Start by marking “Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (The Dowser, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (The Dowser, #1)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (The Dowser #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  6,520 Ratings  ·  879 Reviews
If you’d asked me a week ago, I would have told you that the best cupcakes were dark chocolate with chocolate cream cheese icing, that dancing in a crowd of magic wielders — the Adept — was better than sex, and that my life was peaceful and uneventful. Just the way I liked it.

That’s what twenty-three years in the magical backwater of Vancouver will get you — a completely s
Published June 18th 2013 by Old Man in the CrossWalk Productions

To ask other readers questions about Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic, please sign up.
Veronica Towey I've read the entire series and just love them They really should be read in order. The books take place in the "adept universe" and there are…moreI've read the entire series and just love them They really should be read in order. The books take place in the "adept universe" and there are references about characters and events between books. Take a look at Meghan Ciana Doidge's blog for the correct reading order and also - some great cupcake recipes !
(less)

Mimi
More than 2 but definitely less than 3 stars. I didn't enjoy the read, but I didn't hate it either. I'm mostly neutral toward the story as a whole. Well, I'm mostly neutral toward a lot of things these days, and this book just happened to catch me at a bad time. (Going through another reading slump and haven't been able to find anything un-put-down-able.)

If you like baking, sweets, baking sweets, Vancouver, and some romance and magic in your urban fantasy, then you might like this book. You migh
Kim
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Cute book. The surprise twist ends up being pretty darn obvious, and there is some trouble with pacing. Sometimes the story drags and other times too much seems to happen too quickly. I think it could have benefited from some stricter editing (every sentence in the prose that starts with, "yes, I..." should have been cut. They're annoying, unnecessary and happen way too often).

The narrator, Jade, is a bit too little-miss-perfect for my tastes (gorgeous, gifted, is good at everything, has a line-
So, I Read This Book Today
Meghan, Meghan, Meghan! I am expecting cupcake stocks to sail through the roof, and a run on cupcake ingredients at local markets just from reading this book. Whee!!!

OK, listen to this . . . Bliss in a Cup - peanut butter-iced fudge cake (did I say fudge cake? OMG wait a sec, I have to go get a towel . . . whew, there) Now, where was I? Oh, yes. Sex in a Cup - chocolate butter icing with a wallop of cinnamon and cocoa in the batter. Or, this particular favorite of mine, Buzz in a Cup - mocha fud
Jessi
Jan 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vaginal-fantasy
This was Vaginal Fantasy's pick for February, and although the cover told me to avoid it, I figure I'd try it out. Maybe examine why I was so reluctant to read a book with such a cutesy cover. Well, it turns out this book is kind of offensively bad. It oscillates between "inane facebook post" and "needlessly cryptic DeviantArt entry." Calling it a fluff romance would be generous--it's mostly a dizzy and not at all realized non-character of a protagonist complaining quite a bit in between eyeing ...more
Sara
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book for free on bookbub awhile back and I finally decided to read it. I thought it was a cute tale, similar to The Discovery of Witches but with a few twists! I did manage to figure out who the bad guy was early on, but i still enjoyed this one. I'll definitely be purchasing the second book!
Yodamom
Vampires, Werewolves, shifters, necromancers and witches oh my. It was a cute cozy type para-mystery read with a few grizzly bits, a good introduction into this world of baked goodies and supernaturals.
Bark
Mar 14, 2016 marked it as to-read
RL book group selection.
Gertie
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars (what can I say, I like to leave a little buffer!)

It is hard not to like a main character who speaks frequently of chocolate and cupcakes, and you wouldn't dislike her regardless - Jade is a good girl who you are happy to root for, while she tries to wade through the swamp that is her sweet, simple life turned upside down.

"Charm in a Cup" inspired lemon cupcakes with strawberry frosting.
Charm in a Cup

This book is definitely my favorite Meghan Doidge book so far - even more than After the Virus. I am
Melinda VanLone
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give very few 5 star ratings. Mostly because I figure there's always a little room for improvement but also because it's very few that knock my socks off AND knock me over. This book did that! I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this story. I love the voice...humor tossed in with the most delicious descriptions of people and food ever. I love the story...girl who makes cupcakes and trinkets for a living but who also happens to have magic. Oh how I wish I could be her! She thinks she's half-witch ...more
Karma♥Bites ^.~
Really liked this UF/mystery w/ its unique humour & storytelling mixed w/ some darker flavour. Somewhat reminiscent of MaryJanice Davidson re: quirky humour (also Eve Langlais―but alas, strictly PG-13). And IMO, use of 1POV of Jade, a half-witch, worked brilliantly in this story. But damn, mentions of such luscious cupcakes made me crave sweets while reading. Been a while since world-building & characters in UF captured my interest so quickly; can't wait for next book. (Um,there is a nex ...more
Skye
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was just a big bunch of meh for me. It came across as very amateurish. The story was told in the first person and the main character would break out of what she was telling us to say some lame wanna-be sassy thing like "I put the cupcake on a jadeite plate. Yes, my name is Jade and I collect jadeite." Ugh. Stop.

Also at one point she said her relief was "palatable." Um... pretty sure the word you're looking for is PALPABLE. But it gave her an excuse to spout out another lame baking joke.

Spea
Ariel
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic is the first in the Dowser series by Meghan Ciana Doidge. The main character, Jade, owns a bakery in a Vancouver that is essentially a magical backwater. Not a lot of huge names in magic, but lots of dabblers. And as we pass through an interesting setting, this is where the cracks start to show. That is, we spend some time getting to know Jade, our main character. I'd say she's idealistic, but thinking and skimming back through the book, she's not. I'd ...more
Ana
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-ebooks
Barbara
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With names like, Bliss in a Cup, Rapture in a Cup, and Thrill in a Cup, how could you go wrong with the book.

The author's description of events and people made you see them in your mind..."His magic coated his pale skin with an icy aura." "Magic tasted like dark-fruity chocolate (more berry than citrus)".

The main character Jade is comfortable with her life and her business. People love her cupcakes and business is good. Then two individuals come into her life and make her desire to find out her
MadameMelli
I did it! I finally finished this book! It was quite a mess. The most interesting fact: the beginning and the end were really good! But all in between? A strange mix of "I want this in my book and that and ooooooh, THAT sounds cool, too!" I knew so many things so soon and wanted to smack the main character ;)
Worst part was when my favorite character died much to soon. And returned as a... zombie? Really? I thought it was a stupid term in this constellation.
I wanted to like this book and I think
Lara
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vaginal-fantasy
Decided to read a Vaginal Fantasy pick for the first time in months and months (mainly due to being off work sick for two weeks and needing something light and fluffy to read). This reminded me why I enjoy the book club: easy to read books that are over within a day and give me something to laugh at and take the piss out of. This was not a good book, but I enjoyed myself.
Krystyna
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Looking out for number one

Terrific. She has run the bakery and used her small amount of magic to make trinkets that her feelings draw her too. All this changes when she finds a vampire outside her bakery. Someone has been corrupting her trinkets and used them for evil. That someone has led them to her. However as she is left violently ill after coming in contact with the evil, they now seek another. Werewolves, vampires and necromancer are spun into a tale of one seeking more power than they ha
Delitealex
Jade owns a cupcake shop and is a half witch. She doesn't really practice magic or deal with other Adepts (supernatural). She notices a vampire at her shops door one day and her life is turned upside down from then on.

Jade was fun and I loved learning about her. I enjoyed when she was finally understanding more about how magic worked and about the other Adepts. I hope to see more of the shape shifters and Kett in future books in the series.
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Meghan Ciana Doidge.)
23-year-old Jade is half-witch/half-human, and runs a small cupcake bakery in Vancouver. Usually she’s busy dealing with customers who can’t get enough of her cupcakes, so when a vampire turns up at her door it is certainly unusual!

The vampire has an agenda though, it seems that two supernaturals have been murdered in the area, and both were found dead with one of the small t
Jules cressall
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some reason when I received this novel and read the title, I started humming the song, “My Favorite Things” from the Sound of Music. If I could make a list of some of my favorite things, I would include: cupcakes (yummy!), trinkets (who doesn’t love shiny things) and magic (not the dark kind!). The title of this novel drew me in immediately and I loved CUPCAKES, TRINKETS, AND OTHER DEADLY MAGIC by Meghan Ciana Doidge.
This is the story of Jade, a half-witch, half-human who owns a bakery in
Casey
Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic is a rather run-of-the-mill urban fantasy book that has some mediocre writing. With that being said, it's currently free on Kindle, and if you are looking for a light read, it's not the worst thing ever.

As noted in the title, this book made me crave cupcakes like crazy.

Jade is the owner of a cupcake bakery in Vancouver. She is known as a dowser, an individual who attracts magic and magical creatures; she's also half-witch.

In addition to baking, Jade m
Anita
Really a 4.5-star. I found the book impossible to put down. Something about the interactions of the characters really hooked me. If you like contemporary-era paranormal mysteries, you may love this, especially if you like your books on the lighter side.

I got this e-book for free from Bookrooster.com with the promise to review it. Usually, I'm skeptical about free e-books. Often, they lack the much needed assistance of a good editor. This one surprised me, though. The writing was good and the st
Amanda Butler
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic” by Meghan Ciana Doidge is a cute story full of, well – cupcakes, trinkets, and deadly magic! The book follows half-witch Jade as she runs her Vancouver bakery and is swept amidst an investigation conducted by vampires and werewolves.

Jade’s special power is dowsing, or the ability to sense and attract magic. She can taste the different kinds of magic as if they were cupcakes, and crafts together magical objects she finds, making trinkets to decorate he
Elli
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Story itself was fun. It was like a crime and you really wanted to know who is the bad guy. That was not clear the whole time. There were riddles and hints, really exciting. The writing style was light and humerous. However, I did not like Jade, the female protagonist. She was so ignorant and selfish. It got better at the end, but I had a big problem with her. Then, sometimes proceedings were not so logical.
All in all I am torn. Thus, the book gets 2.5 stars.
And I do not know yet wheater I w
Katie
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, magic, kindle
Cute, light read. Builds slowly, but once it picks up speed I was hooked. Definitely want to learn more about this world. Starting second book as soon as my nap is over. Enjoyed the descriptions of people; unusual and perfect for their character. Seriously considering buying the next 5 books rather than waiting on library holds.
Jeanny
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a free ebook from bookbub & the first i've ever read from this author. I find the protagonist willfully ignorant with immense room for personal growth. I'm hoping this was done purposely by the author & not a character flaw. This was slow moving & predictable at best an average book. I always try to read book 2 in a series before i decide not to follow a series.
Jean ~ Kindle Queen
I was really disappointed by this one. I was expecting a fun, exciting read, and it definitely wasn't either of those things. The main character kept saying that she wasn't smart enough and I started to believe her. The main baddie was painfully obvious early on and yet Jade was oblivious right up until the baddie basically slapped her in the face. I don't plan on continuing with this series.
Aisling Zena
Free on Amazon.co.uk at the time of posting

Amyiw
1 1/2 A very little good part, mostly bad for me

Hmm, well, the next could be better since some of the characters started to show personality but... I'm not holding my breath, or going to the next book. My updates below give my feelings but in a nut shell. The characters had none, that is character, until the end. The evil person was obvious, (view spoiler)
Vannessa
I picked this book up years ago from Amazon as it was free but never got round to reading it, but I am so glad I did. It was really good and funny too. Jade is a witch, but not a particularly strong one and she doesn't really like using magic much either. She makes cute little trinkets out of pieces of old jewellery and other odds and ends with their residual magic and that's about it. She runs a cupcake store (I SO want to live near this store as it sounds heavenly!) and leads a fairly mundane ...more
  • How (Not) to Kiss a Toad (Cindy Eller, #1)
  • Shifty Magic (Shifty Magic, #1)
  • The Magick of Dark Root (Daughters of Dark Root, #2)
  • Alchemy (Prophecy Breakers #1)
  • Collision (Colliding Worlds Trilogy, #1)
  • Rune Gate (Rune Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1)
  • Descendants (The Descendants Saga, #1)
  • Born & Bred
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #4)
  • Senator
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • Keep Me Ghosted (Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance #1)
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Grim Tidings (Aisling Grimlock, #1)
  • Moonshifted (Edie Spence, #2)
  • Fallen
  • Blackwater (Redeemers, #1)
Meghan Ciana Doidge is an award-winning writer based out of Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada. She has a penchant for bloody love stories, superheroes, and the supernatural. She also has a thing for chocolate, potatoes, and cashmere yarn.

Novels (in order of release): After The Virus, Spirit Binder, Time Walker, Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Dowser 1), Trinkets, Treasures,
More about Meghan Ciana Doidge

The Dowser (7 books)
  • Trinkets, Treasures, and Other Bloody Magic (The Dowser #2)
  • Treasures, Demons, and Other Black Magic (The Dowser #3)
  • Shadows, Maps, and Other Ancient Magic (The Dowser #4)
  • Maps, Artifacts, and other Arcane Magic (The Dowser #5)
  • Artifacts, Dragons, and Other Lethal Magic (The Dowser #6)
  • Champagne, Misfits, and Other Shady Magic (The Dowser, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“It had been an expensive lesson. Don’t break up with people when they’re in your home and holding onto fragile, expensive stuff.” 7 likes
“Well, if that wasn’t the kettle talking smack about the pot, I don’t know what was.” 7 likes