Start by marking “Sonic Wonderland: A Scientific Odyssey of Sound” as Want to Read:
Sonic Wonderland: A Scientific Odyssey of Sound

Sonic Wonderland: A Scientific Odyssey of Sound

An original and compelling tour of the world's most amazing acoustic phenomena and a passionate plea for a deeper appreciation of and respect for our shared sonic landscapes.
Creaking glaciers, whispering galleries, stalactite organs, musical roads, squeaking beaches, groaning waterwheels, frogs that croak in Mexican waves, Mayan pyramids that produce echoes that chirp lik
Published February 25th 2014 by Bodley Head (first published January 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sonic Wonderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sonic Wonderland

Paul
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2014
We are surrounded by sounds and noise, some of it good, like the song of a bird, but a lot of it bad like the hammer of a road drill. In the book, Cox is seeking out some of the natural and non natural sounds that we come across every day.

He visits locations all across the work in this book, from the natural caves and amphitheatres that have natural echoes and reverbs to the singing desserts in the Mojave dessert and the tidal bore of the river Severn. There are noises that that humans have crea
Karthik Shashidhar
Stumbled upon this in the library. Very very interesting book Sounds and perceptions and all that. Written in an engaging style. But occasionally you can get lost
Mandy
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trevor Cox is an acoustic engineer and his passion for sounds of all kinds comes over loud and clear in this fascinating exploration of some of the sonic wonders of the world and the mysterious sounds that the natural world often produces. He points out that sound is often ignored or blocked out when it becomes a nuisance but in fact we should pay attention and celebrate sound and thus become better listeners. His study is wide-ranging and covers a wealth of topics, from physics to music to neur ...more
Tom
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great
Outstanding piece of popular science writing. Describes how things sound (and feel) beautifully, using some evocative examples and stories. Good to have them available online to listen to (sonicwonders.org) but the descriptions are so precise, they're almost not needed.
I thought he got the tone just right - entertaining and on the light side but with enough technical, acoustic and musical detail to guide readers who wish to learn more.
J.P. Turner
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read for all of us sound and music geeks out there. Professor Cox's explains the science of sound and acoustics in a way which is interesting, easily understandable and non-patronising. I know a little bit about this stuff but it was a nice refresher. Seemed a bit dry at times but it is a science book. Definitely provides food for thought and I'm glad I finally found time to read it.
Tara Brabazon
I was waiting to be thrilled by this book. I am ... underwhelmed. There is attention to acoustics, resonance and reverberation. But I am uncertain about the argument. Description is evocative. Analysis is undercooked.

This book has potential. But the powerful nature of the sonic media field requires a bang rather than a murmur from new books.
V
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
+ A really interesting read on sound that explores how sound affects us through architecture and history
+ starts slow but gets pretty interesting fro. the second chapter

- occasionally yearns too much for the past
- does try to explain the science of sound, but assumes that one has some physics knowledge; but these sections can be easily skimmed
Carol Ferro
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A thoroughly interesting book about sound in different environments, structures and eras. I would love to listen to an audiobook version to hear the effects that are so beautifully described.
Science For The People
Featured on Science for the People show #269 on June 13, 2014, during an interview with author Trevor Cox. http://www.scienceforthepeople.ca/epi...
Druesilla Faith Preece