Start by marking “Home of the Can Man's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Home of the Can Man's Daughter

Home of the Can Man's Daughter

Every boy sees his grandfather as something of a legend, and Richard Petty Schultz is no exception. His Poppy fought the Nazis during the War and notched seventeen confirmed kills before a sniper’s bullet left him blind in one eye. In peacetime, the man survived heartbreak, cancer, bankruptcy, and a stroke. Most importantly, Poppy Schaeffer built the Eiffel Tower, which ma ...more
Published May 21st 2013 by Battered Suitcase Press (first published May 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Home of the Can Man's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home of the Can Man's Daughter

T.J. Alexian
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
In his bio, the author of this novella calls himself "an author of mediocre fiction," but clearly, his tongue is firmly planted in his cheek. "The Home of the Can Man's Daughter" is a breezy, enjoyable read and anything but mediocre. I'm glad I spent the past few days taking in the quirky world of Christmas, Florida that he vividly brought to life.

The central character in this story is a man who cannot speak, which certainly presents challenge to any author, in terms of bringing such a character
Richard A Peters
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Maybe I'm a little biased, since I come from a similar small town in Florida. Not everyone would probably "get" the sarcasm and mockery. Still, this should be a fun read no matter where you come from. Since it's a novella, every time the story is tempted to drift off into the world of stuck up "literary fiction," the author's biting social commentary throws the story back in the sand.

I personally expected a darker ending, but I think everyone enjoys a happy ending.
Geri
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

I was surprised as to how well this book was written. It was a short read but full of family history .
J.A. Kalis
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Home of the Can Man's Daughter is a touching story told from the perspective of an eighth grade boy, Richard. The story is a tribute to his grandfather, Poppy Schaeffer who is dying of cancer. It’s clear that Poppy has a special place in the boy’s life. James Vachowski managed to weave deeper themes into the story. It’s a narrative of Poppy’s life but also of love and loss and strong family bonds.
The writing style is simple, as you would expect of an eighth-grader, easy to follow and engaging.
Danielle
Nahnita
Aug 01, 2018
Justin
Aug 06, 2018
Hi, my name is James, and for everyone out there who's been considerate enough to advise me not to quit my day job, don't worry, I haven't. I currently work as a security manager for an independent traveling circus, where I strive to ensure that your next ride on the Cyclone is in full compliance with most, if not all, applicable state safety regulations.

When I'm not living my dream of seeing the