Start by marking “Unicorn Western: Full Saga” as Want to Read:
Unicorn Western: Full Saga

Unicorn Western: Full Saga (Unicorn Western #1-9)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Cast out from the Magical Kingdom of The Realm and into the dying desert of the Sands beyond, Marshall Clint Gulliver and his unicorn Edward have finally found peace in the small and dusty town of Solace. But when both the fracturing worlds and Clint's bride-to-be are thrust into peril by an old foe, the gunslinger must come out of retirement and aim his seven-shooters at ...more
ebook
Published May 23rd 2013 by Realm & Sands (first published May 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Unicorn Western, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unicorn Western

Demelza Carlton
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If anyone had told me I'd love a book about a gunslinger who fires pink smoke while riding a unicorn, I'd have laughed...then found the first opportunity to Google said silly-sounding book. Oddly enough, that's how I picked up this one - but the recommendation came from one of the authors, after I'd read Fat Vampire.

I was told the first book of the series was free. It might be in the US, but it sure as Hell wasn't in the Australian Amazon store (a reflection on the retailer and not the authors,
Garrett Robinson
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, awesome
Highly, highly recommended. This entire saga thrilled and entertained from start to finish, and I'd recommend it to anyone from pre-teen to adult. An utterly fantastic, engaging tale, with extremely likable and relatable characters (yes, even though Edward the Unicorn is a total jerk).
Ryan Kirk
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a book I really wanted to like. I'm a huge fan of the SPP podcast, and generally enjoy quite a bit of their writing as well. I knew this was the first collaboration between Sean and Johnny, but I was hopeful, because I did like the fat vampire series Johnny wrote.

To the point. First, I should mention that there was some pretty great stuff in this book.

1. It is original. I've never encountered unicorns and gunslingers in the same book, and the mash-up is pretty funny (for a while).
2. The
Charles
DNF - Did Not Finish
These guys know their craft, but knowing how to write and writing something enjoyable are two separate entities.
The concept is interesting, but the execution is lacking. A western set in a Fantasy world should be wonderful and awesome, but this came off as childish and silly, and not at all as cool and interesting as I had hoped.
Better luck on my next attempt at their works.
Warren Bluhm
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It began as a laugh among friends. It has evolved into a nine-novella epic with the promise of two more epics to come. The story of how Unicorn Western came to be is almost as much fun as the actual story.

Sean Platt and Johnny B. Truant are two-thirds of a podcasting team that meets weekly to talk about writing and self-publishing. One day the other third, David W. Wright, took exception to Platt’s stated desire to write a western someday. Too much trouble, too much research needed to make it au
Barbara
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Books 1-9: Other reviewers already summarize the plot very well, and mention the long stretches that are repetitive and boring. One reviewer suggested taking breaks between sections so the story stays fresher, which is probably a good idea for some readers. But as I'm an impatient reader, I read the whole thing over a week or so. From the beginning, I felt like the writers had thrown the story together in a sort of witch's cauldron of other writings/screenplays without even trying to hide them, ...more
Papi Z.
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my. I am not a big fan of western related books, but this one, well, this was just filled with so much awesomeness that I couldn’t resist. I have had to rewrite this review three times, it is so difficult to do without spoiling anything. You must experience the epic firsthand.

Characters. Edward the Unicorn is a jerk. The humor in his jerkiness is amazing though. He is not mean, just a grumpy Unicorn. After reading this, I have decided that every story that has or will ever be written needs a
Leslie Langtry
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dear readers – sometimes I have to scramble to find good fixin’s for my monthly humor post here at Book End Babes. But this time, why a durngunned book just fell into my lap! I was browsin’ the latest offerin’s when I stumbled upon UNICORN WESTERN!

Well, I purt near fell outta my pink recliner! How could I NOT read a book that has both a black-hatted Marshal who rides a snowy white, magical unicorn named Edward? I think y’all can see I had no choice.

So here’s the plan – a crusty Marshal is waitin
Michael Ronn
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read all 9 books in this saga in about 2 weeks, which is pretty fast considering this is a 250K word saga. Where to start? This is such an excellent idea, executed perfectly. The world of the Realm and Sands is realized beautifully, and there are so many great descriptions and lines that help bring it to life.

Clint is a likeable character, reminiscent of Clint Eastwood's characters in the Sergio Leone movies, but talkative and way nicer. Edward was a lot of fun, too, and I thought he reminded
Ciara Darren
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Unicorn Western Full Saga. Whew! Ok. How do I start? Did I enjoy? Yes! Was is whacky as all get out? Yes! Did it work? Beautifully.

After looking at the cover, I was not expecting anything more than a rollicking good read with plenty of laughs and a certain Unicorn named Edward throwing his snarky white hindquarters around to the frustration of his rider Clint, a sand weathered marshal with partial amnesia. After all, I had read the first episode, so I had an idea. Where I
Ellie Julio
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You expect a book with a title like "Unicorn Western" to be funny, maybe even hokey. And it's certainly that throughout, drawing from every canonical western you've ever seen and throwing in deadpan nods to the audience every chapter.

What you don't expect is to have your heart strings pulled until you cry by the plight of a weathered gunslinger searching for his lost love. You don't expect to share in the confusion and pain and joy so strongly. And you certainly don't expect unicorns to be such
Xavier Granville
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Clint and Edward are your typical hardened gunslinger and unicorn duo, both taking each day one at time in the harsh 'Sands' after being cast out of the magical and unreachable 'Realm'.

Through the next nine books, the reader follows Clint and Edwards' adventures across a lushly crafted world that vaguely mirrors our own at times.

Through the rough Sands, past the horrors of the Dinosaur Missouri, over Elf Meadows, and eventually back to the mythical Realm, Clint and Edward travel in search of Cl
Emily Craven
I really enjoyed this 'saga'. What a brilliant cross in genres and at all times highly entertaining. In the end, the reason why I didn't give a higher rating is because I think the format didn't work for me at times. The saga was written in an episodic fashion and if I had read it that way with books in between I think I would have found the diversions in plot and the pace much more enjoyable. But reading all 9 'episodes' back to back meant I was essentially reading a one book plot arc over a pa ...more
Demelza Carlton
Much like the first book in the series, this last opens into action and gallops through the same way until the end.

The epic battle was far more epic than any other in the series - but so I'd expect. It even had me in tears - real tears, not just damp eyes - at one point, for there are always sacrifices to be made and I don't have to like them. And where would an epic fantasy battle be without some mystical bits that confuse everyone until the end?

Yes, I loved this book and five stars was an easy
Blaine Moore
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the series...it started out as a joke, and became pretty serious as time went on. You can still find a lot of inside jokes if you are fans of their podcasts but it all reads as pretty straight even without the "insider" knowledge (and I'm sure there are plenty of jokes that went right over my head despite being a fan of BOU and SPP.)

The Realm wasn't quite what I was expecting it to be and didn't suck me in during the last few books, but it was still an interesting way to conclude the s
Kat Lim
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2014, own, ebook
This series is one of the best $5 I have ever spent on a book. I was lucky enough to find it on sale and picked it up because I have a soft spot for westerns and believe unicorns make everything better.

The humor is well done. I wasn't familiar with the authors ahead of time, so I'm sure there are some inside jokes I missed, but overall the tone is light and enjoyable without being over the top.

I did find the series to be a bit uneven. Books 1 through 3 set up the story well. As mentioned while I
S. Wideman
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I loved this series. I got it because of the hokey premise (I mean, seriously, a western with unicorn!), and I wasn't disappointed. We follow Marshall Clint (who I pictured as Clint Eastwood, because who else can carry on the grit needed for the character) and his faithful unicorn, Edward, as they travel across the Sands to save Clint's lady-love. The book is hilarious with several jokes and situations that made me laugh. The story was splendidly told, the characters evolved through th ...more
Daniel
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, and just couldn't put it down until I'd finished the whole thing.
First of all the characters are very well written, and I feel like Clint, the rugged Marshall and Edward, the surly unicorn, have become friends that I love to spend time with. The episodic nature of the saga works well, with each 'book' having it's own season story arc, with an overall story arc for the saga as a whole, which worked really well in my view.
It made me laugh, it made me sad, and left me
Drae Box
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Unicorn Western because Sean and Johnny talk about it a lot on their podcast (but not in a bad way). I was intrigued, so I grabbed the full copy on Kobo. Absolutely loved it! Lots of action and adventure spurring me on to read the next episode. Struggled a little through episode 8 (if it wasn't that one, it was 7).

Definitely would recommend grabbing this is you want to immerse yourself into a complicated but wonderful world, with a story you just have to get to the end of!
Keith Owens
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sean Platt has a remarkable imagination and I love his sense of humor. This is something that is too often missing in much of today's fantasy and science fiction. His stories are also very well-imagined and the characters are well-developed and simply hilarious. My only criticism would be that it does get a little thick toward the end and a bit hard to follow because so much is going on that it can be a bit hard to keep track. But overall these books are just a joy to read and I will definitely ...more
Dan
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have thought about stopping reading this book for a while. I got half way through and am bored. They lead you on with the main story of Clint never quiet getting to catch the main bad guy. Then you encounter the formula of "move to a new place, introduce a new bad guy, destroy new bad guy, almost catch the real bad guy and then you start the next section." There were truly some funny parts in it that made me laugh out loud. However, the ride is not worth nearly 700 pages of tedium.
Jeremiah Kleckner
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every couple of years, an idea comes along that is so stupid that it is bound to make its creator(s) filthy rich. Unicorn Western carries the same brilliant mixture of completely unrelated elements as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Toxic Avengers, or Robocop while also telling a story that is methodically paced and engaging.
Kelly Chrysler
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, first off I got the first book in this series for free, and right away I was hooked. At the end of it, I couldn't wait to continue to read, so I went and purchased the whole 9 book set, and was it ever worth it! This author has a knack to keep you entertained with action, or humor...just a delightful experience...
Jo Lucas
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love these books, they are fantastic and I will now move on to the prequel!

I thoroughly enjoyed riding through the sands with Clint, Edward and the friends that they picked up along the way as they travelled over the sands and through villages looking for friends, enemies and magic.

A recommended read for all ages.
Annette Rand
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read, and I'll probably look for more books by these authors in the future. I'm not a huge western fan, but I do enjoy fantasy worlds and this ticked enough boxes to make it enjoyable.
Luminita
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Very unpredictable and at the same time very "familiar" in a way. I couldn't put it down until I finished reding it. Totally loved it!
KarenLee
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

I absolutely loved this saga and will immediately read the prequels. It was a fantasy that both involved by brain and my funny bone. What more could you ask for?
Laurie
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Weird, funny, moving and surprisingly dark at times. Read it if the title sounds awesome to you.
Ronald Whited
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Strong first half, weak second half/ending.
Amy
Oct 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Can a joke book still be awesome? 1 6 May 28, 2013 07:51PM
  • Iron William and the Carpenter's Tears
  • Awakening (The Twins Of Saranthium, #1)
  • The Bialy Pimps
  • Love on the Run
  • Chaos Bound (Chronicles from the Applecross #2)
  • Among the Debris (Son of Rain, #2)
  • The Riddle of Prague (The QuickSilver Legacy Series) (Volume 1)
  • Iron Mike: A boy. A dog. The end of the world.
  • Elevation of the Marked (The Marked #2)
  • Piper at the Gate (Heavenly Horse, #2)
  • Kitsune: A Little Mermaid Retelling
  • The Emperor's Edge Collection (The Emperor's Edge, #1-3)
  • Ocean's Justice (Ocean's Gift - Turbulence and Triumph Series, #1)
  • Mask of the Swan (The Fearless, #2)
  • The Soldier's Secret
  • 1/2986 (1/2986 #1)
  • Hero For Hire: A Historical Fantasy of Myths and Monsters (Eno the Thracian Book 1)
  • Dusk (Tales of Noreela, #1)
Sean loves writing books, even more than reading them. He is co-founder of Collective Inkwell and Realm & Sands imprints, writes for children under the name Guy Incognito, and has more than his share of nose.

Together with co-authors David Wright and Johnny B. Truant, Sean has written the series Yesterdays Gone, WhiteSpace, ForNevermore, Available Darkness, Dark Crossings, Unicorn Western, The
More about Sean Platt...

Unicorn Western (9 books)
  • Unicorn Western
  • Unicorn Western 6
  • Unicorn Western 7
  • Unicorn Western 8
  • Unicorn Western 9
“Isn’t it interesting that in any sustained economy, it’s those who have the most that are soon the only ones who truly need the currency?” 0 likes