Start by marking “Time for Bed, Fred!” as Want to Read:
Time for Bed, Fred!

Time for Bed, Fred!

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Meet Fred—a mischievous, playful, loving dog. It's time for Fred to go to bed . . . but Fred really, really doesn’t want to! From hiding up in trees, to splashing in muddy puddles, to hiding behind bookshelves, Fred will do anything to avoid bedtime. He would even rather have a bath than go to bed . . . but all of this running couldn't possibly have possibly made Fred slee ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by Walker Childrens (first published July 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Time for Bed, Fred!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time for Bed, Fred!

Tasha
It’s time for Fred to go to bed, but this dog is not ready! Instead of heading to bed, Fred dashes outside and tries to hide in the flower bed. Then he hides in a tree until he falls out of it. Fred then runs and lands in a huge mud puddle. So then it’s bath time for Fred. But just when he’s finally clean, he dashes outside once more! Back inside, he hides in all sorts of places, even after he gets read a bedtime story. Finally, Fred is moved to the right bed and falls asleep at last.

Fred is a d
Jessica
The perfect bedtime story for my rowdy three year old who does NOT want to go to bed, and wants to have a very funny time doing it. The phonetic repetition is catchy, and encourages the audience to recite along.
Leah Beecher
A great choice for that budding, enthusiastic reader in your house this Summer. I am partial to water colors, and this one has great ones. The simple, mostly phonetically sounded out, and repeated words, that are a MUST if you want your pre-k to 1st grader to easily decode and enjoy a book, make this book a good choice. My 5 year old loves it and mastered it after a few reads. {Free reading tip; let your budding reader read his or her book over and over again. Don't be in a hurry "to master" new ...more
Robin
This may be the cutest dog book I've ever read.
It's simple -- Fred finds all kinds of places that are not his bed before actually getting there. The text is repetitive enough, with the right touch of silliness, and short enough for a toddler time (also perhaps a good beginning reader.)
Ismail's illustrations are certainly a huge part of the appeal. They are watercolor, with a loose, expressive quality (no hard edges or outlines), and while Fred is black and white, he's often got quite an array o
Holly
This reminds me so much of one of my favorite picture books when I was a little kid - Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion. Fred does NOT want to go to bed, so he tries everything to avoid it - he climbs to the top of a tree, lands in a pile of leaves, digs in the flower garden, and leaps into a mud puddle. Even after he is captured and given a bath, he doesn't give up - Fred will remind you of your own child's antics and routines she will insist upon before finally succumbing to sleep. Cute!
Karen
Cute story, trying to get your dog to bed. I have a few issues with this book. First, is this an adult or a child trying to get the dog to go to bed? Yes, the wallpaper in the bedroom is somewhat juvenile. As Fred runs around opting out of going to bed, the back pages stay white - no indication it is dark even thought the clock on the first page reads 8:00. I would have liked to see a clock at the end of the book when Fred is finally in bed!..did he go to bed without dinner?
Kifflie
It's eight o'clock, but Fred the dog doesn't want to go to bed! He races around the house, goes outside and gets filthy (Harry the Dirty Dog would be proud!), has a bath, runs around some more, and even demands a bedtime story.

Then, of course, he still can't find his bed right away.

The artwork is full of splashy colors to reflect Fred's energy level, and the text is simple and conversational, which will make it a fun read-a-loud for young children.
Melanie
Fred the dog does not want to go to bed. When bedtime is first announced Fred takes off to hide. He tries to hide in the garden, in a tree and finally in a mud puddle. Well, of course now he needs a bath. Fred runs out of the bath before he can be dried off. Fred then tries to get into beds that aren't his. Finally the unseen narrator is able to get Fred into his own bed.

A great one for storytime.
Summer Rosswog
For young children who like dogs, this is the perfect naptime/bedtime read. The two-year-old to whom I read it (who love's his dog and all dogs) found Fred's antics to be giggle worthy and the story fun and comforting. The watercolors reminded me of Chris Raschka's "A Ball for Daisy" and "Daisy Gets Lost." The book is not nearly the quality of "Daisy," but it is enjoyable and something fresh for bedtime.
Stephanie Baker
I more or less think this is just a fun book for kids. There is really no lesson behind the reading. Just a dog who is being told it is time for bed and he does everything to disobey his owners. So this book really just goes through the process of getting ready for bed. There are minimal words on each page so it would be an easy book for younger children to read.
Patty
From the cover where Fred is doing a play-bow to the clock, it's obvious that the last thing Fred wants to do is go to bed. The blur of the water color pictures show that Fred is a bundle of energy with a variety of great alternatives to going to bed. A fun Storytime book that children can identify with.
Tracy Clausen
Really a 3-star story, but had to give it four because it reminds me so much of my good ol' dog Fred :) Illustrations help boost the simple text - the repeated "That's not your bed, Fred" + pictures of Fred sleeping under a chair, in the laundry basket and on the owner's bed are really cute.
Margie
It's no easy task to turn off all that get-up-and-go. If you think little humans are the only ones with all this zest, zip and zing, think again. Time for Bed, Fred! (Walker Books For Young Readers, an imprint of Bloomsbury) written and illustrated by Yasmeen Ismail (born in Dublin, now based in London) follows a cutie-pie pooch that is simply not ready for rest and relaxation.

My full review: http://bit.ly/1stRSsp
Courtney
Great story time book! Funny. Short, simple phrases, but with a lot of expression as the narrator tells the dog Fred that it's time to go to bed, and he gets into mischief. Great for toddlers and very young children.
Kelsey
Age: Infant-Preschool

Another dog book does not disappoint but it doesn't go above and beyond one's expectations. Fred is one mischievous dog that listeners can relate to.
Rebecca Ann
The title really says it all, but young dog owning children will likely enjoy it. Best for ages pre/K. I liked teh watercolor/scrap paper look to the illustrations.
Lisa
Great bedtime read

Poor Fred! He's not ready for bed. Your child will love following Fred on his adventures. A happy ending for sure!
Jodie
The plot of the story had me thinking about my dog and the dogs that I have had. Loved the illustrations as I think this is what brings it to another level.
Melle
Nov 01, 2014 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who try to weasel out of bedtime
A sweet book with more engaging illustrations than its text full of interactive question and commands to bedtime-avoidant dog Fred.
Kim
Fred is a very naughty dog. I'm really glad my dog is not this naughty!

Also, this book and I share a birthday. That is all.
Lynn
Sweet book for bedtime - and other times. Great to read to preschoolers and also for beginning readers to read themselves.
Tammy
This story has a rhythm that reminds me of the "Napping House" by Audrey Wood. I love the illustrations and the antics of Fred.
Brindi
I adore these watercolor illustrations! So playful, messy, and perfect for this cute and energetic picture book.
Jill
The best thing about this book is the illustrations. I think kids will like it, but I found it a bit boring.
Cyndi
Nov 23, 2014 Cyndi added it
Very, very cute - made me want to find a friend's or neighbor's child or grandchild to read to!
Linda Atkinson
Cute story about bedtime avoidance. Really love the illustrations. PreK Storytime appropriate
Phyllis
An absolutely delightful book about Fred, the dog, and what he does before going to bed.
Jenny
Reminiscent of A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka. Cute book, but it's been done before.
Smelleykins
Won via a competition on twitter through Waterstones Birmingham. They tweeted saying to respond for an aged group to win a undisclosed book, so i tweeted the age group 0-5. Not expecting to win but deciding if I did, my nephew could have the book. I won. Two books infact.

My nephew copies me with his reading. He is only 2 and pretty much repeatS what you say. So this book is wonderful. He loves dogs too. Go to bed, Fred, is a great childs book to read to them at night time. It’s a simple book and
  • Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep
  • The Baby Tree
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • How to Lose a Lemur
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Where's Mommy?
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Stick!
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Breathe
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • The Promise
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Dog Loves Drawing
Irish-born, Bristol-based Yasmeen Ismail is an award-winning author, illustrator and animator. Yasmeen studied at art school in her hometown, Dublin and graduated in 2002. After Yasmeen moved to London she lent her talents to many different projects ranging from advertising to children's publishing.

After moving to London and running a successful animation production company and having worked in v
More about Yasmeen Ismail...
Specs for Rex Inside, Outside, Upside Down Baby Journal: The Story of... A-lan Tanam Ya Sam (Time for Bed, Fred!) I'm a Girl!