Start by marking “Waiting for Wednesday (Frieda Klein, #3)” as Want to Read:
Waiting for Wednesday (Frieda Klein, #3)

Waiting for Wednesday

(Frieda Klein #3)

Psychotherapist Frieda Klein finds she has an unusually personal connection with DCI Karlsson's latest case. She is no longer working with him in an official capacity, but when her niece befriends Ruth Lennox's son, Ted, she finds herself in the awkward position of confidante to both Karlsson and Ted.
When it emerges that Ruth was leading a secret life, her family closes ra
Published April 3rd 2014 by Pamela Dorman Books (first published May 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for Wednesday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting for Wednesday

Start your review of Waiting for Wednesday (Frieda Klein, #3)
Kathryn
Third instalment of Nicci French's series featuring Dr Frieda Klein. I preferred it to the second one and found the plotlines much more gripping, but I'm getting more and more irritated by Frieda as a character, especially the appalling way she treats her so-called friends and her insomnia, which the authors seem to have to remind us about every few pages. Maybe if Frieda actually ate some food once in a while, she'd sleep a bit better. So annoying to read a novel about yet another female charac ...more
Diane S ☔
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in this series and it was even better than the first two. The character of Frieda is so interesting, a psychotherapist who up until this book had worked with the police. This book finds her in mental turmoil, after her near death in the last. Three different storylines all relate to each other in some way. These are very character driven psychological suspense stories and the supporting character, DCI Larsson, Josef and her niece Chloe are also very interesting. Another great job ...more
Julie
Waiting for Wednesday by Nicci French is a 2014 publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It has taken me a good long while to get to this third book, but I wanted to locate the first two installments first, and it took a little time to get through library holds, but it was worth the wait.

This series must be read in order because the storylines bleed over from one book to the next. This one begins with Frieda’s recovery from
Emma
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, contemporary
The story was good but Frieda Klein is a very irritating character. I know this is the sign of a skilled author to make me feel so annoyed with her, but she’s almost too much for me to enjoy the story.
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5! I’m finding that I have a hard time reviewing books in a series, 1 after the other. This is the 3rd book in the Frieda Klein series & everything (positive!) i said about the first 2, are pretty much exactly what I’d say here! Except I liked this 1 even more! Now that we’re getting to know the usual characters better, it’s only making the stories & the mysteries even more compelling. Definitely 1 of my favorite series ever! (But you have to start at the beginning!) ...more
crίѕтίŋα•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•
“We’re taught to beware of strangers. It’s our friends most of us should worry about.”
- Frieda Klein

-——-
“Real secrets aren’t found in objects, in schedules, in the words we speak or the expressions we put on our faces, in underwear drawers and filing cabinets, deleted texts, and diaries pushed to the bottom of the bag. They are lodged far deeper, unguessable even to ourselves.”
- Frieda Klein

-——-
“Secrets are difficult to keep.
Everything has a consequence.”
- Malcolm Karlsson

“People are very co
Deanna
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve sort of fretted over how many stars to give this one. I have the previous one in the series a rounded up 5 stars. This one, after time and reflection to confirm this, was as well done as the previous one, and more ambitious and complex in some ways. But the enjoyment factor was down a notch for me.

That isn’t a valid criticism of the book, though, just how it fell with me.

The story is of the unraveling of the protagonist after the trauma at the ending of the previous book. An unraveling, f
Patrice Hoffman
For the longest I've been hoping to read a Nicci French crime, mystery thriller. When given the opportunity through Goodreads, I didn't hesitate to ask for an advanced copy. Once I was approved I did my usual happy jig. After reading Waiting for Wednesday I've come to the conclusion that I did myself a great disservice by not reading the previous Freida Klein novels.

This novel, Waiting for Wednesday begins with Ruth Lennox being discovered in her home by her daughter, dead from an apparent brut
Jenna
The story begins when a mother of three (Ruth Lennox) is found dead by her daughter inside their home. Ruth is a seemingly typical mother and housewife and the question is, who would want her dead and in such a brutal way? As the story unfolds, so do the layers of Ruth’s secret life as well as the rest of the family.

Although Psychotherapist Frieda Klein isn’t working with Karlsson on this particular case she is soon pulled in by a connection that she has with the case, through her niece and her
Kelli Wilson
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Good addition. Looking forward to reading the next Freida Kline book, Thursday's Children.

This isn't exactly a high suspenseful series. More of a steady and constant paced mystery novel. However, the patient and even tone, is supplemented by quite an intriguing main character. You are drawn to her, just as the other characters are drawn to her as well.

I don't read these in one sitting. I generally have taken a few breaks and finish reading over 2-3 days. Which is not typical for me whatsoe
Liesbeth
I normally love Nicci French books, and was looking forward to Waiting for Wednesday.
Rather disappointed with it though. Frieda Klein has started to get on my nerves a bit!
The whole following up on a hunch part, from one random comment to finding a serial killer, no, too random, too unbelievable. Several story lines run into one book, but don't join up, or glue together.
If you hadn't read the previous Frieda Klein books, this one would be rather hard to understand, as it links into the previou
Anne
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s always something a little unsatisfactory about reviewing the third book in a series. If you’ve read and loved the first two – Blue Monday and Tuesday's Gone – as I have, I must report that I thought this was the best yet. If you haven’t, don’t start with this one – although there are a few attempts to summarise what’s gone before, there are aspects you really won’t understand and appreciate, like Frieda’s chaotic relationships, the significance of Dean, the back stories of all the charac ...more
Laura Crosse
Yup this was it. This was the one that disappointed me. I knew it was coming. It's kind of inevitable, like the flu, you know it's going to get you but you don't know when or where.

There's always one book in every series that isn't the same. I suppose a series is lucky if it's only one book. At least it helps make the other books in the series seem even better than they actually were. See? Now my judgement is already beginning to get cloudy about this series. Maybe I was wrong, maybe they were
Kaethe Douglas
Picking up where the second book left off, and Klein is suffering. There's physical and emotional trauma from her last case, as well as holdovers from her first case. Scotland Yard's got cost-cutting measures that exclude her, her sister-in-law and niece aren't dealing well with one another, she's still having trouble asking for help, and to take her away from all that, she's become fascinated by the story of a missing young woman.

Meanwhile we're learning more about her backstory, and the lives
Azita Rassi
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it, no question there, but whose was that haircut memory after all? Lila’s? Or did her psychopath father have the combined feeling of power and tenderness when he was cutting *his* parent’s hair and later told Lila about it and she passed it to Agnes?
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Waiting For Wednesday is the third book in the series by husband and wife writing team Nicci French, featuring psychiatrist Dr Frieda Klein. Tuesday's Gone, the second book, was my introduction to this gritty, British crime fiction series and I was delighted to lay my hands on an ARC of this newest installment.

With her practice on hold while Frieda recovers from the near fatal injuries she sustained during the events of Tuesday's Gone and her official connection with the police department severe
Margaret
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
3/5

This is my least favorite Frieda Klein mystery so far. (Even a least favorite Frieda Klein is still a good read and better than many other mysteries.) There are way too many twists for me in this super-complicated plot. And at the same time, I enjoyed reading the book, even as I felt that not one more twist could be tolerated. This novel also keeps us up with all the various ins and outs of Frieda’s own life and that of her family and friends. As much as I enjoy reading about Frieda, not all
D Dyer
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
There was quite a lot to enjoy in this, the third entry in the series. It’s tightly plotted with some twists that I definitely didn’t see coming and both an intriguing mystery and a study of the impact murder can have on a family as seen through the eyes of Freda Klein, a psychologist still recovering from her near-death experience in the last book. French does an increasingly good job of creating compelling characters. They do fall into some mystery and thriller clichés, Klein’s insom
Lisa
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to this book, which is the third in the psychotherapist Frieda Klein story. The last book left us with a stalker, but this book opened with Frieda still damaged from the last book, no longer working while she recovers from her injuries.
This story did not sweep me along. Actually I started to feel it had no point at all. It did end in discovering who was killing the missing girls, but no-one along the way seemed to care - and I was feeling that also. I found the connections
Jacki Percival
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not as good as Monday and Tuesday, too many characters and unnecessary cold leads; on the whole a shambolic episode in the series...but hang in there, because Thursdays Child is less self indulgent, and will leave you waiting for Friday.
Kerry
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Warning: I would not recommend this book if you aren't reading this series in order. The books build on one another. Start with Monday and continue on. These are not good stand alones.

3.5 rounded up. I suppose in any series there have to be some weaker books and some that stand out. This book was a page turner as were the previous two but the character of Freda is getting a little annoying and strung out. The story focused around a family with secrets and a murdered mother. In the background was
Jem
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So so so sooooo amazing. I’m so impressed at how all three books of the series so far have completely gripped me. The more I read, the more I want to keep reading, so I keep reading more and more each day. 😂 I don’t know how the author makes it so engaging and thrilling with a new mystery each time. I was worried about forgetting previous details as it’s been a while since I read the first two books but it wasn’t a problem at all and was great to see the same old characters.
Again with this myst
Saar The Book owl
This is the 3th book in the series with Frieda Klein. I was doubting on how much to rate, but I stick wuth 3,5.
It was a good book and like the first 2, it starts like a rippling stream to continue into a more active river and a the end to close with storm at see. This is how you can discribe this book. The tension is more at the end and then the story stops to continue with the 4th book.
The only thing that annoyed me, was Frieda being so mentally down, treating her friends bad and just thinking
Heidi
4.5

Waiting for Wednesday, the third book in the Frieda Klein series, confirms all the reasons why Nicci French has been on my list of favourite authors ever since I picked up Secret Smile ten years ago and made it my mission to read every novel the author team has ever written. I cannot adequately explain why French’s writing so effectively manages to get under my skin. Perhaps a clue lies in the small technicolour details skilfully wrought into the storyline, which give the narrative an almost
Amy
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This novel is interesting and I see it's scope. I would suggest anyone going to start this novel should start from the beginning of the series.There are relationships and bonds between the people that's carried on from previous books, I could understand them and it didn't obstruct the reading in any way for me but I didn't enjoy the book from get go. The characters were not exactly likeable or had anything special to offer. The main character was cold and distant.The story gradually grows on you ...more
Suzy
3 1/2 stars
Following is my review for Tuesday's Gone, the second book in the Frieda Klein series. You can view it as my review for this installment, the third, substituting Waiting for Wednesday for all the Tuesday's Gone references, and substituting Thursday's Children for the next book I'm waiting to read! Everything except I felt that this one went on for a little too long and there were some coincidences where one has to suspend disbelief, causing me to take off a half star. Still an unputdo
Helena Wildsmith
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was exciting and kept me guessing until the very end, although I must admit that at times it felt a little boring. Unlike the first two in the series, I feel that this one contained a lot of unnecessary plot and characters which just didn't add anything to the story and just seemed to delay the ending. I still loved reading it and am looking forward to the next one but I hope that it will be a bit sharper and that Frieda seems a little less - dare I say - moody?
Unni Krishnan
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, mystery-hook
At some point of time I thought of stopping reading this book. Too many characters, too many side plots. At the end all the plots ended lamely. It would have been much better if they had concentrated on the main plot. I'm still puzzled how they managed to get a very good Saturday after all these ordinary books in this series.
Jill
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is book three in the detective/psychological thriller series featuring psychotherapist Dr. Frieda Klein, who is the occasional collaborator of London Detective Chief Inspector Malcolm Karlsson. There is no romantic involvement between the two, although not for want of enthusiasm among readers for the match-up.

The inexplicable and brutal murder of a seemingly normal happy woman with 3 kids that begins the story cries out for the services of a criminal psychologist, but Karlsson now has to wo
Karen
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the series and if you haven’t yet read ‘Blue Monday’ or ‘Tuesday’s Gone’ then I would suggest that you read the series in order. This book could be read as a standalone however the general character development , together with the continuing storyline concerning the reappearance of a murderer from the previous two books would make this a more meaningful read.

When we meet again with psychotherapist Freida Klein, she is still recovering from injuries sustained in the pre
Thriller fans: Extra serie - Frieda Klein #3 Wachten op woensdag 22 21 Nov 02, 2019 10:59AM

• The Twilight Hour
  • In mijn dromen
  • Jagersmaan
  • Maan en zon
  • Dagboek van een getuige
  • The Seven Sisters (The Seven Sisters, #1)
  • Confettiregen
  • The Winter House
  • Labyrint
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature

Frieda Klein (8 books)
  • Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1)
  • Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2)
  • Thursday's Child (Frieda Klein, #4)
  • Friday on My Mind (Frieda Klein, #5)
  • Dark Saturday (Frieda Klein, #6)
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
  • The Day of the Dead (Frieda Klein #8)