Start by marking “Summer (The Survivors, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer (The Survivors, #1)

Summer

(The Survivors #1)

The virus came from deep in Africa.

By the time they had a name for the disease it had wiped out half the continent. Within a year, it had decimated our world. Our species is on the verge of extinction. Only a few of us have survived; those of us lucky enough to be born with a natural immunity to the plague. We scavenge amongst the ruins of our old civilizations, picking ou
Published August 1st 2013 by Amazon Digital Services (first published July 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer

D Thomas
The Survivors Book 1: Summer
The Survivors
by V.L. Dreyer

Given by author for an honest review.

Wow! This is my first Apocalyptic/Dystopian read. I have to say, I think I may be completely hooked!
This was an emotional roller-coaster. I was left basically sitting on the edge of my seat, digging my nails into the arm of my chair, to having a box of Kleenex always near. Thank you V.L. Dreyer for the heart stopping, heart pounding, tears running and feelings of hope.

Sandy McDermott has to learn to surv
Maria
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most apocalyptic type books and movies deal with the events leading up to and directly after. This book breaks the mold going 10 years into the future following Sandy, a survivor of the plague, trying to etch out a life among the small Towns by herself. Relying on her knowledge and survival skills she comes to a new town after the last one she was in ran dry of supplies. Trying to clear the place out and scrounging for food and other useful tools when an accident forces her to leave the relative ...more
Shana Festa
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Sandy rocks. Let’s establish that. A young woman who spent her transition years of teenager to adulthood in the midst of a undead apocalypse. It’s a touch of I am Legend meets Castaway. Yes, I said Castaway, because Sandy is resourceful. She doesn’t rely on schooling or brains, she relies on instinct and that is what got her to survive for ten years.

She is a loner and we know through her attitude and narrative that she has learned the hard way not to trust. She’s been used and abused and pretty
Lauren
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEAUTIFUL seems like an odd word to describe a zombie apocalypse book but that the word that best describes it for me.
The premise is similar to your usual book from this genre. Virus wipes out most of the globes population, a small few are immune and must survive this post apocalypic world and of course where would we be without the zombies. We've heard it all before. So what makes this one any different?
This is set ten years after the outbreak in New Zealand. The country has sustained much bett
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

I received this eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

4 Solid stars!
A Layered, Touching, Powerful Story of Humanity and Survival!

The Rundown:
In 2013, Ebola-X decimated the human population, presumably worldwide.

After losing her father and sister, her mother and grandmother, Sandy’s left to live on her own at the young age of eighteen. After weeks of solitude, she ventures out of the secluded beach house where she buried her fami
Coco.V
Jan 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/3/2018)! 💝
Rebecca Rakes
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.
The Survivors Book 1: Summer, was an amazing book. It follows Sandy, a woman immune to the outbreak, as she struggle to survive in the world after infection.
The beginning of the story lets us get familiar with Sandy and the way the world has changed. We join her as she comes upon a new town in search of supplies and understand her fear of other humans as we get glimpses of her past thru flashbacks. We get to know a
Courtney
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book in exchange for review*

I loved this story. I have not delved into this genre before, but I loved this book and I honestly can't wait for the sequel. As soon as I finished it I headed over to the authors facebook page saw that she had posted a link to the first couple of chapters for the 2nd book, I couldn't resist and had to start reading, the first one was that great!

I will try to keep this review simple and with no spoilers.

The book starts out introducing the reader to Sa
Michelle Hofacker
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all readers
Recommended to Michelle by: V.L. Dreyer
Finally, the Zombie Apocalypse story I've been waiting to read!! This is an incredibly well written story that is not all about slashing zombies to live. There are zombies, and zombies as you have never seen before, very awesome, creepy and scary. But they do not take center stage and overpower the story for once. This amazing book follows the emotional journey of a young teen into her adulthood showing HOW she survives. What she endures, encounters, the real nitty gritty of what would happen n ...more
Sara Hemenway
Actual score: 4.5 stars

I was given a copy of this ebook by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I just finished the book and I'm feeling a little raw. One thing that Ms. Dreyer does well is convey the emotion of her characters while grabbing the reader's own in a tight grip that doesn't let go, even when you are done reading.

I won't rehash the blurb, and although this book may have been a little different than what I normally read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sandy's quirky humor made me smi
Carly
I would like to thank V.L Dreyer for providing a free copy in exchange for a review.

I loved this book about survivors in New Zealand ten years after a deadly virus kills most of the population. I cried when it was explained how Sandy lost her family. I have not read many post apocalyptic dystopian novels, but The Survivors Book 1 has made me want to read more. This is the first in a series and it ends in a pretty good cliff hanger. I cannot wait to read the next book.
Caryn Watson Watz Books and Teasers
Omg I'm in tears and need the next book this is so heart wrenching and draws you in there is no escaping once you start this book be prepared to not be able to put it down till you finish it. I love that it's totally different to the other zombie books and that's it's not a love story as much as a survivors story n struggles. Read it today it's one book you don't want to miss out on
Nicole Ronzheimer
SO EXCITED TO READ THIS BOOK!
Debbie
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it. Can't wait to read book 2
Kirsten McKenzie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiwi-authors
If you want Zombies, this isn't the book for you. Oh they exist in these pages, but not in a 'Walking Dead' type way. This book is more about what happens later, years later, after the riots, after the rampant infection, after the complete shutdown of everything we know and love, like hot showers. How would you survive?
This is a book about survival, and it's not always pretty.
Dreyer has done a marvellous job of painting a world several years into the future, where life isn't the same, and that's
Kristi Cramer
The Survivors - Summer is a post-apocalyptic, dystopian story set after the world has been ravaged by a plague that has wiped out civilization as we know it. (Is that really a bad thing? The way things are now, I was reading this and thinking it sounded a little like paradise to me!)

I give this book a hearty 4 1/2 stars.

Sandy is one tough survivor, having made her own way in this decimated world for 10 years. Bad things have happened. I won't detail them here - that is what the book is for.

I wil
Abbie
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable read.
Sarah Hayward
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved it. It was gripping, disgusting, lovely, heart-wrenching and totally realistic. Bring on the next one!
Mỹ Khương
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG this book looks awesome!!!! I really wanna win it!!
G.L. Cromarty
It was an easy enough ramble through a post apocalyptic world. Rating 3.5 stars
What I liked. It had jumped ten years post event to provided a realistic glimpse into 'after'. The MC is likeable and her plight and struggles very realistically portrayed. Zombies were initially viewed as non-threatening and the book uses a mutation changing the zombie behaviour as new threat…so a bit of a different take.
What I didn't like. I struggled with the pace in places, and found myself skipping forward since
T. Jackson
Really great story. Loved the characters.
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't think this was that great at all. The characters just never came to life for me. They were all flat and dull and nothing that anyone did ever seemed very logical or believable. For example, Sandy and her little sister are permanently separated for a reason so stupid and implausible. A flat tire, on the road during the family's flee from the city while one car was following the other. The lead driver lost sight of the car that was following and didn't immediately turn back to see what wa ...more
Netanella
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I found a zombie baby, I was going to turn myself right back around and go die of tetanus in my truck. On the scale of horrification, zombie baby beats death by tetanus any day.

Sandy McDermott is a survivor of a nasty, virulent infection that wipes out civilization in New Zealand, and possibly the rest of the world. Of course, by the time everything is said and done, no one really knows if there's anything left in the rest of the world. All Sandy knows is that her dad and little sister are go
Jackie
This is the first true post apocalyptic/dystopian romance that I have read which took more time developing the two main characters relationship than finding and fighting off zombies. I liked the lack of gore, gratuitous violence and other trademarks most used in these types of reads. It was a nice change of pace.
Seregon
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not your typical dystopian/apocalypse story. Set 10 years after a virus killed most of humanity, only those immune survive. It's also not flesh eating zombies that wander around aimlessly; they're just "brain dead" people that can't operate normally anymore. It's more the living you need to worry about. At least it starts that way.

All Sandy wants to do is find her family again (and a little kitten that befriends her in the beginning). Scavenging and trying to rebuild civilization is eas
Stefani Sanchez
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not my normal genre of books, but I liked it very much. It is a post apocalyptic zombie story. It was a sound story line that was not like other zombie stories I have heard of. The characters were well written and the relationships between them flowed. You get to know them very well.

The only warning I will give is that it's a series and this book will not stand alone. There is a cliff hanger and you will want to get to the next book quickly (that really isn’t a bad thing right)?

I p
Michelle A. Berney
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Timely (Ebola X) destroys our world. . .

End of time story told from a young woman's point of view. Danger, love, suspense and zombies. . .what could be better? Set in New Zealand 10 years after the Ebola X virus destroys the world. Good read.
Kimchi
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book yesterday. It was good but I had trouble with the inner monologue. It was long and I got really tired. The first half of the book goes on and on. If you like I am legend then you will like this book.
Lo
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 and 1/2 stars.
*Suzy (ereaderuser)*
There wasn't anything really wrong with this one. It was just dull in my opinion.
Some Like It Hot!: Reviewers Wanted - Take Your Pick! 7 57 Jan 02, 2014 10:40PM
Independent Autho...: Best Places To Advertise A Novel Kickstarter 3 63 Jun 16, 2013 05:35AM
Goodreads Librari...: Help! I broke my listing! 2 47 May 30, 2013 11:39PM
  • Hold Me (Life After the Outbreak #3)
  • Flotilla of the Dead  (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #2)
  • Alpha's Truth (Fallen Alpha, #2)
  • The Wild Country (Living with the Dead #4)
  • Road Kill (Zombie Games, #4)
  • Finding Our Way
  • The Truth is Contagious (The Contagium, #4)
  • Dark Days: The Long Road Home
  • Dark Grace (Grace, #3)
  • Backs Against the Wall (Survival, #2)
  • Cravings (Alpha City, #2)
  • Zomblog II (Zomblog, #2)
  • Jordan's Misunderstanding (Denver Pack, #8)
  • Uncaged
  • Warrior (Wolves of Angels Rest, #4)
  • #zombie (Zombie Botnet #1)
  • Aftermath (Deadlocked, #5)
Victoria L. Dreyer is an international best-selling author based out of Auckland, New Zealand. She is best known for her post-apocalyptic series, The Survivors, as well as the Immortelle series under her pen name, Abigail Hawk. Her earlier works cover numerous graphic novels, including Tour Girls In The 23rd Century and The Gyrath's Gate Chronicles and an assortment of essays and short stories.

Ms

The Survivors (4 books)
  • Autumn (The Survivors, #2)
  • Winter (The Survivors #3)
  • Spring (Survivors #4)