Start by marking “Time for Me to Come Home” as Want to Read:
Time for Me to Come Home

Time for Me to Come Home

“It’s funny how going back can get you back to where you belong.
It’s the difference between just a melody and my favorite Christmas song.”

The fireplace is lit, the snow is falling, and sleigh bells echo in the distance—it’s Christmas, and it’s time to come home.

Thirty-five-year-old Heath Sawyer has finally made it to the big-time as a country music star. After a year full
Published October 29th 2013 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Time for Me to Come Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time for Me to Come Home

Nanette
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-to-movies
3.5*. Nice Christmas story. Ready to see the Hallmark movie coming this season, oh yeah, and Mr. Blake Shelton's mother did a nice job writing this story.
Nicole R
Ms. Shackleford was heavily inspired by her son when she wrote this book...her son, country music superstar Blake Shelton.

Heath Sawyer is a country music star....superstar. He just finished up his tour by playing to a packed crowd at Madison Square Garden on December 22nd. He is contemplating a trip to someplace hot and secluded for the holiday but is ultimately coerced into going back home to Oklahoma to spend Christmas with his mom and three sisters and their families. The first Christmas sinc
W.C. Bauers
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
In the spirit of full disclosure, I work for the publisher and read this in manuscript form. And, I know the co-author too - great guy by the way. And a great writer.

The storyline follows a fiction country superstar named Heath Sawyer who's running from his past by self-medicating (alcohol - for the entire book). Thrasher's novel delicately walks that fine line between casting Sawyer as a sympatheic character while honestly depicting his "punch-drunk" approach to life. In this regard Thrasher n
Amy Marbach
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every year around this time I pick a Christmas themed book- usually from the romance or chick lit genre to help me to get into the spirit of the holidays. This was my pick for the year and it was a good one.

I liked the premise of the book- musician Heath Sawyer is trying to get home to his mom for Christmas. She called him on the road to tell him was time for him to come home. He promised so he is doing his best to make it home to Oklahoma in time for Christmas. It is in the men's room of the ai
Beth Cutwright
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very easily read book, told in first person of the main character, Heath Sawyer. Heath, a famous country singer heads home for Christmas. He is amused by people recognizing him on occasion and their reactions to their recognition. He tries to be polite, but there are those that could be stalkers in their midst.

As life often does when you're in a hurry.Heath encounters one unbelievable mishap after another on his journey home. In my mind's eye, Heath sounded an awful like Blake Shelton
Kristi Lewis
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book! It was heartwarming, funny and the perfect story for Christmas! And now it is a movie that I am looking forward to seeing!
Melva Clark
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The book is based on a song by Blake Shelton. It was written by his mother. It is a sweet love story.
Geo Hendrick
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have not heard of the "Hit Song" or any of these people before.
Oh, What a beautiful story! I want someone to fall in love with me like that.
Elaine
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Written in the 1st person is a sweet/dad love story. Loved it.
Sherry
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Just needed small read between bigger books. Out filled the bill for s couple of hours, though I wouldn't go looking for another by this author. Not quite my style.
Marilyn Miles
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Always looking for a good Christmas story. This was one.
Judy Collins
Time for Me to Come Home was a wonderful and magical Christmas story by Dorothy Shackleford (Blake Shelton’s mother) and first novel. The novel is fictional; however, based on holiday memories the Grammy-nominated singer shares with his mom. His mom has written several songs, one of which is a song this novel was based on and appears on Shelton’s Christmas album, “Cheers, Its Christmas.”

Heath Sawyer - 35-year-old country singer from Oklahoma who realizes that he wants to be home for Christmas wh
Toni
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well I totally loved this book. It is by the amazing country singer Blake Shelton's mom. Note there is also some amazing anecdotes inspired by his mom Dorothy and Blake of course Love how is mom did her's and how Blake did his. Love how the book was put together so nicely how Dorothy arranged it. Tale of singer whom is trying to get home for Christmas but has a few challenges during a snow storm airplane issues, train issues, lots of different things he meets another lady from the beginning who ...more
Jenn O'Brien
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: holiday-books
As much as I love Christmas books, this one just felt sluggish. The storyline was easy enough to follow and the Murphy's Law of travel during the holidays is one that many of us can relate to. The best way to summarize this story is: planes, trains and automobiles with a country singer.

My main issue with this book was the disconnection. There were two pages that I'm still trying to figure out. Was the main character dreaming? If so, this was never explained in the book. And why add a dream seque
Matthew Murphy
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had originally chosen this book because it was written by Blake Shelton's mother, who co-wrote the song by the same name on his 2012 Christmas album. I am so happy I did!

The story was a great mixture of Planes, Trains and Automobiles mixed with It Happened One Night. The story reminds us of the importance of family and true friends, especially in the rush and chaos of our lives.

I will admit my thoughts are slightly biased since I am entering my first holiday season without my grandmother but
Suzy Manning
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc
Absolutely fantastic. Don't usually buy hardbacks, but saw this on the clearance table for less than paperback and couldn't resist a Christmas book by Blake Shelton's mother. The story is based on Shelton's Christmas hit song The story starts with star playing Madison Square Garden on the 23rd of December, then trying to make it back to Oklahoma by Christmas. There is woman he meats on the plane who shares his adventure. There are flight delays, a snow storm, a train wreck, people who help, and ...more
Galen Bohn
I really liked the book. It is about a country music superstar named Heath Sawyer. He finished a concert and decided to go home to his mom and family. He meets someone by the name of Cara Hill. Their flight is canceled. They meet off and onn over the course of the next day. They decide to travel together. Things happen on the way as they go home. They finally make it to their respective homes. He realizes he can't be without her.
Tami
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Kirkus Reviews said it all: "Nothing great or earth shattering, but a sweet, if clichéd, romantic Christmas tale that will warm some hearts."

The author is the mother of country music singer Blake Shelton, and the story is based on the song by the same name, written by Shelton and Shackleford. Had I realized that, I might have been less enthused to buy this book. I have Blake's Christmas album, "Cheers, It's Christmas", and I usually skip that track.
Jodi
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
i didn't realize this was by Blake Shelton's mom until I started to read it. I was looking for a nice Christmas themed book to kick off Christmas spirit. I'm so glad I found this one. I'm not too familiar with the song is based on but I've since listened to the song once I started into the book. I couldn't help but internalize Blake's voice as I was reading Heath's story. I really enjoyed this book -it mixed humor w/ a deeper moral to the story.
AppySpotGirl
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I was looking forward to a nice book to get me in the Christmas spirit. The writing was good and the humor expected if you are familiar with country/southern quips. I was a little disappointed that the story was predictable. I"m sure there was a deeper plot in the story but I'm afraid I missed it.
Wendy
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved the banter between the two main characters. It was fun to read. I also loved the little extras that Ms. Shackleford included about her son, Blake Shelton. I can just imagine the mischievous child he must have been! Overall, a well written enjoyable short Christmas read.
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A novel written by Blake Shelton's mom about a rising country star. Not quite a true story but familiar. A worthwhile holiday read, with chapters strung together by the mother's memories of her son through the years.
Erika Gutermuth
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this heartwarming story, filled with humor, adventure, tears, romance, music, home, family and so much love! I also enjoyed picturing Dorothy's darling son as Heath Sawyer! Couldn't help myself! ;). This book is a wonderful Christmas read! Merry Merry!
Jackie
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
ok.
Cindy
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a quick sweet story about two people trying to get home for Christmas.
Surfshellsg
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Blake Shelton's mom...made it a little more fun to read
Shari Carr
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very well written. Funny and just a nice story.
Marie Buccellato
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
A little slow for me- story needed more
Red
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the book I *should* have read before Christmas.
Jean
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Wimpy me cried at the end of this book.
  • Christmas with Tucker (A Dog Named Christmas #0.5)
  • Together for Christmas (Kismet, Michigan, #3)
  • The Puppy That Came for Christmas: How a Dog Brought One Family the Gift of Joy
  • The Snowman Maker
  • The Christmas Cookie Collection (Twilight, Texas, #4.1)
  • Paper Angels
  • One Snowy Night Before Christmas
  • A Cowboy Under My Christmas Tree
  • Blame it on Mistletoe (North Pole, Alaska #1)
  • The Night Before Christmas (Butternut Lake, #2.5)
  • Together for Christmas: 5-B Poppy Lane\When We Touch\Welcome to Icicle Falls\Starstruck
  • Once More With Feeling
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
  • Santa Mouse
  • The Christmas Ranch (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #13)
  • The Season of Us
  • Christmas For One (No Greater Love, #5)
  • Death of a Toy Soldier (Vintage Toyshop Mystery, #1)