Start by marking “Dogs in Space” as Want to Read:
Dogs in Space

Dogs in Space

Visit each of the planets with a zany pack of dogs as they launch the wildest tour of the Solar System ever. Whether playing hide-and-seek among Saturn's moons or spinning sideways on Uranus, these dogs have fun. Along the way the dogs (and readers) learn basic facts about the planets and how to identify each one.
Published March 1st 1993 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P

To ask other readers questions about Dogs in Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogs in Space

Start your review of Dogs in Space
ke-sha
Dec 30, 2017 added it
Shelves: books-i-own
This I love. Teaches kids the plants (Yes Pluto is still a planet in this book due to how old it is but I still believe that what they did to Pluto was messed up anyway #TeamPluto Lol) and has some good basic info with an adorable story.
Darinda
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A group of dogs travel through space. Fun and whimsical. It's dated, but still enjoyable.
Vang Xiong
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This text is about a group of dogs, visiting outer space. I personally like this book because of the imaginary. The illustrations capture the text in a way that makes it engaging and fun to read. For example, the use of vibrant colors is inviting, and the touch of chalk-based material that is used to outline the dogs works well in contrasting the elements that are around them, such as planets, moon, etc. , making them, the center of attention. I also think it was brilliant that the color black ...more
Mama Bibliosoph
In Dogs in Space, neon-colored, pastel-drawn dogs wear cartoonish space suits and glide through our planetary system against a spare and starry black background, trying out different planets as hangouts.

Dogs in space like space because "there are no cats in space" and "there are no fleas in space." Ultimately, though, they realize there are no warm laps or dog bones to be had, and they journey home to Earth.

The dogs visit the planets in order from the Sun, starting with Mercury. A fact about
Briony
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This book places a fun and whimsical twist on learning about space. It would be a great addition to any elementary school level classroom library, especially because it has facts about space and these types of books are usually limited. Reading this took me on a journey through space and I learned a lot about the planets! Looking at the cover of this book I was not expecting much. It seemed dark and cheap looking but the contents were pleasantly surprising. I also really enjoyed how, at the very ...more
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, space
My son absolutely loves this book, and I can see why: he likes space and it’s one of the rare playful books on the subject. My problem is having to read the highly repetitive text aloud every day. It does a good job of conveying a fact about every planet in memorably silly ways (the dogs sneeze red dust on Mars, spin sideways on Uranus, wear sweaters on Neptune), but I definitely do a lot of on-the-fly rewording.
David Morales
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very cute, short read-aloud that kids can enjoy and it's great for calming kids down from recess or for introducing a topic to a class subtly or explicitly.
Autumn
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
We picked this book up from our local library.

Cute book, the pictures go great with the story being told. Even though they do look like they were drawn with a crayon. It does rhyme which is cool if you like to rhyme. You get to follow the dogs as they visit each planet and you learn which ones are hot, cold, dusty and what not. It kept K entertained because he does like to read about planets. I really enjoyed The Solar System Tour at the end of the book which gives you information about the
Meg McGregor
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Again, this was another book that I really wanted to like more than I did.

The information is great. It is just the illustrations are not that good at all.

Now, I can't draw and I admire the people who can. I just think more whimsical and realistic drawings of dogs would add to the fun of this book.

This is not one I will pick up again any time soon.
Katie
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A trippy crayon tour of the solar system that I badly wanted to like, this creative attempt to combine science (via an appendix of planetary facts) and fantasy (dogs in helmets and jet packs "shed hair in zero gravity"!) is weird at best, confusing at worst. Plus, without an updated edition: Houston, we have a Pluto problem.
Amanda Walz
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a cute fantasy book to read to children learning about space and planets. The dogs fly through space and visit each planet in order from the sun. It's a funny idea, dogs in space, and it has rich colors on a black background.
Ayoca
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book can be used for k-4 to teach about the Solar System. Can be used to teach about all different types of dogs that went to the different planets in space. All the dogs explained how the planets were after visiting them.
Katie
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I would like to use this for an outer space storytime, but its a bit dated now.
Jenni
May 01, 2016
Dana
Aug 26, 2008
Tiffany
rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2014
Dec 16, 2015
Catherine Joy
Nov 25, 2018

• Once Upon a Star: A Poetic Journey Through Space
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Méndez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • A Picture Book of Cesar Chavez
  • Lost and Found Cat : The True Story of Kunkush's Incredible Journey
  • There Was a Black Hole That Swallowed the Universe
  • I'm an Immigrant Too!
  • Dreamers
  • Refugees and Migrants (Children in Our World)
  • This Is Me: A Story of Who We Are and Where We Came From
  • The Big Umbrella
  • From Far Away
  • Lubna and Pebble
  • Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin
Nancy Coffelt is an author and artist from Portland, Oregon - best known for her work on childrens' and young adult books, including Fred Stays With Me and Listen.
She often features dogs in her work, and a lot of her stories revolve around dogs. Her art has been featured in galleries, and she illustrates several of her own books.