Start by marking “Chameleon: The Awakening (Book 1 of The Forest People)” as Want to Read:
Chameleon: The Awakening (Book 1 of The Forest People)

Chameleon: The Awakening

(The Forest People #1)

No identity. That’s what it’s like to be a human chameleon, and sixteen-year-old Camryn Painter wonders if she'll ever figure out who the real Camryn is—or should be. Just looking at someone else will cause her body to change into that person. Her parents called it her gift. She calls it her curse.

Then Ohar, a man with impossibly good looks and an ethereal manner offers he
Published May 22nd 2013 by Windtree Press

To ask other readers questions about Chameleon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chameleon

Jayana
****3.7 stars****

I have finally completed this book! After reading 70%, it was circulated among 4 friends and now has finally arrived for the left 30%. Then I couldn't recall till where I've read and re-read it.

Anyway, I got this book as a Giveaway from GoodReads: First Reads and was asked for an honest review:

The first chapter just hooked me in!
About the first chapter, the setting was so vivid and clear cut that I was imagining the scenes from Avatar, the award-winning movie. I was imagining
Nicole Hewitt
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 Stars

This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I thought that Chameleon: The Awakening was a unique and interesting fantasy. The story follows Camryn, who has lived with her adoptive parents in a remote setting in order to hide the fact that she has an ability she can’t control – Camryn physically changes to look like anyone she’s near. But Camryn eventually finds out that she is supposed to be the key to the forest people’s survival – and there are many
Stephanie
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned, 2013
Before I start, please keep in mind that I DNF'd this book.

I'll just get right to it. I read most of Chameleon: The Awakening and it could have been much more than it was. This book just had a lack of substance to it. Instead of it being about her actually doing something important, the focus of the story turned to her hormones....

Yeah, no. A hundred pages later, and the story still hadn't really gone anywhere.

I think I was supposed to like Ohar, and I think he's the guy I was supposed to vot
Monica
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
I received this book from Net Galley and the publisher for review.
The start of this book had me immediately interested, and I was thinking, now here's a fantasy book I can get into! The magic and concept were good ideas, and Camryn's chameleon abilities were cool, too. The disappointing thing is, the story just wasn't executed very well. I wish I could have pressed a slow-motion button. The whole book was like it was on fast-forward mode. It was way too rushed. When you're reading a fantasy nov
Renee
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chameleon: The Awakening was my first foray into young adult fiction. I’ve always shied away from the genre for all sorts of reasons, but the cover of this book drew me in despite my reservations. Am I ever glad it did!

Ms. Faire has created a world unlike any other I have read, carefully blending the nuances of our real world (called the Agnoses) with a world living just the other side of the Forest, in the lichen and trees, water and air.

Camryn, the Chameleon or Wynbune, is caught between the
Melissa Yuan-Innes
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really cared about the characters. The world was so beautifully drawn and rich with sensory detail that, as a writer, I felt kind of jealous. One of my pet peeves of high fantasy is that oracle talk can sound made up, but this one was wise. Lovely.
Susan
There were some great visuals in this story. I especially loved the scenes on and under the glaciers, as well as the dragons. Many individual scenes were vibrant and interesting. However, there were other things that didn’t work for me.

I often felt that this story was several individual scenes that were cobbled together. The story didn’t have fluid continuity and because of that I felt it needed a bit more polishing. An example is Sela with her dragon. In one scene, she introduces her dragon and
Kristine Hall
AUDIO BOOK REVIEW. 3.5-4 STARS. To begin, my apologies for likely butchering the spelling of every proper noun in this book. They are as creative as the story itself and add to the mystical feeling of the parallel world of the Forest People.

For much of CHAMELEON: THE AWAKENING, chapters alternate between the Forest worlds and the modern world. In the former, the world is fantastical with magical settings and creatures, mysterious powers and forces, and layers of dimensions within which inhabitan
Kai
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Chameleon is about Camryn Painter. She was born in the world of the Forest People and magical creatures but raise in the world of humans. Camryn is a Chameleon and has a destiny of saving the magical world of the Forest People. Since her adopted parents died, Camryn has a problem with trusting people. Each tribe of Forest People wishes to control her.

Camryn is a typical teenager who is rebellious. The worst is that she has an ability of shifting from one person to another person without control.
Mv
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Camryn is not your typical teenager since she turns into anyone she looks at. Her adoptive parents try to support her but are killed before Camryn understands what she is. Having nowhere to go, she ends up in a medical research facility where the doctors don’t seem to be intend on helping her. She escapes and makes her way to the forest where she meets several of the forest people and they all know who she is. Each have their opinions about and agenda for the fate of the forest people. Who is sh ...more
Kim
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Camryn Painter is different, she can change her looks just by looking at another person. At 16 she finds herself an orphan, having recently lost her adoptive family and in an institution. She finally gets the courage to run away from the institute and finds that she isn’t actually alone. There are others that have been looking for her and expecting her to return to her place as one of the Forest People. Her return was prophesied, but will she choose to accept her place among these strangers as t ...more
The Mysterious Reader
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shhh... I have a secret: Maggie Faire is a pen name of Maggie Jaimeson, who writes superb non-fantasy novels. (Let's keep that just between us.) I know this writer from her other non-fantasy novels and have loved those books. I am also a lifelong fantasy and sci fi reader, so I just knew that a fantasy from “Maggie Faire”; was bound to be good. I was wrong. It's not good - it's fabulous. This author is top notch at developing characters for readers to get invested in and she's done that again he ...more
Kitty_ranma
Audio version.
A great beginning for a series.
I can't wait for more of this, I want to say more about this story but I absolutely hate spoilers, so I won't go into details.
The narrator brings the story to life.
Reasons I enjoyed this audio book:
Tear-jerker, Happily Ever After, Witty, Romantic, Wonderful characters, Page-turner, Great world building, Unpredictable, Original, Realistic, Easy-to-read, Entertaining, Action-packed, Twisted, Steamy, Funny, Haunting, Scary, Informative, Whimsical.
Books
Bikram
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobookboom
I received audiobook version of this book for free from the author / narrator / publisher in exchange for an unbiased review.

More like 3.5 stars.

The book has its entertainment value. It kept me somewhat interested in the going-ons throughout the book and I did want to see how it finishes. So, that's something this book has going for it. This is mostly a "coming of age" story, based in a YA fantasy world. Few of the concepts (Forest people and forest magic) used in the book are really interesting
Michelle VanDaley
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My review is based on the Audiobook. I thought this was a great first in series, it laid the groundwork, gave background and introduced the characters in a decent paced captivating manner. I love the different species in this story and learning about their cultures. The lichen and all of the dimensions is a fresh and new idea that i really enjoyed. The narrator did a wonderful job bringing the characters and story to life. I am looking forward to book 2
Iso Rivers
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unique, engaging story. Very enjoyable read. It explored physical relationships VERY tastefully. It was beautifully intigrated into the story and expertly explored teenage hormones without going overboard (I'm VERY conservative). It also had a fantastic, depth exploration of a magical world intigrated into our own. Great read.
Roger
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first read from author Maggie Faire was wonderfully written with a somewhat unique main character & storyline. Since I read/listened to the audiobook I have to give kudos to the narrator who did a fine job & added to the enjoyment of the book.
Kathy Gray
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this fantasy story. I couldn't stop reading right through to the end. And now I need to get the next book to find out the rest of the story.
Katie
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
see this and more at http://crasayabout.blogspot.com

When I read the summary of the book, I was super intrigued. Chameleon? That was new, well, if you are a Shadow Falls fan by C.C. Hunter then you know that Kylie is a chameleon but she changes her brain pattern/supernatural being and not appearance. So this is rather unique ground for me.

The book is definitely good to read and when finished the first book, you would want to read the second one. But unfortunately sometimes it is too jumbled. Lik
Charlotte
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
The general idea is that there is a complete other world basically coexisting with our modern one that we know nothing about. There are clans that are human like - but not exactly human - that inhabit the forest. And there is a young teen girl who is responsible for saving it all, but of course she doesn't know that.

Maggie Faire seems to draw on variety sources for the frame work of this world. Native American and Aboriginal myth seem to have been a large inspiration. I would also guess that the
Emma
Mar 05, 2014 added it
Shelves: dnf, r4r-and-arc
I received a free copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This look really good and inviting, different from anything else I had read, I saw some bad reviews but there was some great ones too.

I did not finish this book. The main problem I had with it was that there were terms that were not explained and they kept cropping up, they were integral to the story. I found myself getting confused a lot. I got a 5th into the book until I realised that the Agnoses where us. There
Diane Lynch
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Sixteen-year-old, Camryn Painter was born a chameleon, able to identically shift into whomever she views. Camryn’s mother died after giving birth to her. She was put in the care of two humans to raise her, not knowing anything about her origins.

It was prophesied that a chameleon would be the chosen of the Forest People, having powers above all others to save their world. The different races of the Forest People are seeking her out. Ohar, of the Mazikeen and Dagger, of the Boha, both try to gain
The Book Breeze
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
For fifteen years Camryn's world was unlike anyone else's and then, on her sixteenth birthday, it got really strange. A visitor arrives and tells her she is Wynbune, the chameleon, the long awaited answer to the troubled world of the forest people.

That was not what she wanted for her birthday.

Camryn’s journey was a realistic one as she moved from confused and troubled into the beginning of an understanding of who she really is. I liked how the supporting characters are portrayed with plenty of
Douglas Warren Cooper
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable first book of a series. The protagonist is beset by problems caused by her identity. In fact, her life is in danger because of it. It's cool the trials she goes through and how she learns to use powers she never dreamed of. Fairly quick read on a Kindle, and I enjoyed it while on a jet.
Bonnie Dale Keck
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
Didn't see for KU, think got this as review copy we hope you review it type book. Bit different than used to, which is good thing since read so much very rarely could put 'full of surprises'. Chameleon: The Choosing (Book 2 of The Forest People)
Jenn
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting concept, but the execution was a little rushed. I believe the author developed the world in her mind, but it wasn't presented well. There was a bit to much telling, and not enough showing. However, I would read more to see where the story goes.
Pat Raab
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fantastical. I loved going with Camryn on her journey to unravel her past, accept her fate, and find her father. And herself.
Pam
Dec 11, 2016
Jocelyn R McClellan
Nov 17, 2016
P.A. Wikoff
Jul 23, 2018
  • Light and Shadow (Hayle Coven #11)
  • The Song and the Sorceress
  • The Goddess's Choice (Kronicles of Korthlundia, #1)
  • Magic Unbound (Fae Unbound #1)
  • No Man Can Tame (The Dark-Elves of Nightbloom, #1)
  • Fire & Shadow (Hand of Kali, #1)
  • First Bite (Darkwood Manor, #1)
  • Paranormal Days Gone Awry
  • Silevethiel (The Vaelinel Trilogy, #1)
  • A Story of River
  • Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)
  • Downpour (Ember, #2)
  • Mrs. Beast
  • 2:20 (Timeless Trilogy, #1)
  • A Beauty So Beastly (Beastly #1)
Also known as Maggie Lynch and Maggie Jaimeson.

I am the oldest of nine children. This means I can always raise an army to fight off evil doers whenever they appear. It also means I'm a control freak and like to be the boss.

My childhood was spent writing stories, making up plays and musicals, and hamming it up whenever anyone would pay attention. From about the age of 9 or 10, I would gather the en

The Forest People (3 books)
  • Chameleon: The Summoning (The Forest People Book 3)
  • Chameleon: The Choosing (Book 2 of The Forest People)