Start by marking “Ruby's Fire (Fireseed #2)” as Want to Read:
Ruby's Fire (Fireseed #2)

Ruby's Fire

(Fireseed #2)

If everything about you changes, what remains?

Published June 9th 2013 by Konjur Road Press (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby's Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby's Fire

Start your review of Ruby's Fire (Fireseed #2)
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
4 Red Stars

You can definitely read this book as a standalone without having to read the first one ahead of time.

A fun story that isn't deep which you can get through in a sitting. The characters sometimes will have you shaking your head, especially Ruby with her constant "oh, I wish I wasn't so beautiful"

I ended up enjoying the book and may even end up purchasing the next one in the series!
Heather
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(This review will be available on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl in August).

You know when you get a book, and it's much better than you thought it was going to be? Well, Ruby's Fire by Catherine Stine was definitely one of those books! I absolutely loved it, and it's definitely one of my favorite books that I've read in 2013!

Ruby is a 17 year old girl who, with her 8 year old brother Thorn, escapes from a cult which pairs young girls with much older men. Ruby and
Lee (Rally the Readers)
Also posted on Rally the Readers.

* A copy was provided for review for a blog tour.

Having been quite impressed with the futuristic world Catherine Stine created in Fireseed One , I was eager to revisit it in Ruby’s Fire. Picking up ten years after the events in Fireseed One, Ruby’s Fire features new characters and a stand-alone plot, so you’re fine reading this if you haven’t read Fireseed One. Stine does an excellent job of filling newcomers to the series in on the details of the world withou
Linsy
This book was nothing like what I was expecting. It was a really interesting and entertaining combination of dystopian with science fiction/supernatural.

Young Ruby Fireseed grows up in the blazing hot desert in the natural-disaster-ravished future where going outside without full body protection can be fatal. She is desperate to escape the cult-like society in which she lives, so she works out a plan to do just that, bringing her young, mute brother with her.

After her escape, Ruby comes across
SARIT
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Futuristic world where the temperature gets close to 200 degrees and people have to wear protective clothing- The Hotzone (once known as the United States). If you live in the Hotzone, it's a tough life. Daytime temperatures can kill you and also sand storm and radiation. The Hotzone residents must ware a special suits (burn suits) and masks or stay indoors and come out at night. when the children forage for beetles with long sticks, and insect meat loaf is the result. It's alleged to be delicio ...more
Clare dooley
If everything about you changes, what remains?

Seventeen year-old Ruby, long-pledged to the much older Stiles from the Fireseed desert cult, escapes with only a change of clothes, a pouch of Oblivion Powder and her mute little brother, Thorn. Arriving at The Greening, a boarding school for orphaned teens, she can finally stop running. Or can she? The Greening is not what it seems. Students are rampaging out of control and as she cares for the secret Fireseed crop, she experiences frightening phys
Kristen
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
GENRE: Young Adult Science Fiction
THEME: Romance, Adventure
RECEIVED: Tour
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
This being the second book in the series I wasn’t sure if I’d be lost, which happily I wasn’t. I was able to dive into this unique world and memorable characters easily without feeling lost. But after finishing and enjoying this story I really want to read the first book called Fireseed One to see how it all began.

Ruby’s Fire follows Ruby a young girl who has grown up knowing h
Fly To The Sky
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review first appeared on my blog, Read Books and Live Green

So what first caught my eye about the book, the cover! It looks so cool! But there was so much more to the book than the awesome cover!! (Obviously!)

To get this out of the way: I read this book as a stand alone. (Because let's face it this book sounds really good...) BUT in retrospect I think that I should have read the first book before I read this one. Simply because there was so much information and the book referred to the main
Sharon Tyler
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ruby's Fire by Catherine Stine is a young adult novel. This science fiction story is a companion story to Fireseed, which was published in 2010. I did not read the companion book and felt that Ruby's Fire works just fine as a stand alone novel. Ruby is a resident of the Fireseed desert cult. To escape a ceremonially 'pledging' to a much older man named Stiles, whom Ruby uses her herbal knowledge to drug and flee. All she can carry with her is a change of clothes, a pouch of Oblivion Powder and h ...more
Paige Bradish
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviwed
I received Ruby’s Fire by Catherine Stine from the author, and this is my honest review.

Ruby’s Fire is the highly anticipated (for me anyways) sequel to Fireseed One, In book two we meet the main character Ruby, it takes place many years after book one and Ruby is determined to escape from her homeland with her little brother Thorn. Together they come across a school that they didn’t know existed and the owner Nevada decides to take the siblings in. From there things get crazy.

I wasn’t sure how
L
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
An outstanding futuristic adventure filled with inspired ideas and remarkable creative vision.

“Ruby’s Fire” (the second Fireseed novel) greatly impressed me with its distinct originality, like nothing I have ever encountered before. Standing-out within a highly competitive, popular genre this is a noteworthy sequel set within an extraordinary world. Catherine Stine’s world-building was a little confusing at first, no doubt because I haven’t read book 1, however after several chapters I found my
Nicole M. Hewitt
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

NOTE: Ruby's Fire is a standalone sequel to Stine's Fireseed One, which was published in 2011. While the book could certainly be read on its own, I thought that reading Fireseed One first really enhanced my reading of Ruby's Fire, so you might want to check it out!

This book centers around a girl named Ruby who escapes the cult she has been raised in only to find herself faced with new dangers outside in the hostile
Erleen Alvarez
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"With an astounding creativity and unique world-building, Catherine Stine created a futuristic adventure that will surely keep you turning the pages until you beg for more."

Ruby’s Fire was set ten years after what happened in Fireseed One and in this story we will meet again a few familiar faces, a new cast of characters and introduce us to an awesome new heroine. After escaping from one of the Founders of the Fireseed Cult, Ruby along with her brother, Thorn, left the Fireseed Cult with only a
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
I have really had my eyes opened recently with the YA science fiction genre. I honestly didn’t think I would like the genre as much as I do! Ruby’s Fire, though the second in a series, can be read alone. I didn’t even realize it was the second in the series until after I’d already started reading it.

I don’t want to give too much away with my review…Ruby Fireseed and her brother, Thorn Fireseed, are desparate to escape the group of people they live with. When they finally make their daring escape
CeCe
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
: 3.5 out of 5 Stars: The reader immediately learns the situation that Ruby is in. The story starts from page one.
Ruby is part of a “mating” ceremony with a man who is 14 years older than her, Stiles. She successfully “drugs” him and is able to run away with her brother from the “cult.” She finds herself able to escape to The Greening, an orphaned school for teens. From there the story begins.
Did I feel connected to the characters? Ruby is so smart and strong. She is only 17 years old and yet h
Kd
Jul 09, 2013 added it
Enjoyable story with enough surprises to keep me interested. I knew I was caught by the story when I kept wanting more - more about her life with the cult, more about the escape, more about her transformation. The one drawback is that it seems heavy handed at times. The author doesn't trust the reader enough to just infer some details instead of just baldly stating them (a hard balance to achieve in YA books anyway). I will look at her future works.
Rachel Marie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not really much of a futuristic thriller reader. I mean, I like dystopia novels and stuff, but Science Fiction is not really my thing. However, I did enjoy this book a lot. It was captivating from the beginning, holding my attention throughout and making me want to know what would happen next.

Ruby lives in a cult with her brother and her mother. She has been pledged to a creepy old dude, and on the night of her..."pledging" decides to run away with her brother, Thorn. They stumble upon a sch
Lee
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free via First Reads.

While Ruby's Fire is the second book in the FireSeed series, I decided to read it without having read the first book, as other reviewers said that it could stand on its own. They were right, although, in hindsight, I would have preferred to read the first one, just to get a better feel for the world of the story.

First, I'll address the technical aspects. There were a few typos (i.e. "forth," instead of "fourth"), and one instance of the narrator ref
Deneale Williams
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Written by Guest Blogger: Drema June Williams

My mother, Deneale won this book “Ruby’s Fire” from Ms. Stine in a facebook party for me. I am lucky enough to have received a signed copy of this and another book as well, and they are my very first autographed books that I own! And to that, I owe a big thank you to Ms. Stine and my mom.

So here is my first review, I just hope that I don’t let anyone down:

This book, “Ruby’s Fire” is set in the year 2099. Ruby is dependent on Oblivian Powder, (which i
Kanta Bosniak
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Catherine Stine's new book, "Ruby's Fire" just wowed me! A master or world-building and suspenseful story-telling, she also has created fully realized and compelling characters, satisfying character growth, and an enjoyable love story. It was good to see Ruby mature and come into her own as a resourceful young woman.

What I like most of all about this book is that that it did the things my favorite books and films do, and in such a sophisticated and intelligent way. It offers interesting ideas, a
C. McKenzie
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ruby and her younger, mute brother, Thorn, are children of the post apocalyptic future—long after quakes have shifted earth’s geography and separated people into isolated regions. Each living group has its issues and beliefs, but one thing they share is an abundance of heat, so much that they can only venture outside with special heat protective gear. There’s little animal life and the only plant is the sacred Fireseed that thrives in the desert the world has become.

When Ruby’s driven to flee fr
Beverly McClure
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What if plants were more than just plants? What if they did more than provide you with food? What if they could talk to you and you to them? Imagine the excitement such a plant would create in our world.

Author Catherine Stine’s latest science fiction novel, RUBY’S FIRE, takes the reader to a futuristic world where seventeen-year-old Ruby and her younger brother, Thorne, have fled from their home to escape Stiles, the man that claimed Ruby when she was a child and who she fears will kill her. As
Maureen Roble
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Did I enjoy this book: Yes.

There were several grammatical issues, and though I’m fairly certain most of them were style choices, they still gave me a slight case of the hiccups. Overall I enjoyed Ruby’s story, appreciated her nuances, and was excited to keep reading. Unfortunately, the language choices were just obvious enough to distract from the story; I’d recommend another round of editing. I’d also recommend that the author remove the illustrations… they just weren’t good, and they detracted
Jessica Mitchell
Ruby's Fire

Ruby and her brother Thorn escape from the clutches of their clan. Or cult as others call them. Now at a school ran by Nevadea they can get a real education and life skills. But will the other kids let them? Or will they be driven out? Will the contest be their salvation or will it be their down fall?
Megan Green politte
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book VERY much!! At first I found it slightly odd since I'm more of a paranormal lover and not futuristic. However, I was quickly roped into this one! The story with Ruby and her little brother was so good you couldn't help but love it! I really hope Ms. Stine writes another book in this series!
Ian Terry
Aug 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: needs-work
I received Ruby's Fire from Goodreads' Firstreads giveaway. I got 35 pages in and gave up. Between the horribly difficult to read present tense, many typos, and unsympathic character, this was a mind numbingly boring read.
Jenna
Mar 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF at 30%. I wanted to like this book but I couldn't connect with the characters or story itself
Malynda
Jul 26, 2015
Jay Montgomery
May 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dying for a Living (Dying for a Living, #1)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Sketches (Colony Six, #1)
Catherine Stine is a USA Today bestselling author of historical fantasy, sci-fi thrillers, paranormal romance and YA fiction. Her novels have earned Indie Notable awards and New York Public Library Best Books for Teens. Catherine's newest historical fantasy, Witch of the Wild Beasts, was a second prize winner in Valley Forge's 2019 RWA Sheila Contest.

She loves spending time with her beagle, writi

Fireseed (2 books)
  • Fireseed One (Fireseed #1)