Start by marking “The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation” as Want to Read:
The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation

The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation

"We often tend to treat process like a mini-bureaucracy with dull and painful rules that cannot be broken. Tobias reminds us that it's the principles of scrum and not the rules that make it actually work. He comes at scrum from the angle of a case worker, navigating people through sometimes hostile systems and exploiting loopholes to obtain vital services. In this case, th ...more
Published May 13th 2013 by Dymaxicon (first published May 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The People's Scrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People's Scrum

Start your review of The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation
Tobias Mayer
This is a collection of essays on the human aspects of Scrum—a software framework/process. I'm the author of this book, so will refrain from rating. Naturally, I recommend it :)
Pedro Almeida
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who still believe scrum is just a framework and use it as silver bullet solution, please don’t read the book. You will not understand a single paragraph.
This explain how scrum a simple and evolutionary framework to solve complex problems as we humans are, complex beings.
Tony Richards
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having just spent a couple of days in the company of Tobias re-reading this book has reminded me of our discussions. Everything he wrote in these blog entries is as true for him today as they were when originally committed to paper.
Ripham
A lot of disagreements. Too “religious” for me. And too much “break everything” without showing you’re working in a porcelain tableware shop.
Peter
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book touches the real heart of scrum and the values that lie beneath the surface of the framework. The truth that lies within that essays are things one felt when beginning the road to an agile implementation. It shows merciless some uncomfortable truths, which perhaps you did not realize yet. At the end you'll see where your path has lost the connection to the values and where the concentration back on the soul of scrum is needed.
Edward Dahllöf
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile
I had higher expectations of this book, it's a collection of Mr Mayers blog post from the last decade, some of it is interesting and so, but I thought a book with the name "The Peoples Scrum" would be more thoroughly worked through
Olli Sorje
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading ideas of Tobias. This book really shakes you to think what agile and Scrum is all about. Must read for anyone working with any agile methods.
Flavius
Not my type of book. I abandoned it halfway through because it read suspiciously like a moralistic sermon.
Mya
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
This book is amazing!

Wonderful thoughts in the form of essays that really challenge. This is the kind of book you can read end-to-end (but slowly - you need to pause and reflect after most of the essays) and then dip into frequently as you learn and grow. Lyssa Adkins described its impact really well in her Afterword: "Tobias... [will] pick up a stone and throw it through our glass house, smashing our old paradigms and causing us... to say,"...Now what?".
Nicolas Leroy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there’s anything to like about this book it is the fact that it makes you think. It talks more about the scrum values and how to implement scrum using them, than about the framework itself.
I was amazed at the fact that a lot of ideas I already thought about in my head were also discussed here.
Anyway, one of my favourite scrum books!
Bart Decaigny
It's a collection of (old) blog posts. Some are outdated, some are useless, some are pretty interesting. Worth reading if you want some opinion pieces about scrum... But somewhere, I had expected more from it.
Oh, and with opinion pieces I mean: if you look for anything practical, look further.
Peter
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’re in a business that likes to throw around agile or even Agile, you need to read this book. Afterwards, you will think the author’s either an anarchistic crackpot that’s a danger to the corporate world, or you’ll think he’s an enlightened genius.
Mark Powell
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glorious!

This work is a treasure trove of insights, challenges, and truths, from a truly unique perspective among authors who write about scrum and agile development.
Tudor Ștefănescu
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
a humanistic view on project management/scrum. Interesting and full of ideas that deserve to be defended and championed against the prevailing corporate status quo.
Carla Groom
Thought-provoking, readable and I'm so glad this was one of my early agile readings instead of the corporate nonsense.
Natalia
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
100% worth reading.
Zoltán Dósa
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about inspiration. It will not teach you methodologies, or techniques, but will show you the Face of Scrum.
Ben Linders
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation by Tobias Mayer is a collection of essays based on material written by him between 2005 and 2012.

The essays describe agile ideas and practices, examples of the topics covered are self-organizing, team working, craftsmanship, technical debt, estimation, retrospectives, culture and Scrum adoption.

I did an interview with Tobias Mayer for InfoQ about the importance of people, teams and self organization with Scrum and about AgileLi
Craig
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is beautifully written. There is real craftmanship in the prose here.

The book is made up of independent self contained stories and reflections on various themes related to the Agile Software Development movement. Each one is a parable seeking to impart some of Tobias' wisdom onto the reader.

Hopefully people will be open to the ideas. It isn't for beginners or for people who think agility is about technical excellence alone. It is about values and mindsets and the way we choose
Sebastian Gebski
Jun 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't like it, sadly.

It's not a typical book - more like a collection of blog posts / short articles. Believe me, it's not the easiest way to write a good book - each post has to be able to "defend itself": be good enough to justify its presence in the book. It may work for Umberto Eco, but Mayer's articles are ... boring and not really revealing.

Was there anything I liked about this book?

Sure, Weinberg's quote (first rule of bad management) - "If something isn’t working, do more of it.”. And
Christophe Addinquy
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile
I discover Tobias through his Tumblr blog many years ago. His posts regularly turn my head upside down. I bough the book on day 1. It doesn't look great at first, because it's a slim format and the content is no more than a compilation of his blog posts slightly arranged. It would be easy to overlook this book. It would be a big, big mistake.
This book is about Scrum and not about Scrum at the same time. It's about agile culture, being agile in our bones. It's about looking at Scrum not as a proc
Radu Davidescu
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tobias presents Scrum in his way: plain, straight and emotional! If you want to read a bollocks free, sometimes uncomfortable book about Scrum, this is the book.

The book is excellent for both newcomers and experienced Scrum practitioners. It's a presentation of concepts and, in the same time an open debate with Scrum world.
Being and essay book, it can be read in Scrum style in short time-box cycles, with personal retrospective after each essay. I encourage you to read it this way.
The value added
Henrik Berglund Berglund
Reading some previous reviews I was hoping to be provoked by this book, but to my surprise I was not. It seems we have similar views on what matters when it comes to workplaces and the future of work.

Five stars is since I'm glad he wrote it! I do not know of any "agile book" that gets right to the essence like this.

Naturally then, for me this is the best Scrum book so far.
Diogo Freire
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile-stuff
Tobias' book is a great reference for questioning a few of your own beliefs and gain some perspective on how to "think agile". The prescriptive approach taken by so many is tiring, and this book helped me open my mind to being wrong, being adaptive, being comfortable when faced with uncertainty and, most of all, to just listen.
Juanma
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile
In only two simple words: inspiring and encouraging. This collection of articles and essays from Tobias will help you to continue in the fight for "agility" (my personal case) or to start your discovery of what scrum (and agile as a consequence) truly means.
Diego
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good enough. The author is bright and convincing. It is a collection of blog posts however, so the quality of the different articles varies significantly. Recommended reading.
Dave
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Instead I want to approach my work with an open heart, a beginner's mind and an anarchist's soul.
Pirkka
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
A collection of blog posts - but they are top notch! If you have read Tobias Mayers blog, this might not be such a great book, but for me the material was all new and very exciting.
Sergey Lobin
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book for true agile punks :-)

• Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Scrum Mastery: From Good To Great Servant-Leadership
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Who Ate My Cheese?: The Road to Freedom
  • KAIZEN: Mejora Continua: CADA DIA UN 1% MEJOR. SUPERPRODUCTIVIDAD

News & Interviews

“Doing scrum” is as meaningless (and impossible) as creating an instance of an abstract class. Scrum is a framework for surfacing organizational dysfunction. It is not a process and it is not prescriptive.” 1 likes
“Another way of looking at it might be to say that scrum doesn’t actually do anything; people do things.” 1 likes