Start by marking “The Scorpion Game” as Want to Read:
The Scorpion Game

The Scorpion Game

In 2458, on a continent sized starship with its own atmosphere and an entire civilization churning inside, the poor live in rotting organic cities and the rich live in massive orbital mansions drifting in the clouds. When a hooker plunges from the sixty-sixth floor of an opulent nightclub and a senator is found dead in his room, the police call on Lt Durante Hoskin to solv ...more
Published May 26th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Scorpion Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scorpion Game

Start your review of The Scorpion Game
Tamahome
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it

Edited by Sffaudio friend Marissa Vu. It sounds pretty cool. Sample chapter:

Can some librarian put the cover art in?

Thanks.

Wish the kindle ebook had page numbers.

His blog is interesting. http://meuploads.com/blog/

This kind of reminds me of Jack Kincaid's sf audio drama "Edict Zero" http://edictzero.wordpress.com/ I have to finish listening to that sometime. (He does the intro to the Geek's Guide to the Galaxy podcast.)

FINAL:
All done. Why do things seem to
Kara Holmes
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible. It was not just good sci-fi. The author's insights into human nature and creation of a futuristic world are amazing. It is both entertaining and thought provoking. Excellent work!
Ashley Withrow
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. It was an interesting take on the future possibilities and the direction science could go. There were elements that made it possible to relate to the culture and the people.

The villain was particularly well done. The author made it possible to see how evil can grow within a person for years before breaking free and wreaking havoc. Very well written.

Some elements of the government system were eerily familiar as well. The whole novel is really thought provoking and asks imp
Greg
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very unique and unusual science fiction work. I thought the science, the suspense and the characters all very interesting. It was easy to suspend my disbelief pages into it...
Rick Harrington
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
A friend of mine wrote a script, playing out the dynamics of subatomic particles. I told him it was unreadable, but actually I did read it. I just think that no-one else would. He broke a few canonical boundaries, mostly by giving identity to things at a level where strictly speaking there is none.

It was interesting to apply the dynamics of subatomic physics to the way that characters interrelate. My friend was working out some basic issues with inappropriately limited power, especially as it ha
Slb
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is a sc-fi investigative detective mystery meets Inspector Gadget times 1000. What a creative story. The plot was a cliche but the story was action, adventure, suspense, and a whole new world. Tight well written with a good detective. Made it easy reading. I hate it when the author creams the friend and or the girlfriend or both. There must be a story line that could keep his support and dear ones safe. Most of these stories don't so I probably need get over it.. Well done but I like m ...more
Kavita Favelle
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This book has everything one needs of a compelling sci-fi read - clever plot, well-drawn characters and an interesting universe - so often, authors manage only one or two of the three.
The author doesn't shy away from darkness and horror but most of the book is a classic detective story set in the future. I like that the futuristic aspects are subtly woven into the narrative, not sledge-hammered at you as proof of how clever the author is.
(It sounds like I'm anti sci fi books or authors, and I'm
Tandra Fairbanks
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I would like it after a few pages cause the writing was a bit weak. And it felt like it just wanted to shock in its extreme over-sexed descriptions of the future. But then I found myself turning pages and losing track of time and almost missing my train stop. The ending was a bit weak again but overall I was pleasantly surprised.
Marti
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not read this book. The horrors and disgusting scenes of the "pleasure" house are images I never want to remember. I skipped past most of that to the next section only to find that it began with a little boy who sliced live animals open for fun. This was only the first 5% of the book! No thank you.
Cindy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Was given this book a few years ago from a contest. Finally read it. I couldn't get beyond the first 50 pages. Was one of the worst books I have ever read and I will read just about anything. Also, many typos and grammatical errors were distracting.
Jon
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!

Thoughtful and interesting futurisms and a fast-paced, compelling story line made this a quick and entertaining read that kept me thinking about technology's impact on identity and sense of self.

Great story!
Luigi
Not really my genre, steampunk. It was OK
Chris
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I should first disclose that I received a promotional copy of this novel for review - though I do not feel in any way inclined to change my review as a result. It's quite a decent novel on its own merits, and there are rather a lot of things that I really liked!

Firstly, the technology! I love the v-selves tech: just imagine how quickly and efficiently an intelligent person could tackle an issue when their intellect was multiplied (literally, duplicated in to multiple instances) to address the co
Jason Stenger
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ok so to be clear, I got this e-book for free upon entering a contest. This has in no way affected my opinion or review of this book.
Now that that's clear, Daniel Jeffries has created a distant future world where any possible physical modification is just a simple surgery away, new bodies can be grown for people if they die, drugs are common in everyday use and are in fact often "built-in" to people, cities are built on starships and buildings are grown of living tissue. Despite all of this it'
Graeme Ing
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cyberpunk, scifi
What a ride! This book takes cyberpunk to a whole new level, embracing near-singularity concepts. Jeffries is a master at his craft and this is an excellent debut novel. His tech is exciting, sophisticated and full of organic architecture and nanotech, a thread that is constant throughout the story and one that Jeffries makes consistent and highly plausible. You can totally imagine this future.

Whether you label this a detective mystery or thriller, this is a great read. Hoskins is the detective
Jason
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First serious competition the Neuromancer

Gritty, slimy, thoughtful, deep are all words I can use to describe this book. It was so good that I plan to read it again next summer vacation when I can savor it like a fine wine.

As a long time sci fi and cyberpunk fan (Neromancer came out when I was in high school) this book REALLY scratched that itch I didn't even know I had. I have been ready so much lightweight stuff that this was like a double shot of tequila after drinking water for months. Very
Philip Olinger
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beginning this book is like waking up in the middle of downtown Tokyo - a sudden neon phantasmagoria. After I settled in, though, the far-future noir gripped me and I was hooked. Jeffries makes well-informed extrapolations of some current state-of-the-art technologies that I heartily approve of (vSelves!) as well as a hint of space opera. Fans of Blade Runner and Neuromancer will not be disappointed.
Bruce
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Behind a smokescreen of futuristic technology lies a story based on the old tropes. A hardened, cynical detective is called to the murder of a young woman (it's always a woman - in this case, a prostitute, for double misogyny points, I suppose). He can trust no one, even his partner. etc. No strong female roles, lots of explosions. Need I go on?

whiterascal
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really good cop-who done it-action thriller. The world building is pretty tough to get through but it's worth it. The writer way actually lose some readers with all the details of this crazy scifi/fantasy world. But be patient and just keep reading because it's a crazy good ride.
CHERYL  BUTLER
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FREAKING AWESOME

Great science fiction melded with good cop story with a few moral lessons. Was so good I nearly read it in one sitting. I was given a free copy in exchange for a review however even though I normally just read free books, I will buy book two.
Tom Britton
Dec 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not really a SF guy but like good man hunt ,too much on the killer and morality not my cup of tea
Luke Kelsch
Don Jonuska
Jul 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Westside
  • The Warship (Rise of the Jain #2)