Start by marking “If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer” as Want to Read:
If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer

If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer

In 1994, Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson were brutally murdered at her home in Brentwood, California. O.J. Simpson was tried for the crime in a case that captured the attention of the American people, but was ultimately found not guilty of criminal charges. The victims' families brought a civil case against Simpson, and he was found liable for willfully and wrongfully ...more
Published September 13th 2007 by Beaufort Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about If I Did It, please sign up.

Billie Pritchett
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I know it seems strange to give this book a 5-star review, but O.J. Simpson's book is compelling and bizarre. Simpson (with the assistance of a ghost writer) begins the book recounting how he met Nicole Brown when she was an 18-year-old waitress at a restaurant and while he was separated from his wife in his first marriage. It continues from there to the conclusion with Simpson's high-speed chase where he was arrested before he was to stand trial for the murder of his wife and Ron Goldman.

A coup
Kristina Horner
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a weird, chilling, strange book. I very much am glad I got to experience this book without any money going to OJ. I still can't wrap my head around why he agreed to do this book if not for the desire to come clean, but in some asinine "fictional" way - this doesn't read like fiction. It reads like a narcissist admitting to something he should have admitted to a long time ago, and still finding ways to blame it on others and pretend it didn't actually happen.

My heart goes out to the Goldman
Alex
Guilty pleasure, you have met your match. Make no mistake about this, "If I Did It" is OJ Simpson's signed, sealed, and delivered confession of why he murdered his ex-wife and her potential lover, Ron Goldman. As many a seasoned prosecutor will tell you, the truth is often simple and clean, and does not require endless rounds of explanation. To wit, "This is a love story, and like a lot of love stories it doesn't have a happy ending."

OJ Simpson and Nicole Brown suffered from amor fati, crazy lo
Bel Rodrigues
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5 ★
For me, this book was all about how O.J.'s mind became notoriously affected by the murder of Nicole and Ron. Despite the consecutive debate about whether he's guilty or not, this book was extremely controversial and kinda bizarre in some parts of it. When he talks about his relationship with Nicole, all I could think about was "well, it's easy to say this when the other person from the couple is dead". He repeatedly blame Nicole for being too jealous, too moody and even too whiny by the tim
Lauren
Sep 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: murder
This book was so revolting that I stopped reading it after about the first 40 pages. OJ continued to assert that he was better than Nicole, and that after they had gotten divorced, she begged to get him back even though he was dating Paula what's-her-name, and that she wouldn't stop phoning him and trying to win him back. It was disgusting.

The prologue, written by the Goldman family, was equally foul. They wrote of their desire for vengeance, and while I understand that, seeing that OJ obviousl
Nathan Rabin
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is WAY too fucking fascinating and fucked up not for me to write extensively about it in some other context.

SPOILER: He did it.
Christina
Sep 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime, own
OJ is a delusional wanker. Does he really expect people to believe he had nothing to do with the murders? The answer is yes...yes he does. Throughout the book he tries to paint a picture of himself as the perfect ex-husband, someone who loved Nicole and could never have committed these crimes. Right. I didn't buy his innocence before and I sure as hell don't buy it now.
Reneau Reneau
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
A strange concoction that tries to be a kind of "Hey, to be honest with you, I didn't do it, but supposing I did, Nicole, to tell you the truth, really drove me to it, she was such a slutty cokehead, but I loved her and could never kill her, and besides there's nothing to that domestic abuse shit, but even if there was, she was the heavy, not me, I'm all crippled with arthritis, to honest, but to sell this book here's a hypothetical scenario for your entertainment." That's what I got out of it. ...more
Allen Price
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Go right out and get this book because you will be donating to very good causes (battered women's programs) led by the Goldman family. You also won't believe what OJ's ghost writer tells him to his face. You'll get more insight into the Hollywood celebrity lifestyle than you may want, but you'll end up with a much broader perspective of "why he did it", not "if, I did it". Insightful and chilling. I'm glad the Goldmans wrestled with agony of publishing this book.
La-Lionne
I will post a full review after I recover from reading this book. For now, all I will say is that this book is the worst and the ugliest case of a character assassination I've read or heard about in my life. I would have never read this book if the proceeds of this book would've still be going to OJ Simpson. I admire Goldmans for not giving up the fight for justice.
Full review to come...
OJ Simpson
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this book is simply the best book ever written
Michelle
Only someone who brutally murdered two people and got away with it would have the arrogance to write a book detailing how he did it. The book is comprised of only eight chapters, sandwiched between a lengthy introduction by the Goldman family, followed by a preface by O.J.'s ghost writer and ending with an afterword by Dominick Dunne. The first five chapters are delusional and self-serving, with O.J. making himself out to be just this poor sap who had the misfortune of falling in love with an er ...more
Miz
First up, fascinating story. You would have to have been under a rock during the early 90s not to know this story, and the trial. Secondly, who on earth would write a book about "if I did it" when you received a not guilty criminal verdict (guilty civil though). Where were his advisers?!

But despite all this, I really wanted to read this book. Simpson is an egotist and I have to admit that I came to this book thinking that he did the crime. The book itself is very strangely written. He spends all
Jackie
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book was scrapped for publishing as the Goldman's faught for the rights to O.J.'s book. They won. There is a foreword from Mr. Goldman, Ron's dad and also from the "ghost writer". There is an afterword from Mr. Dominick Dunne who himself mourned his daughter's murder at the hand's of her boyfriend.

This book confirms that O.J. Simpson is a narcissistic sociopath. Most of the book is simply OJ explaining how he was the perfect husband and father who was married to a controlling abusive woman.
Becky
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay , I DID IT!!! And here is how...but wait, I didn't really do it. I am so glad the Goldman Family fought for the rights of this book.
Sadie
Uhm, wow, where to start, what to say? Maybe like this, with the pure technical side: the writing style is good, it's an easy read with a good flow, so, kudos to ghostwriter Pablo F. Fenjves (who also added a very intersting foreword; actually, all the extra texts surrounding O.J.'s "actual report" are interesting, since they offer a lot of what was going on behind the scenes of this book's genesis).

That being said, if you're interested in the general topic - the O.J. murder case and/or true cri
Larissa Katarina
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Just had to laugh at OJ's lies
CupcakeBlonde
Where to start with this? I had a really hard time rating this book. I didn't want to give it one star, even though it made me sick at times to read it. But it also didn't deserve 5 stars for the same reason. I can safely say I was ok with this book because of the mind boggling fact OJ Simpson gave such a detailed chilling account of his crime under the guise of what "could" have happened. I also had a difficult time with how to shelve it. I consider it non-fiction, an accurate, if bumbling and ...more
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Spoiler - He Did It.

Seriously devoured this in one sitting ... It is a completely narcissistic delusional way for "the killer" to continue to get attention. I am a True Crime fan and remember watching this unfold in the 1990's and followed the trial closely. I am a HUGE fan of Fred Goldman and the entire Goldman family. The way they fought for the memory of their son is heartbreaking and amazing.

I felt revitalized by the Foreward that spent time explaining that the story was originally pitched
Sophie L
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a pompous, arrogant prick
Hannah Spector
Apr 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
He definitely did it.
Makayla
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I Did It is, undoubtedly, a confession, despite the claims that the murder account is purely "hypothetical" and "fictional". There is no actual reason as to why Simpson would write, publish, and promote a "fictional" account of the double murders he was trialed for. But the very fact that he did, and above all, truly believed the greater mass of people would believe in his innocence after reading this book, is absolutely bizarre.

A bulk of this book is a detailed history of O.J and Nicole's r
Girly Mcfemale
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Four stars in support of the victims, not OJ.

This book was fascinating to me, as a peek inside the delusions and idiosyncrasies of a truly twisted, and homicidal, mind. I read it removed, seeing it for what it was as a semi-confession/oh-shit-maybe-I-should-have-thought-about-this-more-before-signing-on/I'm-going-to-have-the-last-word type deal. From a literary perspective, to me it is always an enjoyably jarring and a unique experience to read a book with an unreliable narrator. While reading,
Maggie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I don’t understand how anyone could read this book and come away with any doubt of the killer. OJ Simpson killed Nicole and Ron. The fact he tried to monetize on their deaths is gross. This book had me looking up Crime scene photos... so don’t do that if you’re an empath or whatever... but it’s just a good thing the book was published through the means it was, rather than what was going to happen. I wanna scream because he got away with murder.
Sandra
While I support the efforts of the Goldman and Brown families to bring this book to publication and to bring the truth to light, I don't want to read the sick words of a vicious killer.

I sleep better at night knowing that this evil man is behind bars, albeit not for the murders he committed.
Amber
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm totally in the OJ did it camp and this book lead me to looking up conspiracy theories in it's regard. On another note, I'm glad it got to be published through the means it finally did get published.
Jerometed
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
Holy shit was this a good book.
jo
Oct 12, 2013 added it
Recommends it for: otis
Recommended to jo by: the hydra
Reposted with permission from BirdBrian

if you see the hydra, repost with the hydra on top

Censorship sucks, AND it often doesn't even work

Let's get this part out of the way first: I thought the book was poorly written. I thought the grammar was at times awkward, and some of the things said were illogical. I found spelling errors on pages 4, 92, and 9024.

"If I Did It". Kinda clever what he did there, isn't it? The whole premise of the book is a hypothetical, so it isn't really an admission of wron
Joseph Copeli
Aug 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
Anne
The story behind the publication of this book is almost as interesting as the book itself. The foreword is written by the family of Ron Goldman, the man that O.J. murdered along with his ex-wife Nicole.

O.J. Simpson was going to publish this book for profit. He's couched it as a hypothetical explanation of how the murders "might" have happened, but this book is an actual confession. I believe that every word of his confession is true, apart from his insistence that it is hypothetical. Rightly eno
Around the Year i...: If I Did It: Confessions of The Killer, by O.J. Simpson 1 16 Jul 09, 2017 03:41PM
Really?? 2 29 Oct 04, 2015 09:28PM

• Silent Witness: The Untold Story of Terri Schiavo's Death
  • O.J. is Innocent and I Can Prove It
  • Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away with Murder
  • Raging Heart: The Intimate Story of the Tragic Marriage of O.J. and Nicole Brown Simpson
  • American Tragedy
  • Eleanor
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Nicole Brown Simpson: the Private Diary of a Life Interrupted
  • Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
  • Sinatra: The Life
  • Choices (The Flesh Cartel #3)
  • True Crime the Infamous Villians of Modern History and Their Hideous Crimes
  • How I Helped O.J. Get Away With Murder: The Shocking Inside Story of Violence, Loyalty, Regret, and Remorse
  • The Wrong Stuff
  • Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
  • Confessions of a Wall Street Analyst: A True Story of Inside Information and Corruption in the Stock Market
Former American football player and actor.

Mostly known from being the head suspect of a double-murder including his ex-wife.

Simpson is currently in jail for stealing sports memorabilia using a gun and told the media that he is afraid of being targeted by a white prison gang.
“You don`t get mood swings from eating cornflakes” 5 likes
“It's strange. They say people don't change, but I say they're wrong. People change, but it's usually for the worse.” 1 likes