Start by marking “I Heard A Rumor (How I Survived Middle School, #3)” as Want to Read:
I Heard A Rumor (How I Survived Middle School, #3)

I Heard A Rumor (How I Survived Middle School #3)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  806 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Bestselling author Nancy Krulik delves into the mind of a twleve-year-old just trying to survive middle school.

Can you keep a secret? Are you the go-to girl when your friends have a secret to share? Can you be trusted to keep the info under wraps, or are you known for your loose lips?
The debut of the Madame X gossip column has turned Joyce Kilmer Middle School upside down
Published September 1st 2007 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about I Heard A Rumor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Heard A Rumor

Ann
Jun 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
I have one thing to say: This school is too stereotypical.

I mean, come on. Popular people who are mean and make fun of other people? We've all seen that before. Unpopular people who are nice? We've seen that too. The protagonist who was once friends with the most popular girl in school? (coughLizzieMcGuirecough13goingon30cough)

It's a very poor storyline as well. And the advertising? Ew. There is a website mentioned in the book which I was hoping to see, but all I got when I typed in the address
Mariah
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was really great! Although I usually like thiker books. In this how I Survived Middle School Madame X is spreading roumors (more like telling secrets) in the school news paper. It seems a bit wierd at first but its actually really interesting. My favourite thing about this book is the relatability!
Crystal
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile, 2009
I really wanted to like this series. But, the constant reference to middleschoolsurvivaltips.com and the Pops gets old. She has a great group of friends. We need to hear more about them, rather than the Pops.
Pooja Dimba
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shonda
Oct 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
The Joyce Kilmer Middle School has added a new feature to its newspaper: a gossip column written by “Madame X”. No student is safe from having his/her secrets disclosed to the entire school. Jenny McAfee and her friends find themselves at odds when a rumor is written about one of their friends. Soon Jenny doesn’t know if she can trust anyone. To make matters worse, her former best friend Addy, now a “Pop” is being nice to her. Does Addy want to be Jenny’s BFF again? Or has Madame X’s exposure of ...more
Afifa
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Hmmmmm...... Where to start..... This whole series is so repetative...... Like percy Jackson. Heres what happens: Addie and Jenny Fight/compete over something. The same charecter always wins( you casn probably guess who that is) And than thats it. Although this one and the 1st one are different. this one was probably the 2nd best in the series. The first one was the best. But like I said the rest of them are VERY repetative and Cliche. Also... Chick Flick is not exactly my best genre. The absolu ...more
Lola
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I really like the How I Survived Middle School series, but can someone just answer one question for me? Who in the hell has a gossip column in their school newspaper? Or even has a school newspaper in middle school? I know high schools that didn't have the money to have one. The premise itself is ludicrous to me, but I still enjoyed I Heard A Rumor. As per usual, I took all the quizzes in the book. That might actually be my favorite part.
Ling Juan
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was a good book.It talks about two girls Addie and Jenny that were best friends in elementary school. When they got to middle school, Addie started to change.Addie became one of the pops in the school and she started to be mean to Jenny!....
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Nancy Krulik once again helps calm the nerves of new middle schoolers by combining a fun story with helpful bits of advice on how to survive the many trials of life.

Jenny McAfee swears by the help she gets from middleschoolsurvival.com, and again she uses it to get her friends back on track. First it's Chloe who is acting strange. She is sort of keeping to herself and turning down any and all invitations to do cool stuff after sch
Jessica Ong
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: november-books
Summary'
This story is about a school news paper and what went wrong when Madame X started to post a comlumn leading fights and gossip. Everything was going right then BANG some Madame X got in to it and started to spead romours through the school paper about her Best friends saying that she has a boyfriend , then moves on to warning people about Middle School documentary that Marc is making, causeing everyone to run away from his camera. So Jenny the main character of the story is doing what eve
Verkilya Hogan
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is somewhat similar to the TV show, Pretty Little Liars, because there's this one person that knows everyone's secret. And this one person identifies them-self as a letter. In P.L.L. the group represents themselves as A, and in this book, I Heard A Rumor, the person identified herself as Madame X. And this person would try to spread rumors around the school about every one. So, I thought this book was really good, because I didn't know who Madame X was, so I had to keep reading the boo ...more
Ariana
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is somewhat similar to the TV show, Pretty Little Liars, because there's this one person (or more) that knows everyone's secret. And this one person identifies them-self as a letter. In P.L.L. the group represents themselves as A, and in this book, I Heard A Rumor, the person identified herself as Madame X. And this person would try to spread rumors around the school about every one. So, I thought this book was really good, because I didn't know who Madame X was, so I had to keep readi ...more
Red Tash
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm going to give this one a four because it's so well-formulated to hit the mark with most middle school girls. It has quizzes, "Rules for Survival," faux articles on hairstyles & things of that nature inserted amid the constant references to the book's website (which, in the story, is a stand-alone). It focuses on the kind of interpersonal drama (are we still friends now that you're more popular than me?) that haunts us well into adulthood, and it's all sandwiched on 100 pages between two ...more
Dani
Jul 08, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was like watching an episode of a favorite sitcom. All the relationships were set up in the first two books, so it didn't take long to read. My 12-year-old twins and I finished it in no time flat.
Grace H
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this book, a rumor spreading by the school newspaper and the rumor was about Jenny so she has a trouble with it and she find out who's the criminal that spread the rumor. If you like to read realistic book, you should try this book and it has a nice and interesting story.
Jessica
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs tips for Jr. High!
This book is great! About a girl named Jenny who has 4 years to learn the ways of middle school.
Also: she includes tips for surviving in middle school!
Mas5thgrade
Nov 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
it was grat and I learned that you shouldn't spread rumors and nobody should spread rumors any way true r not
Deja White
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love it
Vivien
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book, but not as exciting as the other books.
Serena
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Christine (KizzieReads)
Not as good as the last one, but still a good read. Still shows how to have good morals and be true to yourself and others.
Shelby
This book was about all the drama that goes on in the middle school years. If you like heearing about the drama that has went on in many more sitiuations this is a good book for you.
Tina
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
it was ok. easy read.
Morgan
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
That Jenny is a lot like me.
Paulie
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
yeah, I read. Well, it was kinda required that we borrow a book from a library :D Well, the story's KINDA nice. but not really, I'm not really into mid-school drama.
Emmara
Oct 23, 2016 added it
good book
Danceaw18zendayafan
I think all of the how I survived middle school books are good. You can't actually rate them low because they don't have much of a premises unlike other books because this one is pretty tiny.
Kirsty
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5
™yourbeautifulnightmaree™
This boook from the series is baseically putting the message out to not put rumors about your friends out it comes back to bite you i the butt!
  • Out Of Bounds (Beacon Street Girls, #4)
  • Accidentally Fooled (Accidentally, #3; Candy Apple #16)
  • Drama Queen (Candy Apple #5)
  • The Sister Switch (Candy Apple #11)
  • Callie For President (Candy Apple #9)
  • Prep Cool (Cinderella Cleaners, #2)
  • Totally Crushed (Candy Apple #7)
  • Making Waves (Candy Apple #10)
  • Miss Popularity (Miss Popularity #1; Candy Apple #3)
  • The Accidental Cheerleader (Candy Apple #1)
  • The Boy Next Door (Candy Apple #2)
  • My Best Frenemy (Friends for Keeps, #3)
  • Times Squared (Trading Faces, #3)
Nancy Krulik is the author of more than 100 books for children and young adults, including three New York Times bestsellers. She is best known, however, for being the author and creator of the Katie Kazoo Switcheroo book series, which has brought her to the attention of second, third, and fourth graders nationwide.

Nancy has also written extensively for teens and is well known as a biographer of Ho
More about Nancy E. Krulik...

How I Survived Middle School (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Can You Get An F In Lunch? (How I Survived Middle School, #1)
  • Madame President
  • The New Girl (How I Survived Middle School, #4)
  • Cheat Sheet (How I Survived Middle School, #5)
  • P.S. I Really Like You (How I Survived Middle School, #6)
  • Who's Got Spirit? (How I Survived Middle School, #7)
  • It's All Downhill From Here (How I Survived Middle School, #8)
  • Caught In The Web (How I Survived Middle School, #9)
  • Into The Woods (How I Survived Middle School, #10)
  • Wish Upon A Star (How I Survived Middle School, #11)