Start by marking “Dust Devil on a Quiet Street” as Want to Read:
Dust Devil on a Quiet Street

Dust Devil on a Quiet Street

Dust Devil on a Quiet Street chronicles the remarkable life of Boston-born, New York City-reared author Richard Bowes. Bowes’s childhood and adolescent brushes with dramatic spirits and hustlers, large and small, paved the way for his adult encounters with the remarkable, the numinous, the supernatural. Deftly orchestrated, this “memoir” is part impassioned homage to Manha ...more
Paperback, 1st, 318 pages
Published June 21st 2013 by Lethe Press

To ask other readers questions about Dust Devil on a Quiet Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dust Devil on a Quiet Street

Richard
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it and I read it. I found each to be a great experience!
Anthony
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rick Bowes' latest novel sits in that weird interstitial place between genres and categories. It's a memoir, but fictionalized. It's urban fantasy in the sense that New York City, and particularly Greenwich Village, is as much a character as Bowes himself and the folks he runs with, but you won't find a snarky wizard or changeling at the center of the action. It's a very subtle kind of horror, the type that doesn't outright make you jump but does settle a sense of unease on your subconscious tha ...more
Ian Mond
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If there's justice in the world this book is being read (and enjoyed) by thousands of people. A magnificent and at times poignant portrait of New York, and particularly Manhattan, that melds memoir with the imagination. Well done the World Fantasy judges for nominating this book in the best novel category.
Kim
I loved this. I found it mind-bending, honest and downright weird. I learnt things from this book, about writing, about life and about myself. I really loved it.
Hilcia
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to Richard Bowes's writing by way of a short story. Later I read and really enjoyed his adult fairy tale book The Queen, The Cambion, and Seven Others. His short story "Grierson at the Pain Clinic" in the Wilde Stories 2013 anthology was so unique and creative that I went hunting for his Lambda Literary Award-winning novel Minions of the Moon. So what is it that about Richard Bowes' works that grabbed me? I love the realism he utilizes to set up his fantasy. His latest fantasy novel Dust Devil ...more
Patricia Bergman
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I won this through Goodreads giveaway.

"Dust Devil" is a fascinating stream of consciousness work of brilliant writing. I am not sure that I would actually classify this book in the genre of fantasy. I would define it as hallucinations brought on by an excess use of designer drugs and booze. It seems to me that Mr. Bowes is illustrating the demons that climb into the mind during each drug use and the residue left behind. The ghosts are real and reality is fiction.
William Gerke
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lovely, haunting, and disturbing all at once. Bowes blends real events and characters with things clearly representative of the real with truly supernatural occurrences to craft a book that's one part memoir and one part haunting. A vivid and well-written history of New York City with a dash of the weird to keep things interesting.
Thekelburrows
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
A boring memoir masquerading as fiction.
Jerry L. Wheeler
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fact? Fiction? Memoir? Ghost story? Well, Richard Bowes’ latest release Dust Devil on a Quiet Street is some of all of these. Rather than the mess that has the potential to be, Bowes pulls the hybrid off effortlessly, coming up with a moving, elegiac melange that’s as much a love letter to Manhattan as it is an excursion through dusty diaries. Taking the aftermath of the World Trade Center collapse on 9/11 as his starting point, Bowes uses the hole in the ground left by the tragedy to dredge up ...more
Paul Mclaughlan
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, lit, urban
Liked so much of it, though it's a little too navel-gazing, perhaps I'd get more from it if I had lived in Greenwich Village during the 70s? Too specific, without exploring it with us readers. However, the more modern parts were lovely, so I imagine the other parts would be wonderful for someone who'd been there, too.
Bill Hsu
Jun 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: abandoned
I really wanted to like this more. There are good stories about being gay in New York in the decades before gentrification, and the 9/11-related material is treated with relative restraint. Unfortunately, the writing is quite a list of my pet peeves. Sorry.
willowdog
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
In post 9/11, when the hole in the world has been opened, a retired librarian is confronted with memoirs of interlinked past relationships and events, dust devils swirling. Evocative of gay New York from the sixites.
Ryan
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Really interesting, far more literary fiction than fantasy, though it had elements mixed throughout. Very engaging read.
Keith
Jul 11, 2014 added it
No rating from me. You have to care about Richard Bowes to appreciate this book. I don't.
Amy
Jan 08, 2014
Jan
Apr 25, 2019
Kathryn
rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2018