Start by marking “Something Like Autumn (Something Like, #2)” as Want to Read:
Something Like Autumn (Something Like, #2)

Something Like Autumn

(Something Like #2)

Love can appear unexpectedly: a chance meeting at a friend’s wedding, the arrival of a handsome new co-worker… or while being robbed at a convenience store.

For some, love seems an impossible dream. Growing up gay in small-town Missouri, Jace Holden thought his chance would never come. When he meets Victor—a wild soul and fellow outsider—his chances of finding love go from
Published May 31st 2013 by Jay Bell Books (first published April 12th 2013)

Kyle
Mar 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Not sure why but I just cannot get into this books. I've had a lot of friends recommend them but despite my best efforts I just could not get into the story. I don't know if this the time period, the characters or the writing style but it felt like it took me forever to get this far.

Whatever you do though, don't let this stop you from giving the books a try on your own.
Breann
Audiobook reread 12/29/15

OMGAWWWWWWWWDDD. Why did I just do that to myself?

But I'm pretty sure I'll do it again, in the future.

It's just too good.

*****

The truth is out. Jace is not, in fact, perfect. Close, but not quite.

Jace was a confused teenager, he couldn’t see a happy ending for himself being gay. There was no role model for him and nothing to set a precedent that gay men could have happy and fulfilling lives. Luckily, that changed with the meeting of Victor.

Oh, Victor. How I wanted to h
Jerry
I did not have a strong desire to read this book. It is the third in the author's series about the same characters. I thought, what more does he have to say? This book turned my head around. I loved it more than the first two.
Jace was so real to me. My heart bled for him thru all his life altering situations. Loved Greg, especially because he remained true all through Jace's life and its nice to have a heterosexual friend who is truly your best friend. Victor was kind of an enigma. I wanted to l
Xia Xia Lake
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mymymble, Linda, Tamara
Man.....
What a lovely book.

Three months ago I've read Something like Summer and ended up with a raging fury and a broken heart. Now, Jace's life story and POV for the events from Something like Summer were like a balm.

If I were to compare the two books, Something like Summer was like a storm, while Something like Autumn was like a single violin playing in the moonlight.
Just like Jace's personality.
And the song I kept hearing was Kreutzer's Violin Sonata No 9.

He was always my favorite. #TeamJac
Will Lutes
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sidebar before the review: After reading this book in two sittings, I can say I am completely hooked - not only on the cast of characters in this series (which are immediately memorable, but also each in his own way, friends you can wait to catch up with - a credit to the author's loving touch), but also in how each pulls you in - not by dragging you into it, but by careful peeling away of themselves until you are left with their core. That the author included a personal note at the end to under ...more
☆ Todd
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay, I'll admit it. I was an asshole. When I first read book 1, 'Something Like Summer', I really loathed the restrained, two-dimensional Jace in that book. Ben was supposed to be with Tim. Period.

Then I read book 3, 'Something About Autumn', and felt like a complete dick. This book takes you through all of Jace's backstory and was truly a journey, not simply another story.

The trilogy definitely challenges your emotions to come to terms with three amazing main characters, two deeply in love wit
Mercedes
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let it be known from the beginning that I am Team Jace. Yes, after reading Something Like Summer I was left very upset because of what i felt was an unfair ending to his story. So I was looking forward to reading his story even though the ending was somewhat spoiled. I wanted to know what made Jace the man that he became.

In short Jace's life story is one full of the search of love and commitment. His story starts with Jace deciding to take his life because he is afraid of ending up alone and unl
Albert
Shelves: gay
Wow. With tears in my eyes I read the last three words and finished this book. The tears surprised me, because I did read the previous two books by Jay Bell (Something like Summer/Winter) and these book already tell you how this book ends.

I have to be honest. When I first read on Jay's website he was writing a book on Jace, I was not too enthusiastic. While reading Something like Summer, Jace was the least interesting character. I even disliked this character. He was too perfect and too nice. We
C
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Something Like Summer, I didn't really warm to Jace like most readers did. I felt like he was just too perfect. He put up with so much from Ben and just kept smiling.

But after reading Something Like Autumn and finding out who Jace REALLY was, I pretty much love him with the passion of the white-hot sun. His first love, Victor, his parents and Bernie, his best friend Greg, and his amazing sister Michelle gave him so much more depth than was seen from Ben or Tim's POV. I wish more of his story
Lena♥Ribka
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3,5 stars. And I'm very generous.

I loved this book up to 60%. And then I stopped to love it.

There are probably several things that went wrong for us, I mean me and the book.

◆ I have read recently Memorizing You by Dan Skinner and Superhero by Eli Easton that I LOVED A LOT. It won't be that easily to find a YA-book that can impress me as much as these both books.

◆ I don't know HOW important was for the plot to know the previous sequels. I've read that it could be read as a stand alone. I didn
Chris Horsefield
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's been two days since I finished it and it still makes me tear up. I already loved the character Jace from the earlier books in the series, and was sad about how his story turned out, but now I love him even more. Even though I knew the basic story from Something like Summer, I couldn't wait to get to the part with Ben just to experience the story from Jace's perspective.
Jay Bell -- You have a talent! Thank you for such a wonderful series
Sara
Rating 3.5 stars rounded up

Question: How do you go into a book basically knowing how it will end? Knowing the fate of the MC…I still don’t know. I have no idea what wild hair crawled up my behind to message my girlfriend and say “Hey! Wanna read Autumn with me?” WTF was I thinking? See, I knew this would be a tough read, I know how it all ends and I really did not want to deal with it, not at all but I had to. But, here is the thing; when I first met Jace in Something like Summer I liked him
Stephen
Just finished this and can't imagine where the fourth book in the series will take us.

This trio of books deals with many of the same events as told by three participants in this wonderful story. The first written was centered on Ben, a happy go lucky, out gay Texas boy that we meet just before his junior year of high school. He meets and falls for Tim, a young man who's just moved to the area from Kansas. While Ben's parents are loving and supportive of their son, Tim's are distant and self inv
John Ames
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you ever have to read a novel before you die, it will be this precious little gem here. Something Like Autumn is the story of Jace Holden before the events of Something Like Summer. And let me tell you that I fell in love with him in that novel, but now, I'm completely and madly in love with him with this one.

Jace Holden had it all. He was good looking, had loving parents, the perfect sister and a cool down-to-earth best friend. What was missing from his life? Somebody to love. There was a pa
Fangtasia
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read the first two books in the Seasons series, I knew going in how this one was going to end. What I didn't know was that my heart would be shredded, minced, mutilated, and stomped on before the painful end arrived.

Now I better understand why Jace reacted the way he did to Ben and Tim's shenanigans. When first reading through those situations, I'd ascribed his behavior to being older than the other guys, more experienced and mature. Still, it made Jace feel like a paper figure for me, l
Jason Robertson
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'll try to review this without spoilers. If you read Something Like Summer you will understand me when I say I was excited and terrified to read this book. This was a beautiful story about the kind of man we all want or should want to be like. Like his other seasons novels the author does a magnificent job of bringing you into a wonderfully written story. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

I'll warn you though I loved this story and it might be my favorite from this author so far but I
Madison Parker
So many creys! I've put myself through this three times now... and what I want to say more than anything is Thank You! Thank you for allowing me to get closer to Jace, a beautiful soul. He is a remarkable man. Despite the pain of losing him once again, I feel honored to have gotten to know him better, to see where he came from and how his past shaped him into the man he ultimately became. And I'm so very grateful that he found the love and intimacy he so desperately wanted.

Salsera1974
Something Like Autumn returns us to the world that Jay Bell has created in his Seasons series, which focused on the loves and lives of Ben Bentley, Tim Wyman, and Jace Holden. This time, however, our focus is on Jace.

As a young gay teenager growing up in small-town Missouri in the early 1990s, Jace starts off the book feeling optimistic in the immediate moment, but he predicts future despair: he believes that as a gay man, he will die unloved and alone. (view spoiler)
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★

I knew what was going to happen to Jace, but the story as a whole, I simply did not see those feels coming. *sobs* And....straight to my heart.

This is Jace's story, and his story was beautifully done, he was a precious soul. But most important~

He was Loved.

*At the end of the book, there was a personal note from the author- it was heart-felt~ Jay Bell~ be-still my heart *hands over heart*

If you are reading this series, and you liked the first 2 books, don't skip this one; it's so not worth skip
Fernanda Parente
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I neves cried so much reading book. I kept holding the book close to my heart and I couldn't stop crying. Nevertheless I loved and it became one of my favourites
Anna D.
GR, allow us to rate books higher than a 5. Sometimes there are special circumstances where a 5 is just not sufficient.

OMG! That was unbelievable! If I thought SLS was hard to read, this was next to impossible to get through, especially the last bit. I'm utterly devastated, my breathing erratic, my nose stuffed, my face wet, and my eyes swollen.

Full review:
Whoooooo!! Jesus All-Mighty!! Jay Bell, you shattered my heart with this one!! It may sound like I’m overreacting, but I’m telling the God’s
Brian
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Despite knowing how this book was ultimately going to end, and despite the reservations I had about the main character going into the novel, I wanted to read Something Like Autumn anyway, given how much I adored Something Like Summer and Something Like Winter. If you haven't read those two pieces yet, I strongly encourage you to stop reading this review and crack open those books! For the rest of you, continue on...

(view spoiler)
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆ by: Tamara
Even knowing before hand how this was going to end, it still gutted me. I think it hurt more this time around. In the summer book, I hurt for Ben. This time I hurt because it felt like I lost a friend.

I loved getting Jace's back story. His romance with Ben felt a little glossed over.
I want a story for Victor. He was a bit of a nut, but he was a loveable nut.
This series is just full of feels.

I'm looking forward to the movie, based on this series.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: Breann
I'm speechless, translating to unable to write a clear, concise review of this absolutely fabulous story of Jace, who we first met in Something Like Summer. I loved Jace in that first book and cried my heart out when he died but this story helped me get to know him so well that I feel like I've lost a close friend and I'll be in mourning for a while.

What I loved most--- the author's gentle and honest handling of the topic of suicide throughout the story, including his personal note at the end o
Justin Nova
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Let me start by saying I am not always a fan of longer books but this series seems to be one of the exceptions! I liked the first two books and always adored Jace who was so kind and patient through all of the stuff with Ben and Tim. Some people said they thought he seemed aloof and cold but I never felt that way.

This book is kind of hard to review because so much happens that shouldn't be spoiled for other readers. You think to yourself "I know the end, what else is there to say here?" but you
Jo Sowerby
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading one of Jay's books is like adding another dimension to the ever expanding story of Ben, Tim and Jace. Having read the previous two books in this series, I was excited to find out more of Jace's back story. In this novel, Jay explores Jace's life from his late teen angst to coming out to his best friend and family and meeting the enigmatic Victor, right through until the point where he meets Ben.
Jace's story is a revelation as we follow him from a life changing decision through to accepta
Aniko
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This book really deserves a proper review and not just my visceral reaction to it jotted down in a couple of sentences, but I didn't read it with reviewing in mind. So here are my completely inadequate sentences: I have only just finished this book. I knew what would happen, I read Something Like Summer. Still, I hate you right now, Jay Bell! You've broken my heart! Again! I loved Jace the first time I met him, I loved he and Ben together. And I loved him even more this time around, along with V ...more
Roger Kean
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is a very hard trick to pull off, to write a book which will engage the reader's heart fully, when the end is fully known. It's extremely unlikely that anyone reading Something Like Autumn won't have already read Ben, Tim, and Jason's stories and know how Jace ends toward the conclusion of Something Like Summer. And yet that is exactly what Jay Bell has pulled off magnificently.

In essence the first two were devoted to the lives of Ben and then Tim, with Jace playing a vital but secondary role
Justin
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 well deserved stars!!
I finished this book a few weeks ago and I've been trying to figure out how to write a review. I just don't feel I can do this book justice so I'm just going to say this is a "must read". I suggest reading Something Like Summer first and if you fall in love with the characters like I did then read Something Like Winter. At that point you will likely want to start Something Like Autumn immediately so have your copy ready. I absolutely LOVED all three of these books and can'
M.E.
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Never in my life have I been so moved and inspired by a book. Jay Bell has created a character that I already loved and cried over and made him something that I will love for the rest of my days. I love Jace, love him with all my heart. His story, and pain will sit in my mind forever.

This book gives me hope. Hope in life, love, and it helps assure me that you can't save everyone if they don't want to be saved.

I am not religious, but God bless you Jay Bell.
  • Abandoned (Little Boy Lost, #2)
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • Raise Your Glass (Tales from Foster High, #3)
  • Another Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #2)
  • Fearless
  • The Painting of Porcupine City (Mateo, #1)
  • Silent
  • Every Time I Think of You
  • Christmas Kitsch
  • Memorizing You
  • Xylophone
  • The Last Day Of Summer
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
Jay Bell never gave much thought to Germany until he met a handsome foreign exchange student. At that moment, beer and pretzels became the most important thing in the world. After moving to Germany and getting married, Jay found himself desperate to communicate the feelings of alienation, adventure, and love that surrounded this decision, and has been putting pen to paper ever since.

Something Like (9 books)
  • Something Like Summer (Something Like, #1)
  • Something Like Winter (Something Like, #3)
  • Something Like Spring (Something Like, #4)
  • Something Like Lightning (Something Like, #5)
  • Something Like Thunder (Something Like, #6)
  • Something Like Hail (Something Like, #8)
  • Something Like Rain (Something Like, #9)
  • Something Like Forever (Something Like... #11)
“You want something that belongs only to us, that no one else can touch. A relationship, a marriage is nothing without a promise. Only the promise matters, because once it's broken, nothing is left. I promise you, Jace, that I love you. I love you now, and I will love you forever and ever. Nothing can change that.” 10 likes
“You know how they say you can never go home again?

Yeah.

They're full of it. The truth is, you can never leave home. Not completely.”
8 likes