Start by marking “I Am Amelia Earhart” as Want to Read:
I Am Amelia Earhart

I Am Amelia Earhart

We can all be heroes. That’s the inspiring message of this lively, collectible picture book biography series from New York Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer.
�Kids always search for heroes, so we might as well have a say in it,” Brad Meltzer realized, and so he envisioned this friendly, fun approach to biography �for his own kids, and for yours. Each book tells the stor
Published January 14th 2014 by Dial Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Amelia Earhart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Amelia Earhart

Start your review of I Am Amelia Earhart
Calista
A straight forward telling of Amelia’s life. I love the opening of the book. As a child, Amelia set up some boards as a ramp off a shed in her back yard. She put wheels on a box and then greased the boards to make it faster. She did the jump and survived. It was lots of fun. The kids loved that. We don’t have any boards like that, so they are safe from trying this.

These stories are great peeks into lives of famous stories that can encourage a child to be interested in a person to find out more.
David Schaafsma
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done."--Amelia Earhart

I've always been fascinated by Amelia Earhart, and know I'm not alone. Goodreads has 21 books on an Amelia kid list, and I have read some of them. Seltzer has done several bios for kids, and this is pretty good, simple, with photos in an appendix.

Amelia:

*Famous pilot Frank Hawks took her on his plane, and she was hooked
*First woman to fly the Atlantic
*First woman to fly it solo, in fourteen hours and fifty six minutes
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
"Never let anyone stop you. Whatever your dream is, chase it. Work hard for it. You will find it. It is the best lesson I can give."

Amelia Earhart is proof if you work hard, never give up, follow your dream, and don't let what others say you can't do hold you back, that YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! Amelia wasn't only the first women to fly over the Atlantic Ocean, during that same missing she also broke the record for crossing the ocean in the shortest amount of time. She also went on to break the women
Renee
I am Amelia Earhart is one of the books in the Ordinary People Change the World series for children by New York Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer and illustrator Christopher Eliopoulos. In this adorable picture book, the reader is introduced to the incomparable Amelia Earhart, best known for being the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic. But that wasn't the only record she set - in fact, she set many more including crossing the Atlantic in the shortest time and breaking the re ...more
Kristina Wise
I Am Amelia Earhart (Ordinary People Change the World) is a book written by Brad Meltzer. I Am Amelia Earhart is a biography written on the first woman to fly an air place across the Atlantic Ocean and the first woman to fly alone across the Atlantic Ocean. Determined to fly planes at such a young age, Amelia Earhart is an example of how a woman should go after her dreams and not settle. Our young girls today, need to be taught that they can be whatever they want to be and do whatever their hear ...more
Jocelin
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great introduction into the world of biographies for little readers. The story of Amelia Earhart is really done well. The story captures the readers attention and it incorporates a history lesson as well. I learned some thing about her myself by reading this book. The positive element about this book is encouraging kids to dream big. Mr. Meltzer has crafted a fun new way of looking at history. Well done.
Heidi
I have to say that the cartoon Amelia's cries of, "That was awesome!" made me laugh out loud, especially the excited look on her face. This is a story of pursuing one's dreams despite the doubts of others. The book does not go into her disappearance or some of the other things that happened in her life which is appropriate for the age group this is aimed at. The inclusion of photographs at the end of the book makes the story all the more realistic.
Faith
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is one book that I picked out for my class from the library and boy, did I do good - THEY LOVED IT! In the three weeks I had it from the library we read it so many times. Those five year olds definitely know their Amelia Earhart now. The comic-y type look of the book I think helped make it abnormally appealing to the pre-K-ers. It can be tough to find good educational books for the kids that they really get into. Glad this book is out there.
Brandy
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and another one (I am Albert Einstein) in the "Ordinary People Change the World" series and loved them both. The illustrations are cute, the descriptions of each role model's accomplishments are kid-friendly, and the messages about embracing curiosity and persisting in the face of critics and challenges are fantastic. I will have to collect the rest of the series!
Emerson and Theodore
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Solid 5 star inspirational book. Read with my 7 year old--Emerson loved the message. Book strikes a great combination of historical images with cartoon Drawings. Perfect.
Nicolas
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This ends with Amelia Earhart enjoying a ticker tape parade toasting her success. So. Take it with a grain of salt, is all I'm saying.
Jack Erin
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is About How Amelia Earhart Lurn to Fly,what she did and whare she Flew.
Katie Cipully
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elm-335
This book is a biography about Amelia Earhart written by Brad Meltzer. It is one of many books in the "I Am..: series. This book is a cute and fun way for kids to learn true and real facts about the lives of some very impact people throughout history. Even though this book is portrayed in a cartoonist and kid friendly way I would still use this book in upper elementary grades (3-5) due to the content it contains.

I would use this book in my classroom as an introduction to a larger lesson. One of
Kelsey Douglas
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a child, I always imagined Amelia Earhart as an adult who accomplished great things that were impossible for me to achieve as a kid. However, this book is a WOW read for me as it clearly shows kids how they can be like Amelia Earhart. It is beyond empowering for children to read about heroes as if they are everyday people; it shows kids that they can be heroes and that they can be whatever they want to be as they grow up.

This biography illustrates the life of Amelia Earhart for grades 2-3, r
Bailey Jones
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
I really loved reading this biography! It tells the story of Amelia Earhart's accomplishments in her life, while providing inspiration to fulfill your wildest dreams! This book goes through her life from a young child having a dream to fly, to being the first woman to cross the Atlantic Ocean!

This is a WOW book for me because I have always taken interest in Amelia Earhart since I was young and learned about how amazing she was. I had never read this specific book before, but after doing so I th
Emily Lloyd
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the Ordinary People Change the World series, Brad Meltzer has done it again. This amazing series is captivating and engaging for even the youngest of readers. This biography details Amelia Earhart's life and all of her achievements in a motivating and kid friendly way, with great illustrations that complement the book wonderfully. The book reminds you that it is okay to be yourself, and that woman don't always have to act like a stereotypical lady. She reminds students that in order to succ ...more
Linda
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I applaud authors of children's books for their creativity and passion to open the eyes of youngsters to life and it's possibilities! This is a great book to share with children - to demonstrate the importance of having a dream and chasing it. The best lesson is to work hard, pursue and confidence. Thank you, Brad Meltzer!
Nathan Albright
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: challenge-2018
This book, and likely the entire series (which I will be reviewing over the next few weeks, as I requested all of the books in the series that my library system had), forces the reader to face the question of how much truth should kids know about those viewed as historical heroes.  As far as historical heroes go, Amelia Earhart has always struck me as someone whose claim to lasting fame was a bit overrated.  This book openly admits that she wasn't the best pilot, but it gives a strangely selecti ...more
Olivia
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are similar to those of a comic book and are fun cartoons for elementary students to follow. The details depict the story and time very well.

Summary: Amelia Earhart refused to accept no for an answer and became the first woman to fly a plane all the way across the Atlantic Ocean. This book follows her from childhood to her first flying lessons and onward to her multi-record-breaking career as a pilot.

Response: The theme that "ordinary people change the world" is inspiring and l
Samantha
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perhaps what happened to American aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart is less important as to what she accomplished before being declared dead in absentia in 1939 at the age of 41. In this entry to the cute children series Ordinary People Change the World, author Brad Meltzer encourages readers to strive, dream big, and aim for the skies as Earhart did, portraying her as a brilliant woman who would not take a patriarchal no for an answer. From being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic to brea ...more
Matthew Watrous
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
It is no simple task to create a biographical picture book. Focusing on a single theme of a person's life and then making it come into focus with just a few words and illustrations is difficult. This book tackles the task and fails in one small area, Amelia's interest in airplanes came when she was an adult. However, in this book, the illustrations of a whimsical young girl, seem to indicate that she had this love affair her whole life. What is true is that she never gave up even when people sai ...more
Marisa Taddei
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book Title: I Am Amelia Earhart
Author: Brad Meltzer
Illustrator: Christopher Eliopoulos
Genre: Biography (K-2)
Theme(s): Amelia Earhart, Airplanes, Gender roles

Opening line/sentence: “I am Amelia Earhart.”

Brief Book Summary: This kid-friendly biography tells the story of famous Amelia Earhart and her adventures with flight. The book points out Earhart’s defiance of gender roles given the time period, and the notion that we can all be heroes. This is one of Brad Meltzer’s books from the “Ordinary pe
Joanne Roberts
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting format. Cartoony characters and plenty of humor. Examples from the subject's life used in a first person narrative. Describes both childhood incidents and adult accomplishments. Ends with a positive message: Keep trying if you want to achieve your dreams. Encourages girls to refuse limitations.
Shaeley Santiago
I've found the books in this series somewhat simplistic in terms of the biography. They are told with the point of view of a lesson to be learned by children from the person's life. At least the last few pages contain a timeline of events and some actual photos to accompany the illustrations.
Camden
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
overall I liked the book I am Amelia Earheart. I like the book because it gave you a ton of great information. The information filled in her hole life providing you really cool information.
Katie Solt
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
It was cute book. I Learned some new things about Amelia Earhart. It would be good for kids read and learn
Amanda Knowles
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary: I am Amelia Earhart by Brad Meltzer is a picture book that takes the reader on a journey through the inspiring life of Amelia Earhart. We meet Amelia at a young age, as a young girl who was eager to try new things, no matter who tried to stop her. This refusal to say no is a factor in what got her to the point of breaking world flying records and proving that if you hold onto your dreams and work hard, you can be successful.

Review: I loved everything about this picture book. It is to
Anna W.
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
"But here's my secret: I wasn't a natural [flyer].
I wasn't the best pilot.
I just worked harder than anyone else."

It is unfortunate for I Am Amelia Earhart that I read I Am Marie Curie first... which was super hard to beat. While Curie's "I am..." book had what seemed like more detail and information, Earhart's is very quick and easy to read. Flying seems more relatable than science experiments, in some ways.

This is another great book about the perseverance of women in a time when women weren'
Lauren Ellington
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Grade: 3rd-5th
Genre: Informational Text

I am Amelia Earhart by Brad Meltzer encompasses the most important aspects of Amelia Earhart's life in kid-friendly language and intriguing illustrations. This book retraces Earhart's life and highlights her most important accomplishments and failures that made her the iconic hero that we read about today. This book encourages children to stick with their dreams no matter the setbacks and always persevere despite what others say.

I am Amelia Earhart is a WOW
n/a

Appropriate Grade level?
1-5

Original Summary:
Amelia Earhart is a wonderful role model for young women. Her story of becoming a pilot and fulfilling her dreams no matter the barrier is an inspiration. Earhart's story is empowering and encourages everyone that if they want something, they should chase after it, break down all barriers, and fulfill your dream.

Original Review:
Captivating read for individuals of all ages. Meltzer created a book that had a wonderful balance between

• Aliens Love Underpants
  • I Am Yoga
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • Pink and Say
  • The Butter Battle Book
  • The Brilliant Deep: Rebuilding the World's Coral Reefs: The Story of Ken Nedimyer and the Coral Restoration Foundation
  • The Scarecrow
  • Frida Kahlo (Little People, Big Dreams, #2)
  • Biscuit Loves the Library
  • Waiting is Not Easy! (Elephant & Piggie, #22)
Brad Meltzer is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Inner Circle, The Book of Fate, and nine other bestselling thrillers including The Tenth Justice, The First Counsel, The Millionaires, and The President’s Shadow. His newest book, The Escape Artist, debuted at #1 on the bestseller list.
In addition to his fiction, Brad is one of the only authors to ever have books on the bestseller lis