Start by marking “The Keeper: A Brilliant Darkness Story (Brilliant Darkness, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Keeper: A Brilliant Darkness Story (Brilliant Darkness, #1.5)

The Keeper: A Brilliant Darkness Story

(Brilliant Darkness #1.5)

Peree knows what he’s doing as the new Keeper of the Water Bearer, Fennel.

He knows Fennel’s Sightless. He knows that means the Scourge can’t hurt her while she gathers fresh water for her people. He knows how to wield his bow and arrow to take out the revolting flesh-eaters when they swarm around her. He’ll motivate her, distract her, do anything he can to keep her working
Published (first published November 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Keeper

Karen
I loved Peree's POV of the first chapter of the first book.

We see his struggles and his confusions of doing what is best for his people but also what is best for the Water Beaer, Fennel.
he knows he must hate the Groundlings, his been told all his life. But the more he observes Fenn, the more fascinated and impressed he is with her.
Her courage and bravery he admires, despite being sightless, she walks with such grace that he can't help but stare at her and her beauty.

yet he risks angering and
Faith
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Let it be known that I love his POV 10000000000000000x more than hers.
Rosemary Standeven
Although this short story comes chronologically after the first book in the “Brilliant Darkness” trilogy, it can be read as a standalone – which is how I read it. It is a lovely tale of love overcoming the prejudice incited by years of tradition and separation of two tribes – a bit like Romeo and Juliet, but so far without the tragedy or major violence. For me it was a compelling introduction to the trilogy, and I made sure that I bought the first book in the series as soon as I finished this ta ...more
Joana
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it

"Suddenly the choice is easy. I choose her."

This novella is told entirely on Peree's POV and although it was great to be on his mind, I admit I'm still a bit disappointed, because I wanted more!

Greedy much?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I wanted his POV is some crucial scenes ahead in the story! All that angst and romance!
Anyway, still it was nice to read the beginning of the story and his impressions of the Groundlings.
Kalli Bunch
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a novella from Peree's perspective. It gives a unique insight on what it's like to be a lofty. I first got into this series in the Shatter Worlds Box Set (Which I wholly recommend you buy and read) in The Scourge. That is most definitely a book you want to read if you're gonna get into this series. It begins there then continues in The Defiance. You will LOVE this epic series, which is unlike any other I have found so far.
Lisa Eiff
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first reading of anything written by A.G. Henley. I liked how her characters were presented, and I enjoyed the slight romantic vibe between these two adolescents while they were performing the tasks expected of them to help benefit their individual societies in this post-apocalyptic world. I look forward to reading more from this author and getting to know the characters in this series better.
Tammy
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good short from Peree's POV. Since I had just finished the first book, The Scourge, everything was still fresh and it just added to the story and explained a couple things about him. I received a book in exchange for an honest review.
Megan
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wish it were longer.
Rometta
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love tis it gives his point of view.
Kerri
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not super into the end of the world/zombie genre but this was a good introduction novella nevertheless. If the author writes anything different I might give it a shot.
Ellie Wyatt
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
cute little novella from peree’s perspective of when he meets fenn!
Laura Masciarelli
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Peree’s job is to protect sightless Fennel, shooting arrows at the horrifying flesh-eaters from high up in the trees as she collects water for the community. She is the person chosen to collect water because being sightless, the flesh-eaters can’t hurt her. Peree’s job is not so much to protect her as it is to insure a continuing supply of water for his people. But, he slowly falls in love with Fennel.

This is a five-star, truly great book. Henley paints beautiful pictures with her words from the
Fly To The Sky
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who want to read more about Peree from The Scourge
This review first appeared on my blog, Read Books and Live Green

How I would blurb it: A great short story with a great insight into Peree's character, for those who are anxiously awaiting the the second book in the series.

I was so excited for this short story. A.G. Henley's first book was sooooo good! And when I realized there was going to be a short story from Peree's POV? I immediately went and bought the book!!

MY THOUGHTS
Okay first of all, the cover......WOW! It goes with the cover for the fi
Sandra "Jeanz"
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Keeper by A.G. Henley, author of The Scourge, a finalist for the Next Generation Indie Book Award: Peree knows his duty as the new Keeper of the Water Bearer, Fennel, is to make sure his people get every drop of their share of the water she collects when the flesh-eating Scourge roam the forest. He will motivate her, distract her, do anything he can to keep her working. He knows his duty is to his people and his people alone. What he doesn’t know is that he's falling in love with her.
MY REV
Lillian
The Keeper by A.G. Henley is a fantastic snippet into Peree’s POV for those who needed more after The Scourge. Set during the first part of the book and leading up to just before Fenn’s surprise, I found myself falling for the Lofty boy a little more as I read.

Peree is a bit of a mystery at the beginning of the series. I loved seeing his initial meeting with Fenn through his eyes. This is a boy who fell head over heels for a girl who he shouldn’t. And I love that that doesn’t stop him. And his r
Michael Long
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a short story about two peoples...one who lives in caves and another who live in the trees. A third group...some kind of monsterous creatures called the Scourge lurk in the forest and try to kill everyone. Only a sightless water fetcher can get water for both peoples without being attacked. The Keeper is from the trees and charged with protecting the water fetcher.

I found the world building to be great and the story very intriguing. This is a dystopia as it is set after the fall of our
Dani
I already LOVE Peree, and now getting to see the beginning of his and Fenn’s story through his eyes, I love him even more.

I didn’t think that was possible, but I do. le sigh…

And not just Peree, but seeing Fenn through his eyes is a highlight as well, giving me an even greater respect for her and her courage.

Peree also gives us an invaluable view of the Lofties and what life looks like for them, further establishing the idea that the Lofties and the Groundlings are two groups of people who fierce
Emma Andrews
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Keeper is stunningly spot-on. I love this book quite honestly and for more than one reason. First off, The Keeper gives readers a glimpse at what Peree is feeling at each moment we've previously read from Fenn's perspective. The Keeper gives readers more to think about. After reading The Keeper Peree's character felt more real, relatable, and more developed. By reading from Peree's perspective I gained more understanding about Peree's character and the ones he is close to, this is a kind of ...more
Larissa
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is Peree’s point of view.

This book takes place a bit before Pereel is to meet the person he’s to keep safe from the Scourge while collecting water for both communities… But as you know more than protecting someone’s life is what Peree has in mind. You are going to witness his feelings towards Fenn (and since when), his relationship with family; and honestly, you will laugh, and be a but more surprised about this character.

The book will tell his POV ‘til when he provides Fenn the rope for h
Donna
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is getting 4 stars and not 5 simply because I wasn't on the edge of my seat as I was with The Scourge. That has nothing to do with the story or the writing, but rather it stems from the fact that I already know what the Scourge are and what becomes of Fenn and Peree and so, by extension, this novella was less gripping. This is often the case with books written from an alternate character's POV. Having said that, I still really enjoyed it and am very much looking forward to reading Book Two ...more
Makenzy
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to see that there was a companion story to The Scourge, and that it was from Perees POV. It really helped me understand the depth of Perees feelings for Fennel from the very beginning, and his thoughts about her and their world. The sneek peek of Book 2 was awesome, and made me even more excited than I already was1 The Keeper was everything I was expecting and more, and it is on my Favorites List along with The Scourge. ...more
Jenny
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for fans of The Scourge. Fenn is such a wonderfully written strong female character, and now in The Keeper, you get to follow the story from Peree's perspective. I loved getting to know Peree's character and learning more about his feelings. I can't wait for more and hope to hear more from Peree in the future!
Terri Bynum
This novella gives us Peree's point of view. It's been quite some time since I've read The Scourge; what this book managed to do was remind me of why I fell in love with the book in the first place and to make me painfully homesick for these extraordinary characters. Cannot WAIT for the next installment!
Jamie Teixeira
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed more

I know this is just a novella but what was written was just not enough. I absolutely love Peree but only getting a glimpse into his thoughts and how he feels about Fenn is torture. I want a whole book on his POV. Henley if you read these reviews please complete his POV of the first book.
Alice Anne
A post-zombie world where two communities have formed, those in the trees, and those on the ground. Each needs the other to live, and both must face the "seasons" of the dead. One girl who was blind from birth, seems to be invisible to the dead which makes her task in this society terrifying but mandatory.
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This 1.5 in the Brilliant Darkness series was free on Kindle. It's only around 40 pages detailing Peree's side of the very first few chapters in the story before he offers Fenn the swim. It's a quick and fun read, but it's definitely not necessary. I only read it out of curiosity because it was free and short.
Keeley Brothers
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really like the full size stories in this series, but this was kind of a joke. The story was nice - it's cool to have more sight based description as opposed to sound/smell based descriptions, and we all like Peree - but it just didn't add anything to the series itself. It ended at an awkward point and didn't really add to the character development of Peree.
Chris Torretta
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was fabulous to read more about thud interesting group. There are some things given that weren't in The Scourge do having s different point of view was nice. Didn't have the same pull as book one but still a good middle book.
sabrina caho
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015

free from amazon.com

the first chapters of The Scourge in the guy's POV
Cathlin
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great addition to the series. I wanted it to be longer because I love Peree so much and probably would read a whole book with his POV of The Scourge. It was cute to see how much he liked Fennel before he even really met her. Can't wait for the next installment- the teaser at the end killed me!
  • Darkest Worlds: A Dystopian Anthology
  • The Scribe (Mindjack Origins, #3)
  • Thorns (The Frost Chronicles, #2)
  • Matt Archer: Bloodlines (Matt Archer #4)
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • Eve Hallows and the Book of Shadows (The Nightmare Series, #2)
  • Dragoon (War of the Princes, #2)
  • The Orphan and the Thief
  • World of Shell and Bone (Glimpsing Stars, #1)
  • Starchild: The City of Souls (Starchild, #2)
  • The Most Precious Memory
  • Warrior's Moon
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #1.5)
  • Restoration (Razorland, #2.5)
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
A.G. Henley is a USA Today bestselling author of contemporary and fantasy books and stories, including the Love & Pets adult romantic comedy series. The first book in her young adult Brilliant Darkness series, THE SCOURGE, was a Library Journal Self-e Selection and a Next Generation Indie Book Award finalist. She’s also a clinical psychologist in Denver, Colorado, but she promises not to analy ...more

Brilliant Darkness (3 books)
  • The Scourge (Brilliant Darkness, #1)
  • The Defiance (Brilliant Darkness, #2)
  • The Fire Sisters (Brilliant Darkness, #3)