Start by marking “Norse Jewel (Norse, #1)” as Want to Read:

Norse Jewel

(Norse #1)

Alternate cover for ISBN 9781622662234

AD 1022

A stolen woman of rare qualities…

Seized by marauders and taken to the icy northlands by the wolf-eyed Viking warrior, Helena will do whatever it takes to earn her freedom and return to France.

A mighty Viking Chieftain…

Published November 1st 2016 by NYLA (first published June 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Norse Jewel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Norse Jewel

Start your review of Norse Jewel (Norse, #1)
Mei
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, netgalley
I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review.

A solid strait romance.
The book flowed nicely and the tone of voice was precisely what I expected. I had the feeling of being there: on the ship, in front of the longhouse, at the Glima… It was really well described.

At the beginning of the book we are led to think Hakan a bloodthirsty Viking. He’s imposing, authoritative, tall, blond with icy blue eyes, but he’s also very, very attractive.

Helena is a Frank woman stolen during a Dane’s

Romance Rating ~ 3.5 Stars
Heat Level ~ 2 Stars
End Rating ~ 3 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this book! The story was well thought out, interesting, and the author must have done extensive research, because I was quite impressed with her knowledge of Vikings.

The hero Hakan, was everything you could want from a hero. He was a handsome hulking Viking chieftain warrior, who was
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is utterly unputdownable (yes, it merits the creation of its own word!). I was enthralled by the world Ms. Conkle created and the very distinct personalities of the characters. Helena is a smart, caring, beautiful woman in a situation that was out of her control. She kept true to herself throughout the book despite facing several situations that could have easily broken her down. Hakan was a pleasant surprise for although he is very authoritative and sexy, he was tempered with care and ...more
Cerian
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally published at The Rookie Romance Blog.

Who doesn't love a good Viking romance! Norse Jewel is a great example of viking romance done right.

Helena is captured by the merciless Danes on a raid in her Frankish village. She's desperate to escape the Danes, and turns to Hakan, a Viking chieftain, for help. Hakan buys her, and returns to his home to settle as a peaceful farmer. Unfortunately, other people have different ideas about what Hakan should be doing.
Once at Hakan's home, the
Regan Walker
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
First Installment in an Intriguing Viking Story?

Set in 1022, the story begins in the “land of the Franks” (today’s France, since she lived near Paris). It tells of Helena from the village of Aubergon who was taken in a raid by the Danes and is now to be sold as a slave. Norse chieftain Hakan the Tall of Svea (the word means Swede so perhaps he’s from Sweden), is tired of war and intends to become a farmer. He wants to buy a slave to teach him Frankish and help him in his wine trade.

I found the
Reader
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A VIKING CAPTIVE

Captured by Danish raiders, then sold to a Viking Chieftain, Hakan. Helena a Frankish woman is determined to gain her freedom or escape. But Hakan takes her far accross the sea to his homeland of Svea. Haken has served his king well throughout his life, and now wishes to return and tend his farm. He admires Helena's stubbornness and bravery. Most are cowed by his reputation and physical presence. But Hakan is distrustful of all women especially after his disastrous marriage.
Taria Reed

I actually liked the book. I thought Helena was a special kind of stupid for wanting to go back home to her betrothed. ESPECIALLY since he didn't do shit to safeguard her when the town was invaded or try to rescue her when he realized she was taken.ESPECIALLY WHEN Hacan did nothing but treat her with respect and kindness. Hacan was actually pretty damn sexy but I wished we got into his head a bit more other than him lamenting over his shrew of an ex-wife.

The reason I'm giving this 2 stars is
Nola Arganbright
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A true love story that left me in awe. The gentle giant, Lord Hakan, who wants leave the life of roaming and fighting to return to his land and family and his thrall Helena match wits to follow their individual dreams.
The history of the era and area have been researched and are described in excellent detail. The reader is a part of the village and experiences with the characters.
The characters are strong, intelligent and memorable.
The Norse Jewel is must read for Historical Romance readers and
L Avery Brown
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance lovers, Action Romance lovers, Women, AND...Men!
Recommended to L Avery by: I was asked to read for a blog tour
Typically, romance novels aren't my 'thing' but after reading Gina Conkle's 'Norse Jewel'...I might have to reconsider! Whoever knew Vikings could be so...so...sexy!

***

The following comes from my Review Blog Site 'The Magnolia Blossom Review' It's a 10 point review AND an interview to boot! If you'd like to read the INTERVIEW portion (which is actually intermingled with the review...please visit my blogsite www.magnoliablossomreview.blogspot.com)

And now for the Review...

1) Book Title 9 of 10

Lail
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Norse Jewel by Gina Conkle
I loved this book! The author expertly crafted an intoxicating storyline with a delightfully intrepid heroine who was stolen from her village during a raid by the Danish, and was taken as a slave. In danger of being returned to the brutal Dane who enslaved and cut her face, she desperately seeks to find and persuade a better or gentler master, if such a thing exists, before the Dane returns for her.
With time run out she pleads with a Norman warrior to take her with him.
Heather
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely Viking book.

I really enjoyed this book. The characters were great. Didn't like how it ended but that just makes you want to jump into the next book to find out how they deal.

It ends with the happy couple but everything is not perfect.

Jody
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Norse Jewel is set during a unique time period which adds an extra element of exotic intrigue to a surprisingly romantic and suspenseful story. The author has created a story that flows at a nice pace allowing the main couple plenty of time to form their relationship while allowing the suspense of who's the real enemy to take many twists and turns. While the conclusion is satisfying it does end on a cliffhanger that leaves you wanting more and guarantees your return visit to this vividly ...more
Shirley Buchanan
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Throughout history, lands have been invaded, pillaged, and burned by invading armies or marauding bands of heartless, cruel men. Stealing goods, livestock, and humans, these conquerors were often depicted as cruel, unjust men, but occasionally a just, honorable, and kind man was found. Fierce in battle, revered by his comrades, and honored by his king, Haken was just such a man.

Weary of the constant demands of his ex-wife to relinquish her hold over his son, Haken constantly sailed on voyage
Leeanna
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, e-book
This review first appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me. Make sure to check out my interview with the author, too.

==

If you’ve read any of my reviews before, you may know I’m not the biggest fan of romance. I usually skip novels that are solely romance, but NORSE JEWEL caught my eye because it was about Vikings. VIKINGS!

Captured by the Danes, Helena desperately wants to regain her freedom and return to her homeland and her betrothed. She can’t believe that she is now a thrall — a slave. But when
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on July 25th 2013:

Fluttering Thoughts:
Worldbuilding: Awesome, awesome, awesome! Historical elements were gorgeous, we’re talked vikings, Danes, Frankia, the works! Super well-done historical setting, loved all the cultural elements, everything.
Characters: Hakan was amazing. I’ll confess to casting Alexander Skarsgård in Hakan’s role, because seriously, will we ever hear the word ‘viking’, the Tall no less, and picture anything else? Yumm… as I was
Farrah
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Since Viking romances are rare in the world of romance, I get really excited when I find one. I LOVE Viking romances, and when I found this book, I have to admit that I fangirled a little. So, I was expecting a lot from Norse Jewel. And it definitely lived up to my expectations! This book was fantastic, sweetly romantic, and a brilliant read.

Helena was a lovely heroine. She's a proud woman and refuses to accept her new life as a slave. On one hand, I admired her bravery in never backing down. On
Gina Conkle
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: romance
I love the complex nature of the alpha male hero in this story. A Viking who wants to lay down his sword and farm? A man like that needs exploring. :-D

What does the wolf-eyed Viking want?

Hakan the Tall journeys home to Svea (Sweden) and on the way buys a thrall to keep his home and teach him Frankish. The Viking plans to do some wine trading with the Franks. His search for an older, competent woman meets with a stolen woman, Helena. She's all wrong for him: young, lovely, and when she looks at
Janna Shay
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sweet Viking romance with sexual tension and chemistry

Norse Jewel is an entertaining, Viking/historical love story that will hold the reader’s attention. Gina Conkle weaves her magic as she writes a tale of romance between a Viking Chieftain and his Frankish slave.

Helena is a Frankish woman, who was captured by Danish marauders then sold as a thrall to a Viking Chieftain named Hakan. Taken across the sea to Svea, Hakan’s homeland, Helena finds her life as a thrall (slave) on Hakan’s farm is not
pinK
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
On a rare occasion I enjoy a book so much that it invades my dreams. This was one of those occasions. Perhaps I was just able to relate to Helena so much since we share a name, but I absolutely loved this book and now am on a quest to find more books similar to it.

The story and imagery portrayed in this book are fantastic. I loved the descriptions of the Norse land and homes. Just from the descriptions, I craved to live in a more simple time! The descriptions of the beautiful clothes that
Zili
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it

Norse Jewel is a fun work of historical fiction, which is both informative and interesting. It is the love story between Helena (a Frankish woman who is abducted by the Danes and forced into slavery) and Hakan (a Viking Chieftain). If you look at the cover I'm sure you'll understand why I was expecting a somewhat smutty story, but instead Gina Conkle focuses on building tension (both dramatic and sexual) and developing the love story.

Helena realises her only way to escape the cruel Danes is to
Nicky Peacock
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A few years ago I discovered that I was descended from Vikings, on my mother’s side – so I have a real soft spot for any novel set in this time period. And even if I hadn’t, I still would have really enjoyed Norse Jewel. Well written believable characters and a love story that developed, rather than was just hammered in quickly. It really felt like you were on the same romantic ride as the characters of Hakan and Helena. I’m not a historian, but it also felt very authentic and that a lot of ...more
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
Stolen from her home and her betrothed, Helena is tied to the ground and up for sale as a thrall. A servant for a household and any other needs a man sees fit. Helena, in a move to save her dowry lashes out at a man and winds up with her face slit. She keeps her dowry but now her safety is in jeopardy as night begins to fall and her capture has insured the awful man who scared Helena can now have her. Hope springs when Viking chieftain Hakan appears looking for an old woman to see after his ...more
Nancy
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Premise:

AD 1022

A stolen woman of rare qualities…

A mighty Viking Chieftain…

Betrayal has turned Hakan’s heart to ice, but the spirited Frankish maid warms him in a way he’s never known. The spell she weaves leaves them both breathless, but can he keep his promise to return her home even if it means he’ll lose his precious jewel
Vikki
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Norse Jewel through Netgalley for a honest review. The story line in this book was well written and enjoyable. You can tell Gina did her homework on Viking history. I fell in love with chieftain Hakan and Helena's story. The only complaint I have is that I would have liked to see more steamy romance between them.

Hakan is a well known Viking chieftain that wants to put his days of battle behind him and find peace on his farm back home. As Hakan is seeking out supplies for his
Erica
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing

It just came upon me that I hadn't reviewed this book yet, and I have no idea why. I ADORED IT. Fans of historical romance, especially historical romance that is very different than the majority of historical romance out there. A dashing hero, a spitfire of a heroine, and a great romance - what more do you need?

The characters are fantastic - Hakan is an awesome hero, and I loved that Helena is a really strong heroine as well, especially in a time where she has almost no power in this
Clare O'Beara
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This tale of a Norseman who buys a Frankish thrall is well researched and full of lively contrast.
The chieftain Hakan is keen to buy Helena because she speaks a smattering of other languages, useful in trading. He wants to settle to a life of farming. Helena at first longs to return home, to her impoverished village, but has to make the best of her new life, including making her skills at weaving wool and linen valuable. In the Northland she faces dangers as well as friendship.

Unlike many
Tabby Shiflett
This work is a well-written historical romance that pulls you in right from the start. I love the detail that the author includes of Norse lifestyle and all the characters, main or supporting, are intriguing. A worthy leading male and good story-telling make this book a must-read for lovers of Viking romances.

Net Galley Feedback
Norse Jewel
Gina Conkle
Sin
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Norse Jewel was fantastic.

Helena is a Frankish woman who was taken by the Danes.

Hakan is a Norse man whom buys and rescues her.

They travel to his homeland Seva. Helena is a thrall (which is a slave) All she wants is her freedom & to go back home to her betrothed.

Hakan wishes his son to live with him instead of his ex & vows never to marry again nor to get involved with a thrall.

This story has: love, betrayal, romance, humor and heartache. You will laugh & cry along with these two.

I
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
Audiobook: Wasn't impressed. No chemistry between the leads. Plot was flatter than a pancake. Helena was whiny and indecisive. Hawkin had potential but even he was dense. I sensed the 'danger' that presents itself towards the end of the book a mile away. I have enjoyed other books by Gina Conkle yet this is the only one I didn't enjoy and I love Viking stories! Braden Wright did a good job narrating.

I can't see myself recommending this to anyone. Sorry.

Story: 1
Narration: 1
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 01, 2017 04:53PM

• Viking's Prize
  • Overload Flux (Central Galactic Concordance #1)
  • Heart of a Viking
  • The Red Wolf's Prize (Medieval Warriors, #1)
  • Eye of Danger (Tiger's Eye Mystery #4)
  • Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels, #6)
  • Wicked Wings (Lizzie Grace, #5)
  • Wolf's Bane (Otherworld: Kate and Logan, #1)
  • Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)
  • Shanna
  • Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8)
  • The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7)
  • Maidensong (Songs of the North, #1)
  • The Seducer (Viking Warriors Book, #5)
  • Saxon Lady (Conqueror, #2)
  • Vengeance Hammer
  • This Side of Heaven
  • Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9)
Gina Conkle writes evocative Viking romance and lush Georgian romance with a new series in the works, featuring hot Scots in kilts.

Her Viking books have been described as “sensual…atmospheric page turners” and her Georgian novels as “sparkling…” and “full of... clever repartee.” Inspiration came from growing up in southern California where she discovered a love for books over beaches. Gina lives

Norse (4 books)
  • To Find a Viking Treasure (Norse Series Book 2)
  • To Steal a Viking Bride (Norse #2.5)
  • To Heal a Viking Heart (Norse, #3)
“Hakan was a chieftain ready for battle. Fear, the haze of it like when the Danes had attacked her village, skittered across her skin.
"Break the fast with me," she pleaded softly.
He hooked a finger under her chin. "You've convinced me to do many things I've not done before." He looked at the trees where her loom sat idle. "Like spend a summer day in the shade, and now you want me to keep my ship, my men, waiting. What will you have me do next?"He paused as if drinking in the sight of her. He hadn't shaved, and his jaw bore several days' growth. She itched to know the feel of those blonde whiskers. Her lips parted with bold, unspoken invitation.”
0 likes
“Helena smiled to herself, knowing they were discussing her...
"Even though she makes me a farmer?"
"She makes you a happy farmer.”
0 likes