Start by marking “Miles in Love (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #6)” as Want to Read:
Miles in Love (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #6)

Miles in Love

(Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #11-12. 13.1)

Omnibus with two complete novels and a novella in one large volume. This collection shows Miles and Ekaterin meeting (Komarr), getting to know each other as Miles tries to court her (A Civil Campaign), and the wedding (Winterfair Gifts), and, of course, Miles dealing with assorted family relationships. Miles deals with political problems along the way plus recounts the ...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Baen (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Miles in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miles in Love

Start your review of Miles in Love (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #6)
Kathleen
"This mind-melting mixture of lust and domesticity was entirely novel to him. Well, half novel; he knew how to handle lust. It was the domesticity that had ambushed his guard."
High marks for Miles in Love, three off-world, romantic and suspenseful sci-fi stories.

This trilogy revolves primarily around Lord Miles Vorkosigan and his new heart-throb, a courageous widow named Ekaterin (with her 9-year-old son Nikki). Here's the skinny on each one:

1) Komarr: Miles meets Ekaterin. Solid romantic
Jon
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Beyond Reality Book Club Series Miles Vorkosigan
Follow this link for my review of Komar. 4 stars

Follow this link for my review of A Civil Campaign 4.5-5 stars

'Winterfair Gifts' (novella) 4 stars

'Winterfair Gifts' grants us a glimpse of Vorkosigan House through the eyes of Roic, the newest member of the armsmen, infamous for his spectacular brief rescue of Dr. Borgas and his assistants in A Civil Campaign. Roic feels he failed Lord Miles then and second-guesses himself constantly. Galactic gifts and guests begin to arrive for Miles and
ms bookjunkie
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to ms bookjunkie by: Bitchery at SBTB
Komarr: 18-19.5.2013 5 stars

*happy sigh* A most excellent, emotionally satisfying read. I love Ekaterin. And I really love Ekaterin for Miles. So Vor, but so sensible; so wounded but so brave. I can't wait to move onto the courtship!

A Civil Campaign: 19-20.5.2013 5 stars

Contains the most disastrous dinner party in the history of ever. And vomiting beetles. Not to mention, an awkward romance. What's not to love? (Also, Ivan shows signs of possibly maturing someday. o_O)

Winterfair Gifts: 20.5.2013
Šimon Podhajský
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This omnibus - especially The Civil Campaign - highlights the main element that make the Vorkosigan Saga so great. The secret sauce? LMB's grasp on relationships, and the way they intersect with sexuality and culture and individual trauma. The rising action and the whodunnit are captivating, for sure, but it's Ekaterin and Cordelia and Mark that make me cry and feel things. If you want sci-fi without stilted caricatures instead of characters, and that takes the impacts of technology on society ...more
Libby
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Rereading some favs from the Vorkosigan series (Komarr, A Civil Campaign, and a novella). A Civil Campaign was the first one I read, back in June, 2004.

Just as much fun as the first time around!

And, rereading Komarr again in July 2014, purely escapist in the midst of moving--and, enjoyed it again, just as much!

Rereading during nursing, January and February 2017. Still good, especially when one is just looking for a fun read.

July 2019--Reread most of Komarr and bits of Civil Campaign during
Alarra
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, romance, sf
I didn't really enjoy Komarr - the Miles/Ekaterin stuff weirdly reminded me of a Biblical story that's always left me a bit uncomfortable. But A Civil Campaign is so charming! I did like the change in pace and tone, the way it worked so nicely as a fan of Heyer and Austen and the frothy romances, shot through with the Vor political intrigues I've come to love. And the butter bugs, ahahahahaha...I did like the butter bugs.
Lindsay Stares
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I have read both novels and the short story that make up this compilation before. It was worth reading again, back to back, especially with the illuminating afterword. This is one of those dangerously good books. I read from half-way through book one to the end of book two in one sitting. And then I went back to re-read my favorite scenes. I love this series, now I want to re-read them all.

**Update** Re-read on my Kindle in 2011.
Alison
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While I really enjoyed Komarr and "Winterfair Gifts," the standout of this omnibus was A Civil Campaign. WOW, what a great book!! Sharp and witty, it had me literally crying with laughter about halfway through.

Now I just have to backtrack and go through Miles Errant (omni #3) and Miles, Mutants and Microbes (omni #4).
Julie
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down best omnibus since Young Miles. I probably even like this one better, but you HAVE to read Young Miles to appreciate the title character enough for Miles in Love. Stayed up until the wee hours of the morning because I couldn't put it down! Miles Vorkosigan is a fictional character I would love to meet. I'm half in love with him as it is!

Caprice Hokstad
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any space opera fan
Recommended to Caprice by: Katherine Coble
There is nothing I didn't like about these three stories. I bought the omnibus specifically to read the short novella "Winterfair Gifts" because I had already read the other two stories separately. TOTALLY worth it. This is so far my favorite omnibus, although Young Miles is such a close second, it's nearly a tie. Without a doubt, I will be reading this again.
Carolyn
Wonderful collection of Komarr, A Civil Campaign and the novella "Winterfair Gifts".
Alexandra
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
Lisa
When I first read Shards of Honor, I really wasn't feeling the two protagonists were not my favorite romantic characters. Yes they were brave courageous and adventurous but not whose story I wanted to continue reading about.

Imagine my surprise when I realized the continuation of the Vorkosigan universe actual involved their son Miles. What a happy coincidence of having the story be about a romantic story between Miles and his beloved, Ekaterian.

I really enjoyed all three books in this omnibus.
Rachel
I AM SO CROSS! As Memory is not included in any of the new omnibuses, I skipped it entirely, meaning I have been totally spoiled for it by the events of Komarr and A Civil Campaign. It did puzzle me at the time, given that Bujold never reveals vital plot points in flashback. GRR, AGHH, DEATH TO ALL SPOILERS ETC.(view spoiler) ...more
Freyja
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is two novels and a novella in one book. I already reviewed Komarr, so on to the rest. A Civil Campaign was at turns suspenseful and funny. The villains were sufficiently nasty that I was ready to bury them in a radioactive pit. There is a lot of action, including a sort of food fight. Winterfair Gifts follows on in winter, where CC was set in midsummer, when Miles is preparing for his wedding. Nothing around Miles is going to be plain sailing, not even his marriage. An attempt on his ...more
Sarani Rangarajan
Favorite Miles duology

A Civil Campaign, written as a regency romance crossed with space opera (but mostly that Georgette Heyer-esque regency tone), has long been my favourite Miles book. On this re-read, however, Komal has overtaken ACC. Miles has a frenetic energy to him that I think leads to fast paced action-driven books. These books are the calm, a pivotal change and the beginning of a new Miles. I like this new Miles. He’s grown up.
Linda Brown
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, simply wonderful!

The very best of Lois McMaster Bujold. Heartwarming stories with laugh out loud moments. I read a lot of books, good books, but occasionally I'll re-read one of Lois Bujolds award winning novels. I'm transported back to the Vorkosigan world. Uplifts my soul!
Margot
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice collection focused on the events leading to Miles meeting his lady love, not so successfully courting her, and then finally (view spoiler). I love Miles's slow progression from an impulsive young man to a measured and thoughtful adult.
Sara J. (kefuwa)
That was awesome!

Pending review!
James
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Komarr was excellent, four stars. “A civil campaign” is Bujold at her best, insane overlapping plots, moment of exquisite triumph and hilarity, and a bit (but not too much) of Miles at his manic best 5 stars. “Winter fair gifts” was a lovely way to finish the omnibus 4 stars. Overall still five stars, just because I could not put it down.
mstan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, sf
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent Miles binge.
Anne Skelding
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of warm fuzzy feelings. Exactly what I needed after reading Mirror Dance.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the Series
This is one of five omnibus volumes incorporating most of the novels and short stories in the "Vorkosigan Saga" by Bujold. It can loosely be described as Space Opera although the series often blends genres. Often (as signaled by Miles, Mystery & Mayhem) mystery, usually action adventure, and in this one definitely romance. Not that Miles hasn't had his love interests in previous books--but here romance is more the focus, although if you're looking for romance-aisle fare, you're in the wrong ...more
Jon
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an omnibus edition, containing the novels Komarr and A Civil Campaign, as well as the novella Winterfair Gifts. As I work my way through the Vorkosigan novels, it's the only omnibus available for Kindle that made sense for me to buy.

If I had to rate them individually, I'd give Komarr 4 stars, A Civil Campaign 5 stars and Winterfair Gifts a weak 4 stars.

Komarr, for me, was a slighly above-average entry into the Vorkosgian saga. What made it above-average was that it seemed to be headed in
Evie Byrne
I've read all of the Miles Vorkosigan series, but will only be reviewing this book, because frankly, now that I've read them all in a flurry, it would take forever to go back and review each one. But A Civil Campaign, which is included in this omnibus edition, is my favorite.

I love this series, because it's really a treat to be able to dig into a long series about one character, and watch the character (and writer) develop over time. It's said that any book in this series can be read as a
Libby
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: year-of-women, sci-fi
Rating this omnibus, that comprises the novels "Komarr" and "A Civil Campaign" and the novella "Winterfair Gifts," gave me fits. On the one hand, "Komarr" amazed me in many ways, not least of which the fact that it surpasses its remarkable predecessor "Memory," which until now had been my favorite novel in the series. "Komarr" is a gripping mystery-romance-adventure featuring a spectacularly rendered female character, a fascinating bit of political sabotage, and a many-layered mystery to ...more
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Product Description

__

Two complete novels and a short novel in one large volume:

Komarr—Miles Vorkosigan is sent to Komarr, a planet that could be a garden with a thousand more years of terraforming; or an uninhabitable wasteland, if the terraforming project fails. The solar mirror vital to the project has been shatteredby a ship hurtling off course, and Miles Vorkossigan has been sent to find out if it was an accident, or sabotage. Miles uncovers a plot that could exile him from Barrayar

Jesus Flores
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miles in love
3 books in 1 omnibus
First Komarr, Miles as recently appointed Auditor goes to Komarr to investigate a possible accident or sabotage to the solar disc for the planet, there he finds that things might not be as easy, especially after they find the body of a missing terraform ex-worker on space by the crash. Several plots unfold, like the Barrayan administrator taking money away from one department, soon they find he was being fooled and the money scam was more than that, and the
Rebecca
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed these books.

So, this is made of two books, Komarr and A Civil Campaign. Komarr is a lovely mystery that deals with the consequences of occupation and resistance. ACC is described as 'a comedy of manners and biology', and weaves together romance, family, and interesting science-fiction social situations.

One thing I like about this duology is that we get a number of different views of female characters in romantic situations. We have Ekaterin, who is a widow recovering from an
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tung? 4 21 May 17, 2013 09:03AM

• Counter Culture
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • Bisclavret
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • Promise (Single Dads #3)
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • The Warship (Rise of the Jain #2)
  • Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington, #8)
  • Die letzte Spur
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • The Complete Works
  • Light Years
  • John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined
  • Creative Illustration
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
“Aim high. You may still miss the target, but at least you won't shoot your foot off.” 77 likes
“Mark, you don't pay back your parents. You can't. The debt you owe them gets collected by your children, who hand it down in turn. It's a sort of entailment. Or if you don't have children of the body, it's left as a debt to your common humanity. Or to your God, if you possess or are possessed by one." "I'm not sure that seems fair." "The family economy evades calculation in the gross planetary product. It's the only deal I know where, when you give more than you get, you aren't bankrupted—but rather, vastly enriched.” 8 likes