Start by marking “Inmoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)” as Want to Read:
Inmoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)

Inmoral

(Jonathan Stride #1)

El teniente Jonathan Stride está sufriendo un desagradable episodio de déjà vu. Por segunda vez en un año, una guapa adolescente ha desaparecido de las calles de Duluth, una pequeña y apacible ciudad a orillas de un lago. Las víctimas no pueden ser más diferentes; primero fue la dulce Kerry McGrath y ahora se trata de Rachel Deese, una chica problemática y seductora. Los ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Ediciones B (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Inmoral, please sign up.

Start your review of Inmoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Wow! I just loved this. It had suspense all the way through it. What a page turner, and the ending, I was not expecting that. There was no question or doubt in my rating. I would of given it more stars if I could. It definitely isn't for the faint of the heart. If you can handle Karin Slaughter you can handle this one. I cannot wait to read the rest of this series.

This is the first book in the Jonathan Stride Series. This is a legal thriller mystery. Jonathan and Serena get together hunting for
Barbara

In this first book in the 'Jonathan Stride' series, the police detective is troubled by two cases of missing teenage girls. The mystery is chock-a-block with twists, so I'm going to be circumspect in my review to avoid spoilers.

*****

Lieutenant Jonathan Stride of Duluth, Minnesota is having a rough time.

He's still mourning the death of his beloved wife Cindy, who succumbed to cancer, and a 16-year-old girl named Kerry McGrath has been missing for over a year. Stride's investigation failed to
Tim The Enchanter
This was one of my Dominican Vacation reads. As I read so many books this week, I will be doing a more compact review so I can catch up.

A Killer Debut - 4 Stars

The novel is set in the cold and quiet streets of Duluth, Minnesota. These are not the mean streets of Detroit and major crime is not an everyday occurrence. A year after the mysterious disappearance of a teenaged girl, the Detective Jonathan Stride is faced with another disappearance that is eerily similar. The investigation reveals
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow....this is about as compulsive a read as I've ever read.
At the core of the book we have Detective Stride. He's not perfect. He's not a macho super cop. He's got flaws and his own emotional baggage, but he's a good cop and he does the best that he can. In other words, he reads like a real person.

a year prior to the book's events, as they unfold, is the disappearance of a local girl named Kerry McGrath. Stride was lead detective on that case with his partner Maggie. That crime was never
Sean Peters
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Brian Freeman.

It is nice to read his first book, when you are introduces to three of his main characters, Jonathon Stride, Maggie and Serena.

Three great powerful and strong characters, as Brian let's you get to know their personalities throughout this powerful and gripping book.

One of the first books that has taken me through a serial killer/murderer, a court case to more even more story.

So many twists and turns, with for me no glues at all to how this was going to end, a
Jeff Dickison
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent debut novel. Duluth, Minnesota detective and his lady partner investigate a disappearance (thought to be murder) of a young hellion who hates her mom and screws her dad. Story ends in Las Vegas with the detective in the arms of another lady detective. Be forewarned, some of the sex scenes are pretty vivid. The first Freeman I have read, but I will probably read more.
LJ
IMMORAL (Police Procedural-Duluth, MN-Cont) – Ex
Freeman, Brian – 1st book
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2005- Hardcover
Lt. Jonathan Stride, is investigating the second case of a girl who has disappeared without a trace. The first girl was sweet, well-liked and never found. Now a second girl has disappeared, but she’s hard, promiscuous, has a very adversarial relationship with her mother and there’s something not right about the relationship with the step father. Are the cases related? Are the girls dead
Brian Freeman
Jan 13, 2009 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This was my debut novel in 2004. It was selected as International Book of the Month and sold in 17 languages. The book won the Macavity Award and was a finalist for the Edgar, Dagger, Barry, and Anthony Awards for best first novel. Write to me at brian@bfreemanbooks.com or visit my web site (www.bfreemanbooks.com) or Facebook page.
Brenda
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well told story, likeable characters, twists and turns. Very good book and I'll be reading more from this author!
Jim
Not quite 3 stars, but it's the first of a series & has possibilities. The murder mystery & the overall way it played out was excellent. The characters were very well drawn & believable, quite often adding to the story. Ditto with the love interests & the realism of the police work involved. I can't say that I have any great feelings for the main character. I didn't dislike him, but he didn't excite me the way some do.

The execution was a little rough. The book was long, although
Pamela
Feb 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's very, very rare that I don't finish an audio book once I've started it. I did manage to finish this, but only just.

One of the more annoying things about it was the sex. It's not that there was sex in it that annoyed me, it was the way the writer described it. His sex scenes were very detailed--detailed in an almost clinical way that seemed to go on forever and ever.

There were other bodily functions that were described in far too much detail. BUT! The one thing he didn't explain is how he
Donna
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I'm conflicted in writing this review for this book. I like Brian Freeman books. He can write a great story with lots of twists and turns. I feel that is true with this book. It was a great story.

It is with some of the details in the story that have me arching my eyebrows. The main "detail" was the characters. I love the MC. He is flawed but strong. Personality wise, he is similar to other MC's in this genre. I guess the women come across as a stretch because they are all vying for his
Fran
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immoral: Brian Freeman
As you hear the voice of the killer in the prologue an image begins to form within the reader’s mind as to who would do such an evil thing to a young girl. Several teens are missing and one dead as Rachel Deese disappears but finding her will not be easy. Rachel is not the most wonderful teen nor does she endear you to her as you get to know her better. Listening to her two friends when questioned by the police, you hearing their conflicting accounts of her character, where
Judy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a good mystery by Brian Freeman, a new author to me. He has several series going, and I liked this well enough to read more. If I can be picky, I don't like the name of the police Lieutenant--what kind of a name is Jonathan Stride? But he is a good detective and like-able protagonist. I was interested in the mystery and a bit of a twist at the end.
Karen
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this story started off strong and I was hooked and totally loving it. I enjoyed the character Stride, who lost his wife to cancer, but was slowly thinking about dating again. His partner Maggie took awhile to grow on me. By the mid to end of the book I started liking her. She reminded me of Arnold Schwarzenegger's partner in Kindergarten Cop...but an Asian version.

When the book got to the "Three Years Later" chapter, I started disliking the turns it was taking. Stride, who seemed like a
Donna
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this first book of the series, Minnesota Detective Jonathan Stride investigates the disappearance of a teenage girl and he thinks her stepfather may have murdered her to cover up an affair. The stepfather swears the girl is alive and manipulating the case. Another teenaged girl went missing a year ago, although Stride hasn't uncovered evidence that the two are related.

Readers get to meet Stride's cop partner Maggie Bei and another great detective from Las Vegas, Serena Dial.

This past month,
CD {Boulder Blvd}
There were some good moments in this book, and I wavered between liking it and being annoyed with it. But the ending seemed so implausible that it felt more like a means for the main character to move on with a new woman versus solving a crime. The plot got convoluted versus interesting and by the time I finished it was a solid two star read.
Abbie
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
What a fun ride with such vibrant characters!
Desert Rose
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the debut novel of this author and what a debut!
It's the first book with detective Stride although I read the third book in the series (Stalked) first and that was before I knew it was a series.

Lieutenant Stride and his partner Maggie have been investigating a missing teenage girl's case for over a year with no luck and then another teenage girl goes missing.
No signs of running away are detected and no clues to where she could be.. All the evidence points that she was murdered.
So are
Barbara ★
This had a good premise though the story jumped all over the place - space and time - which I found irritating. I didn't really like Jonathan Stride though I did like his partner Maggie. I didn't feel the romance between Andrea and Stride. It just felt flat and forced. (view spoiler) Heck in one paragraph Stride is thinking how he understood how her ex could have called her ...more
Ed
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1 in the Jonathan Stride series. 2006 Macavity Award for Best First Novel; Finalist 2005 Edgar Award for Best First Novel; Finalist 2006 Anthony Award for Best First Novel; Finalist 2006 Barry Award for Best First Novel; Finalist 2006 New Blood Dagger Award.

Duluth, MN Police Lt. Jonathan Stride is searching for missing teenager Rachel Deese. The media is putting on pressure by comparing the disappearance with that of another teenager a year earlier. Evidence mounts, however, that Rachel had
Tgordon
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever done something immoral? I bet you have, I have but it’s not something we like to admit. Is doing something immoral to protect someone we love ok? Eye for an Eye? This book unraveled that for me especially at the end. Because this is a series I bet that will come to full circle on Jonathan Stride the detective in this first book. I’m poised and ready for it. Great book fast moving which I love. I love great flowery worded book also but this is not that. It’s fast and suspenseful the ...more
Thomas Strömquist
Read the first two parts ofthis series, but that's it for me. Competently written, but I feel that there's so much better offerings in the genre. My main gripe is with the characters being so unbelievably good, beautiful, sexy, cool and much much more. Key word being unbelievably, distracts me from the story.
Jan
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
I devoured this book! Didn't figure out who was responsible until the very end it was that well scripted. Love Jonathan Stride!
Joe Stamber
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, audio-read
This is a review of the audio version of Immoral. First of all, I have to say that it seemed to go on forever, but even so it never dragged and I was never bored. I listen for around an hour a day on my commute to and from work, and rarely on days off. Jonathon Stride is an enjoyable character to spend time with, often reminding me of Harry Bosch, but with plenty of differences to the great man (character) too.

The plot is long and complicated in parts, involving a year-old unsolved missing girl
Mark Soone
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been going back and forth between 4 and 5 stars (Likely would go 4.5 if that was an option), but leaned towards the 5 because it has been a while since I have read a crime suspense thriller series that I have enjoyed quite as much as this one. For me, and my reading preferences, I would put this on par with Michael Connely (Harry Bosch), Ridley Pearson (Boldt/Matthews) & John Sandford (Lucas Davenport) as one of my favorite series.

I had never even heard of freeman untill one of my
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: Wendy Catalano and Marilyn Killilee
One thing I always look forward to in a book, is not being able to anticipate the ending. Because of that, I have become a real fan of the thriller genre with it fast pace and high amount of plot twists. In fact, I was beginning to think that no amount twists could be to many, but I have to say, in this book Brian Freeman accomplished it. There were so many plot twists in this story, that I actually had trouble keeping up with them all. Not really, but almost. That is the only thing that I could ...more
April
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brian Freeman is a hell of a writer. The setting, Duluth, Minn., is such an important factor in the book that it's like one of the main characters. The reader can almost feel the bite of the fierce wind blowing off of Lake Superior, can see that hill littered with old houses battered by harsh northern winters.

Another thing Freeman does well is he creates back stories for characters even if we only see that character for one chapter. I loved how he just fills in these blanks and really fleshes
Dino Bolton
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite story. Lt. Stride, a Deluth,MN cop trying to solve the mystery of two missing teenage girls. He gets help from Serena, a Las vegas cop as the case has some connection with a case Serena is working on from Las Vegas. They team up to solve the cases and takes them from Mn. to Las vegas. They also become lovers and sometimes this causes some problems. Stride and Serena are my favorite two persons in the fictional world of books. They both are featured in all five of his own novels.

Carole
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't my typical genre, but I picked up this book because I grew up in Duluth, MN and was intrigued to read a book set in this city. Even better, the investigation leads to Las Vegas, my current city of residence! The beginning was a little slow, but as we learn the back stories of many of the characters, it picks up quickly. The courtroom scene ended in a shock and the action continued through the rest of the book.

Jonathan Stride is a detective investigating the death of a rather unlikable

• Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • Dead Boyfriends (Mac McKenzie, #4)
  • Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6)
  • Dead Man's Mistress (Mac McKenzie, #16)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Penance (Holland Taylor, #1)
  • The Last Kind Word (Mac McKenzie, #10)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)
  • Rebels And Thieves
  • Curse of the Jade Lily (Mac McKenzie, #9)
  • Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Taking of Libbie, SD (Mac McKenzie, #7)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
Brian Freeman is a New York Times bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride, Frost Easton, and Cab Bolton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 22 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots.

His 2019 releases include the latest San Francisco-based Frost Easton

Jonathan Stride (10 books)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride, #6)
  • Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride, #7)
  • Marathon (Jonathan Stride, #8)
  • Alter Ego (Jonathan Stride #9)
  • Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10)