Start by marking “Painless Marketing for Busy Authors” as Want to Read:
Painless Marketing for Busy Authors

Painless Marketing for Busy Authors

4.6  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The A-Zs of book marketing covering the good, the bad, and the surprising!

• Why promotion really is your problem even if you have a publisher
• What is the goal of all marketing and promotion?
• Why negative reviews don’t matter and why you should welcome them!
• How to find your readers
• Why you don’t want to sell your first manuscript
• What is branding and why should you do
Published May 6th 2013 by Valerie Bowman (first published May 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Painless Marketing for Busy Authors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painless Marketing for Busy Authors

A.C. James
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recently, I was supposed to attend an RWA meeting but due to extenuating circumstances I was unable to make it and missed the wonderful Skype workshop Valerie Bowman presented her book—Painless Marketing for Busy Authors.

My friend and colleague, Kathy Kulig, sent me a link to download her book. So I did and I devoured it.

It’s an extremely quick read and a lot of the information presented I already knew. After all I take this writing thing seriously and have been slowly but steadily building my
Tiffany Clare
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic resource for authors--no matter what stage of your career you are in.
Michele Mathews
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon this book looking for something else. After reading a sample of it, I decided to purchase, and I am so glad I did. Even though there aren't many pages, it is packed full of great ideas. I would recommend this book to any author who doesn't have a lot of time for marketing.
Kate Hilton
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A terrific, easy-to-read primer on the various promotional strategies available to authors. I've been doing this for a couple of years, and still picked up some completely new ideas. Thanks, Valerie!
Manda Collins
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Incredibly useful little book with tons of great tips for marketing your fiction.
Leah Good
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Very simple, but I still enjoyed it. I will probably use this book more for its list of possible venues for book promotion than the teaching section on book promo. That said, the teaching section would be a great way to get your feet wet. And for 99 cents, I'm certainly not complaining. So, if you're looking for a simple introduction or a great list of venues to brainstorm off of (venues would be double helpful if you're a romance author since many of the options are geared for that genre), this ...more
Beverly Diehl
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet, and packed with invaluable tips, every author needs to read this. Too many writers I know chase around helter-skelter to promote their latest work, without really having a STRATEGY that works for them. And most authors, whether indie or traditionally published, don't have endless time and financial resources for self-promotion.

This booklet evaluates the value of most of them, offers links to the biggest review sites, offers enough of the WHY to satisfy the people (like me) who alwa
Carolynne Raymond
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to-books
Easy, informative and quick read. I am a newly published Author and have been seeking out books such as this one to learn best practices. Her advice didn't come as a surprise but was a good reminder of all the tools that are out there that you think you have used to only find out you can get a little more out of them. A great example she mentioned about publishing to Amazon, which I had done, and I created an Author profile on the .com site. She pointed out that you can make Author profiles to A ...more
I.S. Anderson
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think this is a very good reference book for authors for the 99 cent price. It gives you some good tips and advice.

The only thing that might deter someone from this is that it was written by a romance writer. She does not tell you only how to market for romance, but that is her area of expertise and does not have any specific information for other types of authors.

Still, there are some good tips for any author and her advice seems solid. I will be implementing as much of these techniques as I
Claudette Alexander
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The author covered what worked for her. Some of them look like a long shot and some of them are doable. Some of the info are valuable to romance writers. Many of the suggestions are aimed at other authors but authors are bombarded with free books so that is not where you would be looking for sales.
I was exhausted reading the list of things to be done.
Overall it does offer some do's and don't which are useful.
Rebecca Colby
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read on marketing your book and yourself. While it is a short book geared towards romance writers, it is chock full of info and tips I've not seen elsewhere and most of the info is transferable to writers of all genres. Definitely one to buy if you are serious about promoting yourself and your work!
Madeline Martin
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bowman lays out the important notes of marketing for authors in a way that is not only entertaining, but also incredibly helpful. If you're needing to market your book, Painless Marketing for Busy Authors is the best place to look!
K.C. Klein
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
GREAT! Valerie Bowman really knows how to break down the information authors want in a simple easy to do format. Thanks for the great resource.
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Quick read, but it had great information in it. A lot of it I knew but there was quite a bit that I'll be checking into implementing.
Janice
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure brilliance!

I rushed through this treatise because I was mesmerized. Trust me, I will read it again. This is pure gold. A must read for all authors.
Maria
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fun and incredibly helpful!
Arlene
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chock-full of good advice. I can't wait to start applying it to promote my first novel.
Eva Devon
Jun 08, 2014
Tessa Arlen
rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2014
Valerie Bowman is an award-winning author who writes Regency-set historical romance novels aka Racy Regency Romps!

Valerie’s debut novel was published in 2012. Since then, her books have received starred reviews from Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist, and Kirkus. She’s been an RT Reviewers’ Choice nominee for Best First Historical Romance and Best Historical Romance Love and Laughter. Two of her books h
More about Valerie Bowman