Start by marking “Time for Bed, Fred!” as Want to Read:
Time for Bed, Fred!

Time for Bed, Fred!

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  350 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Meet Fred-a mischievous, playful, loving dog. It's time for Fred to go to bed . . . but Fred really, really doesn't want to! From hiding up in trees, to splashing in muddy puddles, to hiding behind bookshelves, Fred will do anything to avoid bedtime. He would even rather have a bath than go to bed . . . but all of this running couldn't possibly have possibly made Fred slee ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by Walker Childrens (first published July 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Time for Bed, Fred!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time for Bed, Fred!

Laura Harrison
May 06, 2015 Laura Harrison rated it it was amazing
Unique, whimsical, fun illustrations. A very child friendly happy book. Perfect for repeat readings.
Tasha
Mar 03, 2014 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It’s time for Fred to go to bed, but this dog is not ready! Instead of heading to bed, Fred dashes outside and tries to hide in the flower bed. Then he hides in a tree until he falls out of it. Fred then runs and lands in a huge mud puddle. So then it’s bath time for Fred. But just when he’s finally clean, he dashes outside once more! Back inside, he hides in all sorts of places, even after he gets read a bedtime story. Finally, Fred is moved to the right bed and falls asleep at last.

Fred is a d
Jessica
The perfect bedtime story for my rowdy three year old who does NOT want to go to bed, and wants to have a very funny time doing it. The phonetic repetition is catchy, and encourages the audience to recite along.
Leah Beecher
Jul 01, 2014 Leah Beecher rated it really liked it
A great choice for that budding, enthusiastic reader in your house this Summer. I am partial to water colors, and this one has great ones. The simple, mostly phonetically sounded out, and repeated words, that are a MUST if you want your pre-k to 1st grader to easily decode and enjoy a book, make this book a good choice. My 5 year old loves it and mastered it after a few reads. {Free reading tip; let your budding reader read his or her book over and over again. Don't be in a hurry "to master" new ...more
Robin
This may be the cutest dog book I've ever read.
It's simple -- Fred finds all kinds of places that are not his bed before actually getting there. The text is repetitive enough, with the right touch of silliness, and short enough for a toddler time (also perhaps a good beginning reader.)
Ismail's illustrations are certainly a huge part of the appeal. They are watercolor, with a loose, expressive quality (no hard edges or outlines), and while Fred is black and white, he's often got quite an array o
Holly
This reminds me so much of one of my favorite picture books when I was a little kid - Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion. Fred does NOT want to go to bed, so he tries everything to avoid it - he climbs to the top of a tree, lands in a pile of leaves, digs in the flower garden, and leaps into a mud puddle. Even after he is captured and given a bath, he doesn't give up - Fred will remind you of your own child's antics and routines she will insist upon before finally succumbing to sleep. Cute!
Karen
Jan 21, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
Cute story, trying to get your dog to bed. I have a few issues with this book. First, is this an adult or a child trying to get the dog to go to bed? Yes, the wallpaper in the bedroom is somewhat juvenile. As Fred runs around opting out of going to bed, the back pages stay white - no indication it is dark even thought the clock on the first page reads 8:00. I would have liked to see a clock at the end of the book when Fred is finally in bed!..did he go to bed without dinner?
Linda
Jun 19, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Prague (Cesky, Krumlov) in the early 1600's this is a fascinating book based on a true story. It is available from Amazon's Kindle Lending Library.

This is the story of the Hapsburg reign and is filled with withcraft, alchemy, bath maids, bloodletting, mental illness, mystery and romance.

Marketa Pichlerova is the main character, she assists her father in bloodletting and also works as a bath maid in her mother's bath house. She wishes to be a physician but this is unheard of during these
Kifflie
Sep 18, 2014 Kifflie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's eight o'clock, but Fred the dog doesn't want to go to bed! He races around the house, goes outside and gets filthy (Harry the Dirty Dog would be proud!), has a bath, runs around some more, and even demands a bedtime story.

Then, of course, he still can't find his bed right away.

The artwork is full of splashy colors to reflect Fred's energy level, and the text is simple and conversational, which will make it a fun read-a-loud for young children.
Melanie
Fred the dog does not want to go to bed. When bedtime is first announced Fred takes off to hide. He tries to hide in the garden, in a tree and finally in a mud puddle. Well, of course now he needs a bath. Fred runs out of the bath before he can be dried off. Fred then tries to get into beds that aren't his. Finally the unseen narrator is able to get Fred into his own bed.

A great one for storytime.
Summer Rosswog
Mar 05, 2014 Summer Rosswog rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
For young children who like dogs, this is the perfect naptime/bedtime read. The two-year-old to whom I read it (who love's his dog and all dogs) found Fred's antics to be giggle worthy and the story fun and comforting. The watercolors reminded me of Chris Raschka's "A Ball for Daisy" and "Daisy Gets Lost." The book is not nearly the quality of "Daisy," but it is enjoyable and something fresh for bedtime.
Stephanie Baker
I more or less think this is just a fun book for kids. There is really no lesson behind the reading. Just a dog who is being told it is time for bed and he does everything to disobey his owners. So this book really just goes through the process of getting ready for bed. There are minimal words on each page so it would be an easy book for younger children to read.
Patty
Nov 13, 2014 Patty rated it really liked it
From the cover where Fred is doing a play-bow to the clock, it's obvious that the last thing Fred wants to do is go to bed. The blur of the water color pictures show that Fred is a bundle of energy with a variety of great alternatives to going to bed. A fun Storytime book that children can identify with.
Tracy Clausen
Apr 09, 2014 Tracy Clausen rated it really liked it
Really a 3-star story, but had to give it four because it reminds me so much of my good ol' dog Fred :) Illustrations help boost the simple text - the repeated "That's not your bed, Fred" + pictures of Fred sleeping under a chair, in the laundry basket and on the owner's bed are really cute.
Margie
Jun 24, 2014 Margie rated it really liked it
It's no easy task to turn off all that get-up-and-go. If you think little humans are the only ones with all this zest, zip and zing, think again. Time for Bed, Fred! (Walker Books For Young Readers, an imprint of Bloomsbury) written and illustrated by Yasmeen Ismail (born in Dublin, now based in London) follows a cutie-pie pooch that is simply not ready for rest and relaxation.

My full review: http://bit.ly/1stRSsp
LaToya Hixon
This was really good book to read. I had to stop in read in while standing in the middle of the library. Fred really didn't want to go bed. This reminds me of children when they don't want to go to bed and they run around just like Fred. I would really read this to my students.
Heather
Oct 03, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
The two year old really enjoyed this. The illustrations are great at showing movement. Although occasionally needed to be explained as it could be hard for a little guy to figure out what was happening. (dog shaking off water).
Christine Turner
Aug 30, 2015 Christine Turner rated it liked it
Shelves: dog, humor, bibliotherapy
Meet Fred, a mischievous, playful, loving dog. It's time for Fred to go to bed . . . but Fred really, really doesn't want to! From hiding up in trees, to splashing in muddy puddles, to hiding behind bookshelves, Fred will do anything to avoid bedtime. He would even rather have a bath than go to bed . . . but all of this running couldn't possibly have possibly made Fred sleepy, could it? Bound to strike a chord with parents and children with their own bedtime distraction techniques, Yasmeen Ismai ...more
Kelsey
Mar 07, 2014 Kelsey rated it liked it
Age: Infant-Preschool

Another dog book does not disappoint but it doesn't go above and beyond one's expectations. Fred is one mischievous dog that listeners can relate to.
Rebecca Ann
Apr 03, 2014 Rebecca Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The title really says it all, but young dog owning children will likely enjoy it. Best for ages pre/K. I liked teh watercolor/scrap paper look to the illustrations.
Lisa
Dec 31, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great bedtime read

Poor Fred! He's not ready for bed. Your child will love following Fred on his adventures. A happy ending for sure!
Jodie
Jul 23, 2014 Jodie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, dogs
The plot of the story had me thinking about my dog and the dogs that I have had. Loved the illustrations as I think this is what brings it to another level.
Melle
Nov 01, 2014 Melle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who try to weasel out of bedtime
A sweet book with more engaging illustrations than its text full of interactive question and commands to bedtime-avoidant dog Fred.
Michelle
Illustrations are similar to Chris Raschka
Michael
Jul 22, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Good read, especially for parents of children that seem to get that last burst of energy of the day, right before bedtime.
Kimberly
Fred is a very naughty dog. I'm really glad my dog is not this naughty!

Also, this book and I share a birthday. That is all.
Lynn
Nov 05, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Sweet book for bedtime - and other times. Great to read to preschoolers and also for beginning readers to read themselves.
Tammy
Jun 23, 2014 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This story has a rhythm that reminds me of the "Napping House" by Audrey Wood. I love the illustrations and the antics of Fred.
Brindi
I adore these watercolor illustrations! So playful, messy, and perfect for this cute and energetic picture book.
Anderlynn Thrailkill
You love this book. You laugh so hard and you cover your mouth with this adorable giggle when we read it!
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • Digger Dog
  • Smick!
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Fox's Garden
Irish-born, Bristol-based Yasmeen Ismail is an award-winning author, illustrator and animator. Yasmeen studied at art school in her hometown, Dublin and graduated in 2002. After Yasmeen moved to London she lent her talents to many different projects ranging from advertising to children's publishing.

After moving to London and running a successful animation production company and having worked in v
More about Yasmeen Ismail...