Start by marking “Bekraste zielen” as Want to Read:
Bekraste zielen

Bekraste zielen

De halfbroertjes Clarence en Elliot wonen in een weeshuis sinds hun moeder door geweld omkwam. Hun veilige leven neemt een bizarre wending wanneer ze gegijzeld worden door Earl Sheridan, een veroordeelde moordenaar en psychopaat van het ergste soort. Het trio trekt door Californië en Texas, op de vlucht voor de autoriteiten. De jongens worden geconfronteerd met een groeien ...more
Published 2013 by De Fontein (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bekraste zielen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bekraste zielen

Gail
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while a book comes along that you know, without question, you will never forget. Beautifully written, incredibly descriptive and you actually feel like you are watching a film; this is one such book. It's simply breathtaking. I actually cried so hard at the end; I felt like I was mourning a loved one; I had come to love and care for most of the characters that much.

This is an incredibly violent and gruesome story of a serial killer and it's very disturbing but the violence and c
Karen
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then, along comes one of those books. The sort that makes you look at people who make statements like "I NEVER read genre fiction" with just that little bit of sadness for what they are missing. That's not to say that BAD SIGNS is the sort of book that everyone is going to enjoy, but for any readers looking for something that will really make you think, take you into some very uncomfortable places, and be profoundly challenged, then it will be an outstanding book.

Strange as it may
Mike Van Barneveld
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Als je van boeken houdt die je ziel op velerlei verschillende manieren weten te raken, dan heb je met ‘Bekraste Zielen’ van R.J. Ellory goud in handen. De auteur heeft een verhaal weten neer te zetten dat je haast met ingehouden adem leest. Ellory heeft een hele eigen manier van schrijven ontwikkeld waardoor zijn boeken lastig in een bepaalde categorie in te delen zijn. Zelf duidt hij zijn boeken graag aan als ‘slow motion thrillers’, en beter kan hij de spijker niet op zijn kop slaan. Over elk ...more
Stephen
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tremendous book. Had all the usual attributes that I like in RJ Ellory books - the clever way that two stories come together as one; the references to true life events; the way that emotions/feelings are described which so brilliantly describe how the characters are thinking and make them seem so real; and the twist in the ending.
But this one was different from the others and more ambitious and risky - it was told from the perspective of the criminals rather than from that of the good guys that
Anne
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bad Signs is set in the 1960s, in Texas in the USA and takes place during one week - only seven days, but an exhausting seven days, for the characters and for the reader. Elliot and Clarence are two half-brothers, better known as Digger and Clay, they were orphaned at an early age and have spent their time in 'juvy'. Life has not been good for them - were they born under a 'bad sign', will the dark star that has followed them through life always make life this bad? It certainly seems that way wh ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
‘Eldorado. Where kids have moms and dads.’

When Clarence Luckman’s father kills their mother, Clarence and his half-brother Elliott Danziger , spend their childhood in various state institutions. By the time they are teenagers, housed in a juvenile detention facility, Clarence (known as Clay) and Elliott (known as Digger) are well acquainted with violence and the darker side of life in institutions. And things are about to get a whole lot worse when they are taken hostage by Earl Sheridan. Earl S
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My other half put me onto this book, as he so often does. We both usually enjoy the same authors.

This book had me hanging on each character's story as the author rotates their experiences chapter by chapter. You really want to know where each cliff hanger leads! The violence is described in enough detail without being gratuitous & leaves your imagination processing the rest.

All together an enjoyable read with some lovely twists that keep you guessing.
Bernd
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
Heel sterk verhaal, gruwelijk mooi. Meeslepend geschreven, heel filmisch ook. Een boek dat je met spijt weglegt als je moet stoppen met lezen en waarbij je op het einde het boek sluit en zo eventjes dromerig in de verte kijkt en nog nageniet.
Lorraine
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend this book.
Lots of violence which I found quite upsetting many times throughout the book, but this intense story is so very well written. Absolutely loved this brilliant book...which did surprise me. Now to read more of this author.
Annabee
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
R.J. Ellory weet uitstekend te verwoorden wat er in de halfbroers Digger en Clay omgaat. Digger is hard, kil, licht beïnvloedbaar en instabiel, Clay is de softie met een degelijk karakter. De jongens slaan totaal verschillende wegen in, de lezer volgt hen op de voet. Daarnaast speelt de verhaallijn van het politieonderzoek naar een reeks van geweldsmisdrijven. Het spreekt vanzelf dat de diverse lijnen elkaar op zeker moment kruisen.

‘Bekraste zielen’ is geschreven in een stijl die doet denken aa
Big Bertha
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On finishing this book I have to say "That was probably one of the best books I've ever read"

Digger Danzinger and Clay Luckman were half brothers who never got a break, growing up in a Juvenile Detention Centre things weren't going to change. Then a freak storm bought killer Earl Sheridan to their door, en-route to his hanging it was the only suitable place for his guards to stop off for the night and when he makes a break for freedom, he needs hostages and Digger and Clay are the chosen ones.

Th
James Perkins
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarence Luckman and Elliott Danziger are orphaned half-brothers that started life rough, two teenagers who know little about the world except the unpleasant state institutions in which they grew up. Their lives change forever when they are taken as hostages by a convicted killer on his way to death row.

Ellory's novel is a brilliant thriller that keeps you reading as you feel for his characters in the midst of desperation on the highways and small towns of south-west United States in the mid-19
Els Baert
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waaaaauw!
Bekraste zielen is een zeer innemend en beklijvend boek dat hoofdzakelijk gaat over de levens van de twee halfbroers Clay en Elliot.
Reeds op jonge leeftijd krijgt hun leven plots een andere wending wanneer hun moeder komt te sterven.
Vanop dat moment lijken ze voor het ongeluk geboren. Aanvankelijk worden ze ondergebracht in een weeshuis, maar door het ondeugend gedrag van Elliot worden ze overgeplaatst naar de jeugdgevangenis.
Wanneer ze ook nog gegijzeld worden door een voortvluchtende
William Gaule
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claude
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An unforgettable thriller. Perhaps the best one, in this genre, I have ever read. It's a hell (of a) ride. The tension is practically unbearable and despite the gruesome murders, there is so much tenderness to be found. Excellent!

quotes:
The most dangerous thing about Earl Sheridan was his confidence. Confidence was nothing more than certainty. Confidence was simply saying something you believed in. Trouble was that those with impressionable minds took certainty and self-belief as truth.

Ever atte
Janie
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting much from this book after reading the synopsis but, boy, was I wrong! It is one of the best books I have ever read - and that is many. It is beautifully written and Ellory does a wonderful job in exploring the nature of human beings and how growing up and the building of character can go tragically wrong in an instant and with the added ingredients of further adversity can create a human monster, on one hand, and a caring good person on the other; in fact, mirror image persona ...more
Verity (The Cosy Reading Nest)
From beginning to end this story had me gripped and I simply could not stop reading.
The pace of the book is relentless and you really get caught up in the danger and suspense of it all- at times I realised I was even holding my breath waiting to see what was going to happen.
The relationship between the two half-brothers that this story centers around is beautifully described, and the people that they meet along the way equally add to the beauty of the story.
The way that this beauty is juxtaposed
Ruth
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Een heel mooi geschreven boek. Grondig uitgewerkte hoofdpersonages.
De eerste twintig bladzijden vond ik aanvankelijk maar niets, maar toen het verhaal echt goed op gang kwam, zag ik ook het nut van de beginfase in.
Wat me gestoord heeft, is dat de personages bijna constant ronddwalen en af en toe halt houden om te eten. Een gegeven dat iets te vaak herhaald wordt.
Vanaf de helft van het boek zag ik ook al hoe het verhaal zou aflopen, waardoor de spanning grotendeels wegviel...
Coenraad
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ik ben inmiddels halverwege het boek . Het is spannend vanaf de eerste blz. Veel karakters die allemaal ieder op een eigen een bijdrage leveren aan dit verhaal. Als je begint in dit boek wil je weten waar het verhaal naar toe gaa en welke wendingen het aanneemt. Top tot nu toe.
Telys
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Wow, wow, wow.
J'ai retrouvé dans "Mauvaise étoile" tout ce que j'avais aimé dans "Seul le silence" : un jeune homme résolument combattif, qui se débat à travers les mauvais sorts que la vie lui réserve.

Il y a de meilleurs départs dans la vie que d'assister au meurtre de sa mère par son second mari, mais c'est pourtant ce qui arrive à Elliott Danziger et Clarence Luckman. Leur vie se résumera ensuite à l'orphelinat et aux maisons de correction, jusqu'à ce qu'un condamné à mort s'évade en leur c
Wayne Haroutunian
Amazing writing, amazing story! Ellory builds a world and a depth of character unlike any other. Unexpected twists occur along the way and you’re taken along to the perfect ending — there could be no other ending than this one.

This book ISN’T for the faint of heart. But at the same time, the darkness is balanced with the light and with some of the most beautiful scenes and words of all. Reminds me of Cormac McCarthy, but with a different touch of magic added to the darkness. For me, it’s McCart
Lisa
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book. It was so amazing. But oh my wordddddddd. It was one of the most (gratituously) violent books with graphic sexual attacks that I have ever read.

This was completely plot driven, bu the characters -- including most of the victims -- were very well defined. The reader connected with the characters and engaged with them throughout.

I loved Bailey and Clay. But I think the heroes of the novel were John Cassidy and his amazing wife. If you can get past the violence, grab this. It was a bit
Shawn
Dec 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so disappointed with this. I've read seven other Ellory books, and this is the only one I haven't liked. The plot was driven so much by coincidence, with such stereotypes, that I just couldn't enjoy it. A main character that seems to change with no reason to do so, and a plot that depends mainly on taking for granted that a criminal is telling the truth to the cops don't make this as compelling as it could and should have been.
Stargazer
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Loving getting through these books, my author of the moment. Would make a great movie. Unputdownable, with good solid plot and the best and worst of human nature explored. I was peeking through my fingers at some points, well, squinting my eyes a bit dreading what the baddies were going to do to their victims. Great read. Onto the next!
Kris Van Laer
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love these kinds of stories, it reads like a thriller, a road movie, a coming of age and love story all in one. Yes it gets more brutal and brutal along the story and you sometimes wonder how can a young guy like that turn into a monster in such short notice but it didn't bother me at all.
Cannot wait till the moment they make a movie out of it
Joe
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first RJ Ellory novel in a few years and this was a thoroughly enjoyable read. The story is set in the 60’s and the author does a great job of providing the background and ongoing emotions of the 2 brothers. Very violent and graphic in places but this is a fascinating read and highly recommended.
Baz
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific book Didn't want to put it down. Probably the best R.J. Ellory novel I've read so far.
Very clever plot with extremely descriptive writing which keeps up a speed of light plot. Thoroughly recommend this book.
BoekenTrol
I liked this book. It was interesting, quite a quick read, unpredictable and the end was satisfactory, although all threads were quite nicely followed & attached.
How two boys head to their respective destinations, it certainly felt like it was all predestined while I was reading.
Bougainvillea
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping from beginning to end
Tracey Lambert
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just brilliant
  • Schuilplaats
  • Glashard (Jessica Haider #2)
  • Trackers (Lemmer #2)
  • Einvígið (Young Inspector Erlendur #1)
  • Vertige
  • Vergeet mij niet (Kathleen Verlinden, #3)
  • The House of Dolls (Pieter Vos, #1)
  • Als padden schreeuwen (Paul Vegter #6)
  • Stille grond
  • Onmacht
  • Hokwerda's kind
  • IV
  • Der Beobachter
  • De ensamma
  • De verborgen bron
  • Wer Wind sät (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #5)
  • Spring Tide (Rönning & Stilton, #1)
  • The 50/50 Killer
Roger began his first novel on November 4th, 1987 and did not stop, except for three days when he was going through a divorce from his first wife, until July of 1993. During this time he completed twenty-two novels, most of them in longhand, and accumulated several hundred polite and complimentary rejection letters from many different and varied publishers.

He stopped writing out of sheer frustrat
“Such things were just details, and details came long after the main body of a plan.” 0 likes
“I want the same things as everyone else. Enough smarts to keep out of trouble, enough money to get what I want, enough time to enjoy it.” 0 likes