Start by marking “Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover” as Want to Read:
Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover

Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover

Amelia and her dog are best friends . . . until Princess Sparkle-Heart comes along. Soon, Amelia and Princess Sparkle-Heart are doing everything together: having tea parties, attending royal weddings, keeping each other's secrets.
     Princess Sparkle-Heart may be an awesome princess doll—but is she any match for a jealous canine?
     Look out, Princess Sparkle-Heart!

Published April 1st 2014 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover

Manybooks
Now I had fondly thought and hoped that Josh Schneider's Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover would be much entertaining and fun (and yes indeed, the book title certainly did and still does sound appealing and intriguing). However, while there definitely is a certain amount of sly humour and important messages presented in Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover regarding remaking and strengthening used and destroyed toys, and perhaps also concepts and ideas on how to combat jealousy and potent ...more
Betsy
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I’ll just sit back and think about how the advent of the internet has affected literary culture. I don’t mean book promotion or reviews or any of that. I’m talking about the very content of books themselves. On the one hand, it accounts for the rise in Steampunk (a desire for tactile, hands-on technology, gears and all). On the other, it has led to a rise in books where characters make things. So why, you may be asking yourself, am I saying all this when ostensibly I’m supposed to be r ...more
paula
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a Frankenstein story with a happy ending. It's a revenge story without a comeuppance. It's a doll story in which prettier isn't necessarily better.

I HEART PRINCESS SPARKLE-HEART!

And wait - there's something about Josh Schneider's persnickety, precise lines that puts me in mind of old supernerdy comics artists. There's an obsessive satisfaction in the way he carves tiny parallel wavy lines to describe a cocker spaniel's fur, or cramped round crinkles for lace. Reminds me of Matt Howarth of a
Erica
A beloved doll is the victim of a hate crime borne of jealousy. However, this grim tale has a Happily Ever After as the doll is put back together, turned into a better, stronger entity, a doll even I would have loved SO MUCH.

I found the illustrations to be superb, they tell as much of the story as the text.
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Originally published on my blog, Nine Pages.

Seeing the title, I had high expectations of this book, and those expectations were not met. The Barbie-like Princess Sparkle is destroyed by the family dog, and Amelia and her mother set out to repair her and make her better than before. The end result is nearer to Lilo’s Scrump than Barbie, and Amelia declares her better than new, but an opportunity was sorely missed by Schneider. The only mention of transforming the princess into a strong or indepen
Cheryl
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The twist was not a surprise to me. Making the dog the enemy was the surprise. Thank goodness for the epilogue. Good book to spark discussion with your kids, maybe. Would have been a better book if Amelia, not Mom, were the Maker.

Illustrations, ah... I have to honestly say I still have trouble with distorted/ ugly. But they're bright and funny, and apparently some reviewers don't feel creeped by the doll, so ok.
Syntha Green
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
This book is SO funny!!!!! I need to read it at storytime posthaste.
Florian
I love the idea of children making over their dolls. It's unfortunate that toys available for consumption do not match the diversity of the kids who love them in either looks or interests.

However, there are some implications about femininity in Princess Sparkle-Heart that are insidious. The original doll was classically feminine, pink and purple with clearly defined eyelashes and lipstick. The new doll is larger, bulkier, and less traditionally pretty and feminine. The original Sparkle-Heart is
Angelica
Amelia's best friend is Princess Sparkle Heart. They everything together such as having tea parties, going to royal weddings, keeping secrets. Then one day while Amelia was taking a bath Princess Sparkle Heart had an accident. Amelia was so sad but her mother winds up promising to put her back together again. Amelia and her mother work hard to get her together again. In the end Amelia realized just better Princess Sparkle Heart was after she was put togther.

Great for girls or boys

Great for Kinde
Vicki
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
A nice story, but I can't say that I have seen such a hair on a main character before, plus her eyes seem soul less and creepy for a child's book. But the princess lover's probably won't mind.
Michele Knott
A jealous dog goes to town on his nemesis, Princess Sparkle-Heart, a lovely little stuffed princess doll. Mom helps fix Princess Sparkle-Heart, but she gets a few "enhancements". Funny story.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Melissa Mcavoy
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Princess Sparkle-Heart may be an awesome princess doll but she’s no match for a jealous canine. Her owner, a sensible girl named Amelia, puts her back together as good-as-new or perhaps even better with some special, decidedly non-princess touches.

C.D. Gill
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not much story here, but the ending is amusing at least.
Garrett
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time
Geez that doll was terrifying after her make-over.
Katy Benedict
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The girl loved this book even when she was expecting a different result at the end of the story, she could not stop flipping the pages and laughing after reading it.
Lynn
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Our princess-loving readers may be disappointed in the minimum of princess content, but will be tickled pink with the sparkles on the cover!
A grrrrrrrreat example of writing that shows rather than tells as we see the growing jealousy of Amelia’s dog.
The simple, fun illustrations clearly show the fun being had, and the dog’s expressions of dislike of the doll. The white background keeps the focus on the doll, the girl, and the dog, as well as the dog’s speech across each page, “Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Sandra Cappello
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this one! Amelia has a beautiful soft doll named Princess Sparkle-Heart. They do everything together and are the best of friends. One day Amelia's dog tears up Princess Sparkle Heart and Amelia and her mother set out to remake her.

Amelia picks new hair, scraps of fabric and buttons. When she is finished she looks nothing like she did before--more like a rag doll. When Amelia mother says she is "Good as new" the reader is just getting a glimpse at the ugly remade doll. Will Amelia still lik
Amy Rae
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
While I appreciate the celebration of a child's creativity and the message that broken items can (and should!) be fixed instead of simply being replaced, I dislike that the end result is called better than the original. I'm not someone in favour of insisting little girls be forced to conform to pink-princess expectations by any means, but I don't think the solution is to label the original Princess Sparkleheart inferior. That's a move that can be as alienating to children as insisting she's the ...more
Kathy Gunn
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
(2014)
Amelia and her dog are best friends, that is, until Princess Sparkle-Heart comes along. Watch out Princess, there is a jealous canine around!

Themes: Best friends, favorite toy, problem solving, sewing, jealousy, emotions, dolls, humorous, animals

Ideas: Discuss sibling rivalry, taken or destroyed toys. Problem solving Who is there to help you if you have a problem?
Create your own Prince/Princess Sparkle-Heart. Create a doll pattern that can be colored or used to make a doll of fabric. Patt
Jtimko
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Amelia begins to spend more time with her new doll Princess Sparkle-Heart than her dog, trouble ensues. Amelia does everything with the doll until the dog can't take it anymore and he chews the doll to smithereens. Luckily, Mommy is able to fix the doll and make her(the doll) scary enough to frighten the dog.
This enjoyable story is sure to please the story time crowd. The very expressive face of the dog and the vibrant red hair of Amelia are priceless. The growl of the dog as it travels acr
Shelli
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amelia loved her doll Princess Sparkle-Heart more than anything else. The two were inseparable constant friends; much to the dismay of Amelia’s neglected and spiteful dog. A cruel act of brutality in the jaws of the jealous canine leaves Princess Sparkle-Heart in pieces. Can Amelia’s mother stitch the princess and her daughter’s broken heart back together??? Read this AMAZINGLY funny story to find out. LOVED IT! Can’t wait to check out more work of this extremely cleaver children’s book author t ...more
Mary
This is an interesting book for children about friends, toys, and being flexible in the outcome of a situation. When Amelia gets a new best friend in her doll, her dog becomes distressed and sad. He ultimately attacks the doll, and Amelia's mom makes her a new one. This one, though, looks nothing like her princess doll, but Amelia loves it just as much. It's a story about how girls don't always have to play with dolls, and how substitutions can be just as good or better than the original. Howeve ...more
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't think I'd like this book, but it was a great antidote to all of the sickly saccharine pink princessy confections. Amelia loves her dog, but when Princess Sparkle-Heart comes along, the dog takes the backseat. The dog is not happy and shows his unhappiness by chewing Princess Sparkle-Heart to shreds. Amelia's mom comes to the rescue and Amelia and her mom give Princess Sparkle-Heart a surprising makeover - perhaps most surprising for the dog.
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This story begins as a love triangle: girl has dog, girl gets doll, girl ignores dog, and dog reacts. With wonderfully expressive illustrations, Schneider tells a sweet story about a jealous pet with a nice twist. Quite frankly, I felt sorry for the dog and was annoyed that Amelia could so easily ignore her dog; however, the last page relieves all anxiety. Also, young readers will enjoy watching the toy penguin.
Rebecca Honeycutt
Tragedy turns into DIY opportunity for a princess-loving little girl and her mom. YMMV as to the feminist tone of the tale, but it's definitely empowering from a "maker" perspective. The cheery, gently stylized art pops against a white backdrop, and the touches of visual humor reward close reading.

A valuable addition to the "unconventional princess book" genre.
Libby
This one clicked nicely with my kids and I right now, because we are just learning about the perils of dogs and toys in the same room. Princess Sparkle-Heart gets chewed up by the jealous family dog, and has to be reconstructed. The results of her makeover may not be for the faint of heart, but my kids thought the transformation was pretty funny.
Carolyn
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a cute book. A young girl has a princess doll that is her best friend- they have tea parties, Amelia tells her doll secrets, adorable stuff. Until her dog gets jealous and rips up the doll! The artwork was cute and colorful and the illustrations were very entertaining. Overall I thought this was good but nothing amazing.
jacky
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can't remember where I saw a review for this book hinting at the special twist ending. Loved it! Not only is the picture were the Princess Sparkle-Heart's "accident" occurs just awesomely terrible, but the makeover reveal at the end sends a great message about the weight of beauty over other features.
Samantha
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A jealous dog chews a beloved toy to pieces; luckily, it can be fixed and improved in the process.

Funny premise, great storytelling here in that there's plenty of material for kids to make predictions about what might happen before the story's over, and a nice surprise ending for Amelia's pup.

Watercolor, pen and ink illustrations. Great read aloud for PreK-2.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bugs in My Hair!
  • The New Small Person
  • This Is My Dollhouse
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • My Toothbrush Is Missing (The Giggle Gang, #4)
  • Queen Victoria's Bathing Machine