Start by marking “Baby Penguins Love Their Mama!” as Want to Read:
Baby Penguins Love Their Mama!

Baby Penguins Love Their Mama!

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Perfect for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day . . . or any day!

When you're a mama penguin with lots (and lots) of little ones to take care of, the days can melt together in a blur. Monday: swimming lessons. Tuesday: sliding. Wednesday: waddling. And on and on. Mama loves her babies so much. Do they know, she wonders, just how much?

As it turns out, they do--because they love
Published January 2nd 2014 by Philomel Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Penguins Love Their Mama!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Penguins Love Their Mama!

Laura Haske
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The review from my three year old son, "I really love to just read the title of the book and the things inside of it." There you have it.
Ali Book&Seaglasshunter
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it

“Baby Penguins Love Their Momma” by Melissa Guion is an adorable story about a busy mother penguin and her brood of penguin chicks. All week Momma Penguin does her best to keep up with teaching her babies each important skill they will need when they’ve grown up (no one likes preening practice on Thursday’s, but everyone loves squawking in Saturday’s). Momma loves teaching her babies, and she’s proud to watch them learn, but she’s TIRED. So on Sunday she finally takes a break, and discovers that
Emma
Josie x 2
Trish
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, je
This book is about baby penguins.
Aaron Siclovan
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Mama penguin had lots and lots of baby penguins, and she was very busy taking care of her family. Every day of the week, she gave her babies a different lesson so that they would learn to act and do what penguins do. There were no lessons on Sunday because after the week mama penguin was exhausted, taking a nap. She was very proud of her babies, and she taught them well. She taught them to swim, slide, waddle, quack, and fish. She told her babies that soon they will learn the penguin skills and ...more
Sandy
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, christian, won
Mama penguin loves her babies. Every day she does something with them for one day, they will no longer be babies and they will have to care for themselves. It is exhausting work but mama loves her babies and at the end of the week, mama takes a well-deserved nap. One of her babies asks her what would happen if after all her work they become a better penguin than her. Mama considers this question as her babies climb all over her. Mama has no answer as her babies surround her, giving her a big sur ...more
Heidi
Is there ever any way to fully thank our mothers for all they do? The good ones anyway! This book beautifully celebrates all that mothers do to help their children reach their full potential. Mama penguin has many babies and she spends her week training them to swim, slide, waddle, preen, fish, and squawk followed by a weekend to recover. A sweet discussion at the end of the week reminds us all that mothering is a job that never ends yet has the sweetest of rewards. A perfect book to share for M ...more
Milka
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
In Baby Penguins Love Their Mama, Mama Penguin has started educating her little penguins with different activities every day, which include swimming lessons, sliding lessons, and waddling lessons. Oh yeah, and let’s not forget the squawking lessons. Have mercy... By the time Sunday arrives, Mama Penguin needs a nap. I wonder how long her little ones let her sleep but probably long enough because she looks refreshed after that. And then Mama Penguin asks her penguins what she’d become once they w ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
We selected Baby Penguins Love Their Mama! for the "Book about penguins" category. I found several penguin books at the library, but Christopher chose this one because the baby penguins were so cute.

This book is one that I could see older children buying for their mothers - high school graduation gift perhaps. It's about how the mama penguin spends all her time teaching the babies what they need to know. She worries that they won't need her once they've learned everything, but they assure her sh
Kylee Myers
This is book about a mother penguin who takes care of her babies and teaches them everything they need to survive when they grow up. These baby penguins love their mama. Not only do learn from their mama, but they love their mama. She will always be their mama.

This book can be used for expanding a student’s vocabulary. There are several words in this book that students will not know the meaning of, for example, waddle, preen, and squawk. Students can learn to use context clues in the book to di
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I love Guion's illustrations, especially in her last book when we meet all the baby penguins (squee!), but I appreciate the pictures more than the text. I tried out her last book w/ my storytime group and they enjoy the pictures, but didn't seem to really understand the story. This one does have some vocabulary we could discuss, like preening. But still, her illustrations are the best part.
Jennifer Heise
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekman
Adorable story of a Penguin mama (actually the previous book says she adopted these baby penguins, thus accounting for there being so many) who teaches her babies everything they need to know even when it wears her out. A heartwarming ending and fuzzy-love-warm illustrations. For all mama-lovers, penguin lovers, and connoisseurs of the cute. My five year old boy liked it a lot.
Inara
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
From Inara's Mom: This is a cutesy story with very little plot that biologically inaccurate. Penguins parent as pairs or, in the case of Emperor Penguins, the males parent exclusively. They generally have one to two babies, not 22. Inara likes to learn about the animals in the stories we read, so this lack of accuracy did not work for her.
Margie
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hold on to your top hats! Melissa Guion has written and illustrated another title filled with this wonderful Mama and her babies. Baby Penguins Love Their Mama! (Philomel Books) follows these lively birds during their learning of penguin-ish antics.

My full review: http://bit.ly/O9RMDb
Miss Sarah
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A perfect toddler and up book about penguins and their activities. It goes day by day through the week and the things their mama teaches them each day. I could see my toddlers doing these activities.
Mary
This is a short and simple book about a mother penguin who teaches her babies all they need to know about the world. The illustrations are similar to those of Oliver Jeffers and the story is sweet. Good for Mother's Day or celebrating moms in general.
Sandra Guerfi
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mothers work hard to take care of their little ones and teach them to waddle, swim, eat and more. So when babies have learned all they can will they still need their mother? Cute little story about what makes moms so special.
Rachel
Feb 05, 2014 added it
Shelves: penguins, birds, mothers
Great story time book. Mama penguin teaches her babies all the important behaviors of penguins (slide, squawk, fishing, preening, waddling, swim)
Allison
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Stefanie Kellum
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love baby penguins and their mamas. Such a sweet one and it's perfect for Mothers' Day.
Steph
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
It's definitely more for three and four-year-olds than the kindergarten & first grade crowd I was hoping to impress.
Mary
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Cutesy penguin book. Pictures are cute, but there's not much story.
Casandria
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even Mama Penguin has a lot to do!
Holly Mueller
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Aw! Such a sweet book about the love a mother has for her children. Even when they grow up, you'll never stop being a mom! Guion's penguin illustrations are so cute!
Marcie
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: babies, preschool
Cute, but I didn't love this as much as Sheila Yoon's Penguin books, particularly Penguin and Pinecone.
Jen
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
heart warming follow up to Baby Penguins Everywhere. But this book def. stands alone. Joyous watercolor illustrations accompany a great story for a penguin time or for a Mother's day theme.
Julie
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first one, but still lovely. (And who can resist a book about loving mamas?)
Jill
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Super cute book about a relationship between a mom and her babies.
Justin Bloch
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If anything, we liked this sequel even more than the original! Such an adorable little book, and we love all of those mischievous little penguins!
Librariansteph
Cozy book for mothers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • I Am Small
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Penguin in Love (Penguin)
  • Baby Bear
  • Peggy
  • Who Goes There?
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • Moo!
Melissa Guion lives in Brooklyn, NY. Her debut picture book Baby Penguins Everywhere! (Philomel Books) was selected by the Society of Illustrators for The Original Art 2012, an exhibition of the year's best children's book illustration.

Melissa also writes for Tom Tom, the world's only magazine dedicated to female drummers.