Start by marking “Moldylocks and the Three Beards (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake Believe, #1)” as Want to Read:

Moldylocks and the Three Beards

(Princess Pink and the Land of Fake-Believe #1)

Noah Z. Jones turns well-known fairy tales upside-down in this humorous new series!

This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line called Branches, which is aimed at newly independent readers. With easy-to-read text, high-interest content, fast-paced plots, and illustrations on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and stamina. Branches books
Published April 29th 2014 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Moldylocks and the Three Beards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moldylocks and the Three Beards

Start your review of Moldylocks and the Three Beards (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake Believe, #1)
Tim The Enchanter
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sydney-s-reads
This is the review of my 7 year old daughter, Sydney.

Who is in it: The book is about Moldylocks, Princess Pink, a moose and the Three Beards.

Where does it take place: It takes place the Land of Fake-Believe and in the house of the Beards.

What is it about: One night Princess Pink goes to her fridge and heard a bird inside the fridge. She decided to walk through the fridge and she found the world of Fake Believe where she falls on a moose. She than meets Moldylocks and they sneak into the house of
Holly Letson
It's kinda funny, but also kinda boring.
Steph
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I adore fractured fairy tales, I love books that make kids (and me!) laugh, and I am absolutely obsessed with books that feel like chapter books but are actually just like a picture book put into the chapter book format so my reluctant and struggling readers don't have to look like they are carrying around "baby books."

Essentially all of the things I like about this book are NOTHING to do with the ridiculous and (I really never call books this, but this one deserves it) stupid story. Fine, if
Erin
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Moldylocks and the Three Beards is a zany take on a classic fairytale, one that had my daughter, a 6 year old reluctant reader, and I laughing together as we shared it before bed. While I understand that most adults will be critical of this completely silly tale, I will forever remember that my daughter wanted to read all of Princess Pink's speech bubbles herself! That, to me, is priceless. And the colorful illustrations are fantastic in this transitional reader.
Karrie Callahan
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion I think this book is amazing
Krista
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Me niece challenged me to read some of the books she’s into. While there are many in a series I’ll only post the first one.

These are great early readers. They are funny and the pictures are great. I get why Haddi is interested.
Amy Sudol
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
What do you do when you’re hungry late at night? You go to the fridge, of course! What do you do when your fridge has been turned into a portal to The Land of Fake-Believe? You lean in to look and fall in, of course! Princess Pink just wanted a snack when she lands in The Land of Fake-Believe. Luckily, Moldylocks sees her fall from the sky and knows where they can grab a bite to eat. Off they go to the three beards house where they find chili that is too cold, too hot, and just right...but ...more
Annissa
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Copyright: 2014 by Noah Z. Jones
Number of Pages: 72
Book Format: Hardcover
Reading level: K-2, GR level O
Genre: Fairytale
Lit Requirement: Monarch Award Nominee 2018

Summary:
Noah Z. Jones' book, Moldylocks and the Three Beards begins with an introduction of the main character, Princess Pink. Princess Pink hates the color pink or anything girly. We find out that Princess pink only has brothers, and that she loves making beards and other boy-like things out of girly things. One night Her mother tucks
Kimberly
My daughter and I spotted this at the library and instantly added it to our book stack. We are huge fans of all of the early chapter books in the Scholastic branches line. This fairytale retelling is incredibly imaginative and was a quick, fun read aloud.

Young readers will definitely laugh out loud as they discover the play on words from the original tale that they are familiar with. These slight changes make for a really silly story. My daughter loved the tunacorn as well and still brings that
Charles  van Buren
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The wacky land of Fake Believe,August 12, 2017

This review is from:Moldylocks and the Three Beards: A Branches Book (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake-Believe #1) (Kindle Edition)

Reviews should be read carefully before deciding on a purchase. One review for this book speaks of it confusing a six year old. Another review states that an entire class found the book to be too ridiculous and that it was "like a story from a 2nd grader who really has nothing to write about so they just keep writing
Stephanie P
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
My rating for this one would be 3 stars, but my kids loved it and would probably give it 5 stars so I'm averaging it out. I love fairy tale retellings, but this one didn't seem to bring anything too special to the table and I found the plot kind of random and odd.

I was reading it aloud to my 4 year old and my 2 year old sat down to read along with us as well. We read the entire thing in one sitting and then they wanted to read it over again right away. And my daughter carried the book around
Brittany
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moldylocks and the Three Beards is a 2018 Monarch Award Nominee. This hybrid, graphic novel is a spin-off of the traditional fairy tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This story follows a similar story line with a modern flair. It's a great story for readers who want to venture into the world of chapter books. The illustrations hold the readers attention. The text on each page usually includes a small paragraph and speech bubbles. The format and story-line make this a great book for 1st and ...more
Pat Salvatini
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-chapter
Princess Pink, who is neither a princess nor a girl who likes pink, falls into the alternate world of The Land of Fake-Believe that exists inside her refrigerator. A take on fractured fairy tales that is bright, graphic and easy to read. While I wasn't a complete fan of either the stilted writing or odd plot, I'll admit I'll buy the other books to round out the series because this will probably be a popular book.
Crystal
My 5 and 7 year old loves this series. I'm just happy to find something to get the 7 year old to read! Fractured fairy tale about a girl named princess pink who hates anything "girly". I don't think we need to indoctrinate girls against girly stuff, but instead give them a huge variety of good female role-models to help them find their way. But this was light-hearted so I'm not too worried about it. Overall, a cute story.
Debra
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, juvenile, fantasy
A fractured fairy tale that is presented in a colorful, graphic novel(?) format. Who knew that a craving for a midnight snack could drop you in the Land of Fake-Believe. (Thank goodness for the moose!) Princess Pink is adventurous, friendly and very resourceful. I hope that these type of adventures revive an interest in fairy tales in the way Rick Riordan stories sparked interest in Greek mythology.
Shyla Colt
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The perfect tale for tomboys everywhere. Princess pink isn't the type for dresses and dolls. She likes to wear pants, get dirty, and be one of the boys. When. She goes looking for a late night snack in the fridge she discovers a universe where everything is turned upside down. Welcome to Fake believe.
Joyce
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: juv-fiction, series, funny
This was recommended to me by a first grade patron who regularly visits my library and loves to read. I was impressed by his recommendation. Moldylocks and the Three Beards is a funny fractured fairy tale that is great for transitional readers and reluctant readers. The writing is simple and the illustrations are fun and colorful.
Tegan
Fun start to a story! This is great for younger kids that are maybe interested in Sarah Mlynowski's retelling series. It is also great for those looking to get into graphic novels, as it is a hybrid. I enjoyed the illustrations and colors. Monarch 2018 Nominee. Also read for grad school class Comics: Advising Readers.
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
A quirky, fractured fairy tale chapter book that combines traits of Alice in Wonderland and Goldilocks and the Three Bears stories. The text is a mix of dialogue bubbles and sentences. The illustrations are colorful and bright though they take up most of the page. This would work for students who are looking for humorous stories and may still be intimidated by the page count.
Jess
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute for the princess who didn't quite fit the mold

This was a fun read with cute and colorful pictures and the silly world of Fake Believe. Everything is just a little off, my favorite being the tunacorn :)
Nicola
Cool things:

Women of Colour
Female Characters
Intro to graphic novels
Girls can like being active and outdoors and bugs and not be into princesses or the colour pink

Negatives: For all of the intended the zany fun, I wasn't a big fan of the story itself.
Anna
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining early reader that uses children’s background knowledge of Goldilocks and the three bears to tell a story subverting gender norms and about female friendship. Kids also love the illustrations and graphic novel format.
Shannon A
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute take on the original Goldilocks fairytale with an added character and her own story. I'm not really sure about Princess Pink's backstory and how I feel about it. I do like how silly things become when she passes into her refrigerator and the mixed up fairytale world.
Lily Freebairn
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Me and my little brother love to read this together
Lyndsey
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
7 yo has fun reading this one to me. Taught her onomatopoeia! :)
Mary
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Absurd tales in bright color with lots of dialog balloons and action.
Monarch Nominee 2018
Kait
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very cute story. I can see why my 8 year old cousin has read them multiple times
Britt
Fun concept and illustratiosn, but some plot holes kept me from really like this one.
Jackie
An early chapter book that fractures the fairy tale Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Not really very funny or imaginative...I prefer sticking to the original story.
Roomyemma
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a really funny book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The School Is Alive! (Eerie Elementary #1)
  • A Woodland Wedding (Owl Diaries, #3)
  • Kiki: My Stylish Life (Lotus Lane, #1)
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • Eva Sees a Ghost (Owl Diaries, #2)
  • All Paws on Deck (Haggis and Tank Unleashed #1)
  • Class Pets (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe, #2)
  • Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1)
  • Eva and the New Owl (Owl Diaries, #4)
  • The Wildwood Bakery (Owl Diaries, #7)
  • Let's Get Cracking! (Kung Pow Chicken #1)
  • The Ember Stone (The Last Firehawk, #1)
  • Rise of the Earth Dragon (Dragon Masters #1)
  • Secret of the Water Dragon (Dragon Masters #3)
  • Baxter is Missing (Owl Diaries, #6)
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • Narwhal's Otter Friend (A Narwhal and Jelly Book, #4)
  • Picture Day (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe, #1)
Noah Z. Jones is an author/illustrator/animator who draws all sort of wacky oddities out of his home in Camden, Maine. After taking part in a monster-drawing contest in the fifth-grade (placing fourth out of five) he realized that he wanted to create art for a living.

As a kid, Noah Z. Jones' love for drawing was fueled by dinosaurs, monster movies, and the WACKY PACKAGES line of trading cards. He

Princess Pink and the Land of Fake-Believe (4 books)
  • Little Red Quacking Hood (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake Believe, #2)
  • The Three Little Pugs (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake-Believe, #3)
  • Jack and the Snackstalk (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake-Believe, #4)