Start by marking “The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students” as Want to Read:
The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students

The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students

“If you are a teacher, or an educator, or involved in school administration and curriculum development, the book you hold in your hands has the potential to transform your life, the lives of your students, and the life of the school itself, as well as education in America.”—Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, from the Foreword

With attention spans waning and stress on the rise, many teach
Published June 8th 2014 by W. W. Norton Company (first published March 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Mindful Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of Mindful Education

Simon
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific book! One of the many good things about it is that it does not try to sell mindfulness as some modern-day form of cure-all elixir. Instead we learn about mindfulness from a qualified practitioner who gives sage advice about dealing with children of all ages and descriptions. The author has taken care to address the often neglected areas (in mindfulness texts) of diversity and trauma. Highly recommended!
Skylar Primm
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book. My opinion is no doubt colored by having read it in an online book study group, which included a webinar with the author and copious forum discussions. That said, who could possibly argue with the premise of the subtitle, “Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students”? And that's really what it's all about.

Regular mindfulness practice has transformed my personal life over the past few years, and now I am excited to bring it into my professional life. We teachers hav
Eric Durant
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the earlier parts of this book, which have many ramifications for teachers in being aware of our students and responsive to them. The later parts became repetitive, but would be of use for someone wanting to try a variety of exercises in a classroom. Our faculty/staff book is discussing this next month; I think it will stimulate good conversation.
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The brain research to support mindfulness and mindfulness in education is strong and this book makes a great case to support using it in the classroom. Can’t wait to enhance my own classroom practice with my students this year with some new treasures found in this book!
Melissa
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great introductory experience of the various modes of mindfulness in an education setting: for teachers as self-care and as delivery to students. Information is succinctly summarized yet feels complete.
Aaron Curmi
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent read for any educator (in any category of education, really) who seeks a new approach to their craft. The author does a wonderful job of presenting mindfulness techniques as not being some lofty, abstract set of concepts and practices, but rather accessible and practical methods which may be adapted to nearly any setting. The focus is threefold: The teacher, the students, and the atmosphere.
By taking this approach, the practice becomes holistic and permeates every aspect of the lif
Kathy
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is clear, concise, and particularly useful if you are just starting out introducing mindful education in schools. Rechtschaffen makes suggestions for different activities to do with differen-aged children, mentions potential pitfalls and how to avoid them, and has a great sense of humor throughout. The activities work with students.
Tanya
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been cultivating an interest in and appreciation for mindfulness in the past few years. This book was an exciting and timely piece to read, and I think there are some very adaptable things here. I was hoping for more thoughts on how to integrate mindfulness practice into my specific classroom of history studies, but even without that, there's much value here.
Katrina Dreamer
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I enjoyed the author's musings about mindfulness and his experience teaching it in schools. The curriculum is a great complement to my training from Mindful Schools. I especially appreciate how he talks about how to level the exercises based on grade level. I also like his discussion on trauma and how important it is to have an awareness and understanding of trauma when teaching mindfulness.
Mrs. Kristen
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm inspired. :)
Kim
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Appreciate the plethora of sequenced lesson ideas. Also appreciate the emphasis on teacher journey through mindfulness as foundation to then be able to guide students.
Dean Kephart
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book. This is a book that is to be done not read. You have to commit to doing the work to fully take advantage of the content.
Liz Volpe
Aug 06, 2015
Cynthia
Jun 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Still Quiet Place: A Mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions
  • Little Flower Yoga for Kids: A Yoga and Mindfulness Program to Help Your Child Improve Attention and Emotional Balance
  • Teach, Breathe, Learn: Mindfulness in and out of the Classroom
  • Wounded by School: Recapturing the Joy in Learning and Standing Up to Old School Culture
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning on the Tuned-Out Child
  • Mindful Teaching and Teaching Mindfulness: A Guide for Anyone Who Teaches Anything
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Black Ants and Buddhists: Thinking Critically and Teaching Differently in the Primary Grades
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children
  • Teaching with Your Mouth Shut
  • Everybody Present: Mindfulness in Education
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • A Mindful Nation: How a Simple Practice Can Help Us Reduce Stress, Improve Performance, and Recapture the American Spirit
  • Unschooling Rules: 55 Ways to Unlearn What We Know about Schools and Rediscover Education