Start by marking “A Demon Bound (Imp, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Demon Bound (Imp, #1)

A Demon Bound

(Imp #1)

Samantha Martin is an imp, enjoying an extended vacation from Hel. All she wants to do is drink beer by the pool, play mischievous pranks on the humans, and get her hot neighbor in the sack. It’s a relaxing break from her infernal home, as long as she manages to avoid the angels, who won’t hesitate to execute her on sight.

But when her naughty hellhound lands her in trouble
Published May 2013 by Anessa Books (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Demon Bound, please sign up.
Tamara Hull Debra said on her website there will be ten in this series but there are a number of spin-off books featuring secondary characters, so far this includ…moreDebra said on her website there will be ten in this series but there are a number of spin-off books featuring secondary characters, so far this includes the Half Breed and Imp World series.(less)

Start your review of A Demon Bound (Imp, #1)
Sԋҽʅʅყ ƚԋҽ Wҽιɾԃ αɳԃ Wαɳԃҽɾιɳɠ Wαɾɾισɾ
This ended up being fantastic! How fun and refreshing. A female demon about a thousand years old, most of whose "true forms" don't include lips, takes the human form of a 40-year old, likes men and women (of all sizes), is hilarious, acts like a demon, I could go on...

The pacing in the beginning was a little slow, but this. I LIKEY. A lot. I'm seeing things here I haven't seen in urban fantasies. A humorous irreverence that is appealing. You don't see the typical stereotypes here.

Two HOT guys (
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“I could hardly tell him I was obsessed with him and that he better get used to me stalking him like a creeper in a white van.”

4.5 Star

A very funny, unique Urban Fantasy opening - Samantha isn't an imp who pretends to be a good person. She's slipped out of Hel over forty years ago and since then has become a successful slum lord. She keeps her powers under the radar so as not to attract the attention of avenging angels, and she mainly spends her day flirting with her next door neighbor who has
Adina
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy-pr
I read this last year when I was trying to find a replacement for my beloved Kate Daniels series and I forgot to review it.

I enjoyed it enough to want to read the 2nd volume. It was light, funny, sexy and packed enough action. Good to read when I needed a break from something more serious or my sleep deprived brain was not working too well.

Samantha is a demon who is taking a 40 years vacation on earth. She is somewhere in the middle of the pack rank wise in Hell but her power seems to be bigge
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
RTC.

Demons are super yummy. And this particular beer-loving, mischief-bent, out-to-jump-her-neighbour imp sounds pretty awesome.

This book is free on Amazon. So who gives a damn if these particular demons aren't super yummy, this particular imp pretty awesome, and this ends up being Glorious DNFing Material (GDM™)? I sure don't. Well that might change when I read the book and find out it has Kill it with Fire Potential (KiwFP™), but until then, demons shall be potentially yummy and crustacean
Sláinte Wanderlust
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book..

I mean, it had great reviews.. a high rating.. but I never expected it to be

I have already purchased the next two books in the series, which i am now going to book binge myself on.
Because.. (to the book)
Ivie dan Glokta
You know what i loved about this book? The main character was a demon for fuck's sake! And not the reformed kind either. She was vulgar, mean, nasty, and a liar. Guess what? It worked for her. On top of it all the novel was funny.

This book is a breath of fresh air in the PNR/UF scene. Sure the heroine is kickass but then all of them are, just so far removed from the solid moral codes the rest of them follow.

Being in a mind of a creature that has no moral standards whatsoever, and watching sexua
Denisa
3.5 Well, what do we have here!

I see great potential in this one!

I admit, it takes a while to get used to the MC (the demon chick), she's a bit different than the usual ones. But God, I love her! I need more! Now!
Marianne

★★★★★★ STARS

First of all: gorgeous new cover! I am sure it will attract more new readers.

Even though this book didn't have that many ratings, I was intrigued by the blurb and decided to try it. I am so glad I did. What a fun little story. Fast paced, witty and original.

For once, the demon isn't entirely the "bad gal", and angels aren't always virtuous. Can't wait to read more about Gregory, his bound demon Sam, and her semi-Owned human pet, Wyatt;-) (Gotta love the pecking order, though. From
Pippa DaCosta
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so much fun.

Sam is an imp. She’s been living on the down-low as a forty-something human woman, enjoying what she hopes to be a permanent vacation away from Hel.

But when Sam accidentally-on-purpose kills a werewolf, and an angel starts snooping around her neighbourhood, her little human charade is under threat. And she can’t have that. She hasn’t managed to get her hot neighbor in the sack yet. You don’t throw that kind of opportunity away.

A Demon Bound is a witty urban fantasy romp. S
Lexxi Kitty
If I remember to look it up I can get the date I got this book, but, and the point – I somewhat randomly spotted this book, noticed it looked vaguely interesting and, a plus, it was free! Then I took a month or two before I got around to trying it. And I only did because I saw someone make a comment about the book and I suddenly realized that I owned it already so I should try it.

“Samantha Martin is an imp” – is the beginning of the book description. ‘Samantha Martin’ is kind of an odd name for
Cheryl
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooowheeeee! This was a great ride of a read - a dark urban fantasy with humour, snarkiness and a touch of crass sexiness (which is to be expected when the MC is a demony imp). Of course, there's also the obligatory Angel who, as we all know, are generally a bunch of sanctimonious dicks!
An awesome start to a new series and introduction to a new author for me.
Aisling Zena
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
3.5 stars.
When I read Charley Davidson, this sort of heroine was what I was expecting. She intrigued me.
This was a good beginning to a series. I loved the author's sarcastic style of writing Samantha. She is a demon so had a condescending view of humans and a blaze view on sex with humans and the effect on that human.

The shifters were undeveloped, and I thought the author was setting up a love triangle. It didn't really come out that way but I still loved Wyatt the most.

I'll listen book 2 soon.
Nicole
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Buddy read with the lovely Aisling!

It's one of those books where the ending can somehow change your mind about the book. It is pretty good, yet it can't undo the other things about the book. I won't spoil it for you, but I should say the that the closing id pleasant. That is why my critiques here would be about the first part. When I started reading this book, I thought cool, a demon heroine, that's new! Honestly, I had no idea what to expect so I am not disappointed. It isn't entertaining or en
Amyiw
4 1/2
This was really, really fun for me. The humor might not be for everyone but it hit just right for me. It starts a bit slowly with character and world building but by 1/3 the plot moved forward plenty fast for me, with the humor as buffer between any transitions. It was great. I thought the plot was pretty good as well as the 4 characters that were developed pretty well.

Does it have romance, hmm... well she pretty much flirts with everyone, equal opportunity. She loves making those uncomfort
Holly
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I stuck with this one after a rough start. At first I had a really hard time connecting with Sam. She is NOT human and her demonic ways were a bit tough for me to swallow. I found her dalliances with her neighbor a little bit silly and was ready to give up on the book. But once the angel characters were introduced the action and mystery really picked up and I was hooked. I can't wait to read book 2. I like how every paranormal character (angels, demons, werewolves) are a-typical from ...more
Jeanny
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While reading this book I found myself having giggle fits. It was unexpectedly funny, I enjoyed reading about Sam & her adventures. She is a mischievous imp with a soft spot for humans. I'll continue this series & look forward to my adventure in this intriguing world in book 2 satan's sword. ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A Demon Bound (Imp #1) by Debra Dunbar is an awesome book about an imp living here pretending to be a human. She collects rent from those places that no one wants to go to because you could get your head caved in. She collects the money fine. She has to avoid angels, they will execute her on site. So, what happens, angel! It is a kick butt story with suspense, action, humor, weres, demons, a hot neighbor, her hellhound, and lots of twists. Great read!
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
3.5 Stars

A refreshing look at demons. A female demon that actually acts like a demon....how surprisingly original. Reminds me a bit of Georgina Kincaid, but with a lot more spark and snark. And funny, too. On to the next.
Lea
I expected this book to be horrible (I mean, it is an amazon freebie, and we all know how dangerous those can be), but I was very, very pleasantly surprised to find that this was, in fact, one of the best books I've read this year. And I've read 170 already.
Granted, some things could be better. Great news, these things do get better in the following books! Isn't that amazing?

So, what makes this book so good, you ask.
1: The MC is a demon who actually acts like a demon. How novel! That's right peo
Shanna Matheo
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-da-kindle

Okay, I'm into it...
Holly
Samantha is a demon, an Imp to be exact. She likes living on Earth instead of the demon realm so she has literally stolen a 40 year old woman's body (not possessed, but rather she owns it now) and poses as human in an effort to stay under the angels' radar, under punishment of death if she is discovered. Samantha tries to reign her innate powers in as much as possible, but her imp sense of humor can't be so easily contained. I really enjoyed her character - she's morally ambiguous, she
Andrea
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5

Re-read

description

“There is equal beauty in the things called horrific. The act of destruction is an expression of beauty, too. I destroyed the bottle to make the horse. Is a pretty glass horse worth the loss of a bottle, but the sound of shattered glass and bits flying through the air isn’t? Is transformation only worthy if you approve of the end result?”
Leni Iversen
This is one of the more addictive series I have come across. I've spent three weeks practically living in the Imp World, and I feel a bit at a loss now that I have binged my way through the entire extended series. I have rated most of the books three stars, with a couple of four stars and several with no rating, which might seem a bit low for a series that I clearly like a lot. But it is very rare for me to rate a book five stars, and I have issues with the whole five star rating system. So I de ...more
Cindy
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not a romance story

Sam is an exciting and adventurous character. She isn't evil but she definitely isn't good. At least most of the time. I love the characters in this world and the relationship she has with Wyatt is hot and funny. However her relationship with Gregory is the exact opposite. They fight, give death threats, and have a continuous back and forth love and hate thing going on. I wouldn't consider this a romance at all but there is something there just waiting to be explored.
RedL.
4,5 I WANNA BE AN IMP TOO! Stars

I liked practically everything about this book. Go and grab it till it's free!

End of review.

I could actually end it here, but I'm too wordy for that.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end, laughing out loud, re-reading passages straight away, trying not to wake the infortunate viking sleeping next to me with my sudden snorting. It is a fast-paced happy joyride, complete with blood, gore and dismemberments, following a -quite frankly- demented lea
Danielle (Danniegurl)
3.5 Stars

This book got boring rather quickly. But Sam is anything but boring it was just the execution of the story, however I think it just is part of having to do the world building.

The first 75% is boring everyday life with Sam doing her usual imp antics. Which I find funny and sometimes annoying but give me a better idea into how things work. When I read the synopsis I kept thinking that maybe the pack leader would be the love interest since I really didn't think Wyatt was. Pack leader turne
chucklesthescot
Mar 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, uf-pnr, abandoned
This is going to be one of my mega short why I DNF'd this book kind of reviews. I liked the sound of this and the idea of Sam resorting to playing mean tricks on humans to hide her power appealed to me ie dropping chewing gum on the floor of a posh bar to get stuck to expensive high heels. This was what I expected the book to be anyway.

Sadly this was not what we got. Most of what I read was Sam thinking about her hot neighbour, Sam thinking of enslaving her hot neighbour, Sam dreaming of sex wit
Coyora Dokusho
this. was AwEsOmE!!!

the characters were interesting and it was soooo funny!!

"Sam" is really amusing.

I'm gonna devour the rest of the series now, bye.

04/20/2014 3:55 PM edited to add:

Okay I've ravaged through the first three books of the series now and I am shocked, *shocked* never to have encountered this author before. I like her just as much as Patricia Briggs or Ilona Andrews or Seanan Mcguire. Where have you *been* darling?
Andjela
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Never have I ever had the need to say "what a dumb, annoying wench" as much as I had while listening to this book.
The characters? Annoying.
The plot? Uninteresting?
The writing style? Like a teenager wrote this.
Character development? Non-existent.
Only slightly amusing character was the angel dude. I gave it two stars because it made me snicker a few times. Will try to read the second book, to give it a chance, but I feel it will be nothing more than a time wasted.
You want to read something fun
Unapologetic Roma...: Dunbar, Debra // A Demon Bound 2 21 Sep 02, 2018 09:52AM
Urban Fantasy ser...: September BOTM: A DEMON BOUND by Debra Dunbar 2 12 Oct 02, 2017 08:18PM

• Valkyrie's Vengeance (Loki's Wolves, #1)
  • Eros (Olympiana, #1)
  • Things Unseen (A Long-Forgotten Song, #1)
  • Way of the Wolf (Shifter Legacies, #1)
  • The Wild Hunt (Faerie Sworn, #1)
  • The Hunted One (End of Days, #1)
  • Echoed Defiance (Jacky Leon, #4)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Broken Loyalty (Jacky Leon, #3)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Blood Debt (Touched, #1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • How to Rattle an Undead Couple (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #9)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized #2)
  • Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • Reaper Undone (Deadside Reapers #5)
  • Blue Rose (The Noru, #1)
  • Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood, #1)
Debra lives in a little house in the woods in Maryland with three sons, and a Noah’s ark of four legged family members. She has a corporate job during the day, and writes novels at night, after the kids are tucked in bed.

She drives an Excursion affectionately called The Beast, couldn’t carry a tune if you duct taped it to her back, and enjoys an occasional cosmopolitan (heavy on the vodka). On a

Imp (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Satan's Sword (Imp, #2)
  • Elven Blood (Imp, #3)
  • Devil's Paw (Imp, #4)
  • Imp Forsaken (Imp, #5)
  • Angel of Chaos (Imp #6, Imp World #9)
  • Kingdom of Lies (Imp, #7)
  • Exodus (Imp, #8)
  • Queen of the Damned (Imp, #9)
  • The Morning Star (Imp, #10)
  • With This Ring (Imp Series, #11)

Related Articles

“He shook his head in exasperation. “Are you sure you’re not a Succubus? You seem really obsessed with the sin of lust.”

“It’s a good sin. I like gluttony an awful lot, too. Sloth has its moments, but I just don’t understand acedia at all. I mean, what the f**k is that anyway? Oh, and greed is good, to quote Gordon Gekko. Anger, envy and pride,” I ticked them off on my fingers. “I don’t often have much use for them. It’s a shortcoming that I’m hoping to correct in the next millennium or two. I’m not very old; I can’t be expected to have mastered them all yet.”

“I think you’ve worked too hard on some of those,” he said dryly. “Maybe you should switch over to virtues instead. Give yourself a much needed break.”

Virtues? Yeah, right.

“Virtues are too difficult,” I told him, shaking my head. “Look how old you are and you’ve hardly made a dent in them. I’ll admit, you seem to have zeal nailed, as well as faith and temperance. Self control? I’ve got my doubts based on your recent actions. I’m not seeing the kindness, love or generosity, either. That humility thing seems to be pretty far beyond your reach, too. Really, really far. I’m sorry to tell you this, but from what I can see, the sin of pride is a major component of your character. Dude, you’re f**king old. You should have these things pretty well ticked off your shopping list by now. I’m seriously disappointed. Seriously.”
10 likes
“Do I look like I'm compelled to do anything? Do I seriously look like anyone could compel me to even bring them a coaster?"
She looked me over again. "You look like you're compelled to cause trouble, but I doubt that's the boss' directive.”
7 likes