Start by marking “A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries #1)

A Good Man Gone

(Mercy Watts Mysteries #1)

It’s summer in St. Louis and Mercy Watts is on vacation from her parents. The great detective and his nosy wife are on a cruise and Mercy thinks she’s off the hook for doing any investigating for them. But when a family friend has a fatal heart attack, Dad has one of his famous feelings and orders Mercy to look into it. Mercy tries not to get sucked in. She really does, bu ...more
Published May 26th 2013

To ask other readers questions about A Good Man Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Man Gone

Start your review of A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries #1)
Teresa Rosenberg
May 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I thought the mystery plot-line of this book was actually pretty good. The story was set up in a plausible (or at least, consistent within its own universe) kind of way and unfolded at a fairly even pace.

This book was free, so I should not be surprised by the errors that I found (cue when she meant queue, for just one example--I didn't keep track as I was reading). In fact, there were fewer of this type of mistakes in this book by far than in your average free book, although still enough for me
Bill Thibadeau
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I used to want a fun and quick read with interesting characters, I used to reach for Janet Evanovich (please - no snickers). However, those books became too predictable and lost their appeal. But now, I have the Mercy Watts series to go to.

Mercy does not take herself seriously and is entertaining. The author has created a character that understands her physical wiles and is not beyond using them. While this story may not be high brow or thought provoking, it is enjoyable. A fast pace entert
Quenya
This is weird because I didn’t like any of the characters but I enjoyed the story. Not sure how that works. Mercy Watts is not a likable person and then we you meet her parents you realize they raised her that way. Mercy spends the entire book doing whatever her family asks her to do and using her looks to get what she wants from other people. She treats and judges people by their looks at the same time she is lamenting about people judging her for her looks.

The mystery is great though and the
Books Mom
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Thoroughly enjoyable, this cozy mystery will keep you guessing and chuckling all the way to the end. Ms. Hartoin has a way with words that plunges you into the story and makes you feel as if you know each and every character, no matter how small.

Mercy, our heroine, is a nurse and the daughter of a detective. She also has friends and family in the police department, but really doesn't love investigating much of anything despite her father continually tossing cases her way.

When a family friend d
Coco.V
Oct 16, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (10/16/2017)!
Andrea
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mercy Watts is a sassy nurse, who just happens to look exactly like Marilyn Monroe, and often ends up working as a detective under her father's orders. She really just needs to admit to herself that she loves to play detective, instead of constantly denying it. You can tell that she gets a thrill out of her sleuthing.

Her parents are away on vacation, so she thinks that she can get a break from playing detective, until a family friend drops dead of a supposed myocardial infarction (a.k.a. heart a
D
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Finally A.W Hartoin has done a full length Mercy Watts story and a thoroughly enjoyable one it is! It is a nice mystery, combined with humor and loveable characters. I can't wait until the next one.
Meg
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quick read, good mystery and some giggles.
Kathy
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed this mystery, I did not think it ranks up with some of the best I have ever read. In the story, Mercy Watts, a sassy nurse, takes over for her father, a retired police detective turned private investigator, who is initially away on a cruise and returns home mid-way through with a nasty virus that keeps him from working. Mercy learns the husband of a close family friend has died of a heart attack. Initially, mercy’s father is reluctant to believe the man died from a simple hear ...more
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Tracey
Nov 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Okay. Yes. I get it. The main character looks like Marilyn. I don’t need to be reminded of it on every page. Really. Thank you.

That whole thing alone would keep me from reading another book in the series. I’m sure being stunningly gorgeous has its drawbacks. My heart bleeds, really it does. Please, tell me again how you and your mother literally stop traffic.

On the whole, this wasn’t a bad story. I liked the basic storyline, of the investigation into the death of a friend of the family. At lea
Andrea Guy
Don't judge this book by its cover. This is a fabulous mystery and Mercy Watts is the kind of heroine you have to love. She's a sexier, smarter version of Stephanie Plum. (And well, her cars don't get blown up)

Her dad's a former cop and a PI and she is a nurse/assistant that's dating a doctor.

For a reasonably short novel (a little over 200 pages) the mystery is pretty complex. In fact, there are two murders to be solved, a bride killed on her wedding day and Gavin, the family friend whose seemi
Jan
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
When a long time family friend dies unexpectedly people become suspicious that the reported cause of death Mercy is asked to help investigate.

I like the way this author creates characters. They seem to be real people and not stereotypes. I found it easy to connect with the majority of the characters and I got a sense of who they were.

There were many surprises in the book but one incident was too predictable. But even this one particular event did have surprising outcome.

I enjoyed the book and c
Rbucci
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun book to read. Quick.
Diane Sunde
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
omg - too much Marilyn - is she even relevant today? And all the food references - gross. The basic who-dunit-storyline was good though; it's the only reason I gave it two stars. Definitely will not read the rest of the series. It was a chore to get to the end of this one.
David Ketelsen
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book via the Members Giveaway on Library Thing.

The title of A Good Man Gone refers to Gavin Flouder, a family friend of the Watts family and a business associate of patriarch and former police detective Tommy Watts. Gavin dies of an apparent MI and on a hunch of Tommy's, his daughter Mercy, a dead ringer for Marilyn Monroe, investigates the death---and soon it's ruled a homicide.

This chick-lit mystery by Anne W Hartoin is fast paced and thoroughly enjoyable. The family members an
MissMonky
Jun 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
This heroine is so bad

The main character of this book is a Marilyn Monroe look-alike named Mercy. From the beginning of the book I felt like I was missing something. Making her a Marilyn look-like did absolutely nothing for the story. All it did was add an element of complete unbelievability and made her seem shallow and self absorbed. She is very focused on her weight and the character of her Aunt is confusing. Is she there to show that Mercy can like people despite them being overweight or is
Robyn
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun mystery that is entertaining enough to make me want to read more. The character reminds me a bit of Stephanie Plum in the earliest stories. Some of the details are parceled out slowly throughout the story, which I find a good technique that keeps me turning the page. I am assuming we will learn more about the secondary characters in future installments, or perhaps the author has shared these details in previous stories. The actual mystery is secondary to character development, and I was mo ...more
Mai Habeeb
Jun 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Stopped reading after a few chapters. The main character's Marilyn-ness is too darn much. I GET it. She is an exact copy of Marilyn Monroe. There's no need for it to be repeated every other paragraph. And the way she keeps talking about her perfect self and how men are suckers for it, and how she pulls out what she calls the "big guns" on them (which works AMAZINGLY, by the way) was seriously irritating. Was I even reading a mystery book??

Hated it.
Ruth Ferguson
Pleasant read, the Marilyn Monroe theme was tiresome and you will figure out the killer half way through the story. But the dude characters are interesting and you enjoy getting to know these folks as this is a series so the foundation is set.
Teena
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Definitely enjoyed the book. A little much about her Marilyn looks, but overall entertaining mystery and crime novel. Would likely read another one
Elizabeth
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it,once I stastarted reading it I couldn't put it down at all. So I'm look forward to getting the next book.
Kristen
Feb 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Inappropriate dialog in chapter one. I don't care about her chest size or what construction workers think about it. Just seemed out of place for a mystery, so after a few pages I was done.
Pippa P.
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery
Mercy Watts is a reluctant detective. She is a smart, young, good-looking, pampered, hard-working nurse whose her father is an ex-policeman who now runs a private detective agency. As such, any work that he feels that she could do more effectively than him or his operatives, falls to her. Her mother, being the stunning socialite belle, tries to keep her on an ordered, even path.

The story begins with Mercy, having finished a double shift at the hospital, falling asleep in her parents’ bed while t
Shirani
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly Enjoyable

When a family friend dies mysteriously, Mercy has no choice but take on the task of helping Dixie his grieving widow arrange the funeral and also snoop around to find out why Gavin died. Mercy a nurse, and daughter of a PI who sometimes helps in her father's cases, doesn’t want to get involved, but her parents are on a cruise. Besides Gavin was like family and she feels she owes it to both him and Dixie. She takes on the job but as she begins her investigation she uncovers
Katie Brock
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
The mystery surrounding this novel is pretty good- as there's two, but I was distracted by how annoying the main character was. Every chapter there would be a mention of her looking like Marilyn Monroe or her boobs and then she gets her photo put out on the Internet and starts getting stalked by paparazzi and crude phone calls.

She's a nurse come P.I and I really don't think that made any difference to the story.

It just made the character seem nothing apart from her appearance which didn't reall
June
May 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received this as a free book from Amazon years ago. The concept sounded great but the execution was lacking. I am not a fan of this story at all.

The first book in a series is usually the setup for a series. This is where you learn more about the detective. And this is no different. I learned quite a deal about Mercy Watts. I was constantly reminded that she looks like Marilyn Monroe to the point of ad nauseum. In fact I wondered if there would be a chapter when this comparison would not be ma
Mjuneb
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Things Parent do to Their Kids

Mercy was called this by a father who begged for mercy after 12 hours of a crying newborn. She is a nurse, but works for her dad, an ex-cop turned PI, at times. When a close friend, another PI, is murdered and her parents are on a cruise, they expect her to comfort the widow and to look into what lead to his death.
Working against an adopted cousin on the force and confusing clues, she must, also, deal with sudden notoriety on U-tube because of her resemblance t
Mary Barna
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the Mercy Watts series. I purchased it awhile ago and found it on my Nook, when I finally got the Nook working again. I was pleasantly surprised. Mercy is a nurse with PI parents. While they are off on a cruise, a family friend is murdered. Mercy picks up the reins and begins the investigation.

Mercy and her Mom both resemble Marilyn Monroe, which leads to complications involving old men, Youtube and stalkers. While the characters and plot are somewhat reminiscent of Janet Ev
Marietta Slater
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
While this isn't my favorite series, I will give a thumbs up to the author for being creative. Having Mercy Watts be a Marilyn Monroe look-a-like makes for a fun read. I'm not a MM fan; however, it did add to Mercy's character. And kudos to the author for setting up the next story in this book.
Mercy lives in St. Louis, close to her parents. Her dad is a well known PI. Unfortunately, he has taken ill while on a cruise. His close friend has been murdered and now it's up to Mercy to find how how a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Cliffs of Laguna Beach (Ryan-Hunter series)
  • Inn Over Her Head (Dusky Cove B&B Cozy Mysteries Book 1)
  • Stiff in the Sand (Cape Hope Mysteries #1)
  • No Limit (Nadia Wolf #1)
  • Promotions & Poisons (Presley Thurman Cozy Mystery #0.5)
  • Humpty Bumpkin (Country Cousin #1)
  • Peril in Pensacola (Accidentally Undercover #1)
  • Scarlet Oaks and the Serial Caller (Scarlets Oaks Book 1)
  • A Knead to Kill (Apple Orchard Cozy #1.5)
  • Mercy & Mayhem (Mercy Mares Cozy Mystery #1)
  • A New Prospect: A Sam Jenkins Mystery
  • Coffee and Crime (Cup of Jo Book 0)
  • Who Hates Marigold Flowers? (A Cornwall & Company Mystery Book 1)
  • Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #1)
  • Death Visits the Hair Salon (The Mysteries of Marion #1)
  • Love and Murder in Savannah (The Southern Sleuth #1)
  • Risky Relics (Rose Hollow Mysteries Book 1)
  • Murder By Design: ...a young girl dreams of topping haute couture!
A.W.Hartoin is the author of Middle Grade and Young Adult fiction. Away From Whipplethorn is her first published work. A.W. can't remember a time when she didn't love reading. The first book she read over and over again was Harry and the Lady Next Door. He was such a bad dog. Anne of Green Gables was the first time she wanted to enter a world and stay there. As an adult she read almost everything ...more

Mercy Watts Mysteries (10 books)
  • Diver Down (Mercy Watts Mysteries #2)
  • Double Black Diamond (Mercy Watts Mysteries #3)
  • Drop Dead Red (Mercy Watts Mysteries #4)
  • In the Worst Way (Mercy Watts Mysteries #5)
  • The Wife of Riley (Mercy Watts Mysteries #6)
  • My Bad Grandad (Mercy Watts Mysteries #7)
  • Brain Trust (Mercy Watts Mysteries #8)
  • Down and Dirty (Mercy Watts Mysteries Book 9)
  • Small Time Crime (Mercy Watts Mysteries #10)

News & Interviews