Start by marking “The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind” as Want to Read:

The New York Times best-selling author of Physics of the Impossible, Physics of the Future and Hyperspace tackles the most fascinating and complex object in the known universe: the human brain.

For the first time in history, the secrets of the living brain are being revealed by a battery of high tech brain scans devised by physicists. Now what was once solely the province o
Published February 25th 2014 by Doubleday (first published 2014)

David
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderfully "feel-good" book about science! Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist, and a well-known author of popular books about physics, especially the future of physics. In this book, he strays a bit from physics, and enters the realms of biology, neuroscience, evolution, and the brain. Kaku admits that he is not an expert in these fields. However, he writes so engagingly, his fast-paced, light-hearted writing style, and fearless exploration of a wide range of topics makes this a very ...more
Rama
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The future of human mind and artificial intelligence

In this book, City University of New York Professor Michio Kaku, a well-respected theoretical physicist has discussed our current understanding of human mind and consciousness, and where it is heading in the next few decades. He has followed his life-long interest in biology of mind in this exhaustive literature work after his discussion with leading neurobiologists. Despite the fact that his field of expertise lies in theoretical physics, this
Maria
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
For so many many centuries, the universe and consciousness have been two of the greatest mysteries for many philosophers and scientists. Interestingly, physicists like Francis Crick and Christof Koch among many others have engaged to this fascinating area of research. In "Future of the Mind" Michio Kaku, a theoretical physicist, also approaches this subject. What is consciousness? Is it possible to be explained by the laws of Physics? and, with such an advance in technology, what can we expect o ...more
James Williams
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't abide futurism. The best science fiction postulates an imaginary future society with imaginary future technologies and explores the present through a fantastical lens. Futurism, on the other hand, postulates that imaginary future because "why not?".

Futurism is little more than making extravagant predictions while hand-waving away the very real technical issues that stand between the present and that predicted future. In my field of computer programming, we often tell stories of "the suf
عبدالرحمن عقاب
يا له من كتابٍ مفيد وممتع ومثير ! يزيدك علمًا ومعرفةً وأسئلة. ولقد اجتمع له جمال أسلوب مؤلفه المعروف(مشيو كاكو)، وحُسن الترجمة (سعد الدين خرفان)، والطباعة والنشر في سلسلة عالم المعرفة بإخراجٍ مميّز وثمنٍ زهيد.
يناقش الكتاب مستجدات أبحاث العقل والدماغ تحت مظلة الاهتمام العالمي بهذه الأبحاث، والسعي العلمي نحو مزيد من الفهم لواحدٍ من أعظم أسرار الخلق وهو (العقل).
ويمضي الكاتب بسبب اهتمامه بالمستقبل الممكن إلى الحديث عن التجارب العجيبة في مجال تكنولوجيا الدماغ و التحليق به إلى أفقٍ أبعد في عالم المس
Randy
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I haven't finished it yet, but I don't need to finish this one to write the review.

It's a nice summary of the state of knowledge about the human brain... how it works, how technology is being used to learn more about it and how technology is being used to fix it/control it.

The level of technical skill needed to read this book is on a par with any of the popular science shows on the Discovery Channel. That's not a complaint; I like the 30,000 foot view it provides.

But the constant surface treatme
Laura Noggle
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
“It seems that the one characteristic most closely correlated with success in life, which has persisted over the decades, is the ability to delay gratification.”

Vanilla Sky, anyone? Kaku did a great job tying modern culture into the book, from robots and Skynet, to hard science.

However ... more than half the book was filled with "maybe this could happen," "this might be possible," and "one day, if ..."—which really got old fast.

Yes, I should have known better from the title, *The Future of the
Kristy K
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, science
Interesting, but I have to say I enjoyed Kaku's The Future of Humanity a lot more. This wasn't quite as engaging.
الشناوي محمد جبر
مستقبل العقل (الاجتهاد العلمي لفهم العقل وتطويره وتقويته)
عالم المعرفة
ميشيو كاكو
...........................
قرأت قبل هذا الكتاب ثلاث كتب للفيزيائي العظيم "ميشيو كاكو"، ولروعة ما قراته له تشجعت لقراءة هذا الكتاب. وقليلا ما تصدر عن سلسلة (عالم المعرفة) كتبا فأقرأها فور صدورها؛ نظرا لصعوبتها واكاديميتها الشديدة، لكن لم يمر وقت حتي قرأت هذا الكتاب مستمتعا به، علي ندرة الكتب العلمية الممتعة، وعلي ندرة كتب عالم المعرفة الممتعة كذلك، فأهم مميزات هذا الكتاب أنه بعيد تماما عن الجفاف العلمي المعهود في كتب ا
Claudia Badiu
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pe dr. Michio Kaku îl știu din diferite documentare de la BBC sau Discovery și eu un tip super carismatic pe care ți-e mai mare dragul să-l asculți. După ce am citit "Universuri paralele", m-am bucurat să găsesc și cartea asta, bănuind că va fi cel puțin la fel de interesantă. A fost!
Cartea e scrisă ca un articol al unei reviste tehnice cu informații pe înțelesul publicului larg, astfel încât să fascineze cititorul și să îl facă să-și pună o mulțime de întrebări în timp ce citește despre ultime
Lis Carey
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Michio Kaku, a theoretical physicist with a love of science fiction and of explaining science to non-scientists as well as of physics, once again takes a big, broad subject area that people are fascinated by, and explores what we know and can do now, what we can expect in the near future, and what the next century or two might bring us.

This is a readable, fascinating introduction to what we know about the workings of the human brain, and how the mind emerges from it, as well as the current state
Ivy
Apr 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
Interesting intro to neuroscience for the casual reader. If you're looking for depth and analysis, this is not the book for you. I belong to the latter category, and for me, the shallowness makes it an incredibly frustrating read.

Don't get me wrong. I like Michio Kaku. He's a very charismatic speaker. But I just don't like to waste my time on magazine-level introductory knowledge.
Brian Clegg
Physicist Michio Kaku, an expert in string theory, might not seem the obvious person to take us on a tour of what the subtitle describes as ‘the scientific quest to understand, enhance and empower the mind.’ But Kaku is a very experienced science communicator and though I didn’t feel the same deep connection with, and love for, his subject as comes across in his physics-based books, there is certainly a lot to ponder in this reasonably chunky bit of scientific futurology.

Of all the great science
Slim Khezri
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Knowledge and education is everything in life!!!! This is one fantastic book. "The Future of the Mind" by Michio Kaku introduces inquisitive readers to the exciting science of the human mind. Dr. Kaku is perhaps the preeminent popular scientist of our time with numerous books, television productions and media appearances to his credit. This fascinating book will interest everyone who wants to get up to speed on the rapidly evolving field of brain sciences including what the future might hold for ...more
Grumpus
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, brain
Each Michio Kaku book challenges the limits of my understanding by slowly taking me to the edge of what I know and then pushing me over the precipice. His books always seem to start out slowly by getting me comfortable with what I already know. Next, he pulls the rug out and I’m happily trying to figure out which way is up.

The types of things that scientists are working on today make me sad that I probably won’t be around to benefit from them. Some of these “mind” things as well as robotics are
Ahmed M. Gamil
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب ممتاز للغاية ويشعرك بحجم المعجزة التي تحملها فوق كتفيك.. حاسوب كمومي فائق له القدرة على التعلم وإعادة توجيه نفسه بحسب المهمة التي يؤديها ويحتاج فقط إلى عشرين واط من الطاقة.. أعقد إنتاجات الكون على الإطلاق.. يحمل سر الوعي والإرادة بشكل معجز ولا نستطيع فك شفرته الشديدة التعقيد إلى الآن. كل ما يمكننا فعله هو التعامل معه كصندوق أسود، نعلم فحسب أن جزء منه يؤدي مهمة معينة وجزء آخر يؤدي مهمة أخرى وهكذا دون الوغول فعليا إلى دقائق الكيفية.

يتناول الكتاب أحلام البشر ومسعاهم للحصول على قدرات عقلية أك
Alex Givant
Excellent book about what the brain is, how it works and how we can enhance/repair it.
Ross
May 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Very disappointing. This book is billed as scientific but is simply science fiction nonsense. The book starts out well enough with a review of the current types of brain scans and some commentary of potential future enhancements to these technologies. Then the author launches into wild speculation about telepathy and telekinesis and how these may be possible in the "very near future." Since my only interest in the brain is of a purely scientific and practical bent, these speculations were of zer ...more
Adam J E L
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Future of the Mind
5 Stars - Exciting read, filled with interesting facts and mind boggling ideas. Great read for a wide range of those interested in the future of science and the brain!

What a fun read this was! Not often do books make me want to hide away from the world, until I can finish it in one read. While working my way through this one, I never did want to put it down, except when coming across an experiment that Michio Kaku touched upon, that I wanted to jump further into online.

On t
Menna
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ثاني قراءة لميشيو كاكو بعد "فيزياء المستحيل" من نفس السلسلة ونفس المترجم.
أعترف إن في البداية كان عندي بعض التردد في قراءة كتاب عن علم الدماغ والبيولوجيا والأعصاب من تأليف فيزيائي نظري، لكن على عكس توقعي، طلع الكتاب عميق، مدروس كويس، ومفيد. ميشيو كاكو بيثبت مرة أخرى إنه من أنجح مُبسطي العلوم، أو دعنا نقول كُتاب العلوم للعامة.

الكتاب 439 صفحة، مافيش صفحة فيهم مش مفيدة. يعني أكاد أقول إن وجوده ضروري في مكتبة أي قارئ عربي.
إصدار موفق آخر لسلسلة عالم المعرفة، اللي كانت إصداراتها مميزة جدًا السنة دي.
Lola White
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

يتحدث كاكو و هو فيزيائي عن العقل و الوعي من وجهة نظر الفيزياء.
الكتاب يشرح عن العقل بشكل مبسط ثم يستعرض تاريخ و بدايات استكشاف العقل و يناقش الامراض النفسية و العقلية.
من ضمن المواضيع التي يناقشها كاكو: الوعي و الذكاء الاصطناعي و امكانية نسخ العقل و امكانية جعل الانسان خالداً كوعي و طاقة.
هناك افكار رائعة طرحها كاكو في الملحق عن علاقة ميكانيك الكم بالوعي و الدماغ لكن للاسف لم يناقشها باستفاضة.

Yasser
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
«نأخذ وعينا كأمر مسلم به، لكننا لا ندرك التسلسل الطويل والملتوي من الحوادث البيولوجية التي جعلت الوعي ممكنًا. يكتب عالم النفس ستيفن بينكر: أعتقد أن لا شيء يعطي الحياة هدفًا أسمى من إدراك أن كل لحة من الوعي هي بمنزلة هدية ثمينة»

لم أقرأ كل كتب المستقبليات بطبيعة الحال، لكن ما أنا متأكد منه، ألا أحد يستطيع أن يكتب فيها بنفس براعة «ميتشو كاكو»، عالم الفيزياء النظرية الأمريكي ذو الأصل الياباني. إذ كيف يمكن أن أستمتع بكتب في المستقبليات أكثر مما استمتعت بما كتب الرجل؟ خصوصًا أنني قرأت له سابقًا كتاب «
Vimal Thiagarajan
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An astonishing amount of information crammed into the confines of a 377-page book. Kaku's presentation is effortless and very accessible, like one of his numerous youtube videos.You just cannot help getting infected with his enthusiasm about the science he presents - the science which sheds new light on deemed-esoteric-forever concepts like telepathy, telekinesis and mind reading and that which is on the cusp of performing tasks like memory implants, memory recording, dream videotaping, mental e ...more
Jake C
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I've been drawn to the sciences recently and I'd have to say neuroscience is the most fascinating of them all. The book may be geared down slightly too much for layman, though. I'm admittedly no scientist. I find it hard to follow certain recipes or build IKEA furniture. But I did find myself getting anxious throughout the book, peaking ahead, hoping Mr. Kaku would speed things up a bit.

Not only does the science feel watered down at times, but the effect is heightened with the author (maybe the

Peter Mcloughlin
Fairly interesting science book about the future technologies that will soon come online to enhance our brains from cybernetic implants, to bionic technology, to downloading memories and uploading our minds. The book starts with an outline of neuro-anatomy and then shows the kinds of interventions and enhancements that may soon be coming to a brain near you. A fun book with a lot of to think about. The possibilities for use and abuse of these technology is something we may have to grapple with i ...more
Leah
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Science, sci-fi or fantasy?

As a theoretical physicist, Michio Kaku may not be the obvious choice to tackle the subject of the science of the brain, but he undoubtedly has a gift for writing about complex subjects in an accessible way. In this book he looks at the history of neuroscience, where we are now, and then spends a huge chunk of the book speculating about where the scientists may take us in the future.

He starts by describing the physical properties of the brain, explaining how over the l
Becca Noggle
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Seemed to be quite a bit of speculation, interesting but felt it could have been shorter.
Oleksandr Golovatyi
Люблю кники этого автора. Всегда интересно, много физики в интересном изложении. Это как Дэн Браун про историю, так Митио Каку про физику :) , не знаю почему, но такое у меня получилось сравнение. Оба автора мои любимые. Больше всего в книге мне понравились размышление о сознании. Согласен с автором - человеческое сознание - это что-то фантастическое, я б даже сказал божественное. В общем классная кника, особенно кто любит физику и все, что касаеться мозга и интеллекта.
Marysya Rudska
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Мічіо Каку, як завжди, на висоті! Це кльова насичена інформацією й цікавими ідеями книжка про наш розум, різні підходи до його вивчення, можливості подальших досліджень, "покращень" і т.д.
Єдиний мінус, що автор, поганець, спойлить фільми ікнижки :))
Mohamed Osman
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
سيكون هذا الكتاب مزعجا للبعض خاصة ممن ارتضوا الجمود والسكون الفكري،وذلك لما يثيره الكتاب ويطرحه من قضايا وأمور تدفع للتفكير، والبعض سيخاف مما هو قادم في المستقبل من تقنيات وتطور، والبعض سيراه مجرد هراء، لكني أراه كتابا مثيرا وممتعا ، ويمكنني أن أرشحه لمحبي هذه النوعية من الكتب
  • Virtually Human: The Promise—and the Peril—of Digital Immortality
  • Connectome: How the Brain's Wiring Makes Us Who We Are
  • Digital Rapture: The Singularity Anthology
  • Singularity Rising: Surviving and Thriving in a Smarter, Richer, and More Dangerous World
  • Consciousness: Confessions of a Romantic Reductionist
  • The Ravenous Brain: How the New Science of Consciousness Explains Our Insatiable Search for Meaning
  • Augmented: Life in the Smart Lane
  • What Should We Be Worried About? Real Scenarios That Keep Scientists Up at Night
  • Physics in Mind: A Quantum View of the Brain
  • The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: The History of the Human Brain as Revealed by True Stories of Trauma, Madness, and Recovery
  • Evolution: A View from the 21st Century
  • Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality
  • The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World
  • Touching a Nerve: Our Brains, Our Selves
  • Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World
  • Robot: Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind
  • Future Science: Essays from the Cutting Edge
  • Acts of Meaning
(Arabic: ميشيو كاكو
Russian: Митио Каку
Chinese: 加來道雄
Japanese: ミチオ・カク)

Dr. Michio Kaku is an American theoretical physicist at the City College of New York , best-selling author, a futurist, and a communicator and popularizer of science. He has written several books about physics and related topics of science.

He has written two New York Times Best Sellers, Physics of the Impossible (2008) and Physic
“The brain weighs only three pounds, yet it is the most complex object in the solar system.” 48 likes
“For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.” 41 likes