Start by marking “Spitfire (Puffin Cove, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spitfire (Puffin Cove, #1)

Spitfire (Puffin Cove #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  299 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Kane has friends. He is content. He carves his celebrated birds and farms on his little slice of heaven in Puffin Cove, Newfoundland, and heals from the tragedy that sent him fleeing from his homeland. But one look at a beautiful redhead in a quiet pub, and the life he has so carefully rebuilt tilts on its axis.
Laura knows there must be something better out there. This is
ebook, First, 300 pages
Published May 25th 2013 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Spitfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spitfire

Miriam Mathew
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This love story wasn't an instant love-at-first-sight kind of thing (not that there wasn't attraction on both sides, which there was), but I liked that. I hate when a woman meets a really, really hot guy and automatically thinks, Yes! That is the man I will marry and save from his tortured past and have lots and lots of babies with!

When that happens, I feel a mixed reaction. Either I'm wondering how many hormone-enhancing drugs the heroine has taken or I'm going like this:

[image error]

But instea
Lindsey
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

photo Laura.jpg

Kane
 photo darkirish.jpg

Great writing, Cute Story.
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Originally reviewed at www.devastatingreads.blogspot.com This is not my typical romance read. Of course, I try not and have a typical romance read, but this one is a bit different despite that fact. The heroine and hero are not young twenty to thirty something, but a bit older and in each other find a second chance at love--if they dare to take it.

Kane: Kane struck me from the opening pages as a bit of a lost soul. He's happy enough with where he is in life, can enjoy life simple's pleasures an
Jodie
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Copy provided by author for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this story. The main characters are mature and well rounded and very likable. The heroine is a strong character who I could empathise with and like, she is the type of woman you could really enjoy being friends with. Although the hero is gorgeous and intelligent he differs from so many male characters in romance books that I have read lately because is not a womaniser or a business mogul and this was really refreshing, not only did I
Epicbookaddict
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Best part of this book-KANE. Holy hotness I could eat him up....ok there are other good parts too.
The book starts off by getting to know Laura and I liked her instantly. She's not a whiny pansie ass female lead-actually she's quite brave from the get go. She's lived and knows what she needs to do for herself and is finally at a place in her life where she is ready to take care of her needs for once.

The fun really starts when she g
Carla Doolin
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yup, I love my own book. I'd be an eejit if I didn't. Which leads me to the thought that perhaps I should have included a glossary, as there have been several comments around the difficulty in understanding the 'language' of Kane and the Newfoundlanders.
I did a really dorky thing the other day, and read it cover to cover. It was the first time I did that since it was published. I really did love it, but wanted to smack both Kane and Laura at one point or another. In the end, love prevailed, of c
Colleen Ciano
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I loved this book. The setting, the romance everything was well written. This story involved 2 mature adults, almost forty which was a welcome change to the twenty somethings that are often written about. Kane and Laura were well developed characters that you just kept rooting for the entire story. Loved it. Hope there is a sequel.
Angi
I really enjoyed this book...it's all about second chances at starting over, second love and having a family again. Laura is always second guessing herself when it comes to relationships but not starting a new life in a new place; Kane isn't looking for a new love but then things change when Laura enters the picture. I hope to read the next book as Laura & Kane start their new life together and Jill starts to live her life again...
Shellygirl
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Carla,
Please don't change how you write. The strong or foul language (to some) is very much a part of your characters personalities. It expresses the life they lead and the truth and realness about them. These characters are yours. If you change how they think and talk they become someone else and not the character you created them to be.
Loved both books. Please write another.
Shellygirl
Mary Mooney
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review, so here it is: This was a perfect love story. It had love, pain, heartache, jealousy, stubbornness, ocean and icebergs, and lasting love. The story flows well and has point of views from different characters. This is my first reading Carla Doolin and I will be reading more from her, great job Carla!
Kathy
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puffin Cove #1
Spitfire by Carla Doolin Spitfire by Carla Doolin was a very good book and I am looking forward to its sequel, Sweetness. I have to admit that I hit a hump in this book at about 26% and set it aside for a few days so I could read something else. But once I picked it up again, I read straight through to the end enjoying every minute of it!

I think the problem with the first 26% of the book was my getting used to Carla's unique style of writing… Her "voice" if you will. It's very in-your-face and kind of pu
Strider28
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spitfire Review

After a year of depression and self-pity Laura decided she needed to change her life. At 39 she had been divorced and her 2 sons were grown and had left home.
Needing to start to live life for herself, Laura quits her job, sells her home and moves from Toronto to Newfoundland with no destination in mind.
She feels free to roam along the coastline and to visit a host of towns and destinations until she finds a place to set down her roots. What she doesn’t expect is to find a place
Morphys Book Blog
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Laura decides to pack up and move, being thirty-eight, almost thirty-nine with two grown sons who no longer live with her has left her wanting more. She decides to move to Newfoundland after visiting there previously with her mom and sons. Laura finds herself in Puffin Cove on her first night and falls in love with the place instantly.

Kane moves to Puffin Cove from Ireland after a tragic accident leaving him unable to stay in his homeland. Five years has passed before he's ready to move on and
Amanda
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked Carla Doolin's "Spitfire", but I can't say it's for everyone. I'm hesitant to post a review because I can't quite decided where I stand with it myself. On the one hand we got off to a rough start, almost like there was a language barrier that made comprehending what Ms. Doolin was writing hard. But on the other, at the center of this book there's a spicy man, turned sweet and a heroine with some life experience that share passion for life and each other. That's all I expected, or wanted, ...more
Tammy Bland
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this for an honest review.

Laura is almost 39, her sons are grown, and she has put her life on "hold" so to speak so that she could be the best single mother she could be. Now she feels it is her time. Time for herself to find something that she enjoys and put herself first. She sells her house and all her furnishings and takes her two suit cases and dog, hops a three hour plane ride to Newfoundland to start her new adventure.

Kane is almost 38 and immediately I fell in Love with him.
Deb Dee (autumn delaney)
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 to 4 STARS

*Got an ARC in exchange for an honest review.*

Everything in this books was designed as the picture perfect love story, even their "fights". I would've given this book a higher rating if not for that. Well, that's just not my cuppa.

h: I liked that Laura braved it and tried to find what really makes her happy, even if that meant not being near her kids. She was a talented, fun loving person who embraced Newfoundland (the place was so fitting for her).

H: Ohhh... Kane! What can I say
Black Butterfly
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: GOODREADS
Shelves: romance, erotica
WHEN I READ I ACTUALLY FEEL I SEE WHAT I'M READING, LIKE A MOVIE. SOME BOOKS I GET A MORE VIVID PICTURE WITH, THIS BOOK I FELT LIKE I WAS ACTUALLY SEEING A MOVIE. MS. DOOLIN'S WRITING REMINDED ME OF ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS "LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER. KANE'S WAY OF TALKING WAS SORT OF LIKE MELLOR'S THE GAME KEEPER. I COULD HEAR HIM, I HAVE AN IRISH MALE FRIEND AND I LOVE TO HEAR HIM TALK. THE STORYLINE WAS SOOO ROMANTIC, I REALLY LOVED KANE, WHAT WOMAN WOULDN'T, HOW VERY SEXY HE WAS. I HA ...more
Anna
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
To be honest when I started reading this book I thought it would be boring.but after first several pages it started to get more and more interesting. characters were wonderful. I fell in love with Kane. well at first I couldn't understand what he was talking about most of the time. but I got used to it really quickly. Laura was real, her feelings were real and I instantly liked her. but at some point I wanted to smack both of them upside the head:) but the kid Shannon, I adore her. She made me l ...more
Kayla
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
The characters in this book are easy to love. It took me a few chapters to get use to Kane's accent but I loved his character. There are several characters and each ones point of view is written in different areas throughout the book. It took me a few chapters to get really into the book but once Kane and Laura gave in to each other it was hard to put it down. I wasn't sure how it was going to end when I first started the book and at the halfway mark I had an idea of what I wanted to happen but ...more
Katerina
"Laura love.This kiss that Ill give to ye is fer all the joy and passion that yeve brought into me life. Fer who ye were,who ye are, and who ye will become. And Im going tkiss ye for meself, to save yer taste on me mouth and in me memory til I can kiss ye once again."

Well done, Mrs Doolin, this is such an amazing book.
I was swept off my feet and could share the emotions Laura went through when falling in love with Kane.
Who wouldnt?

And guess what...if I want to relive these feelings of getting g
Moira
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is great when you get a book by a new author and enjoy it. I like to take advantage of the opportunities to read new authors when the books appear as a freebie or cheaply for my Nook. This was one of those authors. Enjoyed the strong characters especially Kane. How he overcomes the past to build a new life and the setting was great. I could imagine the whales breaching and the large icebergs off the coast of Newfoundland where the story is set. Now off to search for the 2nd book in the series ...more
Dana
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, low-angst
Wow! I absolutely fell in love with this book! Great characters and the setting of Newfoundland is so vivid it becomes an integral part of this story. I live on Vancouver island on the opposite side of the country and I now want to visit Puffin Cove!! Kane is an amazingly sweet and yet tough alpha male (with an amazing accent I might add). This is a fairly long book but I enjoyed every page and wouldn't change a thing. A great relationship story that doesn't need constant drama to keep you inter ...more
Toni
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this for an honest review. OMG this is one of the best books that I have read, and I have read a lot. The story is brilliant, the writing of the book is great and I loved all the characters. What a hottie Kane is aswell, he's handsome, Irish, all I kept picturing was Gerald Butler from Ps I love you. I loved how the author actually used Irish language in the book, which added to Kane's character even more. Can't wait for Landon and Jillians story. Thankyou Carla for letting me review ...more
Highland-dreamer
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book- The characters were great, especially Kane! :) I loved the setting, and the storyline. The writing was good, with dialogue that was reasonable and not very cheesy. But I have to admit that the endearment, Spitfire, got on my nerves. To me, it does not sound like a term of affection, at least not one to use as often as Kane did. And Laura didn't really seem that much of a "spitfire" to me. That small issue aside, I did enjoy reading this book, and I am looking forward to Jillia ...more
Brandy
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I definitely want to remember to pick up the next book in this series. I've already fallen in love with the residents of Puffin Cove just like Laura. Laura says she's running away from home after a long-ago divorce and a newly empty nest, but really she finds a home in Puffin Cove and Kane. Puffin Cove also became a home for him after a personal tragedy, and he finds he's ready to move forward after meeting his Spitfire.
Rachel
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
First I'd like to thank Carla Doolin for a giving me a chance to read this book for an honest review.

Second, I LOVED this book! Kane and Laura were amazing characters, they felt so real in how they acted not only as individuals but with each other. Pacing was perfect and the plot was realistic, I could see these types of scenarios happening in real life.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading real-life scenario books.
Michele
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received this as a free ARC in exchange for a honest reveiew.
I enjoyed this book, it was a wonderful love story of two people coming together after going through some rocky things in their past. I will say though that Laura kind of irritated me at times with all her over thinking. I will say that I was very happy with the unexpected ending! I can't wait to read the next book, I'm interested in what happens to Landon now.
Claudine
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved it, not bias with the fact of the setting being my home province which was the initial draw to the story Kane and Laura are fantastic. Couldn't help but fall in love with the small town residents. I love how others see what we take for granted. Thank you Carla Doolin for a surprising wonderful heart felt story. Can't wait to read Jil and Landon's story.
Kay
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story, well written and funny in places. The story of a midlife crisis and new love when you are turning 40.
I enjoyed all the characters in the book and I could imagine the scenery as it was well described, I so want a holiday in "newfoundland" now.
I am looking forward to the next book of Jill and landon. Well done Carla on your first book.
Heather
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. From beginning to end I was in love. It was nice to finally read a story and be able to enjoy and live the romance. It was not rushed which was my favorite part. You were able to enjoy their love and watch it develop from beginning to end. Great job. Can't wait for next book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Free Romance Book...: FREE Adult Contemporary Romance 13 137 Sep 08, 2013 11:24AM
Read 4 Review: 'Spitfire' An Adult Contemporary Romance 8 35 Aug 04, 2013 08:03PM
Some Like It Hot!: FREE SUMMER READ Still In Love With Kane 7 99 Jul 17, 2013 04:47PM
  • Strings Attached
  • Beyond The Mask (The Beyond, #1)
  • How To Kill Your Boss - An Erotic Love Story
  • Strictly Business
  • A Lady's Pleasure
  • Wildly
  • The Key
  • King
  • One Thing She Knew
  • Love Me Twice (Safe Haven, #3)
  • The Candidate
  • Fall Into Love: Simone Part 1 (Naughty Nookie #1 Part 1/4)
  • Let Me Fly (Learning to Let Go, #1)
  • Somebody
  • Bind Me (Pact of Seduction, #1)
  • Courted by a Cowboy (Wyoming Legacy)
  • Love on the Buchanan Ranch
  • What Not to Bare
I live with my wonderful hubby and two happy dogs in Central Ontario, Canada. My sons are grown and living the life, and I finally have time to pursue one of my passions. I have a lot of them! I love to read, and mostly read contemporary romance...and tour books! I'm a classically trained pianist, a voracious knitter (sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?) and a fledgling Harley rider. I'm also a f ...more
More about Carla Doolin

Puffin Cove (2 books)
  • Sweetness (Puffin Cove, #2)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
  • Wildfire In His Arms
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)