Start by marking “Hunger” as Want to Read:
Hunger

Hunger

When Beth wakes up one morning covered in dirt, she puts it down to an extreme case of sleep-walking. But when reports of a desecrated grave start to circulate, her night-time wanderings take on a sinister air.

Soon the city is being plagued by strange sightings and sudden disappearances.

Beth knows that something is changing within her. Something that's filling her with an
Published January 16th 2014 by Hammer (first published January 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunger

Cora Tea Party Princess
This is a review of the audio version of this book.

Full review to come, but it's the best audio book I've ever listened to. And yes, it beats Stephen Fry 's reading of Harry Potter. Seriously.
Michelle
Dec 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS A COUPLE OF SPOILERS. (But if you read this review, you won't want to read the actual book anyway, so it's no loss.)

If I didn't know better, I'd think this was book was written by a 15-year-old. The writing is very simplistic, like a children's book, with uncomplicated sentence structure and repetitiveness--I mean a LOT. There was a bare minimum of character background information or setting description. Some people might call this type of writing "stark", but to me
Emma
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Beth <3

Melvin Burgess is one of my all-time favourite authors, from reading Junk when I was 10 or 11 I have been hooked on his fantastic style and ability to get through to readers of all ages. However, Hunger offers something different. Hunger moves away from Burgess’ cutting edge real-life novels and moves into supernatural, horror and gore territory. I loved it!

Hunger is the first release from Hammer, the cult horror film brand who have now moved into literature. Burgess offers h
Andrew
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Standard demonic fayre, set in my home city. Feels like it should have been aimed at a YA audience.
Hell
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF - I worked up to just over half way (page 150 to be exact) and gave up.
Ensuing rant ahead.

I tried with this one, but I could tell within a chapter and a half that I was not going to enjoy it and a few times I wondered if I'd make it through the next chapter.
It wasn't until halfway through chapter nine that I gave up.
There was undeniably potential in this story, but it was quickly lost by the characters and the pacing.
Did this story want to be a possession story? A monster story? An end of th
TheReader
June Jones
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't have this book as a bed time read, you will have nightmares.
Verity (The Cosy Reading Nest)
Melvin Burgess is a masterful young adult writer. Perfectly able to encapsulate what it means to be a teenager in books like Junk and Doing It, and equally adept at creating dystopian science fiction in books such as Bloodtide and Bloodsong, Burgess has long been a favourite author of mine. However, Hunger just didn’t live up to the standard I’ve come to expect from his writing.

The mystery behind what is happening to Beth sets the story up seamlessly. This first quarter of the book is spine-chil
Sidney Prescott
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Okay...this book was enjoyable enough. But you cannot look at it with a critical eye or the plot holes will suck you down deep.

What this book does have is a great four piece set of characters. They're like a little scooby gang. Ivan is the scaredy cat, Coll is the smarty pants, Beth is the hero, and her brother Louis is the sidekick. They fit into their stereotypical roles quite well. The dynamics between the four of them are quite predictable.

The folk lore around the demon and ghouls and vampi
Sophie
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-author
Hunger is unlike anything I’ve ever read by Melvin Burgess and I’m really not sure what I thought of it.

Right from the get go, Hunger creeped me out. It threw out eerie situations and strange questions: where’s all the dirt come from? Why can’t Beth remember what happened? Why can she smell death? Why is she so hungry all the time? It unnerved me so much that I had to stop reading. The vagueness of the events that kick-started the novel really amped up the tension beautifully.

Although I was glad
Serendipity Reviews
Originally published on www. serendipityreviews.co.uk
The first few chapters of this book are the scariest I have read since my teen obsession with Richard Laymon. They made me feel really uncomfortable, nervous and scared the beejeesus out of me. Seriously scary stuff!
Beth has no idea what is happening to her and I think that captured the fear of the book. Imagine knowing you were doing something really bad and not being aware of what it is or being able to control it. The essence of good horror
Patti Bauwens
Jan 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I took out this book purely on the cover and name. I'll only say this about it: life is too short and time too precious - and i've wasted it reading this to the end...

the characters are totally unreal and not even remotely fleshed out (students, *we're told they're bright but i can't see why looking at their actions* who don't even think once about taking their very real problems to the authorities or who don't even think twice when a stranger suggests they split up, etc... - clueless parents an
Sara_MM_240526
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the definition of a horror story. It sent chills down my spine as I was reading it. In the story Beth, her brother louis, and their friends fight a demonic creature that has been buried for centuries. Beth is the reason behind the monster coming back. As the story progresses Beth and her friends try to find a way to kill the demon, but every way leads to a dead end. The twists in the story are shocking and overwhelming. The events of the story occur in United Kingdom. This book woul ...more
Samantha Ashcroft
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melvin Burgess is one of my all time favourite authors, he unique style makes his boos easy to read and interesting for young teenagers as well as adults. This book was full on scary from the start but did dwindle towards the end and became a tad predictable. I loved the concept but felt more could have been done to increase my interest and the 'Scariness' I felt at the start. All in all a good read, with twists and turns I couldn't put it down at some parts of the book... normally when reading ...more
Miss L
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I expected a lot more given the reviews that Junk had received (although I have never read any Melvin Burgess books), I understand it is a YA book but it really feels very simplistic in style, more like a fan fiction story that a novella by a well regarded author.

I found the dialogue between the characters clunky and drawn out and it was hard to care about the main characters, as we never really got to know them before all the killing starts.
The ending was just crap.

I'm just glad I didn't bothe
Buffy
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok. It was fairly entertaining, but I wasn't enamoured of the writing style. I found the dialogue to be very wooden, which actually improved during the story. Or so I thought. I realised that the places where the dialogue fell down was in the romancy parts. Overall, it was entertaining, but it didn't blow me away.
Pimpawan
Nov 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
So bad it's almost good. Very predictable. Read the opening scene and some such following and you'll just know what's going to happen next. Something to kill time with. Not a quality one, but perfect for anyone wants to waste time just for the sake of doing it.
Geoff Lynas
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, horror
This isn't really a review, just a comment. This was no 'Junk'. I can see why Hammer would go for it but after a pretty good start, it left me cold. Hoping the antidote is to dive straight in with another Melvin Burgess book. Think we have one about a dog that I haven't read yet. Fingers crossed.
Laura Armstrong
Mar 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I read 30 or so pages of this and found the writing style to be very clunky and too simplistic. It's really not very good, so I've decided to cut my loses and abandon it. Shame.
Bekie
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book enjoying it, but felt it got a bit boring towards the middle section. I lost interest and put it on the shelf.
Wilde Sky
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a tale of evil spirits preying on people.

I found this book very disappointing - it had a muddled story and poor writing.
Donna Medcalf
I finally got over the comedy that is the reader of this audiobook!! I'm enjoying the story but the reader doesn't seem to engage the characters in a serious way that the book requires.
Jane Kelsey
not impressed. started well, but plot got lost
Abbie Ennis
The blurb was the most exciting thing about the book,though when you read the book the blurb does not seem to give an accurate description of what the reader has let themselves in for.
Bethany wood
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ohh my this read was brilliant I love that me and the main character have the same first name. I was sad that coll died and Ivan they were great characters ♡
Emily Best
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-borrows
would have been a 4* however i found it quite long winded and predictable. good book though by one of my favourite authors!
Abbie Hall
Jan 24, 2016
Maggie
Aug 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Melvin Burgess is a British author of children's fiction. His first book, The Cry of the Wolf, was published in 1990. He gained a certain amount of notoriety in 1996 with the publication of Junk, which was published in the shadow of the film of Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting, and dealt with the trendy and controversial idea of heroin-addicted teenagers. Junk soon became, at least in Britain, one of ...more