Start by marking “They Might Be Demons” as Want to Read:
They Might Be Demons

They Might Be Demons

No one likes tourists, especially when those tourists are demons from the underworld with a penchant for torturing and killing all humans.

When people say, "All hell broke loose", they probably weren't talking about They Might Be Demons. Although Hell doesn't exactly "break loose" in this book, it does take a little vacation. Destination? Earth. And while that may sound lik
Paperback, 1st Edition, 204 pages
Published May 2013 by Dark Moon Books

To ask other readers questions about They Might Be Demons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Might Be Demons

Vincenzo Bilof
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best satirical novels use the failings of a particular phenomenon in pop culture as the backdrop for a story; you'll often discover a touch of humanity to complement the witticisms--and criticisms--that are wrapped in the complicated Pandora's box which reveals truths and habits about our world we're not prepared to leave behind. Using the horror genre as his vehicle, Max Booth III deconstructs our fascination with destroying ourselves in compulsory fashion. If the creators of South Park dec ...more
Matthew Dexter
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This collection is fun and easy to read. I did not love every chapter, but some made me laugh and spit beer into the ocean. The most hilarious sentences and thoughts I've read in years. Bizarro-fiction being the second phase of my recent self-indoctrination to reading new genres, this was fascinating. The back cover blurb from some fucking bird is genius and the idea makes me wish I thought of something similar. The pages preceding the collection are brilliant and funny. These stories are linked ...more
Frank
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I REALLY wish Goodreads would allow half star ratings because I REALLY want to give Max Booth III's THEY MIGHT BE DEMONS three and a half stars. More so then any other book I've wanted to give three and a half stars to before this one. I know I could just be nice and give it the full for stars (and I just may after some time to really digest the aftermath) but I have this thing against being that generous with short story collections. My hang up, deal with it.

Enough about me, on to the book. I w
Michael
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you've read the blurb on the Amazon description you'll notice that this is a collection of short flash fiction pieces or a novel that really has no direction. It's suggested that you read this on the toilet and that you can read this however you want. You can read the stories in any order but the book has no table of contents so unless you know someone who has created one you may as well just start at the beginning.

Max Booth has given us an interesting idea. Why just release a book of short
David Eccles
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Funnier than watching a sword swallower get the hiccups, more addictive than peanut butter cups, and far deadlier than accepting a drink of Kool-Aid from a guy called Jim Jones.
All of the above apply to Max Booth III's book, "They Might Be Demons", a collection of flash fiction, short stories and other oddities that will have you rolling in the aisles (and possibly the subject of exorcism by a Priest and his over-enthusiastic congregation if you happen to be reading it during a Catholic funeral)
G. Munson
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
As described, this book is a collection of (sometimes VERY loosely) related flash stories about...well, demons...and satan...and zombie hitler...and a man-eating pie...and more things than I should mention because it will just sound horribly weird. It is, but in a good way. It IS bizarro, you know? I had a great time reading this book, and there was very little about it I didn't like. The only downsides for me were the one or two stories that didn't seem to fit in at all (and I don't think came ...more
Lori Michelle
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Max Booth III has done it again with this fabulous new collection of flash fiction stories. Set up to become a sort of loose novel, the stories can be read individually without them losing any of the impact. Described as being a collection of bizarro tales, it holds much more than that. Yes, many of the stories are bizarre, funny and downright ridiculous, but there are also scary stories, touching stories, informative stories, and stories that make you want to cry. They Might Be Demons has it al ...more
Tara Hall
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up from the author with the promise that he'd write an insulting inscription. While he was too nice to go all out on that, I was very happy to find that the short stories within the book are very wicked. hysterically funny, and always leave me in a good mood. Buy this book for your guest bathroom NOW...you will not regret it! No one else could make a knife wielding murderous pie so entertaining!
Chantal Noordeloos
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was a bit worried about this one, because I'm not sure about bizarro. But this story had such a great voice and I loved the subject. Am a bit partial to hell and demons, and this book was very amusing. I might have even chuckled once or twice.
Rodney
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A simply fun read. Creepy and hilarious at the same time, it was one of my favorite flash fiction collections I have read so far. This being my first extended experience inside the mind of Max Booth, I plan to go there more often. The town of Vermillion, Indiana is in for one HELL of an experience.
The best shorts in my opinion were: Snapshot in the Book of Screams, Striptease, I am the Zodiac Killer, The Author Reads from They Might Be Demons, On the Roadside, The Child Smiling, Less guilt More
John Ratcliff
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
If there are two kinds of people in life I can't stand, it's people who read romance books and people who write romance books.
"They Might Be Demons" is a highly entertaining and demented, fucked-up-acid-trip of an experience summed up in under 200 pages of flash fiction sewer poop. It IS NOT a romance book, btw.
The mind of Max Booth III is a wonder-filled carnival of delight and terror that stretches from the prehistoric pterodactyl to the sweetest reaches of a killer blueberry? pie.
The nod to
Jun 19, 2013
Anna Devine
Oct 04, 2013
Max III
May 24, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Terri
Kenny Diveley
Suzanne
Pam
May 31, 2013
Max Booth III is the author of four novels. His mom has read at least one of them. He's the Editor-in-Chief of Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing and an ongoing columnist at Litreactor.com. He works as a hotel night auditor in a small town outside San Antonio, TX. Follow him on Twitter @GiveMeYourTeeth and visit him at www.talesfromthebooth.com.