Start by marking “Eve in Hollywood” as Want to Read:
Eve in Hollywood

Eve in Hollywood

Near the end of Amor Towles’s bestselling novel Rules of Civility, the fiercely independent Evelyn Ross boards a train from New York to Chicago to visit her parents, but never disembarks. Six months later, she appears in a photograph in a gossip magazine exiting the Tropicana Club in Los Angeles on the arm of Olivia de Havilland.

In this chain of six richly detailed and
Published June 25th 2013 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Eve in Hollywood, please sign up.
Lurdes According to the author's website:
According to the author's website:
"After Rules of Civility was published, I wrote a series of six interlinked short stories called Eve in Hollywood, which follow her to Tinseltown in 1938. These stories were available for awhile as an ebook; but in 2016, I removed them from distribution having decided to turn them into a novel."(less)
Kathleen 5/29/17
5/29/17
I was able to purchase, download, and print Eve In Hollywood from http://wordered.com for $4.99. My book club read Rules of Civility and A Gentleman In Moscow and just had to read Eve. I'll admit it took a bit of work to find it, but the site is legit. I printed it out to pass around to all our members. (less)

Start your review of Eve in Hollywood
Mellena
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For me, it isn't about what Towles writes as much as HOW he writes. Elegant, thoughtful. I fall into his stories and just go wherever they take me. This time it was to Hollywood and Los Angeles in the ‘30s, with some interesting characters and stories.

I appreciate the author's sense of restraint. There seems to be as much in what he doesn't say, as what he does. I love the way he develops his characters. He doesn't overplay them, but lets me find each character in my own way. I like how he
Diane S ☔
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Loved Rules of Civility and this novella follows Eve after she boards her train. In a series of short takes, Eve is seen influencing the lives of the people she comes in contact with. I really enjoyed the tour of Old Hollywood and its many players, old has bens, current stars, and photographers trying to grab the next big catch. The set of Gone with Wind and a brief appearance by Selznick. Towles is wonderful at setting the mood, at coming up with brilliant lines and situations. Look forward ...more
Cynthia
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Almost
Towles characters are so alive they almost lift off the pages. “Eve” picks up where “Rules” finished just as Eve is fleeing New York in 1938. She’s on her way home to Chicago but at the last minute decides to stay on the train and continue on to Hollywood and another adventure begins. She meets an aging actor at a famous hotel and this gives her the entre she needs to meet other celebrities namely Olivia DeHaviland right as Olivia is about to begin shooting “Gone with the Wind”. Eve is out
Susan
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the debut novel Rules of Civility, so I was delighted to find this book of six linked stories, which looks at what happened to character Evelyn Ross after she left New York. "Rules of Civility" was based around three friends - working girls Katey Kontent and Evelyn Ross, plus the wealthy and handsome Tinker Grey. Set in Jazz Age New York, the novel centres on Katey but, at the end of the novel, Eve leaves for home and somehow ends up in LA. These stories tell you how she made her ...more
Rachel Bayles
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
In a decade, people are going to be teaching courses centered around his work. As creative as Dinesen, but with a thoroughly American voice. Maybe the next Twain?

"On top of the stack that Miss Ross was straightening at that very moment was a motion to dismiss—which had presumably begun its journey as a tree. Solitary and majestic, that tree had provided shade to some little patch of America: in a churchyard, perhaps, or a pasture, or along a bend in the river where Whistling Billy McGuire had
Caitlin
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable, if slightly unsatisfying, follow up to Rules of Civility. The book is set up as a series of short stories about what happened to Evelyn Ross when she moved to Hollywood, each told from the perspective of a different character. It has Amor Towles' beautiful writing and rich character development, but it's brief and like I said, a tad unsatisfying. But if you loved Rules of Civility, I'd still definitely recommend it.
N D
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this novella because its story follows on from Amor Towles' first novel, Rules of Civility. I love this author's writing. It may not be grand literature, but he has a fine, easy style and he manages to combine great story-telling with exceptional and often colourful characters plus he can create a cracking metaphor. His stories are always warm and rich and this is no exception, despite its brevity.
Eve Ross washes up in Los Angeles in dying year of the 1930s bringing with her little
DebsD
3+ stars. Towles' writing is excellent, as usual, and I very much liked the creativity of telling the story in almost-unrelated chapters, each told from a different perspective.
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, 2014
This little novella picks up where Rules of Civility (a book I loved) leaves off for Evelyn Ross. What happens when she boards a train but doesn't get off in Chicago as planned? She stays on and takes Hollywood by storm. Towles has a wonderful way with setting - just as I loved Old New York in Rules, I loved Hollywood of the 1930's in this story. The format was interesting - 6 different chapters told from different perspectives. Five of them are people Eve meets on this journey and the last one ...more
Susan
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
It's quite a while since I read Rules of Civility and I would perhaps have enjoyed these stories about how Eve got on in Hollywood after she had left New York at the end of that book, if I'd read them earlier.
I liked these well written little stories, but found that they ended too abruptly, and seemed rather disjointed.....enjoyable, but just a little disappointing having enjoyed the original book so much.
Blair
A follow-up to Amor Towles' debut novel Rules of Civility, Eve in Hollywood contains six short stories focusing on the character of Eve, the secondary protagonist from the first book. Starting in the midst of Eve's journey from New York to Hollywood, it offers some explanation of where the character went and what she got up to during her absence from the 'stage' in Rules. Each story is told from the point of view of a new character who meets or in some way encounters Eve, with the final chapter ...more
Lavinia
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why is Amor Towles working in finance when he writes such beautiful prose? Sure, Eve in Hollywood is no Rules of Civility but it's a very lovely novella. I never thought guys today can write so refined. 3,5*
Jgrace
Eve in Hollywood – Amor Towles

4 stars

Rules of Civility was one of those books. I didn’t want it to end. I wanted to go back and start over as soon as it was done. Mostly, I wanted to know what happened to Eve. My curiosity was not completely satisfied with this short story collection, but it does provide six fascinating glimpses into the life of a remarkable character. The first five stories look at Eve through other eyes. The last story is specifically Eve’s.

Just as the original book made me
Jeffrey
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Following up on his impressive debut, Rules Of Civility, Amor Towles has written an excellent novella featuring one of the main characters from that novel, Evelyn Ross.

Toward the end of Rules Of Civility, Eve boards a train from New York to Chicago, but never arrives. Six months later, she is seen in a photograph in a gossip magazine leaving the Tropicana Club in Los Angeles with Olivia de Havilland.

In a series of six detailed stories, each told from a different point of view, Towles tells of
Erin
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brief yet marvelous, Eve in Hollywood is the sonnet for LA, whereas Rules of Civility was a love letter for New York. While essentially a novella, Eve in Hollywood is made up of six short stories, each from the perspective of a different character. I loved seeing Eve from the points of view of innocent bystanders (including Olivia DeHaviland!) instead of her Rules of Civility co-star, and then, finally, hearing from Eve her herself. She is a freight train.

Overall, the takeaway is, this man can
Luci
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Great writing but there isn't much meat here. The characters are kinda one dimensional and, having never liked Eve much to begin with, there is not much more here to improve on the character.
Rebecca
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Towles set the bar high with Rules of Civility and this fell short. Drastically short. I still enjoyed his prose but the plot was lacking.
Carol
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it, but it was much too short! Hopefully, Mr. Towles is working on another book featuring Eve and this crew!
Jeanette
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it

Rating = 2.5 stars

Entirely forgettable.
Cris
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
After “Rules” this novella was disappointing. More vignettes than a cohesive plot, it lacked narrative impetus. I’ve read much better classic Hollywood stories and Eve’s character is a bit too slick to be the main character. I guess that after the high of Rules there was only room to descend.
Brigita Soldo
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need Towles to write another book set in the 1930s because he is too good at this, his writing is so immersive!
Casee Marie
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In his debut novel, Rules of Civility, Amor Towles plunged his readers headlong into the dirty and decadent world of 1930s Manhattan where we met the unforgettable Katey Kontent, her fiery friend Evelyn Ross, and the charming Tinker Grey. Katey was a larger-than-life protagonist, dominating the story with the trials and triumphs of one life-changing year in the big city; but with Eve in Hollywood, Towles’s new e-novella, it’s finally Evelyn’s turn to take the spotlight. Told through six luminous ...more
Loretta
This is the sequel to Mr. Towles "Rules of Civility" focusing only on Eve as she takes out by train to go back home in Indiana. However, just as the train is due to make its stop in Chicago; which is where Eve is to get off and meet her parents; she appears to impulsively to pay the difference in fare to continue on to Los Angeles, California.

This is a very quick read-only ninety-three pages. Eve's story is told in short stories starting with her not getting off at Chicago and in each story she
Whitney (First Impressions Reviews)
I first heard about Eve in Hollywood through an ad on Goodreads. I saw the words "All About Eve" splash across the screen and immediately clicked on it as the 1950s film of the same name is my favorite movie. I was slightly disappointed until I scrolled down and saw Gone with the Wind mentioned, my second favorite movie. That was when I decided that I had to read Eve in Hollywood.

After reading Eve in Hollywood I realized that while Eve Harrington was not the star of the show, Eve Ross was very
Allison Hiltz
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, fiction
From The Book Wheel:

Oh, how I love Amor Towles. Granted, I’ve only read two things by him, but I’ve loved both of them. Last summer I raved about Rules of Civility and it made my Top 13 Books of 2013 list without a fight, so when he released this novella as a follow-up on my birthday, I was thrilled. Even though it took me a few months to get around to reading it, I devoured it in one sitting and can say that his incredible writing was not a one-time thing.

Although Eve in Hollywood picks up
Mike Mills
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I would have been fine with just leaving the character of Evelyn Ross from Amor Towles's novel "Rules of Civility" to my imagination, and let it wander and draw to my own conclusions or not, to what ever happened to her. But nonetheless, this was an interesting read in that it explores six different perspectives from six different characters that crossed paths with Eve, while she was on her way to California or when she was living in California. Just like New York City, Towles paints California, ...more
Hannah Bryan
Apr 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
No, just no. There is no realism in a girl charming every person she meets, simply because she's beautiful and opinionated. How many faces could we super impose over Eve? Her desires, strengths and weaknesses are so vague she could be anyone- so her success is left unexplained and unrealistic.
How does she have the money, and means to go for dinner with DeHavy? (It cringed me every time I ready her name). I got towards the end and thought how does this girl have money to pay for the coffee at
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Confession: This was my first eBook. I’m a traditionalist, but moreover, I’m cheap. But when I saw that Amor Towles wrote a follow-up to Rules of Civility (one of my favorite novels of the past few years), I couldn’t stop myself. This reads like an experimental piece, the literary equivalent of an etude. Six atmospheric pieces about Eve after the conclusion of the novel, mostly an examination of the male gaze. Isn’t this what eBooks should be for? Giving a platform to authors for books that ...more
Andie
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was a huge fan of Towles, Rules of Civility, so when I saw that he had extended the story to write about the character, Evelyn Ross, and her time in Hollywood,I was happy indeed.
This Kindle single consists of six interconnected short stories that chronicle Eve's life in Hollywood in 1938. As ever, she is the independent, intelligent and savvy character she was in Towles' New York story. She doesn't suffer fools, but to others who might be ignored by the general public she shows compassion,
Ava Butzu
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was so stricken upon completing Amor Towles' "Rules of Civility" that I quickly e-mailed him my compliments. He graciously promised his fans a copy of "Eve in Hollywood" on New Year's Day. When he fell short of this deadline, he sent along another creative and fun endeavor with the promise that "Eve" would be delivered upon completion. It was worth the wait.

Whew! In six short stories, Towles created characters who quickly drew me in and onto their sides, characters who were missing a piece
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Play Book Tag: Eve in Hollywood - Towles - 3 Stars 7 17 Sep 19, 2016 01:27PM

• Hell to Pay
  • Mothers' Group
  • Life Class (Life Class, #1)
  • Love is Blind
  • Paris Echo
  • Second Sight
  • The Promised Land (Brock & Kolla #13)
  • Nightingale Point
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Now We Shall Be Entirely Free
  • Assisted Living (EarthCent Universe Book 2)
  • Dead Astronauts (Borne, #2)
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • Mr Finchley Discovers His England
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • Her Kind
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
  • The Confession
Born and raised in the Boston area, Amor Towles graduated from Yale College and received an MA in English from Stanford University. Having worked as an investment professional in Manhattan for over twenty years, he now devotes himself fulltime to writing. His first novel, Rules of Civility, published in 2011, was a New York Times bestseller in both hardcover and paperback and was ranked by the ...more
“The scientists call it human nature; which is just a fancy term for the God-given flaws we have no intention of giving back.” 3 likes