Start by marking “The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students” as Want to Read:
The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students

The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students

“If you are a teacher, or an educator, or involved in school administration and curriculum development, the book you hold in your hands has the potential to transform your life, the lives of your students, and the life of the school itself, as well as education in America.”—Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, from the Foreword

With attention spans waning and stress on the rise, many teach
Published June 8th 2014 by W. W. Norton Company (first published March 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Mindful Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of Mindful Education

Start your review of The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students
Simon
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific book! One of the many good things about it is that it does not try to sell mindfulness as some modern-day form of cure-all elixir. Instead we learn about mindfulness from a qualified practitioner who gives sage advice about dealing with children of all ages and descriptions. The author has taken care to address the often neglected areas (in mindfulness texts) of diversity and trauma. Highly recommended!
Kathy
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Some good ideas, but could have been an essay rather than an entire book.
Skylar Primm
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book. My opinion is no doubt colored by having read it in an online book study group, which included a webinar with the author and copious forum discussions. That said, who could possibly argue with the premise of the subtitle, “Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students”? And that's really what it's all about.

Regular mindfulness practice has transformed my personal life over the past few years, and now I am excited to bring it into my professional life. We teachers hav
Ernest Solar
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students by Daniel Rechtschaffen is one of the best books I have read on the subject. I wholeheartedly agree with Rechtschaffen that the best way to bring mindfulness into the classroom and schools is through the teachers.

By educating teachers in the importance of mindfulness, stress reduction, and self-care will lessen the burnout educators experience, create a healthier classroom environment, and promote the type of social-e
Eric Durant
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the earlier parts of this book, which have many ramifications for teachers in being aware of our students and responsive to them. The later parts became repetitive, but would be of use for someone wanting to try a variety of exercises in a classroom. Our faculty/staff book is discussing this next month; I think it will stimulate good conversation.
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The brain research to support mindfulness and mindfulness in education is strong and this book makes a great case to support using it in the classroom. Can’t wait to enhance my own classroom practice with my students this year with some new treasures found in this book!
Melissa
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great introductory experience of the various modes of mindfulness in an education setting: for teachers as self-care and as delivery to students. Information is succinctly summarized yet feels complete.
Jesse Bray
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A practical and engaging study. From the yoga studio to the classroom this educational handbook is a brilliant definition of the teacher-mentor relationship.
Alex
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Complements Mindful Schools very well! I enjoyed the shout out to Challenge Day too :)
Aaron Curmi
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent read for any educator (in any category of education, really) who seeks a new approach to their craft. The author does a wonderful job of presenting mindfulness techniques as not being some lofty, abstract set of concepts and practices, but rather accessible and practical methods which may be adapted to nearly any setting. The focus is threefold: The teacher, the students, and the atmosphere.
By taking this approach, the practice becomes holistic and permeates every aspect of the lif
Kathy
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is clear, concise, and particularly useful if you are just starting out introducing mindful education in schools. Rechtschaffen makes suggestions for different activities to do with differen-aged children, mentions potential pitfalls and how to avoid them, and has a great sense of humor throughout. The activities work with students.
Tanya
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been cultivating an interest in and appreciation for mindfulness in the past few years. This book was an exciting and timely piece to read, and I think there are some very adaptable things here. I was hoping for more thoughts on how to integrate mindfulness practice into my specific classroom of history studies, but even without that, there's much value here.
Katrina Dreamer
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I enjoyed the author's musings about mindfulness and his experience teaching it in schools. The curriculum is a great complement to my training from Mindful Schools. I especially appreciate how he talks about how to level the exercises based on grade level. I also like his discussion on trauma and how important it is to have an awareness and understanding of trauma when teaching mindfulness.
Mrs. Kristen
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm inspired. :)
Kim
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Appreciate the plethora of sequenced lesson ideas. Also appreciate the emphasis on teacher journey through mindfulness as foundation to then be able to guide students.
Dean Kephart
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book. This is a book that is to be done not read. You have to commit to doing the work to fully take advantage of the content.
Liz Volpe
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Clap When You Land
  • Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
  • The Tracker
  • The Empire of Gold (The Daevabad Trilogy, #3)
  • The Magician's Apprentice (Black Magician, #0.5)
  • The Family Gift
  • Educating Ruby: What our children really need to learn
  • Out of My Mind
  • Mindfulness for Teachers: Simple Skills for Peace and Productivity in the Classroom
  • Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill
  • Independent People
  • White Bird
  • Change Your World: The Science of Resilience and the True Path to Success
  • Wizard of the Crow
  • Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
  • The Water Knife
  • Financial Intelligence: A Manager's Guide to Knowing What the Numbers Really Mean