Start by marking “Don't Make Me Beautiful” as Want to Read:
Don't Make Me Beautiful

Don't Make Me Beautiful

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  4,802 ratings  ·  561 reviews
Librarian Note: Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN: B00EZ5R78O.

NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR, ELLE CASEY, brings readers the romantic suspense novel DON’T MAKE ME BEAUTIFUL.

This story was inspired by true events. If you liked the movie "Sleeping With the Enemy", then you might like this story too.

No one knew a woman lived there or that she even existed. A
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 370 pages
Published September 9th 2013 by Elle Casey (first published September 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Make Me Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Make Me Beautiful

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Don't Make Me Beautiful
Aestas Book Blog
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

First, here's my casting for Brian:

*** FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ***

WOW!! I absolutely loved this book!!! 5 stars!

Don't Make Me Beautiful is a deeply touching, beautiful and inspiring story with a powerful message about the strength of survival and the healing power of love.

It's both heart breaking and heart warming with a strong heroine, a to-die-for hero, and a story that will stay with you long after you finish reading. It touched my heart deeply and reminded me that there are still superheroe
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*3.5 Stars*

While I didn't end up falling in love with the delivery of this story, I respect its content and the brave messages it so strongly conveyed.

Don't Make Me Beautiful centers on one woman's escape of an extremely brutal and heartbreaking case of domestic abuse. The beginning presents fairly gruesome events that, although potentially difficult for some to witness, are detrimental in communicating an honest representation of the abuse.

Nicole is a woman who is trapped in a physically and
Jacqueline's Reads
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 4-star-books

4.5 Stars

Don’t make me Beautiful is a mixture of Safe Haven and Slave. It’s a damsel in distress story line that will grip your heart from start to finish.

I loved Shine Not Burn, so I was very excited for Elle Casey’s newest book, Don’t Make Me Beautiful. Okay, so “Romantic Suspense” isn’t a genre I usually read, BUT it’s an Elle Casey book, so I had to read it. Don’t make me beautiful made me realize how much I do love those deep emotional, you-want-to-give-the-Heroine-a-hug story line.

Dilek VT

That book hugely disappointed me. Domestic violence is an issue all of us should be sensitive about and when films are made or books are written about it, I appreciate the effort; that is why I read this book but it didn’t make sense at all.

Having grown up in a home where there was domestic violence, I have a pretty good idea what it feels like and many things in this book sounded so wrong to me.

Before telling you my problems about this book, let me describe the severe condition of the abused gi
Beverly
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying this subject matter, domestic abuse, is very near and dear to my heart. I think it is very serious and my heart goes out to individuals in these situations.

Nicole is living with a monster. For the past three years she has endured endless abuse. The mental abuse has broken her down and made her weak and vulnerable. The physical abuse has made her look like a monster, to the point she scares children.

A lot of people who read this have issues with Nicole staying in an ab
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing

photo image_zpsaefee7d9.jpg

Don't make me beautiful is the story of Nicole. Nicole is trapped in an abusive relationship, her boyfriend has beaten and tortured her to the point where she no longer recognises herself in the mirror. She can no longer see a way out and has resigned herself to always being trapped, always being a prisoner. She has continuously been broken down and along the way she has lost so much more than just herself........

photo image_zps167c20a6.jpg

Until one day a little boy hits a ball and breaks her window, and this simp
K
✮✮✮✮✮ 5 Beautifully Damaged Stars ✮✮✮✮✮

"She stares out the window as the late afternoon sun tries to make it's way through the window. Those gauzy curtains would make it almost impossible for her to see what’s going on inside her house, if she were ever standing on the lawn or the sidewalk looking in. But that never happens. She never leaves the house. Not even at night. Well, once she did. But then never again. The aftermath was not worth the brief taste of freedom."

Don't Make Me Be
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Just watched Me Before You, now i can't stop picturing MC as Emilia Clarke! <3

Interesting title? Check.
Mysterious cover? Check.
On top of that this author's note!

"A really long time ago, I read an article in a newspaper or a magazine (I haven’t been able to locate the original) about a woman who was so badly beaten over a long period of time, she couldn’t leave her house. I thought about that woman a lot over the years and about what her thoughts might have been, her fears, her reality … and t
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
★Book Basics★

Genre : - Contemporary Romance
Series : - Stand Alone
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author? - Maybe
Rating - 2

★Review★

At first this started off well, even though I am not a fan of present tense.

The switching of the chapters from Brian's life to Nicole's life was done very well. Offering some relief while serving to highlight the
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
*****5 Heartbreaking warming Stars*****

There are so many words I can think to describe this masterpiece but so few to describe the whole story in a nutshell.

I cried, laughed, swooned, hated, sighed, etc......

This book touches every emotion while reading and so few authors have this ability to really make the reader FEEL

Nicole is a young woman trapped in a relationship with a monster. A monster who has beaten her so bad that her face is distorted and has left her looking like a monster. It's beau
Raquel
DNF at around the 60% mark.

Have read other Elle Casey's books and have enjoyed them. But this one fell a bit flat. Really liked the idea of the story and the story started out ok, but as it went on some of the characters actions, mainly the main male character Brian's felt a bit too unrealistic . I really liked the compassion he showed but a lot his actions were just too much/too convenient for under the circumstances. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of insta-love and that was the vibe I got in t
Jo
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gr2016, 3-stars

For the last three years, Nicole has been violently abused by her boyfriend. She used to be a very beautiful girl, but after years of abuse her face has been so disfigured that she can’t leave the house. The mental and physical abuse has made it impossible for her to leave, and even if she could have found the courage to try again, her boyfriend locks her in their home when he’s not there so that there’s no way out.

Until a little boy hits his baseball through her window, and a Knight comes to h

.Lili.
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
 photo a8716360-3607-4b21-9b97-d2a9c8e71755_zps123c7db9.jpg

I'm kind of late to the party on this one... so I won't rehash what the story is about. What I'd like to focus on instead is the fact that this was a beautiful story about strength, hope, and perseverance. Nicole, suffered through years of domestic abuse. This man, has made her prisoner in mind, body, and spirit.

photo tumblr_ml203hBUZH1r0y8j6o1_400_zps873e41ec.gif

Upon chance she meets her guardian angel and from there she meets people who are truly there for her and make her a part of. They make her feel somehing she's been scared to feel: hope.

I
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
A monster living in the dark

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

At the age of twenty two Nicole doesn't even look human anymore..A monster, consigned to a life of fear and solitude..This story was inspired by true events..And that's when it became real for me..Gut wrenching, heart breaking raw story of domestic violence, times I had to stop reading and read something light because it just broke my heart..Imagine the solitude, day in day out, not going outside because of the way you looked..

Thinking you deserved this life dishe
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
Sep 24, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: reviewed

DNF at 45%

I'm gonna have to call it a day when John just walked in again and gave me the creeps. *shivers*

Brian finds his neighbour, Nicole almost been left for dead in her own home. She has been the victim of severe physical and mental abused by her partner, leaving her face distorted.

A few things didn't work for me. The main problem being I just couldn't connect with the main characters. I felt like they lacked chemistry and there was sort of an insta love thing going on. I thought Brian was
Sade
Feb 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

This book had a nice premise and the first couple of chapters were actually promising but the whole plot went down hill so fast, it left my head spinning.

I cannot stress this enough, authors need to stop romanticising serious issues in books.

When authors write about Rape, Kidnapping, Domestic Violence, Pedophilia et al and label perpetrators of these acts "Anti-Heroes" it stresses me out, when they paint it in a romantic way, it really really does my head in.

Real Life is messy and frankly if yo

bibliophile (Romance Addict)

This book is worth 4.25 stars.

This is NOT a bad rating because I immensely enjoyed reading this novel. Nicole is a woman who has been abused for years. She has been prisoned and mistreated for a long time that she has given up on freedom.

This novel is good because:
♦ Reversed beauty and the beast.
♦ The abuse aspect is different because at the start of the book, Nicole is still experiencing it. It's kind of different from other books where the hero/ine has experienced it in the past but are sti
Marti Honeycutt
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I will start out by saying that hands down this is the best book I've ever read.....and I have read so many.....this one just blew my fav's out of the water. Here's why:

This book is not about one night stands.....whoring around.....dirty thoughts upon knowing each other 5 seconds.....characters drowning theirselves in meaningless sex and meaningless relationships yadayada.....this book just feels so real. A lot of times I finish my books and I feel like dang I just spent hours of my time on that
Kirsty
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 stars just aren't enough. And neither are my words. Nothing can give this book the amount of credit it deserves.
"I'm no superhero."
"Tell that to the girl you're rescuing."

Don't Make Me Beautiful broke my heart. I've had this book on my 'to-read' pile for a long time but have never really felt that in to the idea of reading it. For no reason at all other than there's always another book to read.. Well, I am so glad I finally decided to give it a go. It was beautiful.

Nicole is living
♥Sharon♥
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don’t make me beautiful is a heart wrenching story about a young woman who has suffered unspeakable physical and mental abuse at the hands of someone she thought loved her.

Nicole’s story was painful to read. I can’t imagine surviving what she went through. Once beautiful, her face is now distorted because of so many beatings where the broken bones, cuts and bruises were left to heal on their own. My heart more than broke for her. It shattered into a million pieces. But as I turned the pages and
*TANYA*
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! I couldn't put this book down!!! Yup, it was intense!! I can't wait to read more of the authors other books.

“You are your own keeper, Nicole.  I’m just your protector.  I can’t let you go back to him.  He’ll kill you next time, you know that, don’t you?"
Jamie
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! A completely unique storyline.. Sad, gut wrenching, sweet, hopeful....I loved it.
Alpha Possessive Heroes
Wow, this was emotional, disturbing and beautiful! I started reading this around 12 am, told myself I'm just going to read a few pages to make me feel sleepy but damn.. I couldn't take my eyes off my kindle!

I've never been abused, but reading this book I was consumed with different emotions. To be honest at one point I felt that I was her.

Brian.. oh sweet Brian. I usually go for possessive, jerk hero but in this story our hero Brian is quite the opposite. He's nice, sweet, honest and understandi
Chan
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm struggling with what to say about this book.

I see that it's labeled as dark, but I would disagree. I think disturbing is a better adjective.

Elle Casey addressed a serious issue with this novel, but IMO, it wasn't done well. I don't want to be rude, but this is one of those reads that I could have lived the rest of my life without reading. I don't expect a formulaic storyline or an HEA, but a sensitive issue like this needs to be handled...IDK...I just didn't care for it.

I'm not rating lower
Renee
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
**A Romance Suspense Novel**

description

I liked the writing and it had a unique story line. However, I felt it was a little unrealistic - I did not feel it was accurate description of the way someone who had been so brutally abused would have reacted and responded to a new relationship. Overall an OK read.
Imy♥♥
Don't Make Me Beautiful truly is one of those great stand alone novels. I laughed. I loved. I cried and got angry. This book took me by complete surprise!

photo 17981514.jpg

At twenty-two, Nicole no longer resembles the beautiful young girl she once was three years ago. Her face has been savagely disfigured after years of abuse, So she hides from the world and tries to survive living, with him. Hopeful that one day death will set her free from the beast.

Brian's a single father to his six year old son, Liam. Both wi
Vickie***
there's not enough stars/5

Lately I have been really judgmental towards new books, and I was worried that I would criticize this book as well. THANK GOD THAT WAS NOT THE CASE

This is the first book ever where I cried more than once. It's such an emotional read. I am so glad that I came across this book!!

little beginning summary:
Nicole is currently living with her abusive boyfriend. Not really one of those cliche book abusive bf, because not only was Nicole scarred on the inside, but on the outs
Ⓑookish Ⓞne
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: luv-it
You know how sometimes you just have that urge to find a read that will wrap itself around your heart and tug it? Well, I found this book, ‘Don’t Make Me Beautiful’ and as cliché as it may sound, it was, an instant connection.

I was up early Saturday morning eager to start reading. Having a late night out the night before, my mind was not truly ready for what I was about to encounter. The story is told in alternate point of views, between the H - Brian and the h - Nicole.

Okay, here goes….. I was
Ihcene
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by this book, first the cover then the blurb!
The story is about Nicole an abused woman who's been beaten within every inch of her body that she's no longer recognizable.. She's later rescued by her neighbor and the story goes from there!
I felt myself cry more than once while reading this book, it was so intense and it completely broke my heart, there was hope, faith and love and it deserve a happy ending.
Jill
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
This book didn't waste time getting right into it. I liked how it described Nicole's "relationship" with John perfectly without being to graphic. I felt so sorry for her and I instantly wanted to see her get her HEA.

Brian and his son Liam were her angels. They saved her from "the monster". But some of the things Brian did I thought were kind of....rushed??? (view spoiler)
Insomnia Book Club: Don't Make Me Beautiful by Elle Casey 1 17 Oct 27, 2013 06:03PM
BR for Don't Make Me Beautiful 71 85 Oct 12, 2013 01:25AM

• Speechless
  • Falling for Autumn (Falling for Autumn, #1)
  • Wishing for Someday Soon
  • That Girl
  • Guarding the Broken: Nothing Left to Lose, Part I (Guarded Hearts, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • The Big Boss (Big Men Series Book 3)
  • Wicked (Wicked, #1-3)
  • Fear of Falling (Fearless, #1)
  • Brutally Beautiful (Beautiful, #1)
  • The Mad Tatter
  • Promise Me Always
  • Stripped
  • Rocked Under (Rocked, #1)
  • Liar, Liar
  • A Flaw So Beautiful
  • Like Gravity
  • You Loved Me At My Weakest
Elle Casey, a former attorney and teacher, is a NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY bestselling American author who lives in France with her husband, the youngest of her three kids, and several horses, dogs, and cats. She has written more than 40 novels in less than 5 years and likes to say she offers fiction in several flavors. These flavors include romance, science fiction, urban fantasy, action advent ...more

News & Interviews

“Scars are your body's way of healing, making that damaged part stronger than it ever was before the pain.” 23 likes
“Monsters can only live in hiding, covered by darkness and the shame wrapped up in the telling.” 8 likes