Start by marking “Human Frailties (Guardians of the Leythe 0.5)” as Want to Read:
Human Frailties (Guardians of the Leythe 0.5)

Human Frailties

(Guardians of the Leythe #1)

Dear Author,

Darkness has been a part of my life since I can remember.

I never understood why it was so hard for me to be part of the bright world. The Internet couldn’t satisfy my need, so I went to this arcane little book shop. The old hag behind the counter gave me a book, where she said I might find the answers to my questions.

Supp
ebook, 1 edition, 138 pages
Published May 26th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Human Frailties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human Frailties

Tully Vincent
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashnavayarian was a powerful, god-like being of the leythe, the place from which magical energies emanate. But Ash has been a bad boy. His thoughtless, selfish meddling and manipulating has led to a war and disturbances within the leythe. Ash needs to be taken down a peg or two, so the goddess Jhara punishes him by forcing him to live in human form with most of his power stripped from him. She hopes he’ll learn that using other creatures for his own amusement isn’t right and that some of the thi ...more
Bookwatcher
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, erotica, glbt-gay
Many thoughts now... let me try to get it all in order in something that resemble a review.

FIRST, let me tell you something you may not know. You can read half of this book for free
This book is the expanded version of a freebie Human Frailties, click here to download it.
It was born as a "short", but now there is this version, with part I (Human Frailties, the freebie) and Human Strengths, the part 2.

I start reading the freebie, and love it so much I got the complete story Human Frailties, Human
Tully Vincent
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Very enjoyable read. . . loved the witty dialogue between the two characters. Well written. Excellent world building. I enjoyed the characters. Ash was such as ass for a long part of this book, that I barely had time to start accepting that he might be ok guy before it ended. There was very little background on Tor, but I really liked him despite that. This is a free first part of a longer novel Human Frailties, Human Strengths which I plan to read soon. I NEED to read the rest of the ...more
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
As rather interesting read I suppose, but not one that was particularly engrossing or enjoyable. The characters weren't particularly grabbing or loveable (I didn't like Tor till the end) and a rather unbelievable development in romance. Their romance was tinged with a little dub-con (though really, that's just a nicer way of saying rape that isn't brutal and forceful). Mind you, I'm okay with reading dub-con and I can tolerate non-con, however this was a particular sneaky shade of it I didn't li ...more
Sunny
What an amazing story! The world building, the development of the characters and their relationship, it all flowed so smoothly while keeping me riveted until the end. Tor and Ash came alive for me and I love how their actions and banter fit their personalities so consistently. Great combination of humor and suspense, I can't wait to read the sequel.
Eli Easton
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not normally much of a fantasy reader, but I really enjoyed this story. The writing is smooth and the characters were interesting. I liked the fact that one of the MCs was ruthless initially and was quite the anti-hero. You don't see that often in romance, but Jaye pulled it off. I suspect there will be a sequel and I will be waiting for it.
Vio
Oct 03, 2013 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
40% off at Smashwords until October 30 using coupon code GL98D, thanks to Melanie.
Sunny
Great fantasy/adventure with awesome world building. I liked how we learn about the leythe, the energy matrix, and the void. Details like leythe-bonds and leythe-storms added interesting layers.

The characterizations were well done, especially with Ash. So arrogant, furious about his punishment, infuriating in his words and actions. Tor wasn't as clearly drawn for me. I would have liked more time with his POV because I didn't understand his attachment to Ash outside of the leythe-bond and if the
Lia Black
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of an advanced peek at this baby, and it has come very far from its humble beginnings as a shorter story posted for the LHNB anthology.
Jaye McKenna has created a fascinating world with some very compelling characters who move through a well-crafted, emotion-rich story.
There is no definite good and evil here, although sometimes the motivations of some of the characters lean decidedly towards the “dark side”. It brings the characters to life because, like real people, sometime
Kathleen

I set this book aside back in Feb 2016 because I thought it was just going to be another PWP. After reading and loving another of this author's series, I decided to revisit this story. So glad I did!

Great world building, finely crafted characters, clever plot, beautiful prose, well edited. It appears McKenna has written more stories in this universe and I can hardly wait to discover them.
Carole-Ann
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-yummies
I SO wanted to like this: the premise is good, the writing is good......

But I hated Ash. Tor is so alone, puzzled, has a deep strength he doesn't recognise; and loveable!
Ash is arrogant (as he was meant to be) but even when he realised he was actually feeling things for Tor, he didn't DO anything to redeem himself.

Only 90+ pages to read, but it took me 3 DAYS!! Sorry!
Melanie~~
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing world building! Thanks for an amazing story. I sure hope there is more someday soon!

[NOTE: I rate most writing event stories (free reads) 4 or 5 stars because of my appreciation of the author's participation.]
Bookwatcher
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. So good I got both, this freebie, love it and after read the extended book, with the second part. For a full review look mine review of both parts, 1 and 2.
Rachel
7/1/18 Currently FREE at the Smashwords summer sale: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
Isindia
Plot ***
The romance part of the book is complete, an adventure part is introduced and ends on a cliffhanger. A human, Tor, is sucked into an alternative world where he meets a sorcerer, Ash, a godlike creature, trapped in a human body. Soon after they meet they discover that they share a soul bond. Whereas Ash is thoroughly disgusted to be bonded to a weak, inferior human creature, he is also thrilled to find out, that he can use Tor to escape his own insufferable predicament.
Besides Tor he need
Julesmarie
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, free, dritc-lhnb
This was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the transition from the contemporary to the fantasy settings, it made the fantasy world just that much more interesting for some reason.

I enjoyed Tor's character, and really felt for him and how lonely he was at the start. Experiencing the world he got taken to through his eyes was fun.

I can't help wishing that the leythe were a little better explained. Because it was mentioned with the Void a few times, and because it's similar to Lethe, I kept picturing it as a
Matthew
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Very interesting concept. I would love to read more of these characters and this world. There was a lot put into this short, free story. A nerd from this world is transported by a wish to another world, where he meets a god stuck in human form who has a history of not caring about humanity. The human is in love at first sight... the god finds that they are annoyingly magically bonded, but takes advantage of the opportunity for good sex that his human body enjoys and craves, only to find himself ...more
M'rella
The book follows adventures of Ash and Tor in an Earth-like world. Ash is a demon who was turned into human to learn how to be one and hopefully correct his own mistakes that resulted in a disaster for this particular universe.

Tor was given to Ash by a higher being, a "Mother" to all, to guide and help him through the process.

As much as I liked this story, the writing was not all that solid, though not bad either. There were extra characters that felt more like ghosts, rather a solid presence.
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4 Stars
Recommended by friends, I enjoyed the world building, story and characters. Ash was a spoiled ass and his plots had long-range consequences which is why Jhara reined him in. Tor needed to find his place and his strengths.

The world building was interesting but not over my head. Interesting details about leythe bonds and storms. Would definitely read more from this author.

Rachel Emily
Gotta love a character who is an ass and can redeem himself before the end of the story! I just loved the world building in this. I loved Tor and by the end of the story felt ok with Ash...I really liked him by the end of the story. I definitely could read more about these two in this world, and it seems to set things up for future stories. I hope so, as I really liked the author's writing. Thanks for a wonderful, complex story!
Ambre
Jun 26, 2015 rated it did not like it

I pretty much hate any book in which authors tie characters to people who aren't nice to them with artificial (in this case supernatural) bonds and declare romance.

When one character is unkind to another character, and the victim responds with neediness and groveling because "magic," my response is an automatic DNF.

I read this book in an omnibus with its sequel, so I'm not sure whether I DNFed it before or after the end of this story.
Tam
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy

I'm only not giving it 5 because there is so much more I want to know. The author promises more to come. I was totally caught up in the story and it's such a nice long one with lots of rich detail. There are also some amazingly funny lines, and Ash is a total dick, who manages to redeem himself. Definitely worth the time it takes to read. Super job on interpreting the picture.
Teresa
I really enjoyed this. I had read the first half when it was published by itself and really liked seeing the rest of the story. I loved how Ash grew as a person and how the two fit. I'm not sure I liked the sword bit, but it worked ok.
Gabbo Parra
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jaye took a thought and made it a journey.

The characters are not just believable but lovable (assholeness included). You can put yourself in their shoes and understand their mistakes and feel the redemption as if it was yours.

Highly recommend it!
Meggie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I can't decide between liking or disliking this fantasy. Partly it was an interesting piece of work with the ending of HFN. But mostly I wasn't satisfied with the whole storyline. Something was definitely odd with the whole concept in this story.
K
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a re-read after finishing reading the Guardians of the Pattern series. Nice to revisit the beginning of things and remember how Ash and Tor became who they are.
Lia Black
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent first story for a talented emerging writer! Jaye McKenna's world building and memorable characters make this the first book in what I hope will be a long and satisfying series.
Bookbee
Fantasy is not generally a favourite genre for me... BUT... this was FABULOUS! The characters were so well developed and the world building was some of the best I've read! Can't wait for a sequel!
« previous 1 3 next »

• #First Impressions #Second Chances
  • The Sentinel
  • Six
  • Falling Away
Jaye McKenna was born a Brit and was dragged, kicking and screaming, across the Pond at an age when such vehement protest was doomed to be misinterpreted as a “paddy”. She grew up near a sumac forest in Minnesota and spent most of her teen years torturing her parents with her electric guitar and her dark poetry. She was punk before it was cool and a grown-up long before she was ready. Jaye writes ...more

Guardians of the Leythe (2 books)
  • Human Choices (Guardians of the Leythe, #2)