Start by marking “Where Thy Dark Eye Glances: Queering Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
Where Thy Dark Eye Glances: Queering Edgar Allan Poe

Where Thy Dark Eye Glances: Queering Edgar Allan Poe

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The canon of Edgar Allan Poe, one of the foremost writers of dark and atmospheric fiction and poetry, offers readers haunted shores teeming with various erudite men brooding in the waning light over their feelings for unobtainable women. Yet, whether the tales or verses are grotesque or sinister, Poe's narrators are Outsiders, dealing with emotions that so many LGBT indivi ...more
Published July 25th 2013 by Lethe Press (first published July 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Where Thy Dark Eye Glances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Thy Dark Eye Glances

Anthony
My review will be appearing on the Strange Horizons magazine website in a few weeks. I'll come back and add the link then. I will also link to my reviews of the individual stories once they're up.

And here is the link to the Strange Horizons review: http://www.strangehorizons.com/review...

I have not posted individual story reviews, as the year has gotten away from me.
Jean Roberta
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This diverse anthology of work in homage to the great gothic writer Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) is divided into three sections: “Poe the Man” (pieces based on the known facts of Poe’s life), “Poe’s Writing” (stories and poems based on Poe’s work), and “Reading Poe” (pieces that show the influence of Poe on “queer,” marginalized readers in later generations). The effect of these different approaches is multi-dimensional.

In the section on “Poe the Man,” the sweetest piece is “The City and the Stra
Clare
Jul 18, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: authored
I have a story in this anthology "TELLTALE". It's a great book, with a combination of essays and fiction, inspired by both/either Poe's stories or Poe the man. Enjoy!!
Nathan Burgoine
Aug 26, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anthologies, glbt
"The City and The Stranger," by Seth Cadin

This is the first tale in Where Thy dark Eye Glances: Queering Edgar Allen Poe, and I have to say it starts off with a perfect mix of lyricism, darkness, and just a trace or two of the erotic. The first part of this collection is "Poe the Man" and this tale takes the time Poe was in New York (and rather impoverished) and spins a kind of "what-if?" around the poem Israfel.

The mix of real and the potentiality of what might perhaps be less real is drawn lig
Jerry L. Wheeler
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Queering Edgar Allan Poe is such a wonderful idea I can’t believe no one’s thought of it before, but at least Steve Berman is on the ball. And, as wonderful as the idea itself is, the product is even better. Where Thy Dark Eye Glances is one of the most consistent and consistently imaginative anthologies I’ve read in quite a while. The first section is “Poe the Man,” which has stories and poems featuring Poe himself. The second section, “Poe’s Writings,” comprises the meat of the book and contai ...more
MidnightMovieGay
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Slowly I’ve been getting through the massive piles of books I have around my studio – and inside my NOOK – and more than a few are from queer publishing house Lethe Press. From poetry to non-fiction, they offer up something for most bookworms, including horror and mystery offerings for those of us with darker tastes.

The first options of these offerings I delved into were two anthologies. Each of these books asked their authors to draw inspiration from two different historic horror icons; literar
Elisa Rolle
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
2013 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Rachel H
Jul 22, 2014
Will
Mar 06, 2015
Christopher
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Richard
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Seth Cadin
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Claire Humphrey
Jul 02, 2013
Tj
Jul 10, 2013
Terra
Jul 12, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
Oct 15, 2013
Miranda Wood
Nov 01, 2013
Collin Kelley
Nov 10, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Rubulais Didibroth
Mar 14, 2014
Greg
Mar 31, 2014
Some tidbits about me...

I turned down a scholarship to Miskatonic University because I heard of the high rate of incidents against the student population.

I briefly worked for Omni Consumer Products in their Marketing Department. Great benefits, nice cafeteria, sadly too prone to executive whim.

Last year I stayed at the noted Mauna Pele resort in Hawaii. The accommodations were impressive but my tr
More about Steve Berman...