Start by marking “The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child” as Want to Read:
The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child

The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The acclaimed book for parents whose children have special needs in school. The individualized Education Program, or IEP, determines the nuts and bolts of your child's special education. But it's easy to get lost in the paperwork and bureaucracy.
The Complete IEP Guide is your map through the IEP process. The book provides all the instructions, suggestions, strategies, reso
Published October 1st 2005 by NOLO (first published March 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete IEP Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete IEP Guide

Olive
Jun 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
IEPs = hate.

I read this at the beginning of my first year teaching as a high school resource science teacher. Having almost no idea about the legal crazyness that is an IEP, I thought I might get some insight here. This book seems to have the goal of helping parents becomes advocates for their child in special education but the way it is written makes it just as confusing and frustrating as the special education system itelf. 1 star is all I can muster to give.
Ki Goff
Jul 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Extremely useful. I think that any parent with a special needs child should read this one through, and own it.

But I think it should be taken with one grain of salt--this seems to deal mostly with those horrible worst-case situations when you have to fight tooth and nail with the school system. I don't think it gives quite enough on the fact that there may be school systems out there who have great programs, know how to help your child, and are going to do everything they can to help him/her.

So
Stephanie
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely useful and a must read for any parent getting ready to create an IEP with a special needs team for the first time. I'll probably buy my own copy as this was borrowed from the library.

It certainly isn't an exciting or imaginative read, but the content is easy to understand and navigate. I learned a ton about the process we will begin within the next year as our youngest transitions from IFSP to IEP.
Kristen
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parentingetc
Excellent resource. I need to buy a copy of this one to keep on hand for when incidences come up along in the IEP process (which is inevitable). Invaluable information about your rights as a parent and what to do each step of the way to make sure you are getting what your child needs. I highly recommend it.
Jeannette
Feb 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This book is heavy on the legal side of things and less on the how-to/helpful tips kind of thing. It is great to have alongside the more practical book, though. I found its legal depth really helpful.
Beth
Feb 16, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great basic IEP info. Easy to read and understand. Unfortunately I already knew a lot of the information, but a great resource. Would be very helpful for parents new to the process!
Adalheid
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that has to do an IEP with their school
I learned that navigating the school system's IEP process, and getting the dirt on what your school will support without a fight is difficult, but worth it. This simplifies the process.

Aiesha
Good book for parents navigating the SPED journey. Clear, concise and sometimes repetitious info that helps "break down" the info.
Tara
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely helpful, full of information.
Blake
Suzanne Witt
Apr 15, 2016
Anna
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of special needs children
Everything you could ever want to know about preparing for and having an IEP...
Terry