Start by marking “Complicit” as Want to Read:
Complicit

Complicit

‘On the beach stood the adverse array (of Britons), a serried mass of arms and men, with women flitting between the ranks. In the style of Furies, in robes of deathly black and with dishevelled hair, they brandished their torches; while a circle of Druids, lifting their hands to heaven and showering imprecations …’

When Roman historian, Cornelius Tacitus, recorded the invas
Kindle Edition
Published June 1st 2013 by G E Hamer

To ask other readers questions about Complicit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complicit

Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a ride! This book is the author's best one yet! First, I love the setting of Ms. Hamer's books. I can see them in my mind's eye from her descriptions. I love the way she blends two stories into one. My personal opinion is that it take a great author to do something like that. Her characters are amazingly well rounded. I felt connected to them. A great book. Highly recommended.
Anne
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I’ve written before about this wonderful series by Gillian Hamer. I was hooked by the first in the series, The Charter - well-drawn characters, a strong sense of place, good dialogue, a rattling good story, a murder mystery, a touch of the supernatural, a treasure hunt, a thriller and adventure story, and well researched history backing it all up. The second, Closure, was even better. Two separate story threads to begin with – a serial killer targeting students at Bangor University, and the work ...more
Caren ~ the misfit geek
This is another nail-biting thriller that grabs you and doesn’t let you go. They just keep getting better and better. I continue to be most impressed with Hamer’s ability to weave historical facts into a modern crime story. The historical element was a Roman invasion of the island Mona Insulis, an attempt to destroy the Druids. The parallel stories are expertly interwoven and independently compelling.

This is the third book that features the team of detectives in North Wales. They are a wonderful
Chris Curran
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This is the third of Gillian E Hamer’s books I’ve read and I think it’s the best so far. It’s fitting that a treasure-trove features so prominently in the plot because Complicit is stuffed full of wonderful things. As the beautiful cover suggests the Anglesey landscape plays a central role in a novel where historical events, a contemporary police investigation and hints of the paranormal are threaded together with enormous skill.

The police procedural elements of the book feel totally authentic:
Sylvia Hunter
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again Gillian Hamer successfully combines a modern day detective story with the paranormal to create a novel full of nail biting suspense.
This time the paranormal element has its origins in a real historical event, the invasion of the Anglesey Druids by the Romans in AD60.
The narrative alternates between the Druid/Roman activity and present day events, the connection becoming apparent as the action unfolds.
Descendants of the Druids still live on the island and some of their number are being
Barbara Scott-Emmett
Gillian Hamer writes like a cross between Stuart Pawson and Barbara Erskine. Her real world police team are human, flawed, and so well-fleshed out the reader is genuinely concerned when they get into trouble. Her otherworld characters are steeped in the mysterious past, often being ghosts or reincarnations and, in this novel, descendants of Druid seers.

In Complicit we get two story strands - one is the present day search for a killer, who is in turn searching for lost treasure; the other is the
Liza Perrat
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I greatly enjoyed this author’s first two crime novels––The Charter and Closure––set along the wild and beautiful Anglesey coast, so much so that I’ve put the north Wales coast on top of my to-visit list. Her third novel––Complicit––set against that same backdrop of stunning scenery certainly did not disappoint either.
Detective Sergeants Gareth Parry and Chris Coleman, along with the feisty and determined new DC, Megan Jones, must stop a murderer who is torturing and killing people for informati
Cathy Speight
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a compelling story that kept my nose firmly between the pages…I did actually guess ‘whodunnit’ before the revelation, but it didn’t mar my enjoyment at all, although I felt ten chapters dedicated to a war some two millennia earlier were rather boring and unnecessary. The relevance of the war to the plot could have been woven into the story in other ways.

Descendants of the Druids involved in that war hold secrets that one person wants to know…badly. So badly, in fact, that serial killing
Kym Hamer
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had a reading challenge prompt for an author with the same name as me and what a great read this turned out to be. The novel shifts between the time of the Druids in AD60 and the current day where local police try to find the killer behind a spate of murders in Anglesey, North Wales and the mix of mystery, history and mysticism makes this a gripping and absorbing crime thriller. Complicit is definitely a surprising 4-star discovery.
Crystal
The characters were weird. Difficult to relate to and seemed like their personalities were too good to be true. They didn't really have any faults.

The story itself was fascinating and I really enjoyed the historic connections to the present day mystery.
Alexander Hawley
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complicit by Gillian Hamer

Gillian Hamer's Druidic tale is enjoyable thanks to its dark humour. The clues in the book make it eminently solvable and I'm thankful that I've got another book by this author on my TBC reading list that I can directly compare. There were a few surprising twists at the end of the book and these made it different from other books that I have read. Although the format of the chapters was somewhat confusing, as the two elements of the story were given their own chapter nu
Jo Barton
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Echoes of the past resonate throughout this cleverly constructed murder mystery which flips effortlessly between the story of the Roman invasion of Mona Insulis and the effects on the Druids of Anglesey two thousand years ago, and the seemingly inexplicable and torturous deaths of a group of individuals who may or may not be part of a secret organisation in present day North Wales.

Like Gillian Hamer’s previous two novels, the stalwart investigative skills of detectives Gareth Parry and Chris Col
Francis Guenette
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and simply couldn’t put it down. If it takes a special reader to enjoy bouncing from AD60 in Northern Wales to a police investigation in 2013, then I must say, I am that reader.

No spoilers in this review – the book is a mystery wrapped in layers of history and I won’t give any of that away. What I can say is that Hamer has the rare ability to make characters come alive with thoughts and emotions that ring true. The reader truly cares about what’s going to happen to these people
Paul Trembling
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The intriguing central premise in this well paced murder mystery is that events of the deep past can have repercussions today. So there are in fact two stories, both centered round the island of Anglesey and the Menai strait (beautifully described throughout). In one story, a Druid priestess faces a bloody invasion by the Roman legion. In the other, Detectives try and solve a series of horrendous murders - all involving women with hidden connections. The author moves between different times, dev ...more
Catriona Troth
Third paranormal crime novel from Triskele stablemate Gillian E Hamer. This time the historical element of the story goes back to the Roman invasion of Anglesey, when the island was the centre of Druidic learning for the whole of Europe. The Romans sought to wipe out the druids, but never wholly succeeded. Certain traditions have been passed down from mother to daughter for generations. And even today, it would seem, some of those secrets are worth killing for.

One of the pleasures of reading the
JJ Marsh
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The third book I’ve read by this author and this is another edge-of-the-seat nailbiter which does not disappoint. Once again, the setting is the glorious north coast of Wales. But this time, an ugliness blights the landscape. Someone is torturing and killing older people for information. The contemporary crime story is threaded through by a second narrative, illustrating the long-lost indigineous culture of the Druids. As these two threads grow increasingly intertwined, we come to understand muc ...more
Michelle
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
having read and enjoyed The Charter by Gillian Hamer I thought I'd try another of her novels.
Again set in Anglesey, and Bangor, this is a tale of greed and murder.
Well written, with historical inserts about the Druids and Romans, this is a thriller with quite a few murders.
Good read.
Sarz
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, I guessed the murderer far too quickly, which made the remainder of tbe book much less interesting. There was also at least 2 more deaths than there needed to be imho. The flashbacks were interesting though.
Kate
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third of Gillian's books I've read and I have to say I was gripped. Tight plotting, good characterisations and clever twists to keep me guessing. I thought I'd sussed this one but I got it wrong! Yet the clues were all there. Good work!
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Sep 18, 2015
Diane Stancliff
rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2014
UK Amazon Kindle ...: Gillian Hamer 1 10 Jul 05, 2013 05:53AM
The Mystery, Crim...: Reviews Required 1 20 Jul 05, 2013 04:47AM
UK Book Club: Guest Blog Post 2 18 Jun 15, 2013 07:00AM
The Mystery, Crim...: Guest Blog Post 1 9 May 30, 2013 05:52AM

• The Orchard of Hope (The Orphanage of Miracles, #2)
  • Humidity Rising
  • Zero at the Bone (Frank Swann, #2)
  • Propinquity
  • Dynam
  • The Dragon Sisters (The Dragon Sisters Trilogy, #1)
  • The Jewel of Kamara
  • New School & Other Stuff (The Wig #2)
  • Tipping Sacred Cows: The Uplifting Story of Spilt Milk and Finding Your Own Spiritual Path in a Hectic World
  • Dangerous Connections (Blackthorne, Inc., #5)
  • Montfort: The Early Years -  1229 to 1243 (Monfort, #1)
  • There in the Darkness
  • Safe Hex With a Vampire (Psy-Vamp #2)
  • The Goodreads Killer
  • Because of the Secret
  • The Surgeon's Wife
  • In Search of A Revolution
  • An Eye on the Sparrow: The Bird Lover's Bible
Crime and thriller writer, founder member of author's collective Triskele Books, and regular contributor to Words with Jam Magazine.

For blog updates see -http://triskelebooks.blogspot.co.uk/