Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes: The Liverpool Demon” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes: The Liverpool Demon

Sherlock Holmes: The Liverpool Demon (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite Comics #2)

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The legendary detective Sherlock Holmes and his trusted associate Dr. Watson investigate one of the strangest cases in their career! With mauled bodies appearing on the streets of Liverpool, rumors circulate that the culprit might be an inhuman monster known as Spring Heeled Jack. Determined to solve the case and debunk the city's superstitions, Holmes delves into the crim ...more
Published November 26th 2013 by Dynamite Entertainment (first published October 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes

Sean Gibson
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Having recently rewatched the brilliant Sherlock episode “The Abominable Bride” (tiny orgasm from watching the best recent incarnation of Sherlock Holmes being set in the proper time and place? Check), I found myself in dire need of a Holmes fix, ideally one that included an immersive visual element. So, I started scouring the interwebs and purchased every Holmes graphic novel I could find that I didn’t already own and decided to start with this one.

If “The Abominable Bride” is visual perfection
Chris
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I’m not sure what all to say except that I am really disappointed. I was fortunate enough to find this on Netgalley as an advanced reader edition. I loved the first book in the Sherlock Holmes graphic novels, so I figured this would be awesome to read. I was a bit wrong.

The story wasn’t that great. Not that the writing was terrible, but the plot was dull, and there was a lot of awkward feeling dialog. I realize that certain characters had a cockney accent, and it is really hard to write how the
Eric
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: For those who can never have enough Sherlock Holmes
Adapting Sherlock Holmes is tough. He has become an important, popular sub-genre of the detective tale, and between Arthur Conan Doyle's original canon, other authors' additions, and countless depictions from past television and film adaptations -- such as turns as the consulting detective by Basil Rathbone, Robert Downey Jr., and Benedict Cumberbatch, among many others -- there are many tropes and traditions to follow, or intentionally diverge from. These decisions are what lead to the success ...more
Travis Starnes
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The art in this series is perfect for the period. Everything is done in shades of brown, the only blacks are the inking. When there is a real colour, a vivid red for blood or a magical green glow it stands out and wants to be noticed. When we think of historical pieces, films or big budget TV shows or even portraits from the period, we are shown only the rich and powerful, those who could afford expensive cloth and more importantly, expensive dyes. Until the age in which we live, brown has to be ...more
Calvin Daniels
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aa-holmes-have
Lots of gritty goodness
Suzanne
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I am a big Holmes fan, so I was very curious to see how well done this book was. As the author explains in the afterword, many of the details of the story were based on real incidents in 1888 Liverpool. There were gangs who extorted protection money, there were zoos and animal exhibits, there were dogs and other animals used in pit fighting, and it was a very busy harbor town with ships arriving from all over the world. The idea of having Holmes investigate what the locals believe to be a demon ...more
John Shaw
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very, very difficult task to accomplish
to create a Holmes story that is clever and
in the proper character with out being completely
larcenous of Conan Doyle.
This book manages it with quite a deft hand
Wayne McCoy
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Sherlock Holmes and the Liverpool Demon is another in a long line of Sherlock Holmes tributes. The story here, according to the excellent introduction by noted Holmes scholar Leslie S. Klinger takes place around the time of The Sign Of The Four, which places Holmes and Watson in Liverpool. Actually, it's a bit sad when the introduction is more memorable than the story to follow.

Holmes and Watson are in Liverpool finishing up a case, when they get wrapped up in another one. This one may involve s
Jennifer Boyce
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes is such a well known and frequently written about character that it is really hard to write something original about him - yet this book manages to be original.

Not only is the Sherlock Holmes story turned into a graphic novel, but it's a well done graphic novel. The story itself is interesting enough to draw the reader in without being too over the top in trying to create a great Holmes story. While parts of the story seemed to get a little confusing at times, I just attributed t
Alyssia
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this graphic novel from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I found this graphic novel to be fairly lackluster. I tried to be interested, but the majority of the plot felt flat and boring. I didn't like the style of the illustrations, the choice in lighting and, for the most part, I found the dialogue to be boring.

The thing is, it was clear that the author put effort into fitting this graphic novel into the classic canon. Both research and commentary were provided to
Brooke
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Riju Ganguly
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is what a pastiche should be! A compact, fast-paced adventure which is gritty, based stubbornly on the grim realities of fin-de-siècle England, true in characterisation of the dynamic duo, full of brilliant sketch-work (a little over-stylised at times, but vastly better than some of the horrific drawings that I have encountered in some other graphic novels recently), and eminently gothic! Brilliant work. Recommended.
Lizabeth Tucker
In essence, this concludes the various thread that were left after "The Trial of Sherlock Holmes". Much more action in this one.

I had bought all three Dynamite Sherlock Holmes issues at one time. To be honest, if I hadn't , I wouldn't have bought more than one max. I prefer my artwork to be cleaner, to be able to tell characters apart. I can see the quality of the work, it is just in a style that doesn't appeal to me. 3 out of 5.
Mike Marlow
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Holmes is a hot property these days, but mostly in a modernized form. Moore and Reppion keep him in his native Victorian Britain, which I like. They also try to keep it as historically realistic as they can, which I also like. Overall this is well done, with mostly accurate language and very nicely darkened art (much of the story is either nighttime or underground). I like it.
Ron
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, detective
Leah Moore provides an interesting addition to the Holmes-Watson saga with The Liverpool Demon. Holmes and Watson are in Liverpool when a murder catches Holmes eye. Of course he involves himself and Watson in solving the case. The tale is well told, the art is appropriate for the time period, but I found the visage of Holmes irritating/off-putting. But overall, a very well-done tale.
Cagne
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I hoped for a real demon. A lot of the irish slang got lost on me.
Ystyn Francis
Extremely high quality illustrations that were very appropriate to the era and the Sherlock Holmes canon, and a narrative with multiple facets that warrant repeat readings.
Steven
Great story, but very uneven art. Volume three soon, please?
Margot  (The Bookworm Experiment)
Undeveloped plot + weird dialogues + horrible artwork = boring and confusing story
Andrew Garvey
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Liked it a lot.

Full review coming soon at www.spookyisles.com
Theresa
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes: The Liverpool Demon
Moore, Leah *
the pictures are a little dark... The demon of Liverpool is an artistic adventure of dispelling myth and searching for facts...
Eric Fry
Jul 14, 2017
Piotr
May 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
LEAH MOORE is an author, columnist, and digital comics evangelist, born in Northampton, England in 1978.

Leah's comic writing career began in 2002 with stories for America's Best Comics. Most recently her solo comics scripting has appeared as part of Dynamite Entertainment's Gail Simone masterminded crossover series Swords of Sorrow (2015, with Francesco Manna).

In 2006 Leah wrote the story and cop
More about Leah Moore

Sherlock Holmes Dynamite Comics (4 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes: Year One
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: Moriarty Lives