Start by marking “The Cost of Bravery” as Want to Read:

Author: Allan Sparkes
Price: $29.99

'I was Humpty Dumpty at the bottom of the wall, my heart and the very soul of me shattered into a thousand pieces. I knew that my life was never going to be the same again. I also knew that if I did not get professional help, I'd soon be dead.'

Allan Sparkes didn't think twice about rescuing an 11-year-old boy from a floo
Published May 21st 2013 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Cost of Bravery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cost of Bravery

Start your review of The Cost of Bravery
Ngawang Khechog
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Like Exit Wounds by John Cantwell, The Cost of Bravery is a vivid and disturbing insight into the life of an incredibly courageous individual. It seems to me that bravery isn't so much about risking your life, but living it when every part of you wants to end it. I am very grateful to Allan for sharing his story with us. My opinion of men and women in uniform has been radically revised as a result. It should be compulsory reading in schools.

As for the writing itself,
Suzanne
May 28, 2013 marked it as wish-list
Shelves: 702
Listening to a radio interview with the author, he sounds like a brave and courageous man. Looking forward to reading it.
Karin Murton
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Allan Sparkes

Everyone should read this book; it’s an amazing story!
It’s gripping from the beginning, and once you start you can’t put it down. And once you’ve finished,…..you’ll never be the same again.
It made me laugh, and cry, and at times although I felt paralysed with fear, I was driven to keep turning the pages and read on. There were times throughout the journey I was painfully aware at how humbling and brutally honest Allan Sparkes was in retelling this part of his li
Meghan Douglas
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
This memoir grew on me. Written in the distinctive, colloquial voice of ex-cop Sparkes, it explores his journey back from PTSD and depression. Initially, I felt it was too much a series of events rather than a coherent narrative, but Sparkes managed to tie his recollections together into a moving portrait of a man fighting for his life.
Suzie Donaldson
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing read and an open and honest account from a person who clearly struggled with accumulated trauma's in life. It does take you on a roller coaster of emotions and you actually feel this through out the book. As a partner of a person affected with this I related both ways. Al's recount of what he has gone through really does show how well he has come along in his recovery and to be able to share his life story and in turn I believe this will help more people understand people ...more
Cherina Gray
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"A true story that inspires hope."
Highly recommended!

My husband and I read The cost of bravery to each other in bed at night...and it was quality time together.
We felt as if we were on a journey with Allan and his family, as the account unfolded to us its pages.
It was both heart wrenching and heart-warming to learn of Allan's traumatic journey into emotional decline and see his immense courage and ability to draw his family around him despite tremendous obstacles.
The cost of bravery is a touch
Geoffrey Walburn
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great book that should be read by everyone, what Allan went through and came out of is northing short of amazing. I am sure his story will be an inspiration and help to a lot of people. Well done.
Birgit
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book very interesting, a real insight into PTSD and resultant depression. I'm so glad he got help and got himself back together again, shame that his superiors weren't there for him.
Olwen
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I am in awe of this man's courage: Not just for what he accomplished in his work, but for his courage to reveal his mental illness and just what that was like. An amazing story.
Maria
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ptsd, police
The Cost of Bravery by Allan Sparkes is a must read for Law Enforcement, their families and anyone interested in policing. It is honest, powerful and has brought me tears of sadness and joy. PTSD, as with other psychological conditions, are understated battles people face made even worse if you are a police officer. His courage throughout his ordeal should be commended. His resilience and strength to overcome it should be celebrated. It gives you hope and even though I’m a civilian, it was the f ...more
Brittany
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
where do I begin? A story of a man and his family taking tragedy and turning it into a beautiful opportunity to travel the world upon their trusty yacht, Sunboy. giving a rare insight into the ins and outs of the Australian police force as well as the frustrations of a society that still has a limited understanding of mental illness, Allan's story is one that as you read it you are in shock and awe of what he has gone through both physically and mentally. Truly an inspirational and moving story. ...more
Pauleen
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bravery Indeed

This is an insight into the daily lives of police everywhere. Not all will share the gamut of such extreme circumstances and demands for courage, but none know what will confront them each day. The social avoidance of mental illness and the reluctance to deal with it is evident, as is its cost. We need to do better in this regard especially to those in the varied professions which experience this level of trauma in their jobs.
Janet Narrier
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this book, a good read. Good to see that Allan was able to get through all the dark days that threatened him. What a lovely strong wife he has.
A
Aug 09, 2014
Sooby Harrison
Nov 18, 2013
PAMELA WATERS
rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2014
Oct 04, 2016
Gayle
Jun 24, 2013

• My Story
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • Women Kind: Unlocking the Power of Women Supporting Women
  • Lost Without You
  • Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1)
  • The Seafront Tea Room
  • Any Ordinary Day: Blindsides, Resilience and What Happens After the Worst Day of Your Life
  • To Love and Let Go