Start by marking “An Exorcist Tells His Story” as Want to Read:
An Exorcist Tells His Story

An Exorcist Tells His Story

In this powerful book, the renowned exorcist of Rome tells of his many experiences in his ministry as an exorcist doing battle with Satan to relieve the great suffering of people in the grip of evil. The importance of the ministry to expel demons is clearly seen in the Gospels, from the actions of the Apostles, and from Church history. Fr. Amorth allows the reader to ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Ignatius Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about An Exorcist Tells His Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Exorcist Tells His Story

Start your review of An Exorcist Tells His Story
Anna Elissa
This book is NOT:

1) a collection of horror stories. If you want such stories, go see The Exorcist or The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Granted, this book presents an assortment of possession stories, but does not go into great gory details. And if present, the stories mainly serve as illustrations for the theological/pastoral descriptions. If you're expecting a freak show, you'll be disappointed;

2) a recollection of an exorcist's day-to-day life. It's not even a recollection of an exorcist's job!;

Steve Wiggins
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
There can be no doubt that Fr. Gabriele Amorth was completely sincere in this book. An exorcist in Rome, he claimed to have performed thousands of exorcisms, but this book is mostly laying out his theology. The reader gets a full treatment of the role of God as creator, Jesus and redeemer, and Mary as the mother of God. He talks about angels and demons, but doesn't give much of his own background. The book is an unapologetic appeal to get the Catholic Church to appoint more exorcists.

If you're
Jason
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book for Catholics. Provides insight into real exorcism and is true evidence of the works of the devil. It also provides direction on ways to live your life to stay free from the devil and his works. Once I started reading it, it kept my attention and couldn't put it down.
Aleksiel
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I find this book to be mostly fear mongering. It contains major contradictions and inconsistencies, so I'm baffled how it's popular even among believers. However, I was pleased to find out there are catholics who agree with me.

The author talks about signs to recognize demonic possession, yet says you cannot be certain until exorcism is attempted and you can't tell for sure even after one of two sessions. Some signs of demonic possession are simply ridiculous. I am in a period of long
Robert Federline
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an excellent book. It is not a book of drama and hype or sensationalism. It is instead a calm, prayerful and sincere warning against the devil and his evil influence in this world, and how it has grown in modern society. It is especially interesting that the forward to the American edition/translation is by Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel. For those unfamiliar with him, Fr. Groeschel is a Capuchin Friar, and is a celebrity in the world of Catholicism, known for his insights, ...more
Isay
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would consider this as a life-changing book. Fr. Amorth, former exorcist of the diocese of Rome, explains clearly and in accordance with Catholic beliefs that demons are among us (different from mental illnesses: he also explains the differences in the book). This book, rather than scaring me, has strengthened my resolve to be a good Catholic. I now seek to be closer to God. There are a lot of anecdotes about exorcisms in this book that will make one realize that evil can approach and attack ...more
S.L. Saboviec
This book fascinated me.

It's a tradesman's book--a discussion of the nuts and bolts, of the challenges, and of the community. It could be about plumbing or IT development, but it's instead about exorcisms.

If you don't believe in demonic activity, you'll have a hard time with this book. You'll have to conclude that Gabriele Amorth is outright lying about the things he's seen and the work he's done.

Me, I believe him.
Fr Stabin John Capuchin
Exorcism is one of the ministries which Church do. Jesus has given authority to his disciples to cast out demons and Church is carrying out. This is an interesting book where Fr. Gabriele Amoroth speaks about the importance of this ministry and the lack of minsters in the dioceses. There are many episodes where he narrates about the exorcism but to the end part of the book I felt little boring, I don't know the reason.
Denise Gumbs
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it and live! Read it and learn about narcissism...its diabolical in nature! Read it and be FREE in the name of Jesus Christ Our Lord! Learn the prayers and pray it over your household! Over your job, your kids, your life!

Look around people..narcissism is prevalent more TODAY than any other time in society, who do you think is the ochestrator of this?
Russell Schiwal
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding!

This is not a horror story. This is not a how-to. It is a matter of fact presentation of the reality of the spiritual realm by a man who touched it without fear every day. The prayers at the end of the book were the best part.
Jackie Watts
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a terrifying book - not because it sets out any convincing evidence of demonic activity (it doesn't!), but because it so clearly demonstrates the horrifying logical contortions the human mind is capable of once it has discounted all possibility of its initial premise being wrong.

First of all, you are expected to take it as read that, sometimes, people have problems which are caused by demons. This is a given. You can tell straight away that demons are involved, except when you can't and
Thom Willis
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
First, although the title implies that this book is autobiographical, it is not. It is very Italian, somewhat rambling, and using inconsistent terminology (at least in translation). After having read Mr Adam Bai's Hauntings, Possessions, and Exorcisms, which was very technical and highly organized, this book was somewhat frustrating.

However, originally published in 1990 in Italian, it is apparently the first of its kind, and Fr. Amorth is largely responsible for a modest return to this sort of
PJ Jones
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This is the 2nd time I've read this book. I first read it when the book was first published, but then loaned it out and never got it back. A while back, I repurchased it, this time in the Kindle version.
I am truly amazed about what Fr. Amorth describes. It is scary.
Sometimes, I confess, I have doubts. I am human and so, I sometimes wonder how there can be anything so cruel as demons. Yet, I know they exist. I have only to look at history to know this is a truth: Hitler and the Nazis, Stalin and
Edoardo Albert
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
All right, let me be honest here from the off (rather than the middle or the end). The late Fr Amorth was a bit mad.

But before you nod sagely, thinking that was only to be expected of a man who professed to have performed well over a hundred thousand exorcisms during his years of ministry, let me hasten to add that that wasn't the root of his madness. No, his madness is one I recognise, and it's one peculiar and particular to a certain class of Italian intellectual: it's the madness of
I'm not sure I have much more to say beyond what other reviewers have already said. I was expecting more war stories; the ones the author offers are intriguing, but I was surprised -- pleasantly so -- by two of his take-home points.

First, he established his credibility with me early on by stating very clearly that not all disturbed people have a spiritual problem; for many of them, the issue is strictly psychiatric, and as an exorcist, he cannot help them. In fact, he recommends having a
heardtheowl
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: research
Interesting read - but mainly aimed at the priestly audience. Amorth explains how Exorcists get the cold shoulder from other members of clergy and how he would like this to change plus how he would like there to be more exorcist appointments to be made (and for bishops to learn the Rites, as well).

There wasn't much about exorcising but that is to be expected as it is something only ordained priests with their bishop's or the Pope's blessing should be able to perform. I did find the account of a
Kevin
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Most people will scoff when I tell them that there is such a thing as demonic possession. After having read this book, as well as several other books on the same topic, I am convinced that demonic possession is real and exists today and is not mere superstition. I encourage all who doubt me to read this book, as well as several other great books on this topic, and then let's talk.
Tamara
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
This book taught me the power of the sacraments. My eyes were also opened to the evil that is in the world and the importance of keeping your soul united with Christ. My love for Saint Michael the Archangel started when reading this book. Father Amorth does a great job of showing how Christ is far more powerful than any evil but at the same time that evil is real and not to be taken lightly.
Sylvia Patzold
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I purchased this book as research for the novel I am writing. I thought I would be frightened by reading this book. However, I found it so fascinating and I did not know several things that were highlighted in this book. One can tell that the book was translated from Italian to English but the details are great and the book will help me with my novel.
Amy
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was eye opening. I had no idea! The author, Fr. Gabriele Amorth, writes that was his motivation for writing this book: to bring more awareness about the importance of the ministry to "expel" demons.
The first chapter "The Centrality of Christ" is brilliant and quite possibly the best chapter in the book, along with the second chapter "The Power of Satan". In these two chapters he explains a bit of the basic theology and how to applies to exorcism.
The rest of the book was good. I was
Charles Crain
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: quit-reading
Rick Lee Lee James
This is such a fascinating book and I would welcome any protestant to read it even though it is written by a Catholic. Many misconceptions or cleared up and the prayers of deliverance in the back of the book are worth the price of the book themselves. Very good read, and I strongly encourage all pastors especially to take note.
Melissa
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. it really provides insight as to how powerful the devil and his demons are and how easy it is to be taken by them. This book also shows you how to avoid being taken in possession by them. Everyone needs to read this book and realize they are real and they are trying to get you and your soul. I learned a lot from this book. Learned stuff I did not know.
Salster
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A very honest testimony and overview of the Catholic ministry of Exorcism from an Exorcist. Dispells and affirms many preassumptions of Exorcism. This book provides a wide array of digestible knowledge pertaining to Exorcism, demonology, etc. without overwhelming the reader. A very refreshing and educating read (especially for Catholics).
Father John
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Very informative

I think he achieved his objective from the book. He shares great insight from many years of experience. It was an easy and pleasant read. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the supernatural world.
Liz
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Catholic exorcist Fr. Gabriele Amorth explains the need for deliverance, the reality of demonic oppression, and clearly delineates between psychological / medical issues and spiritual issues.
Lisa, ofs
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A good, clear-eyed look at the activity of the Eternal Jackass, and a well-deserved rebuke directed at bishops who continue to fail in their duty of care against him.
Jacob Knepper
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good insight into how to defend against the evil one, and his tactics. Written by an expert in the field.
Joshy Mathew
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Eventhough i dont agree to some theology stated here this book tells the unsaid but prevailing issues in family, society & individual. His practical knowledge is worth learning.
Vincent
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: current-issues
sobering, straightforward, instructive

The Good: concretely illustrates the battle of good vs. evil in the world; reaffirms the importance of the sacraments

The Bad: more suited as a guidebook for priests who are interested in becoming exorcists; this is heavy stuff

In the introduction, Father Amorth openly states that this book is not intended to demonstrate truths such as the existence of demons, the reality of demonic possession, and the power to expel demons, because those truths have
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What is the your opinion of Satan after reading this book? 2 19 Jun 16, 2013 01:12AM
Catholic Readers: A Discussion on Satan 1 20 Sep 04, 2012 09:10AM

• Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans
  • The Rite: The Making of a Modern Exorcist
  • Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Interview with an Exorcist: An Insider's Look at the Devil, Demonic Possession, and the Path to Deliverance
  • Infiltration: The Plot to Destroy the Church from Within
  • Eucharistic Miracles: And Eucharistic Phenomenon in the Lives of the Saints
  • Father Amorth : My Battle Against Satan
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Humanae Vitae: Of Human Life
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
  • The Demonologist
  • Father Elijah: An Apocalypse (Children of the Last Days #4)
  • Legion
  • The Ninth Configuration
  • How to Find Your Soulmate Without Losing Your Soul
  • Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales
  • Magician's End (The Chaoswar Saga, #3)
Italian Roman Catholic priest and the senior exorcist of the Diocese of Rome.

Amorth authored two books specifically on exorcism. The publications marked a defining moment in literary history, being the first public documents to treat this subject.
The two books An Exorcist Tells His Story and An Exorcist: More Stories are not official Roman Catholic documents, rather personal accounts of his
“Even if this battle against Satan concerns all men and all times, there is no doubt that Satan’s power is felt more keenly in periods of history when the sinfulness of the community is more evident. For example, when I view the decadence of the Roman Empire, I can see the moral disintegration of that period in history. Now we are at the same level of decadence, partly as a result of the misuse of the mass media (which are not evil in themselves) and partly because of Western consumerism and materialism, which have poisoned our society.” 0 likes