturbing cover, this is pretty great. The real star is the art. Juan Ferreya's painted art is tremendous. He brings in a ton of Lovecraftian elements. And then there's Nimble Jack. He's like a contortionist version of the Joker and Ferreya brings such life to the characters. You can see the madness and menace in Jack's face.

The story is a bit confusing in places and a lot is left unexplained. The gist is that Nimble Jack causes madness and then eats it while killing t
Athena Shardbearer
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Hello Declan. You will grow colder

This graphic novel was a quick and easy read. I really enjoyed the artwork but the story was lacking. The concept, original, but the execution could of been better.

Declan has been a ward of the state moving from mental institution to the apartment of a lonely nurse when the hospital burns down. For 40 years he has gotten colder and colder till one day Jack Nimble comes back into his life to claim what is his.

Jack Nimble feeds off of the insane. And Decla
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Geez Louise. I get wanting a catchy cover art, but I had to hide this f$&@er or never get it read. -1 star for that fact alone.

Story is rather absurd. Guy turns cold when he taps into crazy people (ableist much?); if he turns 0 degrees, he's a goner. Even though 0 degrees F is of no real significance and any human would have been long dead.

Reece is a stereotypical damsel in distress and the only named female with lines. Who basically falls in insta-lust with Cold Boy.

Best part by f
Cheese
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, this is excellent.

This is how grant morrison writes when he’s good. This is fantastic, so much so I can’t even compare it to anything except maybe....a little like the invisibles, but much better.

Read it!
DarienMoya

LOVE THE COVER AND ENJOYED THE STORY, A WIN.
Stewart Tame
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was more interesting than I expected. The cover is a tad on the graphic side, and I found myself setting the book face down quite a bit if other people were in the room. So the main character, Declan, is mad. As in crazy. He's in an asylum in the 40's as the book opens. There's a fire, and in the chaos, something that looks like a rift in space opens and Nimble Jack comes through. He's a brilliant, Joker-like antagonist and he eats madness, which kills the ones he feeds from. He does someth ...more
James DeSantis
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shortest review I can think of is boring...art was nice tho.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
It took a little while to get into, but I was sold around the halfway mark and desperately needed to continue by the end. The level of imagination and creativity that went into some of this is absolutely staggering.
Devann
This is actually more of a 4.5 and I'm considering bumping it up to 5 but I want to read the other volumes before I decide [edit: after reading volume 2 I decided to bump this]. I was kind of on the fence about it based on the summary alone but once I got a good look at a larger version of the cover I was hooked. That cover is AMAZING. The art all throughout this is gorgeous really, and although it doesn't get very much into body horror until the end, if you're squicked out by the cover then you ...more
Kate
3.5*
Loved the art work but the story is very disjointed at times and difficult to follow.
Logan
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay! So Colder Is an original series from Dark Horse Comics; it tells the story of a man named Declan, who has been in this vegetable state for a very long time, and he has been under the private care of a nurse named Reece; he's got cold sub zero skin, which they explain later in the book! Declan is also tormented by a demon? Ghost? I'm not sure, called Nimbles Jack! Long story, no spoilers short, Declan wakes up, and the adventure begins! That's as much as I can say, with no spoilers! The Art ...more
Geraldine (geraldinereads)
Declan Thomas was a patient at an insane asylum until it was destroyed in a fire.

He has an unexplainable condition, he's always cold and his body temperature is still dropping. He also can cure people's madness, but will he be able to cure himself before a demonic predator gets to him?!

I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would! I really loved the art and the scenes with them in the "madness" world. The concept was also very original, and I had never seen anything like it before. I would de
Titas (I read in bed)
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cold is the new hot!
Do you really think you are sane? But what if you just need a tiny little push or a tipsy bit of wrong in your righteous mind to prove that wrong!?! Do you think madness can't be spread? What if madness is actually a feast for a soul eater? What if everyone mad are just trapped in another world but can not get back? Now tell me what would you do when these happen to you!!

Incredible! The story is so gripping that you can feel it slowly crawling up your spine! A nurse (Reece) k
Wayne McCoy
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
When the asylum Declan Smith was in burned down in 1941, he managed to survive in a catatonic state where he never ages, but with a very low body temperature. In our time, a nurse named Reese has taken him home to observe him and to keep her company in her lonely life. What she doesn't know is that he is tied in with a supernatural character known as Nimble Jack who feeds of the insanity of people.

When Declan awakens, the battle with Nimble Jack is on. Declan can help cure those with mental issu
Callie *Fights Censorship*
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
3 1/2 stars

This horror comic from Dark Horse was a pleasant surprise. The story does feel a little rushed resulting in a lack of character development and scarce explanation of the mythology that drives the plot. The abilities and origins of Jack Nimble, the bad guy reminiscent of Joker, and Declan, the hero, are murky at best. Also there are several plot points that I felt went unexplained.

However, it is a non-stop breakneck pace and you will not be bored. The standout star of this book is the
Ruiner
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Probably a 3.5 story but i'm bumping it to a 4 for the artwork. ...more
Tomas
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
The cover is the main reason why I picked this book up. And I must say that I did not get much more from this book. There is no explanation of what is going on and premise is really weird. Some sort of crazy oi hooligan vampire kills people by eating their insanity and this turns Declan (main character) somehow cold. I would be more satisfied if magic was involved or draining souls or whatever. But insanity ? It tries to make people insane by showing them weird stuff and then he kills them. meh ...more
Lör K.
Rating: 3.5 / 5

First of all, can we talk about this amazing cover art?! I love this dark, gritty look to the series and was immediately dragged in alone by the artwork - which is something I love about this comic. The artwork is beautiful. It's bright and vibrant and colourful but at the same time, there's something that seems to lurk underneath the artwork to make you uneasy. Far out faces looking not so safe, small dark things lurking here and there, the imagery of the madness that is created.
Violetta
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
HOLY SHIT IS THIS BADASS. I love gory stuff, and this really takes the cake.

I'm not really over-analyzing the story line or even the way the writers deal with insanity and mental illness (agoraphobia, schizophrenia, etc.) Because this isn't the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders but a work of fiction and fantasy. So there.

Recommended for lovers of psychological thrillers, horror, and the paranormal.
Jason
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2013
Progressed a little too quickly for my liking, as I would've liked more background or more of an explanation of how the other-dimensional craziness took root, etc. And the ending was a little too open/unclear, at least in my mind. ...more
Koen Claeys
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
'Colder' is an amazing mix of horror and fantasy, a thrilling story that reads like a rollercoaster ride matched with gorgeous artwork. This is the good shit !
Patti
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Deeply creepy. Interesting look at "insanity" and medical experimentation. ...more
Michelle Morrell
Creepy story, beautiful artwork.
Stefani Sloma
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Creepy. Really good artwork. Interesting and strange storyline.
Rawan Manjal
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
4.5

It was really cool! I liked the whole idea of a demonic Boston and don't get me started on the artwork! It's so beautiful and colors and AHH! The art was the best thing about it in my opinion!
Kaitlyn
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Great artwork, compelling villain, builds a mystery well, holds a lot of tension. There's a bit of romance in here, in a weird way. [spoiler]I actually would have adored it had the Reece been slower to reciprocate his feelings. She's been taking care of him as an invalid and essentially a pet rock - struggle a bit with possibly infantalizing him, or projecting on him, etc. before falling madly in love with him.[/spoiler]

The book focuses a lot on madness and insanity but seems to think the only m
Franki (wardenswatch)
Ok when you take into consideration that the cover is something straight out of a person's worst nightmares it'll probably be strange to hear me say that this story was cute, but... it was cute. A rom com with a little demonistic body horror on the side.

The art is also SUPERB and if I was judging it on that alone it'd get 5 stars, but when considering the writing itself...

The story is lacking in depth, particularly the finale in which things are solved "offscreen" with no explanation for how o
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Series page? 3 22 Nov 16, 2013 10:07PM

• Nailbiter, Vol. 1: There Will Be Blood (Nailbiter, #1)
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 2: Bloody Hands (Nailbiter, #2)
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 3: Blood in the Water (Nailbiter, #3)
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 6: The Bloody Truth (Nailbiter, #6)
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 5: Bound by Blood (Nailbiter, #5)
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 4: Blood Lust (Nailbiter, #4)
  • Batman: Three Jokers
  • Primer
  • Crossed, Vol. 1
  • Revival, Vol. 2: Live Like You Mean It
  • Outcast, Vol. 2: A Vast And Unending Ruin
Paul Tobin is the Eisner-award winning, New York Times-bestselling author of Bandette, Colder, and many other comic books and graphic series.

Bandette, drawn by Colleen Coover, was awarded the Eisner Award for Best Digital Series in 2013, 2016, and 2017; and was a finalist for the Oregon Book Award for Graphic Literature in 2016. His original graphic novel I Was the Cat was nominated for an

Colder (Collected Editions) (3 books)
  • Colder, Vol. 2: The Bad Seed